Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
Jules934

About Snape's Death

Snape never intended to give his life to save Harry.  At no time did he go to Voldemort with the intention of giving up his own life for any reason.  It would have done no good; Voldemort would have just killed him, as he in fictional-fact did, and continued on toward Harry. 

That he risked his life is true.  But he did it out of love for Lily, and a bit of his own conceit.

Severus Snape, the bravest character in literature. 

Distinguished Correspondent
dobys_girl_55

Re: About Snape's Death

I felt real bad for Snape in the seventh book.  I mean he had to pretend to be the bad guy while all of the good guys think he is bad.  He had to hang out with enemies all day.  He had no friends and he had to kill one of the friends that he did have (dumbledore).  I would not like to be him at all during that time.  But I do think that he is very brave. 

You gotta hurt in order to know, fall in order to grow, lose in order to gain, because most of lifes lessons are learned because of pain
Wordsmith
Sheripie55

Yes, I agree with you Doby'sgirl. Snape was brave and his life had to be aweful in the seventh movie. He did it all for Lily. If voldemort hadn't touched Lily and let her live, I think Snape would have stayed loyal to him. And Snape's death was depressing. I felt horrible cause he was a good guy all the while, and he died with the image of a bad guy. It's sad. Even if the others found out later because Harry told them, Snape didn't get to see people recognize his efforts and risks. I respect Snape for what he had to do.

don't look back, there is a reason why your past is the past. so if someone didn't make it into your future. that just means that you will find someone better.
Correspondent
Reader1793
0 Kudos

There is only 1 word for this. *cry*. :.( "To the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure."
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. - EAP
Distinguished Wordsmith
Intrigued_by_Romance
0 Kudos

I have to admit that Snape is my favorite character.  I had a strange feeling throughout all of the Harry Potter books that Snape played a key role in all of this.  I was so sad when he died.  It just goes to show you that you will do anything for someone you truly love.

I know what you are saying.....how can you like the character after all he has put Harry and his friends through, but in the end you see what kind of charcter is truly is. 

J.K. Rowling is a AWESOME writer.  To have that mind set throughtout all the books is truly a gifted individual.

New User
hermione207

I hated snape through all the books so when his true colours were shown I nearly cried and slapped myself at the same time. I was shocked at myself for being such a hater and surprised at Snape. I now have a new found respect for snape and will stay there untill I die.

TO SNAPE!

Wordsmith
Sheripie55
0 Kudos

I hated snape throughout all of the books too... and when i found out he was a good guy i felt like crap.

don't look back, there is a reason why your past is the past. so if someone didn't make it into your future. that just means that you will find someone better.
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

I think that there was a lot of people that hated Snape. But all in all he played his part so well, and JK wrote so well that we all believed that he was the person he portrayed til the end. Well Done!!

LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

I read all of the HP books thinking that Snape played a key role in the story but I wasn't sure how. I'm still choked up by the way he died and the story we all learned with his memories.

Snape is my favorite character, its a testament to how phenomenal a writer JK Rowling is that we didn't know that he was a (flawed) good guy.

Contributor
luckycharm6139
0 Kudos

I to have to admit that even though Snape appears to be the bad guy throughout the story line, he really was in fact the hero. Snape had to play both sides, being on the good team as well as the bad and he did both very well. He had Valdemort and his gang fooled right up until the end.

Dumbeldore knew that Snape was just misunderstood. He just became hardened in life because he had grown up being misunderstood and basicly bullied in school by Harrys father James. When Harrys mother fell in love and married James is when Snape started to follow Valdemort, but when it came down to he he made the deal with Dumbeldore to protect Lilly when she was on Valdemorts hit list.

Yes, love can make people do things that sometimes go against a persons nature, and it can also go to show just how far a person will go to protect those that you love just as Snape did.

I find Snape to be a very admiral person in the quest he undertook to protect Harry, just because he truely loved Harrys mother Lilly. Snape also agreed to end Dumbeldores life even though he did not want to. At Dumbeldores request, and knowing it was the only way that Valdemort would have no doubts about what side he was on. it had to be done. Thats why I admire Snape.

Contributor
darkfallenangelz
0 Kudos

Snape  death  is  probably  the  only  death  in HP that  really  hit  me  hard.  I  was  crying for  a  few  days , and  to  this day  everytime  I  read  about his  death  I ache,  He  truly  did  love  Lily.