Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Dumbledore

First, admit you cried.

How much do we know about him? Didn't you love getting a glimpse of him as a younger man? Do you get the impression that he was always so perfectly patient, insightful, and talented? Will JKR surprise us with any new information about Dumbledore?

What does it mean to have lost this most powerful and incorruptible wizard?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Dumbledore

rkubie wrote:

"You think the dead we loved ever truly leave us? You think that we don't recall them more clearly than ever in times of great trouble?"

"I will only truly have left this school when none here are loyal to me... Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it." Albus Dumbledore

_
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Even with Dumbledore physically gone his picture will still be around to give advice just like all the past headmasters and mistresses. I think that if he was still around that Harry might not put his whole effort into what needs to be done and Voldemort would be reluctant to confront Harry with Dumbledore standing by his side. In a way I think DD knew this and so let things happen the way they did. I still an not sure which way Snape will go but also maybe DD knew what was going to happen and so didn't fight it except to give Harry a chance to survive.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
maggie21
0 Kudos

Well said Phychee!I'm hoping that in book 7,Dumbledore's brother will give us some insight into his younger yrs.Dumbledore was a very old Wizard,he had alot of yrs.to perfect his craft.I think that he related so well to Harry because they were alot alike in many ways.I must admit when I read the "The White Tomb"the first time,I cried and cried.Unfortunatly,Dumbledore had to die in order for Harry to complete his task,and take out LV.I think that even though Harry was very stubburn and impossible at times,he still gained alot of knowledge and insight from DD,that will benefit him when he least expects it!
Contributor
3Liesl69
0 Kudos

I just finished the book today.

Professor Albus Dumbledore is dead and Professor Snape killed him?! Is anyone else feeling too shocked to cry?
3-Liesl-69
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

3Liesl69 wrote:

Professor Albus Dumbledore is dead and Professor Snape killed him?! Is anyone else feeling too shocked to cry?

Wasn't that the saddest, most shocking thing you've ever read? I had to go take a long walk to get over it...

And, yes, I'm sorry to say that it isn't a ruse. He's really dead. JKR told us to go through our grief process and forgive her...
Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
0 Kudos

3Liesl69 wrote:

at first i thot i had miss read it n had to go back n make sure,but after that it got really hard to finish the book from crying. the same thing happened back in ootp with sirius, everytime harry would try to figure out a way to see him still n fail my heart would break all over again. :smileysad: thats why i was kinda happy that he grew up some and wasnt doing he same thing or i may not have finished it as quick as i did.
Julie
Frequent Contributor
FantasyFan
0 Kudos

It was just as sad the second time I read it as it was the first. One thing that really scares me if is that if Dumbledore can die anything can happen. We have already lost 2 of our favorites, who's next? I feel so bad for Harry because it seems like everyone in his life that he could consider "family" gets killed.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

JKR says that Dumbledore's family could be a profitable line of inquiry.

I think Dumbledore is related to the Weasleys. They all have vivid red hair, which is how many people can readily identify that they are related. And in the memories including a much younger Dumbledore, he has auburn hair, which is a dark shade of red. Just a guess. Thoughts?
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

kpeterson32 wrote:

I think Dumbledore is related to the Weasleys. They all have vivid red hair, which is how many people can readily identify that they are related. And in the memories including a much younger Dumbledore, he has auburn hair, which is a dark shade of red. Just a guess. Thoughts?

That is a possibility, but I doubt that they are direct descendants, otherwise I'd expect them to call him something other than "Dumbledore".

It is also possible that both families come from Welsh backgrounds, where there is the highest percentage of red-heads on the planet, I think...

You know me and my Merlin theories, though... I thought her comment about "profitable line of inquiry" had to do with both his brother (whom we have yet to meet properly) and good old Merlin... :smileyhappy:
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:
First, admit you cried.

How much do we know about him? Didn't you love getting a glimpse of him as a younger man? Do you get the impression that he was always so perfectly patient, insightful, and talented? Will JKR surprise us with any new information about Dumbledore?

I was in complete awe for a while and read and re read that part over and over as if it were going to change. Then I longed for it to be false, and wished DD will come back somehow. I know that he won't come back to life, but there will definitely be more of DD to see and hear in #7. I believe we will see him in portraits and perhaps again in the pensieve. There is much to be learned from DD.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

3Liesl69 wrote:

You bet, I was so shocked I couldn't think about crying. I was re reading hoping I had read wrong.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

Did Merlin have any children? I have to admit that most of what I remember of him comes from Mary Stewart's "Merlin" trilogy but I sort of remember that he found love very late in life with his apprentice Niniane and didn't have any. You're the Merlin expert though Psychee, and perhaps you can help me out here.

Psychee wrote:
It is also possible that both families come from Welsh backgrounds, where there is the highest percentage of red-heads on the planet, I think...

You know me and my Merlin theories, though... I thought her comment about "profitable line of inquiry" had to do with both his brother (whom we have yet to meet properly) and good old Merlin... :smileyhappy:

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

Technically Scotland has the highest percentage at 16% of the population being red haired... as a side note, red heads are only 2% of the world population overall...

Psychee wrote:

kpeterson32 wrote:

That is a possibility, but I doubt that they are direct descendants, otherwise I'd expect them to call him something other than "Dumbledore".

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

dcsbelle wrote:
Did Merlin have any children? I have to admit that most of what I remember of him comes from Mary Stewart's "Merlin" trilogy but I sort of remember that he found love very late in life with his apprentice Niniane and didn't have any. You're the Merlin expert though Psychee, and perhaps you can help me out here.

Psychee wrote:

There are a gazillion Merlin stories, all ending differently, but probably the most known one has Merlin enchanted by the woman he loved (Nimue, a woman whom he taught all of his secrets) and left imprisoned in an oak tree. There is at least one lesser known version, though, which has him marrying an unnamed mistress at the time of Uther Pendragon, Athur's father, and having an unnamed daughter by her.

I think JKR could choose to say that he had a child if she so desired.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

I forgot to add that in one old version of the tale of Merlin, Merlin had a twin sister, Gwenddydd, which would be another means for JKR to build a story involving descendants, as she had had at least one son. That same legend has Merlin married to a lady named Gwendolyn.

Speaking of the genealogy of Merlin, that same Welsh tale has his father named "Morfrynn" which I find to be way too close to "Morfin" Gaunt's name to be merely coincidence.

I do think it is conceivable, though, that JKR might expand on this tale and merge it with others in which Merlin had Otherworldly parentage.

The story would then be of a demon who slept with a nun of royal heritage but when the baby Merlin was born he was immediately baptised which enabled him to keep his otherworldly powers while denouncing all that was evil and working instead for good. (This part is already in legend)

Some other child of this same demon might have a different fate, not get baptised, and eventually become the Slytherin family line, so that in the Harry Potter story, the Dumbledore family and the Slytherin family would share a single progenitor or forefather who was a demon.
New User
RedBird
0 Kudos

Here's what's gonna happen - Dumbledore is going to go to Harry in "ghost" form like Obi-Wan Kenobi to Luke Skywalker. Then the only way for Harry to become a Wizard Master is to kill Voldemort, who turns out to be his real father.

I watch too much Star Wars.
- it's a fish
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

RedBird wrote:
Here's what's gonna happen - Dumbledore is going to go to Harry in "ghost" form like Obi-Wan Kenobi to Luke Skywalker. Then the only way for Harry to become a Wizard Master is to kill Voldemort, who turns out to be his real father.

Two things wrong with your theory there, RedBird.

1. Dumbledore wasn't afraid to die so he wouldn't be a ghost. I'd go for another kind of spirit, though... like an angel.

2. Voldemort is not Harry's father, according to JKR. There is no blood relationship between them.
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

Hmm, that's certainly a possibility especially with the Morfin connection you mentioned. DD is indeed almost a twin of old Merlin in appearance. Can this be where she's going?

Psychee wrote:
I forgot to add that in one old version of the tale of Merlin, Merlin had a twin sister, Gwenddydd, which would be another means for JKR to build a story involving descendants, as she had had at least one son. That same legend has Merlin married to a lady named Gwendolyn.

Speaking of the genealogy of Merlin, that same Welsh tale has his father named "Morfrynn" which I find to be way too close to "Morfin" Gaunt's name to be merely coincidence.

I do think it is conceivable, though, that JKR might expand on this tale and merge it with others in which Merlin had Otherworldly parentage.

The story would then be of a demon who slept with a nun of royal heritage but when the baby Merlin was born he was immediately baptised which enabled him to keep his otherworldly powers while denouncing all that was evil and working instead for good. (This part is already in legend)

Some other child of this same demon might have a different fate, not get baptised, and eventually become the Slytherin family line, so that in the Harry Potter story, the Dumbledore family and the Slytherin family would share a single progenitor or forefather who was a demon.

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
New User
RedBird
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

RedBird wrote:

Two things wrong with your theory there, RedBird.

1. Dumbledore wasn't afraid to die so he wouldn't be a ghost. I'd go for another kind of spirit, though... like an angel.

2. Voldemort is not Harry's father, according to JKR. There is no blood relationship between them.

Heh heh, I know. I'm just being a moron. Notice how I said "I watch to much Star Wars" at the end of it all.
- it's a fish