Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Draco Malfoy, dupe, or dope.kinda off topic

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
Ok, who’s a better kid? Who would you pick?
Draco? Or Dudley?

Wow. That's a really tough one! They both seem to be products of their adoring parents... are we removing them from their parents?
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I wouldn't take either one of them on a silver platter! Ick, what a choice.

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
Ok, who’s a better kid? Who would you pick?
Draco? Or Dudley?

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Pick them for what? If it's for football, definitely Draco. If it's for a hot dog eating contest, most definitely Dudders.

Actually, I think Draco would grow up to be a more responsible adult. He learned his lessons hopefully. I think he is probably a decent person at heart. Dudley showed us that he can be a decent person, but the jury is still out on him. I think he would be a pain of a husband, while Draco would be pretty good.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I agree with kreacherteacher. If I had to pick, Draco would be my first choice. He's a conceited git, but his "play" was more like...er James, perhaps? (Psychee, don't kill me - & don't defend the old git) Dudder's beat up kids for fun. Seriously. Because he was a stupid prat and found amusement in other's pain. He didn't have a better reason than that. (Strange, how in the end, it all seems to boil down to excuses, huh? who's behavior can be best accounted for...) Draco acted through himself. He felt obligated in order to keep some social status to be what he was. A git. He wasn't doing it purely for personal joy. Kind of like Snape. (Or so I believe...) Draco was insecure. Dudley, though some might argue he was, just never realized it, was NOT insecure. A valid excuse, in my opinion.

Message Edited by ABI on 10-03-2007 06:38 PM
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
What the? !!
Abi you think james is a git???

Anyway , I think I’l pick draco too.
But during that scene when harry was packing up?
That cuppa harry stepped on?
I thought dudley was really sweet.
I think as Dudley grew up being cuddled by his parents he can really be an angel if he wanted to.
Whereas, draco, who had his parents always having higher standards than draco could manage….
Well they had a good wizard for a son… it’s unfair that because of their ignorance, draco’s innocence had to be sacrificed.
Right?

Message Edited by mrsronaldweasley on 10-04-2007 08:24 AM
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Draco, however flawed by meanness, I think has the ability to become a leader (per Crabbe & Goyle, for example). He is the more interesting character to my mind, with more potential, so I'd take him (and try to reform him!). Poor Dudders, seems to lack ambition for much of anything. Well, I guess he does become an athlete, of sorts, and I guess you could say he has a gang as well. Hmm...I dunno. Somehow, I think it would be easier to "reform" meanness than an upbringing of laziness and coddling.

Good question!

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

That’s a good point. So can we say Dudley was a lot more spoiled than Malfoy? Or is Malfoy even spoiled or are they just really rich ? LOL
I hate lucius malfoy… bella has got more balls than him. Humph. I bet narcissa demanded a divorce! I just wish she did!
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

I believe James was a git in his younger years. Before he apparently "changed."
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Why? Is he responsible for all the madness? She took part as well even though it was what we think was a lesser degree. I bet she believed all the crap about muggleborns and truebloods. Yes, Lucius has to pay for what he engaged in, but they were perfect for each other. Don't be fooled by Cissy. She took part.

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
Humph. I bet narcissa demanded a divorce! I just wish she did!

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Kreacherteacher wrote:
Why? Is he responsible for all the madness? She took part as well even though it was what we think was a lesser degree. I bet she believed all the crap about muggleborns and truebloods. Yes, Lucius has to pay for what he engaged in, but they were perfect for each other. Don't be fooled by Cissy. She took part.

mrsronaldweasley wrote:

Blushes**** I do try to hide the fact I have a feminist mania going on.
But I bet you’re right!
They should both be in Azkaban!
With narcissa on a comfy bed.

The thing is narcissa acts like the paris Hilton in the trio, like she’s whatever …LOL
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I feel a little bit sorry for Narcissa. Yes she was an arrogant, bigoted snob, but I don't think she got involved in all the dark stuff voluntarily-I think she got caught in the middle of it. She may have approved of what Voldemort was doing, but I think it was Lucius who joined up. I can't see Narcissa volunteering to do much of anything that involved danger or sacrifice, unless it came to protecting Draco. However, once Draco joined up, and Lucius was being humiliated by Voldemort, what choice did she have but to go along in the hopes of avoiding getting zapped, and hopefully saving her family.

Kreacherteacher wrote:

mrsronaldweasley wrote:

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

What are you picking them for? I would pick Draco because I can't stand overly obese people. And those knicker sizes go pretty high, so Dudley must be REALLY big to not fit into them. Both are spoiled only by parents, and both were reformed, so idk. On character, I would og with Dudley.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I wouldn't want either one of them in my house, or near my cats, but the question required picking, I guess, the lesser of two evils. If forced, I would pick Draco, even though I loathe the little twit and wanted to see him PUNISHED!. Both Draco and Dudley have mean streaks in them, and both have a feeling of entitlement. What gives Draco the edge for me is his intelligence. While your pet peeve is "overly obese" people, mine is overly stupid people. Dudley is just so bovine (and that's casting unkind aspersions on cattle!) Just drive him into the knockbox and have done with it.

agnijay wrote:
What are you picking them for? I would pick Draco because I can't stand overly obese people. And those knicker sizes go pretty high, so Dudley must be REALLY big to not fit into them. Both are spoiled only by parents, and both were reformed, so idk. On character, I would og with Dudley.

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

I wonder how one becomes becomes branded as real death eater..hmmmm…
It’s like a really notorious fraternity with a bald flat and ugly leader to put a tattoo on you
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
I feel a little bit sorry for Narcissa. Yes she was an arrogant, bigoted snob, but I don't think she got involved in all the dark stuff voluntarily-I think she got caught in the middle of it. She may have approved of what Voldemort was doing, but I think it was Lucius who joined up. I can't see Narcissa volunteering to do much of anything that involved danger or sacrifice, unless it came to protecting Draco. However, once Draco joined up, and Lucius was being humiliated by Voldemort, what choice did she have but to go along in the hopes of avoiding getting zapped, and hopefully saving her family.

Kreacherteacher wrote:

mrsronaldweasley wrote:

I'm with you, Molly!
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

*Shakes his head* No love for the big folks, life ain't fair.

agnijay wrote:

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Frequent Contributor
gniff
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
I feel a little bit sorry for Narcissa. Yes she was an arrogant, bigoted snob, but I don't think she got involved in all the dark stuff voluntarily-I think she got caught in the middle of it. [...] I think it was Lucius who joined up.
Lily faced the same choice with Severus. She severed Severus; Narcissa embraced Lucius. Or was Narcissa's marriage arranged for the sake of a pureblood family?
0 Kudos

gniff wrote:

Mollywobbles wrote:
I feel a little bit sorry for Narcissa. Yes she was an arrogant, bigoted snob, but I don't think she got involved in all the dark stuff voluntarily-I think she got caught in the middle of it. [...] I think it was Lucius who joined up.
Lily faced the same choice with Severus. She severed Severus; Narcissa embraced Lucius. Or was Narcissa's marriage arranged for the sake of a pureblood family?

We know that Bellatrix married Rudolphus for the pureblood reason -- there was no love in that marriage according to JKR.

But Lucius had a lot more going for him, I think... he was rich, he was intelligent, he was ambitious and probably reasonably good looking... and Narcissa was beautiful so they both probably could afford to be choosy over whom they married...

I'm thinking that they married because of mutual attraction...
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Good one! Lol.

She severed Severus; br>
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I tend to agree that Narcissa probably was more interested in Lucius than Bella was in Rudolphus-she stuck with him, after all, rather than deserting him or lusting after Voldemort. But there was probably still a fair bit of pressure on her to tow the Toujours Pur line-rather than get zapped off the tapestry like Andromeda.

I'm just trying to think of how she could have safely extricated herself and Draco once Voldemort returned. I don't think we learn what her opinion of Voldemort was when he first came to power. I am guessing that she probably enjoyed the prestige of being married to a Death Eater in Voldemort's inner circle, but I doubt she took part in any of the bloodshed. She just doesn't seem the type to exert herself unless there is a direct threat to her.

For all we know, when Voldemort disappeared, she might have been very relieved. After Voldey returned, how could she make her escape without bringing more disaster to her family?

Lily did choose to kick Snape loose because of the company he was keeping and his attraction to the Dark Arts, but at that point, the only thing she was giving up was her friendship with Snape-Narcissa could have brought death to her husband and son if she had tried to turn away from Voldemort. Since Lily had been brought up by Muggles, she wouldn't have had the whole pureblood thing drummed into her head in childhood as Narcissa did, so it's not surprising they had different reactions.

br>

We know that Bellatrix married Rudolphus for the pureblood reason -- there was no love in that marriage according to JKR.

But Lucius had a lot more going for him, I think... he was rich, he was intelligent, he was ambitious and probably reasonably good looking... and Narcissa was beautiful so they both probably could afford to be choosy over whom they married...

I'm thinking that they married because of mutual attraction...