Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
negasong
0 Kudos

Re: Deathly Hallow

We don't know how many times a soul can be split, and Voldemort may have even less than 1/7th of his soul left (ie: if it is split in half every time, that means the Diary contained 1/2 of his soul, the next Horcrux would contain 1/4th, the next 1/8th etc. so for all we know, he may only have 1/64th of his soul at this point). Seems to me that the less of his soul that is left when Harry finally faces him, the better.

_________________________________________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Another great post! You sure have thought these things through. I like your thinking and actually quite plausible. I only take cause with this on in #6:

"Voldemort knows the Diary was destroyed and is trying to locate another relic with which he can make a replacement Horcrux."

How many more times can he split his soul? A assume that once a horcrux is destroyed the soul in it is destroyed. At this point he only has 1/7th of a soul left in him.

As far as the rest is concerned--who knows. But you have created a great story! Can't wait to hear your ending.

Nadine
Contributor
negasong
0 Kudos

Fortescue disappeared for a reason. JKR didn't just pick him out of thin air. The only things we know about him besides his ice cream making abilities are that he may be related to a former Hogwarts headmaster, and that he knows an awful lot about magical history. The only other reason that I can come up with for his disappearance is that Voldemort was trying to find something out about the fall of Grindelwald which ties in to another crackpot theory I have about Grindelwald using the dementors to turn Tom Riddle into Lord Voldemort, but I'm getting way off topic here...

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Another great post! You sure have thought these things through. I like your thinking and actually quite plausible. I only take cause with this on in #6:

"Voldemort knows the Diary was destroyed and is trying to locate another relic with which he can make a replacement Horcrux."

How many more times can he split his soul? A assume that once a horcrux is destroyed the soul in it is destroyed. At this point he only has 1/7th of a soul left in him.

As far as the rest is concerned--who knows. But you have created a great story! Can't wait to hear your ending.
Reader
JuleSedai
0 Kudos

Re: release of HP Deathly Hallows: where are you getting your information? I was on the B&N site yesterday looking for a place to pre-order and all I got was a message to sign up for an alert. Amazon.com says today that they will "email you when the title becomes available". HP OotP is being released in the theatres on July 13 - could it be that is what we are hearing about and not the last book?
Or am I missing out on getting my book ordered????
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."
Sirius Black, to Ron Weasley HPGoF pg525
Frequent Contributor
dedaviswright
0 Kudos

One prob with that, If the scar is a horcux, If i was Voldy, I would be peeved that my followers were trying to do away with him in such a devastating manner. If I lost that....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would be peeved too. I would tell the Death Eaters to leave him alone.

hplover

When have the death eaters tried to REALLY kill Harry? Yes we had the duel at the ootp, but they could have all ganged up on him and done him in. IT seems that they were using curses that would maim, or stop Harry, but not kill him. When BLS tried, LV stopped her.
Frequent Contributor
dedaviswright
0 Kudos

If Harry's scar is a horcurx, then the last part of the soul he needs to get would be from Harry, and then he would obtain Harrys death and his soul back.
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Can you start another thread then or reply to this one about your theory about Grindelwald and the dementors turning Riddle into Voldamort? I'd like to hear your theory.
Patty

negasong wrote:
Fortescue disappeared for a reason. JKR didn't just pick him out of thin air. The only things we know about him besides his ice cream making abilities are that he may be related to a former Hogwarts headmaster, and that he knows an awful lot about magical history. The only other reason that I can come up with for his disappearance is that Voldemort was trying to find something out about the fall of Grindelwald which ties in to another crackpot theory I have about Grindelwald using the dementors to turn Tom Riddle into Lord Voldemort, but I'm getting way off topic here...

New User
MArked_By_the_dark_lord
0 Kudos

It is within my belief that "deadly hollow" is with in reference to Godric's hollow, where lily and James Potter were murdered by the dark lord..it is plausible that the finale battle will take place there. Deadly meaning death or dieing and Hollows in reference to Godric's Hollow

i also am a firm believer that Harry Potter will NOT make it out of the finale battle alive. I know alot of people disagree with me but think about it, why write 6 wonderful books to end at book 7 b/c he killed the evil guy...isn't there always a villein in stories??...but having him die ..kinda makes sense ending with the 7th.
Distinguished Correspondent
DebsScott
0 Kudos

negasong wrote:
There is so much that is going to happen that I'm going to have to do this in installments. So here we go - Part 1.

1. Voldemort will murder Narcissa as punishment for Draco's failure to kill Dumbledore, as well as Lucius' mishandling of the diary and the Ministry fiasco.

2. Privet drive will be attacked the minute Harry turns 17. In an effort to protect his parents, Dudley will unwittingly perform magic.

3. The wedding at the Burrow. Most of the Order and Ministry will be there expecting a Death Eater attack. The Death Eaters will instead stage a mass breakout from Azkaban. Harry will inherit Dumbledore's pensieve as well as the memories shown in HBP.

4. Once he is out of Azkaban and reunited with his son, Lucius will tell Draco that Voldemort had every right to murder Narcissa for his and Draco's failures, which disgusts Draco. Father and son will be sent to kill Ginny. Draco is expected to be the one to perform the Avada Kedavra to prove his loyalty and his willingness to kill for the cause. Draco performs the killing curse... on his own father, and defects to the Order.

5. HRH figure out that RAB was Regulus Black and that the locket was last seen at Grimmauld Place. Either Kreachur or Dung will lead them to it. Harry will destroy it easily. Hermoine will begin to question why Harry can destroy Horcruxes without getting hurt when even Dumbledore can't manage that.

6. Questions surface regarding the disappearence of Olivander and Fortescue. Someone finally figures out that the wand in the window of Olivander's shop belonged to Ravenclaw and is now a Horcrux, and that Fortescue was taken for his encyclopedic "History of Magic" knowledge because Voldemort knows the Diary was destroyed and is trying to locate another relic with which he can make a replacement Horcrux.

7. HRH go to Godric's Hollow and find a heretofore unaccounted for Gryffindor relic in the ruins of Harry's old room - it is NOT a Horcrux. Hermoine starts to put 2 and 2 together and shares with Ron that she thinks Harry might be a Horcrux. Ron thinks she's crazy.

That's part 1 - more to come later.

Wow! Sure you're not JKR in disguise? LOL I like a lot of your theories...I've thought Fortescue's disappearance has something to do with his knowledge of wizarding history. It was just mentioned a few too many times. CONSTANT VIGILANCE with looking for those clues! You've definitely given me food for thought. Now, where's part two? *taps foot impatiently*
~Debs~
"And now Harry, let us go out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
~Professor Albus Dumbledore
New User
Manny23
0 Kudos

hplover wrote:
i heard july 7th too. do u know the theory of the "so far" release date? it's really cool. this is for marla.

Message Edited by hplover on 01-06-200712:12 PM

r u talkin bout when HPDH come out if so it comes out July 21 07 but u can pre-order it now
New User
Annie-R
0 Kudos

I think we will find in the final book:

-what side Snape is on
-that Harry will become Hogwart's permanent Dark Arts teacher
-why Dumbledore couldn't destroy Voldemort himself - isn't/wasn't Dumbledore THE most powerful wizard???
-my wishful thinking hopes Dumbledore isn't actually dead.....
-Ron and Hermoine will admit their feelings for one another
-another wishful thinking: we will find out why or more about Harry's Aunt or perhaps a touch of kindness, though if those evil people stay out of the book, that is fine too.

I need to start reading the last book again: I think I had more theories when I was reading it....
Contributor
Campbell
0 Kudos

Several things that have cropped up here are interesting to note, especially about the title. A "hallow" is a saint or one made hallowed, but these are "deathly hallows". Several have said that JKR doesn't introduce things lightly, and I agree. Also others have agreed when someone is dead in these books, they're dead (a quote from JKR herself). However ... what if, as others have written, Harry et al. go back to Godric's Hollow, possibly on All Hallow's Eve, and have to fight ... inferi, not ghosts but actually bodies. We must assume that inferi are bodies of people who existed and who really are dead. How ghastly would it be if Harry had to fight his most "hallowed" memories ... his parents? Or Dumbledore ... in the form of an inferius?
New User
angred1004
0 Kudos

PattyBNUChick wrote:

movies2music wrote:
Submit what you think will happen in HP Deathly Hallows.

Also do you know when HP Deathly Hallows will be up for pre order

Some of my ideas about Book 7

-Maybe since Harry does remember the green light and his parents' voices, he can put that memory into a pensieve and watch the memory. I think then he will realize what the Sectrumsempra spell does and who else was at Godrics Hollow that night.
-

sectusempra was the spell harry used on draco in the bathroom. the spell that killed harry's parents was avada kedavra. and he already knows what that spell does.
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

I doubt Harry's parents or Dumbledore would be used as Inferius, BUT in OOTP someone said something about Voldamort using an army who all fear. And then in HBP page 62, Dumbledore when Harry asked what Inferi are said about Voldamort.. "HE killed enough people to make an army of them". Yikes. In OOTP I was thinking maybe VOldamort would make an army of goblins, but now i think there will be an army of Inferi. I think Deathly Hallows is going to have us on the edge of our seats, I doubt I will have any fingernails left by the end of the book.

Campbell wrote:
Several things that have cropped up here are interesting to note, especially about the title. A "hallow" is a saint or one made hallowed, but these are "deathly hallows". Several have said that JKR doesn't introduce things lightly, and I agree. Also others have agreed when someone is dead in these books, they're dead (a quote from JKR herself). However ... what if, as others have written, Harry et al. go back to Godric's Hollow, possibly on All Hallow's Eve, and have to fight ... inferi, not ghosts but actually bodies. We must assume that inferi are bodies of people who existed and who really are dead. How ghastly would it be if Harry had to fight his most "hallowed" memories ... his parents? Or Dumbledore ... in the form of an inferius?

Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

In other messages, I have mentioned I think the sectrumsempra spell was also used to make a horcrux, thats where that idea of mine came from...

angred1004 wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:

movies2music wrote:
Submit what you think will happen in HP Deathly Hallows.

Also do you know when HP Deathly Hallows will be up for pre order

Some of my ideas about Book 7

-Maybe since Harry does remember the green light and his parents' voices, he can put that memory into a pensieve and watch the memory. I think then he will realize what the Sectrumsempra spell does and who else was at Godrics Hollow that night.
-

sectusempra was the spell harry used on draco in the bathroom. the spell that killed harry's parents was avada kedavra. and he already knows what that spell does.

Frequent Contributor
gealbhan
0 Kudos

Campbell wrote:

That is brilliant! (Well, not the concept of Harry having to fight the bodies of people he loved, but the fact that you came up with it.) I wouldn't be at all surprised if that happened. When you said that JKR doesn't introduce things lightly, what specific "things" were you referring to?
Distinguished Bibliophile
Nadine
0 Kudos

Campbell wrote:

Great post and what a twist of events! That would be really scary. I still believe that the seeds for the entire series, including the ending, were planted in the SS. This could take us back to the lesson Harry learned from the Mirror of Erised. The only thing that could save him would be to face the reality and that the dead are dead. Excellent thinking!

Nadine
New User
Phoenix-Flyer
0 Kudos

My thoughts on book 7.

I believe one of the character to die will be Lupin. I also believe Harry is a descendant of Godric Griffindor, and there will be a horcrux at Godric's Hollow. The phoenix is reborn, Dumbledore will return in book 7. Harry is not a horcrux, I think the snake took the last bit of Voldemort's soul.
New User
HPFan1878
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I think that Harry will live, Voldemort will die and that Harry will know Aberforth (Dumbledores brother). I am pretty sure that Malfoy will either die, or he and Voldemort will fight in the final battle. I think that Harry and Dumbledore will continue to see each other (on HIS portrait in the headmasters office and that everything else will end happily (but Ginny, Ron, Cho, Neville or Hermione might die.)

The book is already up for preorders.

Message Edited by HPFan1878 on 02-02-200709:56 PM

New User
hhr157
0 Kudos

the thing that's always bothered me is how lily died for harry. DD said she used ancient magic/love to save him but jk never really explains it. maybe harry will discover the truth when he goes to godric's hollow
Frequent Contributor
lia3pgh
0 Kudos

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows comes out July 21. It was just rumored that it was coming out 7/7/07. However, the movie is coming out July 13 for sure.