Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Changes in June

Hello, everyone -

You may have seen the adminstration's announcement this morning in "Announcements."

After the end of May, I will no longer be moderating book clubs here at BN.com.  Other moderators are also leaving.  Some book clubs are being dropped; others are being combined.

I suggest that you address any questions you may have about the future availability of the Harry Potter Book Club to one of the administrators.

It has been my pleasure to moderate the book clubs here at B&N.com.  We've had some great times, haven't we?

I will miss you!

Keep reading!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Re: Changes in June

But Connie, you will be around and post with us "normal folks", won't you?  We would miss you so  much if we never heard from you again!!!!!

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Oh, Connie, this is SO sad!  You have been a STERLING moderator for this board, and I credit you entirely for having maintained this board as the wonderful sanctuary of peace and fun that it has been.  You have been absolutely delightful as a playmate on this board as well, and we will surely miss you terribly.

THANK YOU!

P.S.  Since you can't answer any questions we might have about the future of this board, namely, if there will be a moderator, and if there is, who it may be, might we ask you to get one of the administrators to answer those questions for us in this thread when he or she gets the time?  That will save the administrators from having to answer those questions via PM to us individually.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

NOOOOOOOOOOO! Connie, say it ain't so!

Here I've just found this great book club, and now you are leaving! Waaaaaah!:smileysad:

I did go to the Announcements area, and it looks as though Harry Potter is safe for now.(It had BETTER be, or the administrators may find some bubotuber pus in their e-mails!( kidding!)

All I can say is, I hope this was your idea, and not someone else's, and that I wish you the best of luck in whatever arena your future endeavors are in.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Jules934 wrote:

But Connie, you will be around and post with us "normal folks", won't you?  We would miss you so  much if we never heard from you again!!!!!

Thank you for the invitation, Jules.  That's not a bad idea - especially when the movies come out, yes?  We *have* to share those, right?  The only thing is - I'm really unclear about whether or not the HP board will still be up and available after June 1st.  It wasn't mentioned specifically in the announcement.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

Oh, Connie, this is SO sad!  You have been a STERLING moderator for this board, and I credit you entirely for having maintained this board as the wonderful sanctuary of peace and fun that it has been.  You have been absolutely delightful as a playmate on this board as well, and we will surely miss you terribly.

THANK YOU!

P.S.  Since you can't answer any questions we might have about the future of this board, namely, if there will be a moderator, and if there is, who it may be, might we ask you to get one of the administrators to answer those questions for us in this thread when he or she gets the time?  That will save the administrators from having to answer those questions via PM to us individually.

Psychee - thank you so much for your kind words.

I can't be sure there will even BE a HP Book Club after 6/1, let alone one with a moderator.  It wasn't mentioned specifically as in or out in the announcement.  I suppose I could ask, but I'm almost afraid to find out the answer! 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Fricka wrote:

Here I've just found this great book club, and now you are leaving! Waaaaaah!:smileysad:

I did go to the Announcements area, and it looks as though Harry Potter is safe for now.(It had BETTER be, or the administrators may find some bubotuber pus in their e-mails!( kidding!)

All I can say is, I hope this was your idea, and not someone else's, and that I wish you the best of luck in whatever arena your future endeavors are in.

Is that right?  Must be someone asked over there.  I'll have to take a look.......thanks!

Thank you for your kind words, Fricka.  You've already been a pleasant addition to the club (and I mean before you wrote this nice note!) 

No; the site is undergoing changes, and I'm not the only moderator affected, unfortunately.  'twasn't my idea.  On the plus side, if you guys don't like whatever happens with the HP Book Club, I can't be blamed!  :smileywink:

........I went back to Announcements and looked, but I'm not seeing it mentioned one way or the other, Fricka, so I really don't know what they're planning to do.  The thread is locked, but maybe people are asking their questions somewhere else.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:

Fricka wrote:

Is that right?  Must be someone asked over there.  I'll have to take a look.......thanks!

Thank you for your kind words, Fricka.  You've already been a pleasant addition to the club (and I mean before you wrote this nice note!) 

No; the site is undergoing changes, and I'm not the only moderator affected, unfortunately.  'twasn't my idea.  On the plus side, if you guys don't like whatever happens with the HP Book Club, I can't be blamed!  :smileywink:

........I went back to Announcements and looked, but I'm not seeing it mentioned one way or the other, Fricka, so I really don't know what they're planning to do.  The thread is locked, but maybe people are asking their questions somewhere else.

Perhaps I am being over-optimistic, but here's the info that Paul H. put in the announcements:

Epics and Classics are being combined, as are Fantasy, Sci Fi, and Paranormal.

Groups being shuttered(I guess that is administratorspeak for closed down: Religion & Spirituality, Shakespeare, Family Room, and Food&Drink. I did not see Harry Potter on that list, and I've noted that it has the highest number of respondents, so surely B&N would not be foolhardy enough to mess with that. Stranger things have happened, though, so I will keep my fingers crossed. I admit I am at a loss to understand why a moderator like yourself, Connie, who is obviously doing a great job, is being dropped. There does not appear to be a place where members have access to complain to the administrator, or I would have done so already. Perhaps you could start your own blog, Connie! I bet a lot of us would follow you there. In the meantime, I am going to add your website to my bookmarked pages so I won't lose sight of you. I'm like Harry--I'm loyal to my friends, and I don't like it when someone gets the Fudge/Umbridge treatment!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Wow. I can't believe they're dropping Connie and not me. Connie is one of the best moderators I've come across on the boards!

Then again, I mod Teen Reads, which is beyond the point where it can be moderated.

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher

Oh, Connie. I am very sorry and I will miss you too! Now I feel really bad and regret my grumpy post on the other thread recently. You have been fantastic as our moderator and we have you to thank for how the board was maintained. You always kept us together and decent with one another. Thanks for everything!

Perhaps we could start a petition, much like the Betty White Facebook petition.

Petition Totalus, anyone?

Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Kreacherteacher wrote:

Oh, Connie. I am very sorry and I will miss you too! Now I feel really bad and regret my grumpy post on the other thread recently. You have been fantastic as our moderator and we have you to thank for how the board was maintained. You always kept us together and decent with one another. Thanks for everything!

You can put me on the list. Nadine

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Add my name too.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

ConnieK wrote:

Fricka wrote:

Perhaps I am being over-optimistic, but here's the info that Paul H. put in the announcements:

Epics and Classics are being combined, as are Fantasy, Sci Fi, and Paranormal.

Groups being shuttered(I guess that is administratorspeak for closed down: Religion & Spirituality, Shakespeare, Family Room, and Food&Drink. I did not see Harry Potter on that list, and I've noted that it has the highest number of respondents, so surely B&N would not be foolhardy enough to mess with that. Stranger things have happened, though, so I will keep my fingers crossed. I admit I am at a loss to understand why a moderator like yourself, Connie, who is obviously doing a great job, is being dropped. There does not appear to be a place where members have access to complain to the administrator, or I would have done so already. Perhaps you could start your own blog, Connie! I bet a lot of us would follow you there. In the meantime, I am going to add your website to my bookmarked pages so I won't lose sight of you. I'm like Harry--I'm loyal to my friends, and I don't like it when someone gets the Fudge/Umbridge treatment!

This is so nice of you, Fricka.  Thank you.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

agnijay wrote:

Wow. I can't believe they're dropping Connie and not me. Connie is one of the best moderators I've come across on the boards!

Then again, I mod Teen Reads, which is beyond the point where it can be moderated.

Oh, that is so nice of you to say, agnijay.  So sweet.  Thank you!

And I laughed about what you said about Teen Reads.  I visited over there a couple of times, so I know exactly what you mean!  Ha.  :smileyvery-happy:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Kreacherteacher wrote:

It's ok, KT.  It did feel kinda bad seeing that post when I already knew what was happening very soon.  I thought, "Oh, no - I'm leaving, and now I've hurt someone's feelings on my way out?  This can't be happening.  That's the last kind of exchange I'd want to leave on this board or any board for people to read when they drop by!"  Ha.  I'm just so glad you are ok now. 

Betty White - funny!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Nadine wrote:

You can put me on the list. Nadine

Aw.  Thanks for stopping by, Nadine. 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Jules934 wrote:

Add my name too.

Jules - Aren't you nice?  Thanks, guys. 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Ok, guys -

I asked our question for us about the future of the club after this week, with or without a moderator.

I'll be sure to let you know what I find out!

Thanks for your continued interest in the club. 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Changes in June - but here's the Good News!

GOOD NEWS!

I've heard back on my question "upstairs" for us, and the good news is that the Harry Potter Book Club will remain open and available for members to use.  It will not, however, have a dedicated moderator.  Instead, the adminstrators will keep an eye on things.

I know you'll all be glad to hear this.

Let the magic continue....

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Re: Changes in June - but here's the Good News!

But you will stop by for pudding, won't you?   Please!  Pretty Please!!