Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Stacy21
0 Kudos

Death is but the next great adventure.

A little catch up, just in case:

The quote is "After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure" (HPSS, pg 297). Dumbledore says this to Harry after explaining Nicholas Flamel has agreed to destroy the stone.

Harry repeats Dumbledore, saying "...to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure" when he is recapping his meeting with Dumbledore to Hermione and Ron.

While I agree that Harry treats Dumbledore with a great deal of respect, route memorization seems far-fetched. I think this line is going to be important in DH. I think that this line has taught Harry that while it's nothing to look forward to, death is also nothing to fear. Voldemort fears death above everything else, having never learned this lesson, so I think this could be an important plot point. Even if the line merely reappears in Book 7, it still seems important to me.

Any thoughts on the matter?
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

Re: Death is but the next great adventure.

I totally agree with Stacy. Voldy's fear of death and his inability to love will be his downfall.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stacy21 wrote:

The quote is "After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure" (HPSS, pg 297). Dumbledore says this to Harry after explaining Nicholas Flamel has agreed to destroy the stone.

Harry repeats Dumbledore, saying "...to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure" when he is recapping his meeting with Dumbledore to Hermione and Ron.

While I agree that Harry treats Dumbledore with a great deal of respect, route memorization seems far-fetched. I think this line is going to be important in DH. I think that this line has taught Harry that while it's nothing to look forward to, death is also nothing to fear. Voldemort fears death above everything else, having never learned this lesson, so I think this could be an important plot point. Even if the line merely reappears in Book 7, it still seems important to me.

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
Vixx
0 Kudos

I have to agree with you on this one, she's reinforced it in our minds - there has to be a reason for that. It may prove to be the thing that gives Harry the courage to go towards his certain death at the end with Voldy (not that I think Harry will actually die).
Author
madeyemuggle
0 Kudos

I agree that the quote is important, I think that Voldemort's huge fear of death combined with Dumbledore's submission to it play a big part. I also feel that it may have some sort of tie in with the veil which is sure to be a part of DH.
Frequent Contributor
pigwidgeon
0 Kudos

dcsbelle wrote:
I totally agree with Stacy. Voldy's fear of death and his inability to love will be his downfall.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stacy21 wrote:

I totally agree with dcsbelle and Stacy. There is definitely a part to play for Voldemort's fear of death, if not the final nail in the coffin. Wouldn't it be ironic if Voldemort jumped out of the way of an Avada Kedavara curse, only to fall through the veil in the Department of Mysteries. That would be sort of anti-climactic, but it would be a twist.....
Frequent Contributor
rae_m
0 Kudos

I hope he doesn't jump, if he goes into the curtain I want someone to push him, and I want him to smack his head on the stone archway first!
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

"D'oh!" :smileyhappy:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rae_m wrote:
I hope he doesn't jump, if he goes into the curtain I want someone to push him, and I want him to smack his head on the stone archway first!

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

And I'd like to see him totally humiliated and laughed out, like a boggart! :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Psychee wrote:
And I'd like to see him totally humiliated and laughed out, like a boggart! :smileyhappy:

we should hang him by his ankels n see if he has gray undies too!!!!

Message Edited by jftapia88 on 06-05-200706:17 PM

Julie
New User
xbox360lvr
0 Kudos

i think thats a good idea but.....hold on why would voldy put part of his soul in harry if voldy knew his parents he would now that harry would do anything to kill voldemort even kill himself........i guess its potter family bravery but would voldemort already know this
Frequent Contributor
Erind
0 Kudos

Because he didn't put a part of his soul into Harry. There is almost nothing that even almost convinces me that Harry is a Horcrux. The evidence, or lack there of, is completely insubstantial.
Frequent Contributor
zman1980
0 Kudos

Erind wrote:
Because he didn't put a part of his soul into Harry. There is almost nothing that even almost convinces me that Harry is a Horcrux. The evidence, or lack there of, is completely insubstantial.

Ya, I don't agree that harry is a Horcrux either. With the lessons of death in the books. Do you think that they are to make Harry stronger? or are they to explain Vold.? His fear of Death being what made him so evil.
Frequent Contributor
ravensilverlight
0 Kudos

OOH! Random thought. LV is afraid of death. NHN says to Harry, in OOTP, that the reason he is a ghost is because he "was afraid of death" and chose to stay behind. Think LV might be a ghost in the end?
Frequent Contributor
virus95
0 Kudos

i also agree with Stacy21 and dcsbelle that the downfall of Voldemort is his fear of death and lack of love and friendship.
Frequent Contributor
lrdieter
0 Kudos

I asgree and I like that Virus added 'friendship' to fear of death and inability to love. I think in the end it would be great if at the end Harry and the gang are willing to die for one another and Voldemort is left alone with none of his unfaithful death eaters to help him and it destroys him somehow.
The end is almost here.... Long Live Harry and the Gang!!!