Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
blinkgirl89
0 Kudos

Re: A Reading List: Harry and Beyond

you since DH i have not read anything new but my text books. i sometimes reread parts of the books that i like as i don't want to start anything new and not finish it. i have been wanting to read twilight.
LAKERS 2009 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

"PIGFARTS, IS ON MARS"
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Re: The Obsessive Reader adds his piece!

Christopher Paolini actually admitted to borrowing from Star Wars? Good! I'm glad he was honest.
By the way, does anyone know what the title of the next book is??? (Rumors are A.O.K. :smileywink:)
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
LovelyLuna
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Well, I've been reading Good Calories Bad Calories, if anyone has trouble with sticking to or losing on a low fat diets this guy has looked into the research (a lot of which has been over looked and misintrepreted) of like 150 years.

I had to return all my HP books to the library. I'm letting my DH think I'm over it. I'm not but I got tired of the bugging. I'll bring em back when he's not looking.

Message Edited by LovelyLuna on 11-28-2007 04:00 PM
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a Gift, that's why they call it "The Present."
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Fantasyrules!

~ConnieK

Fantasyrules wrote:
The bartimaues trilogy was great and so was Artemis Fowl. I would also recommend
-Harry Potter
-Dark is rising
-Dark materials
-Pendragon
-Lost years of merlin
-(Alex Rider) not really like HP but still very very good
-Dune by Frank Helbert
-Inheritance Trilogy (soon)

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Reader
jefzgyrl
0 Kudos

Anyone who likes to read might find the Faerie Wars by Herbie Brennen. I also have enjoyed the first two books in the FableHaven Series by Brandon Mull. My mom has found the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage most interesting.
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Welcome to the boards! I have read the Septimus Heap series, and though I liked the first three books a lot, the parallels to Harry Potter are by far too numerous.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
SnapeIsMyHomie
0 Kudos

Hey, I'm knew... :smileyhappy:
.Snape Is My Homie.

Once in a while, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Hey, homie, there are other boards if you like. I'm about to go into the Writing Room, mind joining me? :smileytongue:

Just click "Choose a Discussion" and scroll down to the Writing Room. You don't have to, but the 'can you tell me the truth about you' thread is always fun. :smileyhappy:
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome the Harry Potter Book Club, jefzgyrl!

~ConnieK

jefzgyrl wrote:
Anyone who likes to read might find the Faerie Wars by Herbie Brennen. I also have enjoyed the first two books in the FableHaven Series by Brandon Mull. My mom has found the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage most interesting.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
SnapeIsMyHomie
0 Kudos

ABI wrote:
Hey, homie, there are other boards if you like. I'm about to go into the Writing Room, mind joining me? :smileytongue:

Just click "Choose a Discussion" and scroll down to the Writing Room. You don't have to, but the 'can you tell me the truth about you' thread is always fun. :smileyhappy:

Okay, I'll check it out! :smileyvery-happy:
.Snape Is My Homie.

Once in a while, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale.
New User
anabbeynormality
0 Kudos

One of my favorite books as a kid was The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm by Nancy Farmer. I've reread it a few times since then and still really enjoy it. There are multiple mysteries in this book where three overly-sheltered children in a future Zimbabwe are kidnapped and detectives are hired to find them. Meanwhile, you also follow the children as they not only unravel where they are but also navigate a world that they've never been exposed to.

Also, I really liked the Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake. Its gothic and may not be for everybody. I read it as a mid-teen and it took me a while to get through, but it was unlike anything I had read or have read since. I plan to read it again soon, now that I've graduated college and have more time.

Also, I think this has been mentioned multiple times but I love the His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman. I actually read the Golden Compass when I was about 10 or 11 and loved it. It wasn't until years later that I stumbled upon the sequels having not even realized they existed (which just happened again with The Giver thank to this discussion). I don't believe these books are anti-religious so much as against religion as a governing faction.

I read a short story by Anne McCaffrey about the Dragonriders of Pern as a kid and started reading the books. They were one of the main things that got me reading as a kid. There are about 900 thousand of them and they get old after a while, but the first few Dragonflight, Dragonquest and The White Dragon are pretty good. If anyone really likes the rider/dragon connection in Eragon, I'm pretty sure that was copied from these books.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, anabbey! Thank you for your reading suggestions!

~ConnieK

anabbeynormality wrote:
One of my favorite books as a kid was The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm by Nancy Farmer. I've reread it a few times since then and still really enjoy it. There are multiple mysteries in this book where three overly-sheltered children in a future Zimbabwe are kidnapped and detectives are hired to find them. Meanwhile, you also follow the children as they not only unravel where they are but also navigate a world that they've never been exposed to.

Also, I really liked the Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake. Its gothic and may not be for everybody. I read it as a mid-teen and it took me a while to get through, but it was unlike anything I had read or have read since. I plan to read it again soon, now that I've graduated college and have more time.

Also, I think this has been mentioned multiple times but I love the His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman. I actually read the Golden Compass when I was about 10 or 11 and loved it. It wasn't until years later that I stumbled upon the sequels having not even realized they existed (which just happened again with The Giver thank to this discussion). I don't believe these books are anti-religious so much as against religion as a governing faction.

I read a short story by Anne McCaffrey about the Dragonriders of Pern as a kid and started reading the books. They were one of the main things that got me reading as a kid. There are about 900 thousand of them and they get old after a while, but the first few Dragonflight, Dragonquest and The White Dragon are pretty good. If anyone really likes the rider/dragon connection in Eragon, I'm pretty sure that was copied from these books.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Hey cons? Just a question.. when is barnes and noble ever going to have a book club for more hip books? Just a suggestion. We have so many younger readers who might want genres that they can more relate to. ;o
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Hi, mrsrw--What do you mean by "hip" books?

~ConnieK

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
Hey cons? Just a question.. when is barnes and noble ever going to have a book club for more hip books? Just a suggestion. We have so many younger readers who might want genres that they can more relate to. ;o

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

a few things I've enjoyed/tackled lately:

the Dark Materials series:
honestly I found the ending a bit anticlimactic, and I thought while the story was original and engaging most of the characters lacked the humor and personality that I like to see in a novel. Maybe I missed something. They're good books, but I felt they could have been so much more.

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian: HILARIOUS novel about Ukrainian immigrants living in England - a funny old widower, a horrible woman who marries him and makes his life a living hell, and his two squabbling daughters who must stop her at all costs.

Breakfast of Champions (by the late great Kurt Vonnegut) - I'm not really sure how to describe this book. It is extremely subversive, avant-garde fiction steeped in 60s ideology, with hilarious (and often crude) handdrawn illustrations. A good introduction to V's work (I'm just beginning w/ Kurt, and open to furthur recommendations)
Frequent Contributor
bookgirl205
0 Kudos

Hey,
I need to know some great book lik harry potter ! Reccomendations?????????

Book Girl205
Im with the vampires of course.... Bella Swan
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

I mean book that would appeal more to the younger generations as well.
All though we are allowed to open up our own threads, still its different when the word comes from barnes and nobles and of course the moderators. ‘

Id like to see more book discussions with their own boards like this one for HP, about teens, love, women…
Anyway that was just a thought dear conniekins. :smileysurprised:

Hey booky, it depends. I cant give you recommendations ‘cause I don’t have a clue what your type is when it comes to books. But there’s a lot of discussion boards here, there’s teen reads, the one for romance, fiction, sci-fi.. :smileysurprised:
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Re: A Reading List: Harry and Beyond: Tolkien

We are just warming up in Fantasy & Science Fiction for a stint with Tolkien's The Hobbit and Lord of the Ring. After all this is where it all began and there are a lot of similarities between HP and LOTR. It will have its own board in February:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board?board.id=fsf

--------------------------------
A Moderator-led discussion of The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien.
Begin a journey through the works of Tolkien with The Hobbit. Bilbo Baggins, a respectable, well-to-do hobbit, lives comfortably in his hobbit-hole until the day the wandering wizard Gandalf chooses him to take part in an adventure from which he may never return.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

My best recommendation for book club ideas is to PM Jessica.

~ConnieK

mrsronaldweasley wrote, in part:
Id like to see more book discussions with their own boards like this one for HP, about teens, love, women…

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
Whitney21
0 Kudos

I have read Harry Potter and the sorcerers stone and Harry Potter and The chamber of Secrets. I have to read Prisoner of Azkaban next. Has anybody read that yet?