Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Anyone Reading 1-7?

Most Harry Potter readers are currently working their way through DEATHLY HALLOWS or are maybe even indulging in a reread right away. Many are taking their time digesting what they have read and are discussing the story and their feelings about it in forums like our book club and with their friends and family. One of the points that keeps coming up is how much fun it will be, now that the whole story is written, to read the entire series from start to finish. It may be way too early to ask this, but is anyone out there planning to read Books 1-7 right away? If so, are you eager to make note of the foreshadowings that you may have missed before in the earlier books, despite perhaps reading them more than once? If not, do you think you will eventually want to do this, and if so, when? In a few days? weeks? months? longer?

We might also use this thread as a place to start some initial conversations about the series as a whole.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
casstrot
0 Kudos

Re: Anyone Reading 1-7?

I love reading books in the order, I actually started the series over back in May, but I ended up reading them so quickly I was done by the end of May so it wasn't as close in order as I would have liked it to be. I will definately read 1-7, just not sure when. I sped through DH so I was thinking of just going back and reading that one and catching on to things I may have missed. I will probably start reading 1-7 after that, but will be taking my time reading them.
Frequent Contributor
amm1
0 Kudos

I won't be reading the books for a very, very long time. I'm sorry, I seem to be the only one so disappointed with Deathly Hallows. I have loved this series for a great amount of time, and now...well...books 1-6 were great. Seven can sit on the shelf. Maybe I'll come back to it years from now. There were some good things in it.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm definitely going to re-read the series, but right now I'm still coming to terms with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

I'm worried that the first few books will lack the emotional depth of Book 7. I mean, I've grown up with these books, and I'm worried that they'll seem...kiddie? I'm sure I'm wrong, since Rowling wrote the story as one, complete sequence, so I'm sure every book has some important themes within, but I'm still worried. What if I don't like the series as much as I used to?

Still, I've got half a week off, so I'm probably going to start soon and get some headway. But I'm rereading the final chapters of Deathly Hallows, and that will take an hour or two, total.

God, I love this book. Is this anyone else's favorite?
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

I can't help myself, even thought I was disappointed with book 7, I'm going to re-read it and try to gather more depth in hopes that she's going to release some kind of other book. Anyway, as disappointed as I am in the missing things and lack of depth, I started reading it outloud to my boyfriend last night and when I'm done, I'm going to re-read the series. However, if my re-read to him isn't any less frustrating than my first read, I may stop at HBP in my re-read lol.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

*This is a serious question*

How does Book 7 lack depth? This was, hands down, my favorite of the books. There was more action, mystery, and emotion than in any of the others. And, it was the best written (which makes sense, seeing as she's been improving as she goes).
Frequent Contributor
Cammy
0 Kudos

Not yet. I need to re-read 7 first. With all books that I have been waiting for the end of a series I read the last book "emotionally", then I go back and re-read from a more "intellectual" standpoint. I'll take a break after that and go back and read 1-7 a couple of months from now.

On a side note, my sister is a big fan too. So, as soon as I finished reading yesterday I called her to see if she was done yet, because I desperately wanted to discuss it with her. Imagine my surprise when she hadn't even gotten the book yet. She is finishing her re-read of the first 6 and is only on book 3! We joked about her having "utterly failed me" a lot... LOL! I was very good though, I didn't even mention one hint about what happened I just said I was satisfied :smileywink:
~~Never mess with a dragon, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!~~
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

I'm not saying it didn't have ANY depth, but as I think amm1 said, the kids kept travelling around (which is fine), but in my opinion, I wanted more depth with Godric's Hollow and Snape and afterward, there wasnt any kind of mourning for Fred. This book kind of reminds me of OOTP movie where the depth is gone. I found the first chapter hard to read and rather boring and I just wish she had put that into a more compact chapter and saved some room for something else in the book that would have given me some deeper emotional connection to the event.

RiftDoggy wrote:

How does Book 7 lack depth? This was, hands down, my favorite of the books. There was more action, mystery, and emotion than in any of the others. And, it was the best written (which makes sense, seeing as she's been improving as she goes).

B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

I think I stand in the middle on this. There were some things I was disappointed with, but I enjoyed the book...The Battle of Hogwarts is what brought it all together for me.

(and as a side note, I'm stubborn, so: Snape's evil, McG is evil, and Harry's not a Horcrux, I don't care what the book says. :smileytongue: )

PattyBNUChick wrote:
I'm not saying it didn't have ANY depth, but as I think amm1 said, the kids kept travelling around (which is fine), but in my opinion, I wanted more depth with Godric's Hollow and Snape and afterward, there wasnt any kind of mourning for Fred. This book kind of reminds me of OOTP movie where the depth is gone. I found the first chapter hard to read and rather boring and I just wish she had put that into a more compact chapter and saved some room for something else in the book that would have given me some deeper emotional connection to the event.

RiftDoggy wrote:

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

lol. Like I said, I'm writing my own hehe. I think some day in the far future, we could have a McEvil reunion : )

ShadowCougar wrote:
I think I stand in the middle on this. There were some things I was disappointed with, but I enjoyed the book...The Battle of Hogwarts is what brought it all together for me.

(and as a side note, I'm stubborn, so: Snape's evil, McG is evil, and Harry's not a Horcrux, I don't care what the book says. :smileytongue:

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
From what I'm hearing, you're not the only reader who is disappointed in the last book by far, amm1! Do you think a re-read or a series read might alter your initial emotional reaction, help put DH in context of the other 6, as it were, or do you think it's bye-bye Harry for you from now on? As people talk about what they like in the book, might that influence you on taking another look, do you think?

~ConnieK

amm1 wrote:
I won't be reading the books for a very, very long time. I'm sorry, I seem to be the only one so disappointed with Deathly Hallows. I have loved this series for a great amount of time, and now...well...books 1-6 were great. Seven can sit on the shelf. Maybe I'll come back to it years from now. There were some good things in it.

Message Edited by ConnieK on 07-23-2007 09:27 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, I'm about to start Philosopher's Stone, so I guess I'm reading 1-7, though I already love Deathly Hallows the most. I liked the way Jo finished the sequence, especially, as you guys said, the Battle of Hogwarts. That was just fun.
Frequent Contributor
amm1
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:
From what I'm hearing, you're not the only reader who is disappointed in the last book by far, amm1! Do you think a re-read or a series read might alter your initial emotional reaction, help put DH in context of the other 6, as it were, or do you think it's bye-bye Harry for you from now on? As people talk about what they like in the book, might that influence you on taking another look, do you think?

Maybe time will change my mind but for now, it is bye for Harry but to be honest I always said after the last book was over, it was time for me to move on.

I need to stress that I have loved these books and am not sorry at all for the years I have spent discussing them. I also need to point out that I know JKR could never, ever, please everyone.

It's just...I'm not quite sure what is so wonderful about Deathly Hallows. Sure, there were some very good parts in it but it was so boring and choppy at times. I couldn't believe how often I found myself wishing I was already in the next chapter and that is very unusual for me, especially for this series.

For the most part the humor wasn't there and no matter what has been going on in the WW, there has always been humor. But that could have been because there was so much time where we only saw Harry, Hermione and Ron. And look, I love the trio and yes, there were some funny lines between them and in the rest of the book but on the whole, very lacking compared to before.

It was as if JKR had all sorts of things she wanted to do, people to kill off and it was done in such a quick manner, almost as if she just wanted it out of the way. And all those deaths? Ummmm...overdone, almost in a sadist type way. Forgive me for saying so.

As for Harry, I know I'm in the minority on this, but it was just as bad as I expected. For most of the book I just couldn't feel for Harry. His hero status has worn on me over the years and in DH it just got worse. Harry arriving at Hogwarts as the star, once again...fighting in front of the school...overkill. Plain overkill...Hagrid carrying him in front of everyone. Couldn't stand it.

Personally, being such a huge Snape fan, I feel JKR took this most awesome character and decided the only thing Snape could have in life was hell. Hell from his youth, from his days at Hogwarts, to his death. Does one really believe that he died a good death? As someone else put it,

Snape still died hated, misunderstood, without really knowing for sure what will happen. In this JKR really was practically sadistic to Snape: she let him suffer so much and did not even let him have a peaceful death, did not let him experience even a moment of joy. I suspected she would kill him off but not in such a horrifying way.

Over the years, being on mainly Snape forums, I have run across so many abused adults and children who sympathized with Snape, not with Harry. Though Harry obviously suffered and remained such a good person, many others felt they had more in common with Snape. I'm starting to read comments from them now and they don't like the message that was sent.

So yes, for me the book fell short in many areas. Maybe one day I will see things in a different light but for now, DH is nothing more than a so-so book with a few good moments.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thank you for your thoughtful post, amm1. I think the boards should give dissatisfied readers like yourself room to air these impressions. Many people are disappointed; some, I'm hearing, are even downright angry! There is a lot of emotion going around in the discussions of the book in this immediate aftermath period, and I guess I'm finding the intensity of it interesting. People felt strongly connected to this series and its eventual outcome. Some people are feeling betrayed now because of information JKR seemed to have promised fans in her interviews over the years--they didn't get that information in the last book, and now they are upset. I'm pondering how much of those feelings of betrayal are justified or not. On the one hand, JKR invited this in her PR and interviews--she downright teased readers with promises that they'd have their questions answered in the last book. On the other hand, she was clearly working on a 7-book work-in-progress, so the book had to stay open and flexible for change as she worked on it. Some fans are now saying she lied to them and are deserting, hurt and angry. I hear it's pretty intense in some circles. It's not so much, I think, that they didn't like the ending; it's that they felt she did not do all that she promised. But what does an author owe to his/her fans, though, other than to end the series as s/he saw fit? I'm not sure what I think of this issue just yet...anyway; I just wanted to assure you that you're not alone, just perhaps in the minority of those posting on these boards.

~ConnieK

amm1 wrote, in part:
So yes, for me the book fell short in many areas. Maybe one day I will see things in a different light but for now, DH is nothing more than a so-so book with a few good moments.

Message Edited by ConnieK on 07-23-2007 02:12 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

I'm rereading DH first; I found it very emotionally draining and exhausting the first time around and now that I've had time to process it and read what others have posted I feel I'm ready to have another go at it.

I had already started rereading the series (British versions) and was up to GoF by release night so I will pick up from there and continue on through the seventh. Somehow, although I do like DH overall now, I expect to like it more after a few rereadings.

When my audio CD's finally arrive I know I'll be needing a truckload of tissues while listening to it so maybe I'll wait awhile.
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
valeriefrankel
0 Kudos

I watched movie 4 at home, 5 in the theater, bits of 5 the book (as in the cool scenes the movie skipped) 6 the book, and the next day, book 7!

I think I'm good, though I'll reread 7 soon I suppose.

A few bits stood out, like "that nasty boy" telling Lily about Azkaban. ALso, "Snape's worst memory" is in fact the day he called Lily a mudblood so she decided they should part ways forever. Losing Lily was much worse for him than showing his underwear in public.
Valerie Frankel
Author of Henry Potty and the Pet Rock:
An Unauthorized Harry Potter Parody
www.HarryPotterParody.com
Contributor
MikeNM
0 Kudos

I'm reading them to my little brother now! He's a lot younger than I am, so it'll be fun to watch him grow up with Harry...
New User
DinaMatt
0 Kudos

I agree with you, amm1. It's almost like an emporer's new clothes situation, where there is so much hype about the finale of the series, that people are not seeing the book as it is.

There was way too much death. The deaths of Hedwig and Dobby, in particular, were ultimately pointless and did not contribute to moving the plot at all. They just added more sadness.

Your points about Snape were spot on. He also died senselessly. I was hoping to see a reconciliation between him and Harry, and he deserved to be part of the happily ever after. He was one of the last living links to Harry's parents. His story line is extremely depressing.

There were too many fighting scenes and too much bloodshed. It probably could have been about 200 pages shorter. This is definitely not a children's series anymore.

I won't be re-reading this part of the series.
Frequent Contributor
Ladybuglver8115
0 Kudos

I think I will eventually get around to reading the whole series but now I realize that there is not rush so why hurry. When I first got DH I wanted to read it so bad but then at the same time I didn't because I knew the sooner I started it the sooner it would all be over and I actually had a very hard time making myself read it. Usually by now I would have read the book at least twice but after I read it the first time (Which I took my time with) I distanced myself from HP for a few days because I just wanted to let it all soak in I think I am now almost ready for a re-read of DH to pick up all the little details although I think it will be awhile before I am ready for the whole series.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm already at Book 4; I just want to read the whole thing in one go, so I can exorcise all of my HP demons (plus, from how new everything seems, I forgot half of what I'd read before). It's not that important to me, I'm just reading HP instead of whatever else I'd be reading in my spare time.