Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: A Reading List: Harry and Beyond

[ Edited ]
Yes; your little 8-year-old brother may just be refusing your efforts because "big sis" is a big reader and that's *her* thing--he wants to have an identity separate from yours, so somehow you and your family need to help him find a way to make reading *his* thing. Maybe you can make a big deal over something like, "I'd never read any of THOSE books!" and he might pick *those* books up! He may also follow your example more than you think--if you leave for college soon, be sure to leave some of your books around (maybe just casually tossed somewhere rather than ceremonially given to him, though that would be nice, and he might like that, too). He may pick 1 or 2 up when he's missing you (which he will very much but probably won't admit)! Also, as has been mentioned, some readers prefer magazines to books. He might like a subscription to a magazine in an area of his interest--you might take him to B&N's big magazine section (or another store where they have a range of mags. for different ages) and let him browse to see what he likes; maybe buy one or two before committing to a full subscription, in other words. Does he like news? TIME FOR KIDS is a nice publication for this age (sort of like _Weekly Reader_ but glossy and more grown-up looking).

Readers do tend to kick in big time around 4th and 5th grades, so he might be just ready to 'launch,' or he could be waiting for, or simply needing, a subject that will draw him in. I'd also ask my local librarian for tips, and maybe my English teacher. Many boys do face this problem being a boy among boys more than girls do among girls growing up, unfortunately--I know; I hate it, too, and I agree that the stereotype should offend all boy readers! I also like the idea of reading with him. Did your parents read to both of you? Do they still read with him, or is that something only you do now? Do you read around him, or more often after he goes to bed? Does he associate you and books with you trying to press them on him or genuinely wanting to *share* the experience of reading (something you enjoy so much) with him? Lots of things to think about and try!

ED.: Oh, and another idea--some readers (esp. boys, for some reason) prefer non-fiction to fiction. If you've only been suggesting novels, you might take him to the library and see what he picks up on his own from the non-fiction section.

Good luck to you--how nice that you, as his big sister, want to encourage your little brother in reading! What a nice sister to have! He's a luckly little boy! :smileywink:

~ConnieK

ABI wrote:
Wow, Thanks guys! Big help...though I've tried HP, and Lemony Snicket (by the way, I used to love those books too!)
I haven't tried Eragon---for same reasons RiftDoggy so clearly stated above, but i suppose i should just try...
And i guess the reason i expect him to read at his age, is well, because I did; and for some reason that just er..gets to me. Plus, everyone says it's bcause he's a BOY. I ask, what's the difference, really? If i were a guy, i'd be terribly insulted! Though sometimes i have to agree...i think he's basically just refusing to read now because he knows i want him to...demon child...

Message Edited by ConnieK on 08-11-2007 09:43 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
amm1
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:
ED.: Oh, and another idea--some readers (esp. boys, for some reason) prefer non-fiction to fiction. If you've only been suggesting novels, you might take him to the library and see what he picks up on his own from the non-fiction section.

This was and is so true with my son. He still won't read anything but what school requires except non-fiction. He will read the largest book on Carthaginian military commander Hannibal and remember every little detail yet doesn't remember much about A Tale of Two Cities.

Good advice. Everyone is different.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

amm1 wrote:

ConnieK wrote:

This was and is so true with my son. He still won't read anything but what school requires except non-fiction. He will read the largest book on Carthaginian military commander Hannibal and remember every little detail yet doesn't remember much about A Tale of Two Cities.

Good advice. Everyone is different.

Exactly! Everyone has different tastes when it comes to reading. Perhaps this kid doesn't like fantasy, maybe he wants something more realistic.

I liked the "Make Reading A Good Experience" idea, too. Making someone associate Reading with Good Times may be a bit manipulative, but if it works, it works!
Frequent Contributor
amm1
0 Kudos

When I was in high school one of my teachers assigned The Grapes of Wrath and I swear I thought I would die reading that horrible book. I dreaded that class. Then later that year we switched classes and the first day I walked into the new class, I saw a table full of various type books. We were to pick one and read at our own pace and then make a report. Now that was a class. Reading for a solid hour is hard to beat. The book I read was Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. I thought it was pretty good.

Later, as a class we read The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton and The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury. I enjoyed both of those immensely. I'm not super picky but there are authors I don't care to read such as John Steinbeck. He brings tears to my eyes and not in a good way. :smileywink:
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Yeah, you guys are right; i don't know, but most people i know---including myself---were in to fantasy at his age; i remember i once declared to the very scornful expression on my mother's face that i would read nothing but fantasy for the rest of my life!
And I'll try the "associate reading with good times thing" but let's remember the kid in question is not my son(thank God"), so I'm not going to spend every waking moment attempting to stuff his face in a book.

I remember the first book i ever read...some kind of murder mystery called Dew Drop Dead...perhaps i'll find it somewhere...

Again, Thanks for the advice!
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
New User
Kate_the_Great
0 Kudos

I have read all of the recommended books outside of Harry Potter, and I wanted to say that as a young reader I would highly recommend the Chronicles of Narnia above any other series, perhaps even Harry Potter. If you are a parent and need books that will capture a child's imagination and attention, these are a perfect chioce. My dad read them to me as a kid and every time i glance back through them it's like going home and being seven years old again.
C.S. Lewis is a master of the pen, and any aspiring author would do well to study all of his works.
New User
Chabrier
0 Kudos

Re: A Reading List: Try visiting Prydain or go back to the time of Immortals

I loved the Chronicles of Prydain series by Lloyd Alexander.

http://www.lloydalexanderbooks.com/

Also a book that is getting some buzz is "Tunnels" by Roderick Gordon, Brian J. Williams. Due out in January of 2008.

Lastly, don't over look Greek and Roman Mythology. I picked up "Tales of Greek Heroes" by Roger Lancelyn Green at the beginning of the summer to read with my young nephews. The adventures of Perseus, the labours of Hercules, the quest of Jason and the Argonauts ..., they loved these stories.
Frequent Contributor
amm1
0 Kudos

Re: A Reading List: Try visiting Prydain or go back to the time of Immortals

The author who wrote sports books for kids is Matt Christopher.

Christopher became well-known for his sports fiction novels for children with over 130 titles bearing his name. He was awarded numerous writing honors from state organizations as well as the 1993 Milner Award. Besides books, he had about 275 short stories and articles published in over 65 children and adult magazines over the years.
http://www.kidsreads.com/series/series-matt-christopher-author.asp
Frequent Contributor
rena64
0 Kudos

My younger daughter doesn't like to read too much either. I read the first chapter or two of "The Invention of Hugo Cabret" By Brian Selznick. The next day she came to me and she was about halfway through the book. She finished it in 2 or 3 days. The book is very big but I think there are only about 200 written pages maybe less (the book itself is 533 pages) . It takes place in France when the first movies were being made. Parts of the story are told in a few pages of pictures at a time (like a movie). The main character is a boy and a girl then comes into the story too.

I also think the Inkheart and Inkspell books by Cornelia Funke are really good too.
Frequent Contributor
amm1
0 Kudos

I got the first four books in the Robert Jordan and The Wheel of Time series. I'm anxious to start. Shadow Cougar, if you read this, is this a finished series? I sure hope so.
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

Um, we are waiting on what is rumored to be the last book.

amm1 wrote:
I got the first four books in the Robert Jordan and The Wheel of Time series. I'm anxious to start. Shadow Cougar, if you read this, is this a finished series? I sure hope so.

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Frequent Contributor
stacielynn
0 Kudos

I liked the "Sweep" Series by Cate Tiernan. It is very dark and talks alot about wicca so I wouldn't recommend it to young children but older children and teens as well as some adults could enjoy the series. There are 14 or 15 books total.
StacieLynn

Why does it have to end?

JKR Please write another book series.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
my cousin is one of the biggest influences in my life. he inspire dme to draw, to listen to music, in terms of fashion an the likes.. but he also inspired me to read, he's a big bookworm! its a shame he's not a member of this club. he has soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many books at home.. i just go out of my ro0m pick one up in his room , by his computer, near the stairs..

Message Edited by mrsronaldweasley on 08-22-2007 05:22 PM
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Stephenie Meyer's vampire book, _Eclipse_ has sometimes "eclipsed" _Deathly Hallows_ at the top of the bestsellers' lists lately (they go back and forth for the top spot, usually with DH bouncing back). This sales feat so soon after the publication of DH prompts me to ask if anyone here has read any of this series, and if so, what do you think of it? [BTW: BN.com also has a new book club dedicated to _Eclipse_.] Meyer is attracting a lot of readers at her book signings, too, apparently. Have you heard of it?

~ConnieK

Message Edited by ConnieK on 08-23-2007 09:02 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

i tried reading "the hobbit" (lotr) i gave up at page 15. why brain is swelling from overload! can you guys give me some list of good books?=) and i mean good ok? even if it'sa love story or whatever
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

I have heard of it, it is third in a trilogy of teen vampire romance novels... personally I have no interest in them, as a good vampire story, IMHO, is one in which someone kills the vampire in the end.
(Examples being Dracula by Stoker, Salem's Lot by King, and Vampire$ by Steakley I highly recommend all three as really good books)

ConnieK wrote:
Stephenie Meyer's vampire book, _Eclipse_ has sometimes "eclipsed" _Deathly Hallows_ at the top of the bestsellers' lists lately (they go back and forth for the top spot, usually with DH bouncing back). This sales feat so soon after the publication of DH prompts me to ask if anyone here has read any of this series, and if so, what do you think of it? [BTW: BN.com also has a new book club dedicated to _Eclipse_.] Meyer is attracting a lot of readers at her book signings, too, apparently. Have you heard of it?

~ConnieK

Message Edited by ConnieK on 08-23-2007 09:02 AM

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

This book is an adult book, kids shouldn't read it, but anyone who read Nancy Drew as a kid (70s or before) might like this book. Its a parody of the Nancy Drew books and I'm finding it very entertaining. I keep chuckling as I read it. Its called "Confessions of a Teen Sleuth" by Chelsea Cain. Not only is the content more adult-like, but I think they have changed the books a lot in recent years, even the original series has been rewritten to make it more PC and all that, but if you think back to the original series, the way it was written you may get a kick out of this, I know I am : )
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

I'm reading Mapping the Edge by Sarah Dunant. It's really good, like a 'grown-up thriller' really---well, more, er...intellectual. Not for kids, but for adults, it's an extremely interesting, and yet somehow fun read. i love the way she writes though---this book from different perspectives. including great, and stunningly real characters, and emotions shown by them.
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
valeriefrankel
0 Kudos

Fantastic YA books include
The Neverending Story (a great fantasy epic for kids)
Stardust (sweet fantasy adventure)
Dealing with Dragons and series (Mixed up, very funny fairy tales)
anything by Terry Pratchett (such super silly fantasy)
Valerie Frankel
Author of Henry Potty and the Pet Rock:
An Unauthorized Harry Potter Parody
www.HarryPotterParody.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

My sister, who is as much a Harry Potter fan as I am, just handed me three books that she says are wonderful... they are a trilogy by Trudi Canavan... The first one is called "The Magician's Guild", the second, "The Novice", and the third "The High Lord". Has anyone read them?