Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

DH 2nd Read Through

It's amazing the stuff people can miss the first time around. I had thought about just reading through chapter 22 since that is where the first movie will end, or we think it will end based on things we've heard, but I couldn't stop reading. I love this book, and I can't stop thinking about it.

My thoughts...

I teared up on the Dobby part again. It is such a beautifully-written chapter. And Luna said everything they were all thinking.

I loved The Flaw in the Plan - right after Molly kills Bellatrix and Voldemort gets so angry and turns his attention to her. Harry yells the Protego spell/charm while under the cloak to protect her and everyone looks to the source and he takes off the cloak. Gave me goose bumps. I don't remember that part affecting me so much before, but it did this time around.

I loved how Harry threw the cloak around himself and protected Neville in the fiery sorting hat. That gave me chills.

I love that Narcissa protected Harry in the forest. I know she did it for selfish reasons and that she probably had come to hate Voldemort, but I love that there was a shred of decency in her.

I wish that we had an answer for who killed Ariana.

I absolutely think McGonagall is one of the best characters and so witty! When Pansy Parkinson was ready to hand Harry over and McG said, "Thank you, Miss Parkinson. You will leave the house first. If the rest of your house will follow." You leave this series very satisfied with her and you want more scenes with her.

There are more, far more I know, but I think that's it for me for now. Add more if you like.

KT

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher

Re: DH 2nd Read Through

And Snape! His character is so tragic! He doesn't get the girl and he dies because of a mistaken thought of Voldemort's. I was so sad reading through that part again. It breaks your heart.

Wordsmith
Kat-NE
0 Kudos

I still get chills at some parts too!  At every part that you mentioned, and also when they are stuck at Malfoy manor and Hermione is getting tortured and when everyone stands up to separate Harry from Slytherin before the battle.  I still get tearful when Harry sacrifices himself. 

Contributor
mariahs_fantasy
0 Kudos

I get that way too, with every reread of any books in the series, and especially with DH. Just wanted to point out, Harry didn't 'protect' Neville from the aflamed Sorting Hat, even though he wanted to. The Sorting Hat will bow to the wishes of a true Gryffindor, like Neville. Neville needed some way to survive the hat, and destroy Neville, so he was able to pull the sword of Gryffindor out of the hat.

If you mean indirectly, yes, Harry did protect all of them, because he sacrificed himself and gave them a level of protection like his mother's sacrifice did, but not in the way you think.

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

I stand corrected. A third read-through is now justified. :-) I thought the sorting hat was aflame and Harry did something to put it out. That was my thinking.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee

Harry didn't protect Neville from the Sorting Hat, but seeing the hat in flames was his impetus to get under his cloak.  It was his intention to protect Neville.  However, by the time he was able to do anything about it, the hat was off and Neville had killed Nagini in one swift move.  Then Voldemort went into a rage and it was then that Harry cast a shield charm between Voldy and Neville. 

It all happened really fast.

KT, your memory isn't so bad -- Harry did plan to do something to help Neville from the flaming sorting hat but he was unable to react fast enough and it turned out not to be necessary.

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

I am glad this post was clarified - thank you to Mariah and Psychee - but now that it is, I have another question. Why does the sorting hat show this type of favoritism, and is it, in fact, favoritism? Would the hat have done anything similar for the other houses? I am finding out that I will need to reread the entire series. There are many things I have forgotten and many that I have misunderstood or misinterpreted.

The info on the hat was from Chamber of Secrets, right, when Harry needed the sword? I'd like to think the hat would've helped other students from other houses.

I love how all the characters that are background characters or seemingly inanimate objects had ways of fighting back either through their own actions or the actions of others. For example, the scene with McGonagall and the marching desks cracked me up.

Wordsmith
Kat-NE
0 Kudos

Kreacherteacher wrote:

I am glad this post was clarified - thank you to Mariah and Psychee - but now that it is, I have another question. Why does the sorting hat show this type of favoritism, and is it, in fact, favoritism? Would the hat have done anything similar for the other houses? I am finding out that I will need to reread the entire series. There are many things I have forgotten and many that I have misunderstood or misinterpreted.

The info on the hat was from Chamber of Secrets, right, when Harry needed the sword? I'd like to think the hat would've helped other students from other houses.

I do remember Dumbledore saying that only a true Gryffindor could pulled that out of the hat, or something like that.  I don't think it went into any further explanation why it could only be Gryffindor.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

As Kat-NE says, only a Gryffindor could have pulled the sword from the hat, and I should add that this would also have to happen under conditions of need and valor.

But whether or not the hat might do something for other students, we don't really know.  On the one hand, Dumbledore said that help was always available for anyone who needed it, and this might mean the hat would come to their rescue.  But the hat was also owned by Gryffindor, so maybe some other object would come to their rescue instead?  We just don't know...

I loved that scene with the desks -- "Charge!" 

Contributor
mariahs_fantasy
0 Kudos

That is a very interesting topic. I would like to think that, if the other founders objects weren't horcruxes or destroyed, they would come out of the hat as well. We know that the sword of gryffindor is a sword, made extraordinary by its imbibing powers, but let's not forget ravenclaw's diadem, which give the wearer a boost of wisdom. We can only wonder (or try to ask jkr) what the other objects had as far as powers are concerned, and if they would truly come out of the hat :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

I wonder what the requirements would be for the other house people to get something out of the hat...  Need, obviously.  But not valor -- that is a Gryffindor trait. 

Since we don't know about any objects belonging to the other Founders that weren't made into Horcruxes, we could have fun making them up.

Let's see...  Ravenclaw might draw out a book, that when you open it, it contains exactly the knowledge you need to get out of difficulty.  Condition of Need and Feeling Stupid?

Hufflepuff might produce a House Elf from the kitchen -- that was Helga's territory. Condition of Need and hunger?

Slytherin... hmmm, that one is hard.... anyone want to take a crack at it?  Condition of Need and Cowardice?  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Perhaps a sneer? Depends on the wizard. Snape would get shampoo...Malfoy would get a clue...

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

lol, KT!    Need and a sneer!   Snape really needed shampoo (and Malfoy a clue) and no hat ever delivered it insofar as we can tell.  Maybe their lives weren't endangered enough?

Contributor
Shop-Owner_26
0 Kudos

McGonagall is one of the greatest characters in the series. She's so tough and unbreakable on the outside. But she really, genuinely cares. I absolutley love when Harry throws off the cloak and uses Crucio on the DE that spat in her face. That whole chapter showed the respect that they each had for each other.