Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
Posts: 2,931
Registered: ‎06-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Dumbledore gay???

As to the chairs, I think perhaps you are thinking of some times when McGonagall conjured chairs, and these were definitely spartan, hard wooden chairs, no creature comforts for Minerva.  I know Shadow will hate this, but you just have to love how Minerva  gets to the heart of the matter.  Sit, Eat, Sleep.
 

 

the_mad_chatter wrote:
Not at all!  I just heard the fragment about his being gay and then someone saying that it explained the relation between Dumbledore and someone.  From Book 1 thru 6 I couldn't figure who that someone was and only suspected Snape.  (Snape...Snake, I love the names JKR uses).  How wrong was I? 
 
I choose my name after reading Book 1...I swear I'm using Ron-isms from now on.  I can't wait to ask someone if their "taking the piss out".  :smileyvery-happy:
 
As for the chair in OOTP, I see that you are the master and I will go back and read that.  I really thought it was a wooden chair.  I'll get back to you on that.
 
 



Frequent Contributor
ciproano
Posts: 176
Registered: ‎03-13-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Dumbledore gay???

I agree with Mrs. RW that the behavior of two teenage boys did seem a bit odd, but to me it did not seem suggestive.  I am reading the Isaacson bio of Einstein and he describes the young (college age) Albert in those very bohemian terms, staying up all hours, long and deep discussions of philosophy and physics, most often with other men though occasionally with a woman.  I remember a period like that in my own college years when we were just too full of our own brilliant ideas that we were convinced were of earth-shaking importance, up all hours, long and deep discussions (though we often used phones, not letters...I wonder if college-agers use txt-ing now for that purpose.  Somehow Descarte and Neitszche would lose something in translation, "i thnk thr4 iam" and "gd iz ded").
 
Sorry, strayed off topic...the DD and GW relationship seemed to have a passion that I took for that full-of-themselves passion for the ideas but could clearly have reflected a shared passion for both the ideas and the thinkers.  And it does explain DD's seeming poor judgment so that Abberforth the goat-hugger intervenes with common sense.
 
And so....so what?  Had we known, would we have loved DD less?  Would Harry?  Would it have made DD less of a teacher?  Less wise?  I think it is very interesting that JKR's revelation (or clarification) came post-publication, because it truly challenges us to consider that if our answer to any of these questions (had we known, would we have loved him less, looked at him differently) tells us much more about ourselves than it does about DD.  After all, he did not change, he is in black and white for all time.  Did we change?  Were we angry that we were not told earlier or that the "clues" were non-existent or too subtle?
 
And I have to make one more comment:  about the flowered hat and chintz chairs.  I do not for one moment think that these could have been "clues" to DD's homosexuality any more than the fact that he wore robes and kept a bird as a pet.  I can't imagine that JKR, who has a remarkable social conscience, would go for the cage aux folles effect.
 
As many have mentioned, had DD's homosexuality been openly a part of his character, there would undoubtedly have been even more prejudice and persecution of the books by those who live in fear and hatred.  In contrast, from PoA to DH we all were drawn into great sympathy for Lupin and the prejudice he faces as a werewolf.  There are many fans who love his character and revile those who persecute him.  This was a wonderful lesson from JKR in acceptance in spite of "characteristics" that are unacceptable to some.   Although her revelation about DD may have been accidental (who really knows?), she is continuing to challenge us with the lesson of acceptance.  And the answers are perhaps not in the books but in our heads...and to quote DD himself, does that make it any less real?
 
Okay, the soapbox is now available...!
 
Puffy
 
 
Puffy Griffinclaw
 
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are far more than our abilities."
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
Posts: 2,931
Registered: ‎06-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Dumbledore gay???

Well said, Puffy.  Also, I especially liked your text interpretation of Descartes and Neitszche :smileyvery-happy:
 

 

ciproano wrote:
I agree with Mrs. RW that the behavior of two teenage boys did seem a bit odd, but to me it did not seem suggestive.  I am reading the Isaacson bio of Einstein and he describes the young (college age) Albert in those very bohemian terms, staying up all hours, long and deep discussions of philosophy and physics, most often with other men though occasionally with a woman.  I remember a period like that in my own college years when we were just too full of our own brilliant ideas that we were convinced were of earth-shaking importance, up all hours, long and deep discussions (though we often used phones, not letters...I wonder if college-agers use txt-ing now for that purpose.  Somehow Descarte and Neitszche would lose something in translation, "i thnk thr4 iam" and "gd iz ded").
 
Sorry, strayed off topic...the DD and GW relationship seemed to have a passion that I took for that full-of-themselves passion for the ideas but could clearly have reflected a shared passion for both the ideas and the thinkers.  And it does explain DD's seeming poor judgment so that Abberforth the goat-hugger intervenes with common sense.
 
And so....so what?  Had we known, would we have loved DD less?  Would Harry?  Would it have made DD less of a teacher?  Less wise?  I think it is very interesting that JKR's revelation (or clarification) came post-publication, because it truly challenges us to consider that if our answer to any of these questions (had we known, would we have loved him less, looked at him differently) tells us much more about ourselves than it does about DD.  After all, he did not change, he is in black and white for all time.  Did we change?  Were we angry that we were not told earlier or that the "clues" were non-existent or too subtle?
 
And I have to make one more comment:  about the flowered hat and chintz chairs.  I do not for one moment think that these could have been "clues" to DD's homosexuality any more than the fact that he wore robes and kept a bird as a pet.  I can't imagine that JKR, who has a remarkable social conscience, would go for the cage aux folles effect.
 
As many have mentioned, had DD's homosexuality been openly a part of his character, there would undoubtedly have been even more prejudice and persecution of the books by those who live in fear and hatred.  In contrast, from PoA to DH we all were drawn into great sympathy for Lupin and the prejudice he faces as a werewolf.  There are many fans who love his character and revile those who persecute him.  This was a wonderful lesson from JKR in acceptance in spite of "characteristics" that are unacceptable to some.   Although her revelation about DD may have been accidental (who really knows?), she is continuing to challenge us with the lesson of acceptance.  And the answers are perhaps not in the books but in our heads...and to quote DD himself, does that make it any less real?
 
Okay, the soapbox is now available...!
 
Puffy
 
 
Puffy Griffinclaw
 



B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
Posts: 793
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Dumbledore gay???

[ Edited ]
Am I the only loyal Cupcake Eater left? Do I wait in vain for the Dark Countess's return? Am I the Barty Jr. (Slightly saner version) of the great Evil McG debate? Just wait I shall be vindicated in the far flung sequel (Which I might have to write myself) Albus Potter and the Hidden Evil!
Mollywobbles wrote:
As to the chairs, I think perhaps you are thinking of some times when McGonagall conjured chairs, and these were definitely spartan, hard wooden chairs, no creature comforts for Minerva.  I know Shadow will hate this, but you just have to love how Minerva  gets to the heart of the matter.  Sit, Eat, Sleep.
 

 

the_mad_chatter wrote:
Not at all!  I just heard the fragment about his being gay and then someone saying that it explained the relation between Dumbledore and someone.  From Book 1 thru 6 I couldn't figure who that someone was and only suspected Snape.  (Snape...Snake, I love the names JKR uses).  How wrong was I? 
 
I choose my name after reading Book 1...I swear I'm using Ron-isms from now on.  I can't wait to ask someone if their "taking the piss out".  :smileyvery-happy:
 
As for the chair in OOTP, I see that you are the master and I will go back and read that.  I really thought it was a wooden chair.  I'll get back to you on that.
 
 








Message Edited by ShadowCougar on 02-28-2008 11:53 AM
"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
Posts: 2,931
Registered: ‎06-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Dumbledore gay???

I'm afraid you stand alone, Shadow, the Countess has done a bunk along with all her loyal followers, save you.  I am surprised at the title of your sequel, I would have thought it would be a scathing article, fit for Rita's pen, titled something along the lines of Minerva McGonagall, her Unauthorized Biography, or Why does Minerva always wear long sleeves, is she concealing her Dark Mark?

ShadowCougar wrote:
Am I the only loyal Cupcake Eater left? Do I wait in vain for the Dark Countess's return? Am I the Barty Jr. (Slightly saner version) of the great Evil McG debate? Just wait I shall be vindicated in the far flung sequel (Which I might have to write myself) Albus Potter and the Hidden Evil!
Mollywobbles wrote:
As to the chairs, I think perhaps you are thinking of some times when McGonagall conjured chairs, and these were definitely spartan, hard wooden chairs, no creature comforts for Minerva.  I know Shadow will hate this, but you just have to love how Minerva  gets to the heart of the matter.  Sit, Eat, Sleep.
 

 

the_mad_chatter wrote:
Not at all!  I just heard the fragment about his being gay and then someone saying that it explained the relation between Dumbledore and someone.  From Book 1 thru 6 I couldn't figure who that someone was and only suspected Snape.  (Snape...Snake, I love the names JKR uses).  How wrong was I? 
 
I choose my name after reading Book 1...I swear I'm using Ron-isms from now on.  I can't wait to ask someone if their "taking the piss out".  :smileyvery-happy:
 
As for the chair in OOTP, I see that you are the master and I will go back and read that.  I really thought it was a wooden chair.  I'll get back to you on that.
 
 








Message Edited by ShadowCougar on 02-28-2008 11:53 AM


Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
Posts: 1,234
Registered: ‎07-24-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Dumbledore gay???

Nah, she doesn't have a dark mark. It's just an out-of-fashion tattoo. She was a loyal follower of the Grateful Dead and she has a glorious inking of Jerry Garcia on her arm. Oddly enough, however, she did get the tattoo in precisely the same spot where the Dark Mark appears. It is a completely benign inking, but if the area of the tattoo is ever cut, a beautiful, puffy cloud appears in the magical sky.
 
Oops, I have broken my Lenten probation. I suppose I'll hang out one more day in purgatory. What's a day in eternity though?
You guys are a bad influence.

Mollywobbles wrote:
Why does Minerva always wear long sleeves, is she concealing her Dark Mark?


Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
Posts: 2,931
Registered: ‎06-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Dumbledore gay???

ROTFL, Kreacher.  I think your abstinence is having a profound impact on your funny bone.:smileyvery-happy:

Kreacherteacher wrote:
Nah, she doesn't have a dark mark. It's just an out-of-fashion tattoo. She was a loyal follower of the Grateful Dead and she has a glorious inking of Jerry Garcia on her arm. Oddly enough, however, she did get the tattoo in precisely the same spot where the Dark Mark appears. It is a completely benign inking, but if the area of the tattoo is ever cut, a beautiful, puffy cloud appears in the magical sky.
 
Oops, I have broken my Lenten probation. I suppose I'll hang out one more day in purgatory. What's a day in eternity though?
You guys are a bad influence.

Mollywobbles wrote:
Why does Minerva always wear long sleeves, is she concealing her Dark Mark?





Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
Posts: 943
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Dumbledore gay???



Kreacherteacher wrote:
Nah, she doesn't have a dark mark. It's just an out-of-fashion tattoo. She was a loyal follower of the Grateful Dead and she has a glorious inking of Jerry Garcia on her arm. Oddly enough, however, she did get the tattoo in precisely the same spot where the Dark Mark appears. It is a completely benign inking, but if the area of the tattoo is ever cut, a beautiful, puffy cloud appears in the magical sky.
Oops, I have broken my Lenten probation. I suppose I'll hang out one more day in purgatory. What's a day in eternity though?
You guys are a bad influence.

Mollywobbles wrote:
Why does Minerva always wear long sleeves, is she concealing her Dark Mark?







oooh, I like this idea! Wizarding deadheads. I always thought Fred and George could have made a fortune off this market!
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
Posts: 2,931
Registered: ‎06-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Dumbledore gay???

I expect Luna would have a tattoo of KC and the Sunshine Band on her arm, or, this being Luna, on her fanny.  If Snape didn't have a Dark Mark, perhaps it would be a Bob Dylan tattoo-"Snape is in the basement, mixin' up the medicine" 
 
It must be Friday.

phrodo41 wrote:


Kreacherteacher wrote:
Nah, she doesn't have a dark mark. It's just an out-of-fashion tattoo. She was a loyal follower of the Grateful Dead and she has a glorious inking of Jerry Garcia on her arm. Oddly enough, however, she did get the tattoo in precisely the same spot where the Dark Mark appears. It is a completely benign inking, but if the area of the tattoo is ever cut, a beautiful, puffy cloud appears in the magical sky.
Oops, I have broken my Lenten probation. I suppose I'll hang out one more day in purgatory. What's a day in eternity though?
You guys are a bad influence.

Mollywobbles wrote:
Why does Minerva always wear long sleeves, is she concealing her Dark Mark?







oooh, I like this idea! Wizarding deadheads. I always thought Fred and George could have made a fortune off this market!


Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
Posts: 1,234
Registered: ‎07-24-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Dumbledore gay???

It has been a very strange couple of weeks. I cannot stay away. I'm so happy when I make you all laugh! :smileyhappy:

Mollywobbles wrote:
ROTFL, Kreacher.  I think your abstinence is having a profound impact on your funny bone.:smileyvery-happy:


Frequent Contributor
Kate_b
Posts: 225
Registered: ‎02-07-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Dumbledore gay???

When ever some one writes a book they will keep at laset parts to them sevles.I don't think she was trying to get attention or any thin. Also most Gay guys i know are really sweet to each toher and Dumboldore was verey sweet also he sent Grinwald late messages at night (how cutie) guys don't normanlly do that.
So yes i think it's "for real"
A verey merry un-birthday to you and you. and you is it your un -birthday too?
Contributor
KristiGal09
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎01-29-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Dumbledore gay???

Well I see a lot of people got caught up on my "weirdo" comment about JK Rowling. You all really like to state your opinion on correcting my opinion. How about you can stick with your veiws and I can stick with mine? Thanks :smileyhappy:
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Dumbledore gay???

Everyone is always entitled to their own opinion on this board, KristiGal09.  We have no problem with your believing that JKR is a "weirdo".
 
Since you made that comment almost five months ago, though, you might consider that since then we have entirely forgotten your post and have been discussing other things in this thread.


KristiGal09 wrote:
Well I see a lot of people got caught up on my "weirdo" comment about JK Rowling. You all really like to state your opinion on correcting my opinion. How about you can stick with your veiws and I can stick with mine? Thanks :smileyhappy: