Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Are the books worth reading if you've seen all the movies?

I'm starting this thread for a new discussion brought up by a new member!

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
Vitin
0 Kudos

Re: Special 10th Anniversary Edition of SORCERER'S STONE

Okay! Hook me up to the books. Are they better than the Harry Potter movies? After reading thousands of books myself, I shouldn't be asking such a question. But, there have been exceptions, and I love the movies, with Daniel Radcliffe and the other children, that I can't see myself reading the books, if they're not up to par. Those of you, that have done both, do you recommend that I read the books?. Help me out, okay! Thanks.  I've seen the Sorcerer's Stone over 30 times. I'm over 50, I have a life. A busy one at that. Movies me help to unwind, relax and go off on trips, emotional? maybe! What do you think?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Vitin...  The books are way better than the movies!   They are definitely worth reading, even if you are a busy person with a life and are over fifty! 

The first book is a short one, but as the books progress, they get longer and more detailed. 

The first movie stayed pretty close to the book, but as the books got longer, the movie folks cut out huge chunks of the story.  They also rearranged things -- substituting different characters at times for key components of the plot. 

Don't be surprised if you find yourself hating some of the movie versions (especially Order of The Phoenix)  after you've read the books, though...   They simply could not do the story justice on the screen. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Hello Vitin, welcome to the book club.  There are many of us who are over fifty with busy lives, but the books are well worth the investment of time.  As Psychee says, the first movie was fairly faithful to the book-and I would even extend that statement to the second film, but things go off the rails entirely by GOF.  If you rummage through the hundreds of threads on this board, you will see many discussions on the differences between the books and the films, and I think the books win hands down on the popularity poll.  For me, the films are something to watch when I'm doing the ironing-not to be taken too seriously or require much attention.  The first two books are quite short, and can be read in no time at all.  Give them a try and I think you'll want to carry on reading the rest.  You will probably find a much better way of unwinding and taking a vacation from everyday life by reading the books.  Let us know if you do decide to read the series and what your reaction was. 

Vitin wrote:
Okay! Hook me up to the books. Are they better than the Harry Potter movies? After reading thousands of books myself, I shouldn't be asking such a question. But, there have been exceptions, and I love the movies, with Daniel Radcliffe and the other children, that I can't see myself reading the books, if they're not up to par. Those of you, that have done both, do you recommend that I read the books?. Help me out, okay! Thanks.  I've seen the Sorcerer's Stone over 30 times. I'm over 50, I have a life. A busy one at that. Movies me help to unwind, relax and go off on trips, emotional? maybe! What do you think?

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Welcome, Vitin!  I've given your question its own thread.  Someone was bound to ask this question at some point, and I think it deserves its own space--thanks!

~ConnieK

Vitin wrote:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Contributor
CantWait
0 Kudos

Re: Are the books worth reading if you've seen all the movies?

Hi Vitin,

Excellent question!  I never read an HP book until I had watched the first 4 movies (several times each).  I found with each viewing that I had questions and wanted to know more details about motives and histories.  Starting with the first page of the first book, I was hooked!!!  I have read all of the books several times and love them as much as the movies, probably more. 

While waiting for the last book to be published, I discovered this forum/club.  By reading the posts, I have come to appreciate not only the world that JKR created, but also the research she conducted.  It never occurred to me that there was significance in the type of wood used in the wands.  The more I read here, the more awed I am at the immense effort put forth by JKR to give life to these books.  She could have just created an alternate universe with its own words and names, but she didn't.  She created a world that blends seamlessly with the Muggle world. 

Vitin, I do hope you start reading the books.  And I also hope you return to this forum again and again.  The fans here are wonderful and very knowledgeable.  It is always fun and interesting to discover how perspectives there are on a subject.  Several times I have had an Ah-ha moment after reading a post.

Hope to see you back here.

CantWait 

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

The films omit many of the plots, details, and characters which are found in the books.  Sure, it is possible to omit them, as has been done, but the books make for a much richer entertainment experience.  Personally, I also can't fathom why, even if only watching the films, people don't read the books, if only to find out how the series is going to end-how the battle with Voldemort is resolved. Readers of the books had no choice, we had to wait for the next book, but now, if people really are into the films, they do have a choice of going to the books to find out how things end.

Something Vitin may have to be careful about is reading too many threads on this board-it would contain "spoilers".  We gave up cautioning about spoilers about a year ago, because we had answers to most of our burning questions as revealed in Deathly Hallows.  People who have only watched the films have some unpleasant surprises in store for them, but also some very sweet moments (if they make it to the films).

Vitin said in his/her initial post, that books are generally better than the films-this is not the exception-the books are, at least in my opinion, head and shoulders above the films.  Like CantWait, however, I did get interested in reading the books by watching PofA, so if the films get people intrigued enough to read the books, then they're worth it.

New User
dumbledore1998
0 Kudos

of course they are because the books are soooooo much better than the movies. i mean, the movies are so much different than the books. even though i didnt read the deathly hallows yet i still think the movies are the worst. first of all all the charecters talk in  a british accent and we americans talk in a american accent so how the heck are we supposed to understand what they are saying!!!!!!!!!!
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

lol!  I'll bet you understood all the British actors in Star Wars with their wonderful accents...  But I do know what you are saying about the kids -- I don't think it was their accent so much as the fact that they mumbled their words....  I've said this elsewhere, but I had to turn on subtitles on my DVD to really understand every word they said... they spoke much more clearly when there was a seasoned adult actor in the scene with them, pacing their dialogue better.

dumbledore1998 wrote:
of course they are because the books are soooooo much better than the movies. i mean, the movies are so much different than the books. even though i didnt read the deathly hallows yet i still think the movies are the worst. first of all all the charecters talk in  a british accent and we americans talk in a american accent so how the heck are we supposed to understand what they are saying!!!!!!!!!!

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Hello!  This is a series of british books, written by a british author, about british characters-what would you have them do, recruit actors from Louisiana and make it incomprehensible for the whole world? (apologies to anyone from Louisiana).  Try broadening your horizons, Dumbledore 1998, there's a whole world of people out there who speak with different accents!

dumbledore1998 wrote:

Contributor
LadyJ10
0 Kudos

I would recommend the books over the movies to anyone. Up till about two years ago I had never read a Harry Potter book but I had owned all the movies and had watched them tons of times and loved it! However one of my friends had read them all but the 7th (it hadn't came out yet) and I asked her questions that I had from the movies that I didn't understand or confused me. She simply kept telling me that if I read the books I would understand why some parts in the movie didn't make since and I would be able to answer my own questions. Finally after about a week or two of nagging me to read them I read all six novels in about four months and I lived in the Harry Potter world through the books. It was amazing which is why I now recommend reading books that have been made a movie ESPECIALLY HP!!
"A man has only one life time. But history can remember you forever."
Contributor
goat123
0 Kudos

Hey I am a new member as well :smileyhappy: anyways, the books are so much more amazing than the movies. When you watch the movie, evrything is constructed for you and you cannot come up with your own memories the way that you can with a book. Don't get me wrong, the movies are brilliant, but the books are slightly more so.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Goat123 -- Aberforth, is that you?   :smileyhappy:  Welcome to the Harry Potter book club!

goat123 wrote:

Hey I am a new member as well :smileyhappy: anyways, the books are so much more amazing than the movies. When you watch the movie, evrything is constructed for you and you cannot come up with your own memories the way that you can with a book. Don't get me wrong, the movies are brilliant, but the books are slightly more so.

Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

I don't think anyone is going to disagree that the books are without a doubt worth reading, even if you've seen the films!  I'm echoing everyone's sentiments here, but they are more detailed, you get more backstories on different charactacters, and at times there are crucial plot elements that just didn't make it into the films. 

Aside from this, Jo's writing style is very efficient, dialogue driven, and drives the story forward so that there's never a dull moment.  There are key differences as well; the first two books are shorter and easier to translate into film, so there isn't as much difference there.  In Prisoner of Azkaban you learn alot more about James and his friends, what they were like in the schooldays.  The key 'mystery' in Goblet of Fire is much more developed and detailed; Order of the Phoenix is way darker, and you get a much better sense of Harry's emotional struggles, his grief over the loss of Sirius, and Dumbledore's role in the situation.

I got into reading the series after having seen the first two films; I tried to start with OOTP, but it didn't make any sense so I had to go back and read POA  . . .  at that point I was hooked.

So if you haven't yet, READ THE BOOKS!  you'll be glad you did!

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

goat123 wrote:

Welcome, goat123!  Your sceen name reminds me of Dumbledore's brother.  Ha.  :smileyhappy:

I love your comment about coming up with your own "memories" of the books from reading them first--what a lovely way to put it!

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

Vitin wrote:
Okay! Hook me up to the books. Are they better than the Harry Potter movies?

Dear [insert chosen diety here] yes. I have disliked the last two movies cause they left WAAAAAAY too much out. to the point where I don;t know how they will have certain characters be as important in the movies for DH as they have played down thier importance in the movies. The books are so much better. And the characters other then Harry are much more fleshed out in the books.

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Contributor
TinkPink80
0 Kudos

Should anything but OF COURSE be said to that question! 

I'll admit the first movie I seen before reading the books....I was a nanny in college at the time, and the kids parent's left activities for the weekend, and one of them was going to see the HPSS (all 4 kids had read the book).  I fell asleep during the movie!!!!!! I seen the first 20 minutes and the last 15 minutes ( I sound like a horrible nanny now don't I ?!?!?)  So the kids kept going on and on about how "cool" and "awesome" it was and they couldn't wait to start the 2nd book now!  So after they went to bed that night.... I picked up ole HPSS and I've been hooked since.  I'm sure all of you can relate to the "hooked" factor.  I'm sure I've read the books at least 5 times each, I have the audio versions on my IPOD and I listen to those all the time while in the car.....walking...etc.  I always find I come across things each time I read/hear them that I missed or didn't click the first time around, especially after completing the series. 

I recommend if you don't have time to actually sit and read, check out the audio form at the library, you can listen to them in the car/while cooking/while taking a shower/ whatever trips your trigger!

I must admit though, I love the movies as much as the books.  I love seeing the characters act out what I've read, it completes everything.

Happy Harry reading!

Tink!

"I'm gonna live forever, or die trying."
- Joseph Heller (Catch 22)
Contributor
jose408
0 Kudos

Well,To tell you the truth they have some parts on the book that they dont put on the movie but its up to you becuase am in book 5 and i have watched all the rest expect for 5 but if you think you can read this books than go for it man there nice and i hope you love you them

Wordsmith
Sarah3973
0 Kudos

Vitin wrote:

I love the movies and will watch them any time, any place that they are on.  I've seen all five several times.  I think they are wonderful film adaptations of the even more fabulous books.  That being said, you cannot squeeze several hundreds of pages into 2 hours without losing something, sometimes important things.  If you can find the time, READ THE BOOKS!  You are missing out on so much of the HP adventure by only seeing the films.  Trust me.  Read the books.  Think of the films (especially from the third one on) as Cliff Notes!

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Contributor
garage366
0 Kudos

I loved the movies, but the books are just extra special! I'm 44 and my 9 yr old daughter is reading them for the first time and loves them too (she already loved the movies!). But once you start them, you cannot put them down!!!! Good luck and I hope you love them as much as we all do!! (and yes i cried when i read the last book, because i knew it was the last one)