Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Re: Deathly Hallows -- The Movie

Cynical you may be, but certainly right. One of the key reasons i dislike the movies is for that, actually; they make them for the incompetent (sorry, i can't help myself: i was in hysterics today when a friend(though perhaps no longer so) told me she hadn't in fact read any of the books) population who don't read the book but want to know what the heck's going on. But they don't have to. Half the world(give or take a few) has read HP, they'd get a good amount just from the "geeks."

Though nearly everyone i know has both read and seen lotr, but the simple explanation for that is that we are all geeks!

a side note, Peter Jackson SHOULD direct DH. I at least would be satisfied there.

ShadowCougar wrote:
Sorry, they don;t want three hour epics for Harry potter, because unlike the LotR movies, they aren't being made by Peter Jackson looking to draw in the geeks, they are being made to try and get the money from the people that don't have the patience or inclination to read the books. (And keep in mind they still cut a quite a bit from LotR) Because they are trying to drag in your average movie goer so that means short, action packed, and a story is optional. (Ok, yeah, I'm cynical and regularly question the intelligence of most people.) I do find it interesting that OotP had the lowest opening weekend of all five movies, and that is with an extra couple of days.

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
I loved the first chapter in DH. It was spooky and full of suspense! Definitely will look good as the first part of the movie, here are the other scenes I think would be good to make the final cut and finally-FINALLY- make potterfans satisfied.

(To the directors, board of directors, and the press, we are intensely serious when we say we expect a good Potter movie that will truly capture the essence of the whole theme,. Please . give justice to the most wonderful series evah told .)

these scenes should make the cut.
Dursleys scenes (Dudley harry) I thought a good flashback of harry potter’s horrible past with the dursleys will make full impact of theiy last goodbye.
The 7 potters and fallen warrior should make it too. ( that would be so intense!!)
The wedding for funny scenes , id like to see cousin barny , luna and daddy lovegood, and I wanna see krum again (giggles)
The adventure at the ministry if magic should be shown too! So they can showcase how serious the situation is.
Malfoy manor.
Dobby scene.
Gringotts.
Battle of Hogwarts. (professor Trelawney throwing crystal balls at fenrir? McGonaggal and the charging desks? I just have to see that. Haha!)
Ron Hermione kiss.
Then the snape dying scene.

In fact I want to see the whole book in the movie. LOTR got a 3hour long one, why can’t HP have that too?????

I hate the fact snape didn’t get enough camera time on the last movies , he played such a big part in the books.
I don’t care how they do it, as long as the movie lasts for at least four hours!!! I cant wait.
Trelawney on the balcony throwing crystal balls “I GOT MORE!! “
I cant wait to see snape and voldy fly !!! this is so exciting! I cannot contain my excitement anymore!!!! (more butterbeer rosmerta!)
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

That... would be glorious.

ABI wrote:

a side note, Peter Jackson SHOULD direct DH. I at least would be satisfied there.

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Frequent Contributor
gniff
0 Kudos

Socratea wrote:

Those were wonderful, absolutely wonderful descriptions, gniff! Very olde world gothic. Rita's book all clean and new, gleaming like a beacon amidst the dust and filth...PRICELESS.

I picture Rita's mouth stretching impossibly wide, and wider still, as Nagini's gargantuan girth spews from the opening. As the snake pours forth, Bathilda's body becomes flaccid and drops to the floor, a discarded costume.

Thank you for the kind words and wow! the book cover is a wonderful, Romantic-period touch.

You can do other things. We see the room before Our Heroes enter. The door bulges several times as they press to open it. Rodents flee. The door groans and creaks open, hanging out of plumb. The curls of wallpaper crack and fall where Ron steadies himself on them. Rita stares, eyes craving a different kind of dirt, then the camera zooms out and pans to show HRH spreading around the room. They come into focus and we cut to a close-up of Ron, his lips stretched back at the smell. We see where rain has leaked inside the window, and run down it, streaking the dust and caking it up black beneath each of the lower panes. Hermione uses a roll-up charm on a window shade, which responds fitfully, cracking and tearing as it strains to wrap around the roller, the tatters sticking out and cracking as the next turn wraps over them. Doilies are littered with the carapraces of insects that have nested in them. A spider climbs a thread just behind the ear of Ron, who can't see it. A pile of papers and envelopes lies faded and curled in the sun. The faint vibrations of walking are enough to make half the pile slide to the floor, startling our wand-bearing stalwarts. In pictures on the wall and mantle, the images try in vain to wipe the dust off from the inside. In at least one picture someone has succumbed to the suffocating dust.
0 Kudos

Do you really think they'll leave Neville's "triumph" over Nagini out and make it Harry instead, Shadow? What about Mrs. Weasley, people? Will they include her scene with Bellatrix--and that quote?

~ConnieK

ShadowCougar wrote:
*Notice: I am cynical and snarky, especially when it comes to the movies, which I pretty much haven't enjoyed since SS so take what I say with a grain of salt*

Well, since nothing Dobby has done in the books since CoS has been in the movies, we will see a continuation of this trend. Neville is going to save Everyone at the Malfoy's, and then die, and then Harry will cut Nagani's head off, (Which will be the climax of the movie, taking 40 minutes of the hour and 15 minute movie. (The other 35 minutes will be at Gringott's, 20 of that being the dragon ride

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Do you think keeping Kreacher in there will make room for Dobby's "final scene" in the DH film? It's true that we haven't seen much of Dobby (any?) in the movies in quite awhile and Hermione's whole effort with the house-elves wasn't highlighted in the later books or films (whatever happens to the welfare of the house-elves anyway? Is this a sub-plot left open that bothers anyone?). I think Neville has remained on screen enough through 5 movies so far that he might get his last hurrah in movie 7.

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Without the whole "Hermione SPEW" idea, they'll have to think up another reason for Hermione to kiss Ron in the "OI! There's a war going on here!" scene.
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

That post was mostly sarcasm... I DO believe they will butcher the book badly, I jusy don't know how... but the elements that lead to Dobby's saving them have been left out of the movies so far. (The mirror and Dobby's continuing extreme devotion to Harry. The roles he has played in the books between CoS and DH shows that he does love and almost worship Harry enough to die to keep him safe, so with out that, I do not think Dobby saving him will be as believable if it really is Dobby in the movie.) I have a suspicion they may cut out the Malfoy Manor scene all together, and have Harry get Draco's wand somehow at Gringott's or at the school.

ConnieK wrote:
Do you really think they'll leave Neville's "triumph" over Nagini out and make it Harry instead, Shadow? What about Mrs. Weasley, people? Will they include her scene with Bellatrix--and that quote?

~ConnieK

ShadowCougar wrote:
*Notice: I am cynical and snarky, especially when it comes to the movies, which I pretty much haven't enjoyed since SS so take what I say with a grain of salt*

Well, since nothing Dobby has done in the books since CoS has been in the movies, we will see a continuation of this trend. Neville is going to save Everyone at the Malfoy's, and then die, and then Harry will cut Nagani's head off, (Which will be the climax of the movie, taking 40 minutes of the hour and 15 minute movie. (The other 35 minutes will be at Gringott's, 20 of that being the dragon ride

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Contributor
3Liesl69
0 Kudos

Dayrenm, you took the words right out of my mouth when you say that you hope the moviemakers finally redeem themselves. I find that the movie of "Harry Potter 5" did not live up to my expectations at all. The moviemakers really need to do "Deathly Hallows" justice and include the whole book in the film.

Is is possible to write and sign a petition to keep the film version of "Deathly Hallows" as faithful to the book as possible, no matter how long the film turns out to be? Please let me know.
3-Liesl-69
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
well one of the things they should definately leave in is the "NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH!!!'
from molly. she really comes alive in the end.:smileywink:

it'll be interesting to see how they do the scene when harry talks to DD in the place he thinks is kings cross, and if they leave in the poor kid under the chair("thump. whimper."you know.). if they do it'll be weird( in a good way.:smileytongue:)

all the best
page

p.s. geez this is my first post on the hp board in months...hi again!:smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by zip_zap_zop on 10-20-2007 03:50 PM
"line?"
New User
rockshow6
0 Kudos

hmmm

it has just struck me that there would be no long term problems relating to the story if they dropped the fake locket altogether and just made the one dumbledore and harry find the real one.

Thats worrying because i know its going to bluddy happen
Frequent Contributor
JPaulson
0 Kudos

It sure would be cool if we could get a 4 hour movie out of DH, but it's not likely. I'd even go for 3hrs. 10 min.!!

I think Dobby will be included. Quite unexpectedly I received a gift from a customer who had attended the big Toon convention in Long Beach last summer. It was a Dobby figure and he said it is the most popular figure next to Hermione Granger...bigger seller than Harry! So, yes, I think WB will include Dobby. That's a perfect set up for Kreacher and the houselves as releif for our grief in Dobby's passing. And gets us into the Great Hall so Molly can tell off that BITCH before she kills her - Go Molly!

As for comedic releif, I think that one or two camping scenes are necessary so the one with the radio broadcast will add a few laughs when the tensions and high emotion have run us ragged in the woods. Strike a few trees, add more snow - same set.

We've got the potential for Hollywood going on strike, so much of what I've envisioned here can be lifted directly from the book, can be developed thru Toon-ing and voice-overs. Has anyone else heard that some of the stuff is already being shot?

Of course, the books are far superior, but so far as I can tell, none of the movies have altered the actual facts of the outcome of the story.
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

As long as they include the Kreacher/Dobby brawl and their spying on Malfoy in the HBP movie, than I think there will be enough room for both elves in DH without too much confusion by non-readers.

My brother doesn't read the books, but he likes watching the movies(I have tried to get him to read, but he's set in his ways. He has only read one book in his life and that is The Hobbit). Anyways, after we saw the 5th movie, I told him about Hermione and S.P.E.W., which he thought was great, and I also told him about Ron being Keeper. He was so mad that those parts were not included in the movies!

Yet, he will still not read the books!
"Who's that little old man?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

haha thats funny tigerlilly--my brother is the opposite, he loves the books. i mean he's read them like five billion times (so have i :smileytongue:).

i still don't see how you could NOT read the books. for me that's just wacko. well i guess not all people are bookworms. :smileywink:

all the best
page
"line?"
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

zip_zap_zop wrote:

i still don't see how you could NOT read the books. for me that's just wacko. well i guess not all people are bookworms. :smileywink:

all the best
page

But Zip, that's the beauty of HP, you don't have to be a bookworm to read and enjoy them! :smileyhappy:

Though I know plenty of people who become ones following hp...
Contributor
3Liesl69
0 Kudos

I have seen, heard, and read some interviews with Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson, where both of them say that they are beginning to film "Half Blood Prince" since this past September. What have any of you heard, seen, or read from them? Are they also including any filming of "Deathly Hallows" while they are filming "Half Blood Prince?"
3-Liesl-69
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

yeah, i know plenty of people that are just HP bookworms. like they don't read anything but HP. can anyone relate??
"line?"
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

I think Deathly Hallows would potentially be a good movie, but I'm sure they'll do infuriating things like they did in the fifth movie, such as that dreadful "Pensieve" scene. That was one of the scenes I was most looking forward to, and then it was completely different from the book and lasted all of five seconds... Anyway, I hope they do a good job with Snape's memories in Deathly Hallows. The Prince's Tale was, in my opinion, such a powerful chapter that gave the book so much poignancy and emotion. They'll never be able to do it the justice it deserves, but I hope they do well with it. Snape's death scene is going to be good -- "Look at me..." -- because I think Rickman will act it well. Of course, I will be looking forward to all the lovely Ron/Hermione stuff and the moment when they FINALLY kiss. As you all said, it'll probably lose some fire because we didn't have the SPEW stuff in the other movies. But I think it will still be good. I loved all the stuff at the end of the book when everyone joined forces at Hogwarts and Harry almost dies, and there's a lot of great potential for a movie in that material. Oh, and Godric's Hollow. I think it offers a lot of opportunity for that eerie beauty that always strikes me in movies/books/music/life, and it's just powerful and important anyway. I think it'll be a good movie. They've all been good so far, even if we do resent all the omissions and changes...
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

One thing that’s frustrating for me are the lines. The dialogue is ….i dunno …really dry!
I hate the dialogue! They should work on it.
If they don’t wanna give us a good long movie, at least give us good lines. Hmphhh…
**looks around…zippy? Pen???? Everyone these are some of the people in the writing room guys!!
Wow people are totally crossing over!!!!!
Welcome to the dark side!
I mean—yeah. Bye.

**slams door. :smileyvery-happy::smileytongue::smileysurprised:

see you all tomorrow.
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
macross
0 Kudos

maybe the dialogue kinda dry cause well there British? J/K.
On a wing and a prayer.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
One thing that’s frustrating for me are the lines. The dialogue is ….i dunno …really dry!
I hate the dialogue! They should work on it.
If they don’t wanna give us a good long movie, at least give us good lines. Hmphhh…
**looks around…zippy? Pen???? Everyone these are some of the people in the writing room guys!!
Wow people are totally crossing over!!!!!
Welcome to the dark side!
I mean—yeah. Bye.

**slams door. :smileyvery-happy::smileytongue::smileysurprised:

see you all tomorrow.

yes...I've convinced them all to cross over here...to the dark side, me and my slow seduction...you're all in abi's grasp now! with her 700something posts! lol...:smileyhappy: