Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Quotes from DEATHLY HALLOWS

kpeterson32 wrote:
I love unexpected moments of humor in very serious situations. I don't have my book to give the exact quote, but one that really stands out to me is the scene where Dumbledore asks Snape to kill him. Snape's response?:

"Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like to take a minute to write your epitaph?"

Now that I know they were on the same side, this line is just hilarious!

That's Snape's biting sarcasm -- it is quite funny once you know the ending! I wonder if I'll find any of his other sarcastic remarks funny when I go back to re-read the books...

In contrast, McGonagall's sarcastic wit was ALWAYS funny.
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:
That's Snape's biting sarcasm -- it is quite funny once you know the ending! I wonder if I'll find any of his other sarcastic remarks funny when I go back to re-read the books...

In contrast, McGonagall's sarcastic wit was ALWAYS funny.

Yes, Pscyhee, I quite agree. I'll certainly see Snape in a different light as I reread the entire series...next summer.

Another line I can't believe hasn't been mentioned:

"Dumbledore's Army, Still Recruiting!"
---------------------------------
"Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger!" -- Luna Lovegood
New User
empriss
0 Kudos

I loved Ginny and Harry's not so traditional commitment to each other. When Harry saw the Veela cousins.... Ginny coughed. I think my favorite was When Victor said "This girl is nice looking," recalling Harry to his surroundings. Krum was pointing at Ginny, who had just joined Luna. "she is also a relative of yours?"
"Yeah" said Harry, suddenly irritated "and she is seeing someone. Jealous type. Big bloke. You wouldn't want to cross him."
New User
Siris-girl
0 Kudos

I can't believe someone hasn't mentioned this yet. The BEST line by far was:

"Well, I don't know how to break this to you," said Ron, "but I think they MIGHT have noticed we broke into Gringotts."

Followed closely by this line:

"Albus Severus, you were named for two headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was from Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew." *sob*

I loved Snape!!!
Contributor
Reus
0 Kudos

mmm927 wrote:
Hermione: "Are you a wizard or not!"

This is a reference to the end of Book 1, when Harry and Ron are trapped by the Devil's Snare and Hermione comes to realize that fire will get rid of it. "But there's no wood..." she laments. Ron yell out, "Are you a wizard or not?"

I just love Ron.
Contributor
Reus
0 Kudos

potterfreak2 wrote:
Not really a fav quote but it was a favorite scene "Am I too late? Has it started? I only just found out, so I- I-" ~Percy Weasley cominng to join the fight (p.605)
And then "'I was an idiot, I was a pompous prat, I was a- a-' 'Ministry-loving, family-disowning, power-hungry moron,' said Fred. Percy swallowed. 'Yes, I was!'"(p.606)
I just like how Percy finally came back to the family and admitted to being everything Fred said

I loved that, too - Percy's return probably had me weeping more than anything except Dobby's death. And Fred's last words were about Percy's making a joke.
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

"He can run faster than Severus Snape confronted with shampoo if he wants to."
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
New User
Perrini
0 Kudos

Adellyta wrote:
I can't believe no one has posted this one yet...

"How do you feel Georgie?" Whispered Mrs. Weasley.
George's fingers groped for the side of his head.
"Saintlike," he murmered.
"What's wrong with him?" Croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see... I'm holy. HOLEY, Fred, geddit?"
Mrs Weasley sobbed harder than ever. Color flooded Fred's pale face.
"Pathetic." he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear-related humor before you, you go for HOLEY?"
"Ah well," Said George, grinning at his tear soaked mother. "You'll be able to tell us apart now, anyway, Mum."

The twins have always been my favorite characters, I still can't believe JK killed Fred...

Adellyta wrote:
I can't believe no one has posted this one yet...

"How do you feel Georgie?" Whispered Mrs. Weasley.
George's fingers groped for the side of his head.
"Saintlike," he murmered.
"What's wrong with him?" Croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see... I'm holy. HOLEY, Fred, geddit?"
Mrs Weasley sobbed harder than ever. Color flooded Fred's pale face.
"Pathetic." he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear-related humor before you, you go for HOLEY?"
"Ah well," Said George, grinning at his tear soaked mother. "You'll be able to tell us apart now, anyway, Mum."

The twins have always been my favorite characters, I still can't believe JK killed Fred...

I totally agree with you, I was reading it and I LOL, had to tell my boyfriend the joke, though he is still on the 5th. movie... now it just makes me soooo sad ´cause he (George) is the surviving partner of Weasley`s Wizard Wheezes... WHY FRED, WHY!!!!
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Also I love the part when the Carrow spits on MM's face and Harry pulls of his cloak and says "You really shouldn't have done that. Crucio!"
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Contributor
GinnyWeaslby
0 Kudos

dcsbelle wrote:
After having reread and thought about it more I'm going back to my first impression that he had his own agenda--his love for Lily; fortunately, it worked well into DD's plan.

GinnyWeaslby wrote:
you still think snape is ?

Good

Evil

i do not care he is still a git

that still does not answer if you think he is good evil or it does not matter he is a git
~Nittwit Oddment BlubberTweak~
~GInny W ~
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

I have to say this: he may be a git, but he is the bravest, smartest, funniest-when-he-wants-to-be git I've ever seen, in the real world or not.

GinnyWeaslby wrote:

dcsbelle wrote:
After having reread and thought about it more I'm going back to my first impression that he had his own agenda--his love for Lily; fortunately, it worked well into DD's plan.

GinnyWeaslby wrote:

Good

Evil

that still does not answer if you think he is good evil or it does not matter he is a git

He had to have been SOMEWHAT nice for Lily to like him...
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Look at the guy's childhood, that he could love somebody at all is kind of amazing to me, but he did. I don't think he's a git. Maybe we should move this git discussion to the off topic cafe. : )

RiftDoggy wrote:
I have to say this: he may be a git, but he is the bravest, smartest, funniest-when-he-wants-to-be git I've ever seen, in the real world or not.

GinnyWeaslby wrote:

dcsbelle wrote:

GinnyWeaslby wrote:

Good

Evil

He had to have been SOMEWHAT nice for Lily to like him...

New User
lunaginnysnapeneville21
0 Kudos

I think it's wonderful how everyone has been asking for so long whether Harry lives or dies, technically he does die but he lives as well! I think that is amazingly clever, even for JK Rowling who is the Queen of clever.
---------------------------------------------------
Dumbledore: "I am not scared Harry...I am with you..."
---------------------------------------------------
New User
Adellyta
0 Kudos

GinnyWeaslby wrote:

dcsbelle wrote:

GinnyWeaslby wrote:

Good

Evil

Snape was good. The reason I say this is: Throughout 7 books JK has put much emphasis on the power of the magic found in love, but none of the dark wizards could get to that power. The Malfoy's love of their son, Snape's love of Lily played huge roles in bringing the dark lord down. If Snape were evil he would not have has the capacity to love Lily. He didn't like Harry, he reminded him too much of that man who torchered him and stole his love, but he Loved Lily and cared very very much for Dumbledore as well.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Could very well be, either consciously or unconsciously. Ms. Rowling has admitted in interviews to being a Monty Python fan!

~ConnieK

clmaloyed wrote:
"I'm a witch, sir, I'm a witch, let me prove it to you!" p. 527 (American Edition).

I couldn't help but think that this is an homage to Monty Python. :smileyhappy:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Ladybuglver8115
0 Kudos

Ron "We can't order them to die for us -" I am not so sure if it is the quote or what happens because of the quote either way it bears mentioning.

Narcissa "Is Draco alive? Is he in the castle?" ... "He is dead!"

George "Now let's get upstairs and fight, or all the good Death Eaters'll be taken."

"She sent me a letter,"..."telling me she was proud of me, that I'm my parents' son, and to keep it up." nothing is better than this. Neville has been trying to make his gran proud and live up to his parents legacy since book one and now he finally has I was so happy when I read that. Long live Neville Longbottom!!!
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

About to rescue Goyle and Malfoy, Ron says:

"HARRY, IF WE DIE FOR THEM, I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!"
Frequent Contributor
tonkshermione
0 Kudos

Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia froze where they stood, staring at Dudley as though he had just expressed a desire to become a ballerina. :smileyvery-happy:

Lol, cant you imagine that!
Frequent Contributor
kpeterson32
0 Kudos

tonkshermione wrote:
Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia froze where they stood, staring at Dudley as though he had just expressed a desire to become a ballerina. :smileyvery-happy:

Lol, cant you imagine that!

Yes, that is a very good one! :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
hprocks2121
0 Kudos

i completely agree about Fred. that made me laugh.

Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. --Ferris Beuller