Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
Posts: 1,987
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Books Like Harry

Can anyone else think of a book as Universal as the Harry series? The only one I can think of is TOm Sawyer.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Books Like Harry



agnijay wrote:
Can anyone else think of a book as Universal as the Harry series? The only one I can think of is TOm Sawyer.




"Universal" in what way? In terms of the themes? In terms of global popularity? In terms of its appeal to all age groups? Or something else?
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
Posts: 2,577
Registered: ‎07-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Books Like Harry

Honestly, I can't think of a series or book as "universal" as HP. Because, I don't think there has ever been one. That's why we're here, isn't it? To study the amazing series that swept the earth with unfathomable appeal to all age groups(and now i sound like the blurb at the back of the hp books ten yrs from now..."read the phenomena that influenced readers world wide more than a decade ago.." by then i'll be out of this place at least..nursing poor old psychee to health:smileywink:..or in an asylum. either way! *smiles brightly** perfectly happy in an asylum...as long as you guys come along too! :smileyhappy:

(where is that hp-rehab thread?)
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Books Like Harry



ABI wrote:
Honestly, I can't think of a series or book as "universal" as HP. Because, I don't think there has ever been one. That's why we're here, isn't it? To study the amazing series that swept the earth with unfathomable appeal to all age groups(and now i sound like the blurb at the back of the hp books ten yrs from now..."read the phenomena that influenced readers world wide more than a decade ago.." by then i'll be out of this place at least..nursing poor old psychee to health:smileywink:..or in an asylum. either way! *smiles brightly** perfectly happy in an asylum...as long as you guys come along too! :smileyhappy:

(where is that hp-rehab thread?)




Yeah, I'm going to have to start taking "Auntie Muriel" lessons soon so ABI can have a nice challenge taking care of me! :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
Posts: 3,373
Registered: ‎07-26-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Books Like Harry

[ Edited ]
We sound like the xmen.. we do not need to be cured. For we are not SICK!

Asylum??/ HAH! I am not crazy!
I work like a hag.
I clean the the house like a normal witch
I replenish my supply of floo powder for surprise visits at my friends house!
I am not crazy!

Anyway, I’d come with you if it means talking non stop to more HP fans like you guys! :smileyvery-happy:

And I cant think of any other book like HP.
Like there’s nobody as ugly as voldemort.

Message Edited by mrsronaldweasley on 10-18-2007 08:19 AM
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Books Like Harry

Yes, agnijay--I'm wondering, too, what you mean by "universal." Mark Twain and Charles Dickens have always both come to my mind in terms of authors who had huge global popularity in their times that are similar to Rowling's. Both Twain and Dickens went on the lecture circuit, gave readings, etc., and got lots of press as a result. Twain went around the world doing so. Is that what you mean?

~ConnieK



agnijay wrote:
Can anyone else think of a book as Universal as the Harry series? The only one I can think of is TOm Sawyer.


~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
Posts: 2,931
Registered: ‎06-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Books Like Harry

Forgive me for popping into this conversation. In the broadest sense, I think universal means just that, people around the globe read the books. In another sense, I think universal means it appeals to people of all ages. I don't know that Dickens would have appealed to young readers, but Twain certainly did.



ConnieK wrote:
Yes, agnijay--I'm wondering, too, what you mean by "universal." Mark Twain and Charles Dickens have always both come to my mind in terms of authors who had huge global popularity in their times that are similar to Rowling's. Both Twain and Dickens went on the lecture circuit, gave readings, etc., and got lots of press as a result. Twain went around the world doing so. Is that what you mean?

~ConnieK



agnijay wrote:
Can anyone else think of a book as Universal as the Harry series? The only one I can think of is TOm Sawyer.





Frequent Contributor
LovelyLuna
Posts: 115
Registered: ‎09-29-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Books Like Harry

Jane Eyre was like that for me. 600 pages in 4 days...when I came up for air it was something that clung around me for days. Prolly one of my faves, after Harry of course. Interestingly, I tried to read some of the authors other books and none of them grabbed me in the same way. Even several Jane Austen books, who Jo loves, I just held on till the end.

To me JE is not really about the romance although that is there, but about someone lifting herself to a better place in life.
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a Gift, that's why they call it "The Present."
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
Posts: 1,987
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Books Like Harry

Actually, Mollywobbles is right. By universal I mean a book that has as much popularity worldwide. How many other books do we know where parties are thrown at midnight for the release of them>
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
PEGSmom
Posts: 375
Registered: ‎05-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Books Like Harry

Right now Jane Austen is everwhere! Well, she has always been popular but now more than ever it seems. Movies/mini series adaptations of all her novels, movies about her (sort of) , movies about book clubs reading her books and TONS of websites! That's the closest I can think of. But I have never seen anything like HP fans wanting to know all the family histories of all the characters etc. That, I think is so cool!
~ PEGSmom~
"It's our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities" Albus Dumbledore
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
Posts: 3,373
Registered: ‎07-26-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Books Like Harry

Is terry mcmillan as popular in other countries? I love her books !
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
Auror_in_Training
Posts: 225
Registered: ‎10-11-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Books Like Harry

The Bible! :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
macross
Posts: 1,204
Registered: ‎10-22-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Books Like Harry

I have to agree with Auror The Bible. And I believe The Lord of the Rings is quite popular and with the release of the movies more so.
On a wing and a prayer.