Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

Dumbledore gay???

This just in, from Mugglenet:

More info revealed from Jo's reading in NYC

More info revealed from Jo's reading in NYC 2,000 lucky fans had the opportunity to interact with JK Rowling this evening at Carnegie Hall. The reading was rather eventful, as Jo revealed a lot of new information previously unknown about the series.

The most notable news of the night was the revelation of Dumbledore's sexuality. Jo says Dumbledore was gay and in love with Gellert Grindelwald. JK, in response to the audience's reaction, said "If I had known this would have made you so happy, I would have told you years ago."

Is this for real?
Frequent Contributor
valeriefrankel
0 Kudos

Re: Dumbledore gay???

[ Edited ]
One assumes that since several sites, such as Leaky Cauldron, published this news, it's offered by a reputable source. It's a matter of record (jkrowling.com among other places) that she spoke in New York today. She's given us so many surprising tidbits not referenced in the series (such as how everyone dies, marries, etc) that I don't find this a total shocker, just surprising.

As far as Dumbledore's closet, I did find it interesting while reading that while he "fathers" Harry, and even Snape and James and Draco a bit, we see no evidence of a wife/old girlfriend/child in D's past. His closest relationships (and, granted, most major HP characters) seem to be male. It adds a level of complexity and depth that Dumbledore isn't just destroying his best friend to end the wizarding world's side of WWII, but someone with a deeper relationship-- in a series this caught up in the meaning and consequences of love, I think it does add something to find out how Dumbledore's love affected him...on the other hand, we don't find out much, do we? It's rather a cheat that there's no allusion to any of this within the series.

Message Edited by valeriefrankel on 10-19-2007 11:51 PM
Valerie Frankel
Author of Henry Potty and the Pet Rock:
An Unauthorized Harry Potter Parody
www.HarryPotterParody.com
Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

I know, it's crazy right? I've been going nuts with the news and I've only known for like two hours, lol. But it just sort of puts things in perspective doesn't it? The man knew true love for everyone else, you wondered why he didn't have anyone, and now we hear he had a thing for dear Gellert... but was heartbroken...

I don't know how JK does it...

phrodo41 wrote:
This just in, from Mugglenet:

More info revealed from Jo's reading in NYC

More info revealed from Jo's reading in NYC 2,000 lucky fans had the opportunity to interact with JK Rowling this evening at Carnegie Hall. The reading was rather eventful, as Jo revealed a lot of new information previously unknown about the series.

The most notable news of the night was the revelation of Dumbledore's sexuality. Jo says Dumbledore was gay and in love with Gellert Grindelwald. JK, in response to the audience's reaction, said "If I had known this would have made you so happy, I would have told you years ago."

Is this for real?

I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
Frequent Contributor
tigerlilly
0 Kudos

I think this is the best post-DH information I have heard yet! I have kind of wondered time to time whether or not DD was gay, but I always dismissed it becasue I figured if that was the case, than we all would've known about it.
But I can understand why she didn't include that information in the books. There are still a lot of people out there who are uncomfortable with homosexuality. And if she had even alluded to the possibility of a gay character in a "children's book", many people probably would have freaked out. Plus,some huge media frenzy would have started up about it and I don't think she wanted all that drama. I don't think she would have wanted a mother or father to take away their child's beloved magical world just because of that, which you know some people would have done. How sad for those kids if that had happened! Maybe she thought that bit of information was just not worth all of that trouble. To me, it sounded like she was pretty suprised that so many people were happy about it when she finally told them in NY.
Still, it would have been very nice if that information had been revealed in the books. Wow, DD in love with Grindelwald! It explains so much. No wonder DD was so hesitant to defeat him. What a beautiful complement to the story!
"Who's that little old man?
PAUL'S GRANDFATHER!"
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

I am fine with the information, just as I was fine without it. We had no information on any other spouses of professors either. In a way, it kind of made them benignly asexual. I always attributed their stuffiness and bad tempers to this. :smileyhappy:

I think though, when we think about it, it makes sense. He was intrigued to great extent by Gellert and vice versa, writing letters back and forth and spending a good deal of time together prior to Gellert's goofy ideas and losing DD's sister.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

***stares incredulously at computer screen*** And I thought Phrodo was just having a bit of fun when I saw this thread...

DD gay...I'm thinking it's a possibility...though she never gives us any direct hints. Like the whole, DD GW thing...in any other book I might have had suspicions. But the whole story is so vague as it is; you wouldn't really see it immediately. But then there is the question...WHY would DD fall for that card in the first place? Just because he was young isn't much of an explanation. Dumbledore was a genius all along...it would seem he could see through that...
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

On another note...I would've loved to have seen David Yates' face when he got the information from Jo. According to the article, he had some script reference about DD and a girl in the past. But Jo wrote him a note to enlighten him. That would've been funny to see.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Kreacherteacher wrote:
On another note...I would've loved to have seen David Yates' face when he got the information from Jo. According to the article, he had some script reference about DD and a girl in the past. But Jo wrote him a note to enlighten him. That would've been funny to see.

lol...that would make my day. i actually like the idea. puts another twist on the story...not of any significance, but still something to talk about...:smileyhappy:
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

This makes me wonder if Crabbe and Goyle were gay. What do you think?
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
What?! That's interesting. I kind of always saw Dumbledore as asexual also, Kreacherteacher, because he seems so off in his world of genius that I always thought he wouldn't be one to be susceptible to romantic fantasies of any kind, or even have time for that kind of thing. Just wondering what parents are going to say... I personally have no problem with it (I'm not a parent, by the way), but I'm sure some are going to have a fit that a children's author is "promoting" homosexuality. Hmmm.

Message Edited by APenForYourThoughts on 10-20-2007 09:33 AM
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

agnijay wrote:

No, they were just obese gits. with the brain capacity of a walnut...
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

My opinion...

It offers us a great opportunity to talk with our kids about real life, doesn't it? Fiction is a mirror.

I think it also offers us a chance to talk about not being blinded by love; perhaps an impossible task.

Another "If" - Would DD be where he was, and would we have had the same conclusion, had DD not met and fallen in love with GG.

DD and GG sittin' in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g...

Okay, sorry for that last line of silliness, but I could see Snape humming or singing this little tune on his finest humored day.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

APenForYourThoughts wrote:
but I'm sure some are going to have a fit that a children's author is "promoting" homosexuality. Hmmm.

Message Edited by APenForYourThoughts on 10-20-2007 09:33 AM

You're right...**sigh** when will they ever learn?
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

LOL Abi!

ABI wrote:

agnijay wrote:

No, they were just obese gits. with the brain capacity of a walnut...

Frequent Contributor
LovelyLuna
0 Kudos

The logic is that Dumbledore had no relationships and neither did most of the other Hogwarts teachers are they all gay too? So someone else should ask Jo, who else is gay.

Luna
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a Gift, that's why they call it "The Present."
Frequent Contributor
PEGSmom
0 Kudos

Ya'll beat me to the post! I just read this on Yahoo!News and had to confirm it on Leaky Cauldron and Mugglenet. I am sitting here with my eyes bulged out, I didn't see that coming! WOW just think of what else we'll learn when that encyclopedia comes out.
~ PEGSmom~
"It's our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities" Albus Dumbledore
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Mark Twain
New User
ariadne
0 Kudos

Thought this was interesting. My first thought when I heard the news teaser "Rowling drops a bombshell about a major character" was that Sirius was gay. I always really rather thought he might be, you know? No known relationships although he was quite good-looking, etc. I could envision James' best friend being gay and him not caring a bit about it. I was surprised to hear about Dumbledore. I would really rather have not know ANYTHING about his sex life, either straight or gay, as I think I preferred his character a bit "larger than life" and his tragic past sort of stands without anything else. Nothing against him being gay, tho, as a background story. Adds a bit more tragedy to the idea of him defeating Grindelwald. Poor Dumbledore - every relationship in his life was destroyed in some way. How utterly, awfully alone.
Frequent Contributor
Solitud
0 Kudos

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My husband just gave me the news (he'd just read it). Why it had to be DD????

I for one am glad it was not written down in the books. These are children books, and even though children grow up, that is the kind of thing parents have to choose when to talk to their kids about (although I am sure situations are the ones that dictate when to do the talk) much like the "bees and the flowers" talk.

Another idea is that this would have become an issue and would have taken away from the whole idea of doing things (sacrifices) "for the greater good". Valeriefrankel says: "It adds a level of complexity and depth that Dumbledore isn't just destroying his best friend to end the wizarding world's side of WWII, but someone with a deeper relationship-- in a series this caught up in the meaning and consequences of love, I think it does add something to find out how Dumbledore's love affected him...on the other hand, we don't find out much, do we? It's rather a cheat that there's no allusion to any of this within the series." But I think it gives him a more personal motif (not that his feelings towards the loss of his sister were not personal enough) to destroy Grindelwald, and does not make this defeating him sound so noble. It does give it a very sad turn, I mean like someone said he was heartbroken.... BIG TIME! One more reason to remain single for life (not seeking romantic love, I mean) but loving others in a more general way.

I prefer to see the teachers as gender neutral (benignly asexual, like Kreacherteacher said), not without feelings, but just like teachers and authority figures are often seen by children. I mean, who of you like to think of your parents having intimacy? I bet most of you are going "EEEEWWWWW!" at the thought right now!

Kreacherteacher, the face I'd love to see is Michael Gambon's!!! Maybe now he'll give the character some mannerisms.

See, the only one I'd thought of having some questionable sexual inclinations was Aberforth with his goat infatuation! LOL
Frequent Contributor
Solitud
0 Kudos

LovelyLuna wrote:
The logic is that Dumbledore had no relationships and neither did most of the other Hogwarts teachers are they all gay too? So someone else should ask Jo, who else is gay.

Luna

I would rather ask: What would be Snape's reaction to such news?
Frequent Contributor
blinkgirl89
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
DD. Gay!!! wow i can't believe it, but then again it does sought of make sense.

Message Edited by blinkgirl89 on 10-20-2007 11:26 AM
LAKERS 2009 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

"PIGFARTS, IS ON MARS"