Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

End of the Game?

JKR has said there will be no Quidditch match in book #7. What role has this sport played so far? Is it really (as Harmione says) “only a game?” What do you make of an overbearing jock character like McLaggen stepping into the game so eagerly at this point? If a game tells us something about the nature of the culture that embraces it, what does Quidditch say about the wizarding world?

Are we really done with it?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: End of the Game?

I think Quidditch in the wizarding world serves the same purpose as sports do in the Muggle world. Humans have natural animal instincts for competition; sports allow them to exercise this in a pro-social way instead of actually fighting with each other as in war. It also serves to give otherwise different people a group identity, a common cause -- rooting for the home team, as it were, even if they hate each other in other areas of their lives.

One thing I've noticed about Quidditch, though, is that it has seven players on each team -- that magic number 7 again shows its importance in the wizard world.

Will there be a parallel to Quidditch in Harry's final game against Voldemort? If he is the "seeker", who are his beaters, his chasers, his keeper?

That overbearing jock McLaggen seems like he's a bit of a power hungry Death Eater in Training to me, but we'll have to wait to find out...
Frequent Contributor
Ladybuglver8115
0 Kudos

Even if there is no Quiddich match in the 7th book we will not be done with it. Just because we won't see the Quiddich match doesn't mean they won't happen. Also, the book will still have boys and men and where there are boys and men most of the time there is sports, if not playing or watching then talking about them. Since Quiddich is the sport of the wizarding world it will be talked about. I highly doubt there will be no mention whatsoever of Quiddich in the 7th book.
Frequent Contributor
midnite_writer
0 Kudos

Ladybuglver8115 wrote:
Even if there is no Quiddich match in the 7th book we will not be done with it. Just because we won't see the Quiddich match doesn't mean they won't happen. Also, the book will still have boys and men and where there are boys and men most of the time there is sports, if not playing or watching then talking about them. Since Quiddich is the sport of the wizarding world it will be talked about. I highly doubt there will be no mention whatsoever of Quiddich in the 7th book.

That's right....I hope so
*-*-*-*-*-*-
The Magic of the Harry Potter series will never die, as long as the books are on our shelves and the characters stay in our hearts.
Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

Er... has anyone else realized that if the precedent follows, with there bing no more Quidditch that the last time we saw a Quiiditch match in a movie was when Harry fell from off his broom by the appearance of the Dementors... does anyone else find this sad? I mean if you only watched the movies, you'd never know they won that year, or Fifth and Sixth as well... Makes me glad I'm a reader though :smileyhappy:

I hope someone realizes this, and gets us one more Quidditch scene... somehow, someway... Quidditch is why I got started. I saw people- excuse me, I saw wizards flying on broomsticks, and had to watch whatever this was. Everything else is history.

Can we Petition for one more Quidditch match?? Can we do it for Ron?? First he doesn't get to play Quidditch, and as the movie seemed to IGNORE, he isn't a prefect either. Poor guy.
I don't think I'm better than you, I just know better...
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

No kidding!
He deserves more credit!

Sent a letter in the mail in braille to Johnny Quest
Send me back my Etch-a-Sketch!
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

Honestly that is one of the things that bothered me about the Movie. OotP is the book that, in my opinion, Ron really starts to seem less Harry's sidekick, and more his friend. Coming out of harry's Shadow as it were, and we don't see that in the movie.

Madelia wrote:
No kidding!
He deserves more credit!

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

ShadowCougar wrote:
Honestly that is one of the things that bothered me about the Movie. OotP is the book that, in my opinion, Ron really starts to seem less Harry's sidekick, and more his friend. Coming out of harry's Shadow as it were, and we don't see that in the movie.

Madelia wrote:
No kidding!
He deserves more credit!

No, we really didn't.
Come to think of it, the characters in the movies have remained very 2-dimensional... that or given a completely different attitude (Hermione?).

Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

Shadow and Madelia really good points. Ron's still this sort of bumbling character, isn't he? Except for the moment in the Common Room when he's telling Seamus off I probably wouldn't have noticed any character development... But they defintely had a more relaxed Hermione... which sucks because as its OWL year, she should've been a bit more focused.
Frequent Contributor
midnite_writer
0 Kudos

Proper-T wrote:
Shadow and Madelia really good points. Ron's still this sort of bumbling character, isn't he? Except for the moment in the Common Room when he's telling Seamus off I probably wouldn't have noticed any character development... But they defintely had a more relaxed Hermione... which sucks because as its OWL year, she should've been a bit more focused.

Maybe we should start a petition. I wonder...
*-*-*-*-*-*-
The Magic of the Harry Potter series will never die, as long as the books are on our shelves and the characters stay in our hearts.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Will Quidditch even get a mention in the last book? Can subjects like Quidditch that took up so many pages in previous books just get dropped, do you think, without even a mention of their going on anymore? I know JKR has said she won't dramatize any more games, though.

~ConnieK, Lucky 7
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

Proper-T wrote:
But they defintely had a more relaxed Hermione... which sucks because as its OWL year, she should've been a bit more focused.

Except for the fact that she has an annoying habit of breathing very heavily...

Contributor
Lady_weasly
0 Kudos

I believe that Quiddich plays the role in bringing everyone together and showing the strenghts of the different Houses
Frequent Contributor
Proper-T
0 Kudos

I believe JK said no Quidditch in book 7... but hopefullt they'll be mention of it. I mean Viktor is due back for book 7, so Quidditch should get brought up at least once... and maybe one of the characters will play Quidditch... I've always thought Ginny could make a good Quidditch Professional...

ConnieK wrote:
Will Quidditch even get a mention in the last book? Can subjects like Quidditch that took up so many pages in previous books just get dropped, do you think, without even a mention of their going on anymore? I know JKR has said she won't dramatize any more games, though.

~ConnieK, Lucky 7

Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

I think we will see a Quiddich match in book 7, only it won't be a house-against-house true Quiddich match. I think that Harry and other(s) will fight for the last Horcrux perhaps? A nail-biting broom chase is in order I think. I also think that Quiddich positions may mean something. Harry is seeking Horcruxes, there are Keepers, like Malfoy who kept the Diary. I think maybe the game of Quiddich is symbolism for the whole story of the horcruxes and/or the last book's search and fight for them.

rkubie wrote:
JKR has said there will be no Quidditch match in book #7. What role has this sport played so far? Is it really (as Harmione says) “only a game?” What do you make of an overbearing jock character like McLaggen stepping into the game so eagerly at this point? If a game tells us something about the nature of the culture that embraces it, what does Quidditch say about the wizarding world?

B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

Well Patty, while that would be interesting, I heard that the reason JKR said no more Quiddich was cause she was tired of trying to write the acual scenes from the game and make them interesting, so I would be surprised if she did that.
It would be cool though...

PattyBNUChick wrote:
I think we will see a Quiddich match in book 7, only it won't be a house-against-house true Quiddich match. I think that Harry and other(s) will fight for the last Horcrux perhaps? A nail-biting broom chase is in order I think. I also think that Quiddich positions may mean something. Harry is seeking Horcruxes, there are Keepers, like Malfoy who kept the Diary. I think maybe the game of Quiddich is symbolism for the whole story of the horcruxes and/or the last book's search and fight for them.

rkubie wrote:

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

I'm not talking a game of Quiddich in any way, but I think its kind of symbolism and I'm sure a nice broom chase would be involved somewhere in book 7.

ShadowCougar wrote:
Well Patty, while that would be interesting, I heard that the reason JKR said no more Quiddich was cause she was tired of trying to write the acual scenes from the game and make them interesting, so I would be surprised if she did that.
It would be cool though...

PattyBNUChick wrote:

rkubie wrote: