Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Draco Malfoy, dupe, or dope.

Oh, definitely it is the same here.  We don't see much of it today on the board, but if you go back to the old posts from two years ago, when we had a lot of teenagers on the board, Draco was a favorite topic with them.  We older folks suggested to them that they might just be infatuated with the actor who played him, but they denied that.  They just thought the "bad boy" was cool. 

I can understand the appeal to a girl of boys who are impishly naughty -- they are often outrageously fun, like Fred and George.  But I never thought Draco fit in that category.

matrim wrote:

Thanks, Psychee!

Off topic...

In China, quite some HP fans-presumably teenagers- swarm the boards to acclaim how cool and stylish Draco was. I suspect they are more referring to the Draco in the movies than  the one in the books. I wonder if it's the same here?

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

matrim--Re:  wide margin thing--It seems to go away with the new page, matrim, and I don't have the tools to fix it, I'm afraid.  Like Psychee says, it's no biggie, unless people want me to ask around in the back room for the handyman to see if it can be fixed.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Correspondent
Stewies_Mom
0 Kudos

Oh, to finally have internet service again!  Two or three days without access is punishment.  I didn't know cable modems could go bad.  I didn't realize how slow my speeds were getting until I lost my connection completely and had to replace my modem!

Anyway, Mollywobles, I don't disagree with you on the bravado theory.  I do think Draco saw being a DE as exciting, dangerous and his DE inclusion made him seem more important - all things that a teenaged boy would be using to impress a girl - in this case, Pansy Parkinson, whose lap his head in resting in on the Hogwarts Express.  I think this desire to impress people is exactly why Draco is boasting to everyone in his compartment that he has bigger and more important things to accomplish in the coming year.  As far as the occlumency lessons are concerned, I can only assume that if Aunt Bella wanted to teach me something, I'd take her up on it, and besides, if I didn't, I'd probably be goaded into it by my mother, anyway.

I do consider Draco, misguided (using your term - I wouldn't use a term quite so ambiguous - I still prefer "Bully"), while Tom Riddle was evil.  I believe that the distinction between the two is the fact that in the orphanage, Tom was using his abilities to harm and/or inflict pain on the other inhabitants of the orphanage even before the "magical" 11th birthday, whereas Draco is only using his family name and relations to make himself seem more impressive.  He is just a bully and isn't it generally accepted that children who bully others are doing it to deflect attention away from their own weaknesses?

Again, I'm sorry to disagree, but I still stand on my prior post that Draco was not evil, but simply a bully and the Tom Riddle was, indeed, evil.

Mollywobbles wrote:

I get a different impression from the text Stewies_Mom.  In the Slug Club chapter of HPB, when Harry under the invisibility cloak, is eavesdropping on Draco and the other Slytherins on the train, Draco is hinting that he may have more important things to do than finish his education, that he may be joining "HIM".  Now this could just be simply teenage bravado, but it doesn't suggest coersion at all.  Draco I think has already volunteered, but can't keep the secret to himself, he has to give little hints to his Slytherin pals.  I believe we find out later in HPB that Draco has been learning tricks from Aunt Bella-like Occlumency-and this had to have happened during the summer break.  So why would Draco be seeking out info and assistance from Aunt Bella if he hadn't planned on signing up with the dark side?

Perhaps you're thinking of the Spinner's End chapter, when Narcissa and Bella and Snape are speaking of the task that Voldemort has chosen Draco to perform.  But how do we know which came first, Draco volunteering, or Voldemort assigning him the task. Was it eagerness on the part of Draco to assume Lucius' place, or Voldemort's intent to punish Lucius by assigning his son an impossible task..I'm not sure we can pin this down.

I think it's possible the answer lies somewhere in between.  Draco was in a snit because of Lucius' imprisonment and was eager to hit back, and Voldemort was in a snit because of Lucius' failure and lured Draco into volunteering.

I'm still interested, though, in how you distinguish degrees of evil in young Riddle and young Draco at the same age-say 16/17.  Why is Riddle evil and Draco , what, misguided? 

Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I guess we won't completely agree on this Stewies_Mom, but it's been an interesting discussion. I think we agree that Voldemort was evil, and Draco was a bully.  I simply posit that it isn't an entirely fair comparisson because we see what Voldemort became as an adult, whereas Draco had a major, life changing experience at the age of 17 and his path may have been altered. I think the seeds of evil were there in Draco as a young man, as they were in the young Riddle, but Riddle's flowered into the evil that was Voldemort, whereas Draco's were cut off by the events in his 7th year and he became a better person than perhaps he might have become. 

That said, I still don't like the little twerp :smileyhappy:

Stewies_Mom wrote:

Oh, to finally have internet service again!  Two or three days without access is punishment.  I didn't know cable modems could go bad.  I didn't realize how slow my speeds were getting until I lost my connection completely and had to replace my modem!

Anyway, Mollywobles, I don't disagree with you on the bravado theory.  I do think Draco saw being a DE as exciting, dangerous and his DE inclusion made him seem more important - all things that a teenaged boy would be using to impress a girl - in this case, Pansy Parkinson, whose lap his head in resting in on the Hogwarts Express.  I think this desire to impress people is exactly why Draco is boasting to everyone in his compartment that he has bigger and more important things to accomplish in the coming year.  As far as the occlumency lessons are concerned, I can only assume that if Aunt Bella wanted to teach me something, I'd take her up on it, and besides, if I didn't, I'd probably be goaded into it by my mother, anyway.

I do consider Draco, misguided (using your term - I wouldn't use a term quite so ambiguous - I still prefer "Bully"), while Tom Riddle was evil.  I believe that the distinction between the two is the fact that in the orphanage, Tom was using his abilities to harm and/or inflict pain on the other inhabitants of the orphanage even before the "magical" 11th birthday, whereas Draco is only using his family name and relations to make himself seem more impressive.  He is just a bully and isn't it generally accepted that children who bully others are doing it to deflect attention away from their own weaknesses?

Again, I'm sorry to disagree, but I still stand on my prior post that Draco was not evil, but simply a bully and the Tom Riddle was, indeed, evil.