Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Quotes from DEATHLY HALLOWS

resaaaaaaaaa wrote:
sirius black didn't say this....this quote was said about him by albus dumbledore

Welcome, resa!

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
ciproano

laloz wrote:

Not sure if these were emntioned already. They are the quotes from the tomb stones as opposed to what people actually said....

"The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death" - on the Potters

"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" - on DD's mum and sister

I was looking for a particular quote and found this old thread (didn't find the quote I was looking for, the one about "Do those we love ever truly leave us?"...was that from DH?  I don't have a copy of the books with me at the moment).

Anyway, I wanted to tell laloz that I also love the quotes that were on the tombstones.  These are actually quotes from the Bible.  "The last enemy..." is from St. Paul's first letter to the Corinthians, 15:26.  "Where your treasure is..." is from Matthew 6:21.  I think understanding the context of the original quotes adds to the appreciation of JKR's breadth of knowledge and depth of inspiration.  Both quotes are from passages where "instructions" of a sort are being given, and in the story, the tombstones and their messages were also "instructive" to Harry; I think it was one of those examples often found in JKR where there are meanings within meanings within meanings, many layers of texture and thoughtfulness.

A Very Harry New Year to one and all!

Puffy Griffinclaw

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are far more than our abilities."
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Puffy, the quote you are looking for was in the Prisoner of Azkaban....

Dumbledore To Harry: "You think the dead we loved ever truly leave us? You think we don’t recall them more clearly than ever in times of great trouble? Your father is alive in you, Harry, and shows himself plainly when you have need of him. How else could you produce that particular Patronus? Prongs rode again last night." (PA22)

Frequent Contributor
ciproano
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

Puffy, the quote you are looking for was in the Prisoner of Azkaban....

Dumbledore To Harry: "You think the dead we loved ever truly leave us? You think we don’t recall them more clearly than ever in times of great trouble? Your father is alive in you, Harry, and shows himself plainly when you have need of him. How else could you produce that particular Patronus? Prongs rode again last night." (PA22)

Awesome, Psychee, thanks!  I did not remember the context of the quote, but how could I forget the "Prongs rode again last night" context!!!

Puffy G

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are far more than our abilities."
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

Love that one Psychee.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

Oh there are so many good ones. I like Mcgonnagal: CHARGE!

Go get em!!:womanwink: 

LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

dayrenm wrote:

Oh there are so many good ones. I like Mcgonnagal: CHARGE!

Go get em!!:womanwink: 

And the Hogwarts' desks moving when she says that--yes!  I can't wait to see that scene on screen (if they do it!).
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
BandReject
0 Kudos

I looked through like 3 pages and cant believe I didnt see this quote, its one of my favorites for some reason!

Hermione: "Merlin's Pants!"

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

BandReject wrote:

I looked through like 3 pages and cant believe I didnt see this quote, its one of my favorites for some reason!

Hermione: "Merlin's Pants!"

Welcome, BandReject--it's a funny quote, isn't it--sounds like something David Letterman would say!  :smileyvery-happy:
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
mrs_brightside
0 Kudos

I enjoy the last line (until the epilogue) the most:

"That wand's more trouble then it's worth," said Harry. "An quite honestly," he turned away from the painted portraits, thinking now only of the four-poster bed lying waiting for him in Gryffindor Tower, and wondering whether Kreacher might bring him a sandwich there, "I've had enough trouble for a lifetime."

It's very peaceful, but with a nice sense of closure.

Which brings me to my next point: Do the ending lines of the books all have the closure necessary for what happened in the book? (I'm starting a new thread, by the way)

"love is handing someone a gun, and letting it point to your head, believing that he won't pull the trigger."

oliver wood: he's a keeper :smileywink:

make love, not horcruxes.
Wordsmith
Kat-NE

I can't believe that these weren't posted yet:

"He spat at you," said Harry.

"Potter, I-- that was very--very gallant of you..." (Prof. McGonagall)

(Ron)"M-morning," he stammered to Harry as the lift set off again.

"Ron, it's me, Harry!"

"Harry, Blimey, I forgot what you looked like..."

"The little ball of light was hovering there, waiting for me, and when I came out it bobbled along a bit and I followed it behind the shed and then it ... well, it went inside me."

"Sorry?" said Harry, sure he had not heard correctly.

I love that.

Other favorites:

"IF WE DIE FOR THEM , I'LL KILL YOU, HARRY"

"Merlin's Pants"

"Not my daughter, you *itch"

Wordsmith
twilightfann
0 Kudos

I agree with Kat-NE - I love the quote "IF WE DIE FOR HIM, I'LL KILL YOU HARRY!"

I also love it when Kreacher is beating Mundungus Fletcher with the frying pan, stops and looks at Harry and says "Perhaps just one more, Master Harry, for luck?"

The persons of their world lived in an atmosphere of faint implications and pale delicacies, and the fact that he and she understood each other without a word seemed to the young man to bring them nearer than any explanation would have done.
-The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
New User
Skyskye8
0 Kudos

Its more of the subtext of an encounter between Snape and McGonagall.  Snape finds McGonagall in the corridor as Voldemort is on his way toward the castle.

Snape: "Isn't it a bit late for you to be out of bed?"

McGonagall: "I thought I heard a disturbance."

Snape: "Really? But all is calm." He looked into McGonagall's eyes." Proffessor, have you seen Harry Potter? Because if you have then I insist..."

McGonagall interupts with and attack that of which Snape shields himself from.

As Snape is still in all of this because he is hoping that Harry really is "the chosen one," I would think that he was telling McGonagall to attack so that he would have reason to leave and not be the one to stop him. Snape could probably have killed McGonagall, but they seemed so evenly matched that Voldemort would probably believe that she could have scared him off.  Snape knew he was to die and knew that it was for the best, but he kept up his act to the end.  Snape, man, I love that character.

New User
hprocks
0 Kudos

"II! There's a war going on here!"

" I know mate so it's now or never!"

LOLOLOLOLOL! OMG I made a joke with my best friend Kara in school about it! It's Just so funny! But yet, sweet. I also like the one, " I didn't know what to get you."

" You didn't have to get me anything."

" But I figured you want something to remember when you might start dating a vela along the way or something." "well I think that dating opportunities will be slim on the trip."

" There's the silver lining I was waiting for."

oh oh and don't forget the sweet," Look.. Me." so sad. **Cry** And also with snaps, the part when Harry goes in the pensive; and see's his thoughts. "Are there really odometers there, guarding the prison?" " Yes but they wouldn't arrest you you're to.. Any ways they don't arrest children."

And, " I didn't mean it it just .." What Save, Came out? You call everyone of my birth mudflows, why not me?"

New User
spewchick
0 Kudos

I quote Harry almost every night at work.

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Back reading these threads is so interesting,, Here's a beautiful one from 2007

ciproano wrote, in part, in response ....
laloz wrote, in part, about his favorites from the tombstones in Godrick's Hollow...

"The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death" - on the Potters

"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" - on DD's mum and sister

... I wanted to tell laloz that I also love the quotes that were on the tombstones.  These are actually quotes from the Bible.  "The last enemy..." is from St. Paul's first letter to the Corinthians, 15:26.  "Where your treasure is..." is from Matthew 6:21.  I think understanding the context of the original quotes adds to the appreciation of JKR's breadth of knowledge and depth of inspiration.  Both quotes are from passages where "instructions" of a sort are being given, and in the story, the tombstones and their messages were also "instructive" to Harry; I think it was one of those examples often found in JKR where there are meanings within meanings within meanings, many layers of texture and thoughtfulness.

A Very Harry New Year to one and all!

Puffy Griffinclaw

It's the depth of the Potter saga that is it's greatest treasure. 

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

There are two phrases that catch at me  One is in DH and the other is in HBP.

In Half Blood Prince, after Dumbledore falls, the Griffindor hourglass is broken and the Rubies are scattered on the stone floor.

In Deathly Hallows, where Snape passes, the Slytherin hourglass  is broken and the Emeralds are scattered on the stone floor.

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Seeing that she "lived" in the Potterverse all the years she was writing the saga, I wondered just what exactly she meant in this passage from King's Cross.  A few days ago, a friend of mine suggested I watch "Miss Potter", a movie of the life of Beatrix Potter, author of "Peter Rabbit".  She also did the artwork for the book, and Peter and Jerimia Puddleduck would "scamper around" her pages.

I think I have a different appreciation for this now.  

" 'Tell me one thing,' said Harry. 'Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?' "

Dumbledore beamed at him, and his voice sounded loud and strong in Harry's ears even though the bright mist was descending again, obscuring his figure. 
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

It's a lovely story -- I found the DVD at my local Library.  

New User
Hejdiii
0 Kudos

Omg... I've just read all the comments.. But i was so surprised that the one i love the most wasn't there!!!! It almost was, cause someone said something near that part of the book.. I love all of thoese you've posted..:smileyhappy:

My FAVOURITE is when he walks trough the woods with his family and Harry says ''stay with me'' - well i guess that's what he says, cause i read the danish one so i just translated it..!

I love that and it always amkes me cry.. even just thinking about it.. Makes me think on my dad..

And i love when they're talking at Dobby's funarel.. that hole part were Harry makes it with his hands and not by magic and saying Dobby's free.... Gosh i cried...

And also when Fred, Tonks and Lupin died i just couldn't stop... it hurts so much...

Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also3
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Welcome Hejdiii!   I love when people tell us that the translators for their particular language (in your case, Danish) did a superb job of capturing the emotion in the books. 

It's interesting that you chose the "stay with me" text while I chose the "Will it hurt?" text in the same part of the seventh book.  I think they both convey the same message-- that Harry is feeling very vulnerable and is reaching out to his parents for reassurance and strength to carry on.   I think it is the fact that they are finally really there, when he has had to cope with everything before all alone, is what brings tears to my eyes.  It's cathartic.