New User
Hejdiii

Re: Favorite Quotes from DEATHLY HALLOWS

Thank you !! and yeah they did an awesome job translating the books.. Sadly some of the names and stuff had to be called something else, otherwise it would have sounded strange.. Because of that I can't read the books in english - wich sucks! - because all the things has different names...

I didn't choose the ''Will it hurt'' - even though it's a fantastic quote - because it didn't catch me the same way.. when I read ''Stay with me'' I just starting crying and kept looking at thoese three words.. Cause he had not seen his parents the same way before, except in GoF but that's different.. It just really touched me, cause i think I would ahve said the same to MY dad.. Cause sometimes we're afraid that they'll disapear for good.. And that would hurt even more than dying..

Other than that I totally agree with you :smileyhappy:

Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also3
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee

We've been told a similar story now from a person in China, a person from Italy, and a person in Spain--- about the name changes, that is.   JKR did such a fantastic job in making up names, creating them from other words that give a clue to the character, and at the same time using alliteration to make them roll off the tongue in a playful way.  I suppose the translators often had to choose whether or not to translate the meaning of the words inside the names or make up something that playfully uses alliteration -- they probably could not do both in any language other than English (with those particular words), and just using the English names would lose the fun completely in a foreign language volume. 

There are something like 750 characters in the books, and I think 90% of them have memorable names.  For me, this was a real treat, as I often find myself, in normal books, forgetting character names by the time the tenth character has been introduced and then having to go back and refresh my memory.  That never happened with the Harry Potter books.

New User
Saxy_Latin_Dude

Voldemort: "What is it about my presence in your home that displeases you, Lucius?"

Lucius: "Nothing-- nothing my Lord!"

Voldemort: "Such lies, Lucius..."

I just love the emphasis put on "lies". :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
dayrenm

Oh I love so many of them... where to start?

Ok first Mrs. Weasley:  "Not my daughter you B***h!

Harry: "Oi, there's a war going on!"

Hermoine: " Are you a wizard or not?"

Snape: " Look at me!"

LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
New User
Winter_Is_Coming

Yes, this is hands down my favorite passage from the book.  "He and Voldemort and Snape, the abandoned boys had all found home here. . ."  So many great themes in one line, brilliant.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the Harry Potter board, Sexy_Latin_Dude and Winter_Is_Coming!  

I find it funny that one of you chose a "hot" name and the other one chose a "cold" one-- 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Dan21

My Favorite Quote in DH was from Ron.

"That's for saving your life twice you two faced b**#%^&"!

Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

I agree I think its pretty funny. We get a few comic reliefs in between. 

LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!