Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
kmelissa
0 Kudos

4, 5, 6? How Many Horcruxes Are There???

On another thread, there was a mini-debate on exactly how many horcruxes LV was able to make, and how many are left to find. There are many theories....please feel free to post your opinions here.
Frequent Contributor
kmelissa
0 Kudos

Re: 4, 5, 6? How Many Horcruxes Are There???

Here is my list:

horcrux #1:diary- destroyed
horcrux #2: ring-destroyed
horcrux #3: cup
horcrux #4: locket
horcrux #5: unknown
horcrux #6: failed to create when attempting to kill harry

part #7--bit of soul in LV's body

i believe there are only 3 horcruxes left to find and only one that is unknown.
Frequent Contributor
MsJinx
0 Kudos

This makes it really interesting, then, if Harry continues to search for that last horcrux, which may not exist. He will delay killing LV because of it. This could go on forever, unless LV tells someone exactly how many there were!

kmelissa wrote:
Here is my list:

Frequent Contributor
wehrwein82
0 Kudos

1. the diary
2. gaunt ring
3. slytherin locket
4. hufflepuff cup
5. ravenclaw something
6. gryffindor something

i think DD was wrong in suggesting nagini, and i do believe he found something of ravenclaw's and gryffindor's - what they are, i'm not sure. gryffindor's could be the sword, the sorting hat, that armor on the UK DH cover...who knows? ravenclaw - the only thing i've heard would be the wand at olivander's that harry sees in SS. this coud also explain olivander's disapearance.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Here is my list:

horcrux #1: diary- destroyed
horcrux #3: Hufflepuff cup
horcrux #4: Slytherin locket - possibly destroyed but probably not.
horcrux #5: Ravenclaw something - wand or tiara
horcrux #6: Nagini

Three that have to be found PLUS One (Nagini) which is with Voldemort.
Frequent Contributor
kmelissa
0 Kudos

MsJinx wrote:
This makes it really interesting, then, if Harry continues to search for that last horcrux, which may not exist. He will delay killing LV because of it. This could go on forever, unless LV tells someone exactly how many there were!

kmelissa wrote:
Here is my list:

presumming that harry doesn't figure out or get wind of how many horcruxes LV actually made....i think that he could be looking for horcruxes forever also can be said for the fact he doesn't know what the horcruxes are in the first place, except for two, and he doesn't have a clue as to where either of them are!
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

I believe that kmelissa's list is correct, with the unknown 5th Horcrux being something from Ravenclaw. In lieu of creating a Horcrux with something from Gryffindor, Voldemort later used Nagini.

Incidentally, do we know where and/or when Voldemort obtained Nagini? I thought it would be kind of funny if she turned out to be the python Harry freed from the zoo.
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

kpeterson32 wrote:
I believe that kmelissa's list is correct, with the unknown 5th Horcrux being something from Ravenclaw. In lieu of creating a Horcrux with something from Gryffindor, Voldemort later used Nagini.

Incidentally, do we know where and/or when Voldemort obtained Nagini? I thought it would be kind of funny if she turned out to be the python Harry freed from the zoo.

I have to remember to add that Brazilian Boa Constrictor to the question list!

I actually thought about the possibility of Nagini being the same creature, but then I realized that Nagini was slithering all around Harry at the rebirth party and if there was any kind of recognition, one would expect her to show it then. Also, the movie used a male voice for the Boa Harry let free and Nagini is a female. Finally, Harry is going to have to kill Nagini... it would be terrible if he just freed the snake to kill it later, don't you think?
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

Wasn't Nagini the snake that bit Arthur Weasley in the MoM? If I remember correctly that snake was venomous which might have been why his wounds were so difficult to heal. Boa constrictors are not venomous, I believe, and kill their prey by crushing them. If I'm correct then Nagini couldn't be the snake from SS/PS. If i have erred please correct me.

========================================================================================

Psychee wrote:

kpeterson32 wrote:

I have to remember to add that Brazilian Boa Constrictor to the question list!

I actually thought about the possibility of Nagini being the same creature, but then I realized that Nagini was slithering all around Harry at the rebirth party and if there was any kind of recognition, one would expect her to show it then. Also, the movie used a male voice for the Boa Harry let free and Nagini is a female. Finally, Harry is going to have to kill Nagini... it would be terrible if he just freed the snake to kill it later, don't you think?

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

dcsbelle wrote:
Wasn't Nagini the snake that bit Arthur Weasley in the MoM? If I remember correctly that snake was venomous which might have been why his wounds were so difficult to heal. Boa constrictors are not venomous, I believe, and kill their prey by crushing them. If I'm correct then Nagini couldn't be the snake from SS/PS. If i have erred please correct me.

No, dcsbelle, you're absolutely right. I forgot that the type of snake was changed from a boa constrictor to a python from the book to the film, but then...pythons are non-venomous too, so I was wrong on both counts. Thank you!
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

LOL! I dom't even know the difference between a boa constrictor and a python! All I know is venomous and non.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kpeterson32 wrote:

dcsbelle wrote:
Wasn't Nagini the snake that bit Arthur Weasley in the MoM? If I remember correctly that snake was venomo
us which might have been why his wounds were so difficult to heal. Boa constrictors are not venomous, I believe, and kill their prey by crushing them. If I'm correct then Nagini couldn't be the snake from SS/PS. If i have erred please correct me.

No, dcsbelle, you're absolutely right. I forgot that the type of snake was changed from a boa constrictor to a python from the book to the film, but then...pythons are non-venomous too, so I was wrong on both counts. Thank you!

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

dcsbelle wrote:
LOL! I dom't even know the difference between a boa constrictor and a python! All I know is venomous and non.

All right, fine! I admit it! I looked in Wikipedia... (hangs head in shame)
Frequent Contributor
StoryMing
0 Kudos

To answer the original question:
There may possibly be as many as 5 horcruxes left- or as few as 3.

We know Voldemort wanted 6 (plus the soul in his body, for a seven-part soul). Two have been destroyed- the diary and the ring- leaving presumably 4 to find, 2 of which are almost certainly the Slytherin locket and Hufflepuff cup. We are not sure what the others are, though DD thought the snake Nagini might be one.

If Voldemort was trying to create his 6th and final horcrux with baby Harry's death, and failed, he may still be one short- if he has made no others since- leaving only 3 now to find, since 2 are gone.

If Harry himself became an accidental 6th horcrux- one which Voldemort did not realize he had created- and if, thinking he still had only 5, Voldemort went and created a further additional horcrux since regaining power, there may be a grand total of 7 horcruxes: 2 destroyed, 4 left to find, plus Harry (or his scar)- and an 8th piece of soul left in Voldemort's body.
New User
ambermarie
0 Kudos

wasn't there a tiara in the Room of Requirements?
in that case, isn't it possible that one could be hidden in hogwarts.
i also think one might have been destroyed while trying to kill harry.
Frequent Contributor
kmelissa
0 Kudos

ambermarie wrote:
wasn't there a tiara in the Room of Requirements?
in that case, isn't it possible that one could be hidden in hogwarts.
i also think one might have been destroyed while trying to kill harry.

you know, i originally had that thought, until i was on a thread that had a mini-debate on the matter. i was thinking that if ANY bit of soul was destroyed than that was one less horcrux--but after reading and understanding how others explained how horcruxes work, then it made more sense to me that the bit of soul in him couldn't die until all of the horcruxes were destoyed first, thus the bit of soul is not a horcrux. what are your thoughts on that theory?
Frequent Contributor
Science-Faire
0 Kudos

Did LV use a Horcrux to come back to life on the back of Quirrell's head? If he did and Harry can find out what LV used as a horcrux and where Quirrell found it, that may give him further clues on where to look.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Welcome to the board!

That was a good idea, but Voldemort does not have to "use" a horcrux to "come back to life". He still had the part of his soul from his old body, remember? The horcruxes just keep him from dying. They can stay hidden and away from him no matter how many times he loses a body.

When he was inside Quirrel's head, he was just "vapor" -- "Vapormort".

"Vapormort" got a "rudimentary body" aka "LittleDemonMort" by a potion that he invented himself. He got Wormtail to brew it for him.

Then "LittleDemonMort" used ancient magic to make the body that used Harry's blood.

He didn't "use" a horcrux for any of these.
Contributor
Moridin
0 Kudos

Harry doesn't need to find them all imo. In fact, I don't think he will. Voldemort can still be stopped and "killed", just like he was when he attacked harry, and he can still live on at the end. I think that there will be one horcrux left to find still at the end of the book to make for a better ending. more suspense that way.

Oh, and my list:

1. Diary
2. Locket
3. Cup
4. Ravenclaw's thingy
5. Ring
6. Voldemort

He failed to create horcrux seven, and is confident that he won't need to make it until harry is dead. He will use harry's death to make it. (p.s. I am of the opinion that harry is a horcrux as well, but voldemort doesn't realize it)
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

Moridin, if you think Harry is a horcrux, why isn't that on your list? Maybe it's just me, but you seem like you're contradicting yourself.
Contributor
Moridin
0 Kudos

I listed the ones that i think will be dealt with