Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
ciproano
0 Kudos

Friday Trivia List: It is not flesh and blood but the heart which makes us fathers and sons.

Sunday is Father’s Day, so it seems a fitting theme for this week’s trivia list. There are many fathers in the HP books, and there are many more characters who are fathers “not flesh and blood” but by “heart”, as Schiller notes (in our quote).  It sometimes seems as though Harry, who grew up without a father, finds a hundred fathers in his life.

Someone once told me a father’s role is to protect, provide, govern and shield. Which character is your favorite father or father “in heart”? Were they a protector? A teacher? An advocate? A supporter?

If you had to choose one of the characters to be YOUR father, who would you choose?

Feel free to make any other comments, observations or reflections about the fathers in HP, and a Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers (in blood or heart) on our Board!

Puffy Griffinclaw

And a happy father’s day to my own dad, who was everything a dad should be and taught me by his actions the love of reading (even the escape of a Michener paperback in his lunch pail).  I am lucky to still have him (at almost 88 years old) so that I can say all the things I need to, only wish I could apparate to visit him more often than the 300 mile separation allows.

There are so many wonderful fathers and father figures to pick from in HP, it really is a story all about families.  I think one of the fathers I was most touched by was Harry himself, the brief glimpse we get of him in the DH Epilogue.  We are instantly aware of his deep love for his children, how he sees and knows and relates to each of them as an individual.  He sounds like a fun dad, but clearly sets down the rules!  I especially loved his conversation with Albus Severus as he gets on the train, how he squatted down to look into his eyes (again, both with Lily's eyes!), gave Al comfort and strength by revealing his own fears and secrets.  After reading that, I had such a sense of almost parental pride in seeing the father he had become that I wept.

Who would I pick for a father..hmmmm, a harder question.  I think any of the Weasleys would make great dads, but my own dad would be a Hufflepuff:  very hard working, loyal and kind.  Not an Ernie MacMillan, too blustery.  Probably a grown up Cedric (tall & good looking, too!).

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are far more than our abilities."
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Re: Friday Trivia List: It is not flesh and blood but the heart which makes us fathers and sons.

My choice would be Remus Lupin, in spite of his furry little problem.  Actually, perhaps because of his little problem, he is much more sensitive than he otherwise might have been.  Since his first encounter with Harry on the Hogwarts Express,  Lupin protected, shielded and assisted Harry at every turn.  He acted as a mentor, a sounding board, and, at times, spoke sternly to Harry when his reckless actions could get him into trouble (not wasting his parents' sacrifice by roaming around unprotected).  While I liked Sirius, I thought Lupin was a much better role model for Harry (in spite of his little brain fart in DH when he left Tonks) and the affection between the two culminated in Harry's being named godfather to Teddy.  

My own Dad has been dead for 26 years, and yet there still isn't a day goes by when I don't think of him. 

ciproano wrote:
Sunday is Father’s Day, so it seems a fitting theme for this week’s trivia list. There are many fathers in the HP books, and there are many more characters who are fathers “not flesh and blood” but by “heart”, as Schiller notes (in our quote).  It sometimes seems as though Harry, who grew up without a father, finds a hundred fathers in his life.

Someone once told me a father’s role is to protect, provide, govern and shield. Which character is your favorite father or father “in heart”? Were they a protector? A teacher? An advocate? A supporter?

If you had to choose one of the characters to be YOUR father, who would you choose?

Feel free to make any other comments, observations or reflections about the fathers in HP, and a Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers (in blood or heart) on our Board!

Puffy Griffinclaw

And a happy father’s day to my own dad, who was everything a dad should be and taught me by his actions the love of reading (even the escape of a Michener paperback in his lunch pail).  I am lucky to still have him (at almost 88 years old) so that I can say all the things I need to, only wish I could apparate to visit him more often than the 300 mile separation allows.

There are so many wonderful fathers and father figures to pick from in HP, it really is a story all about families.  I think one of the fathers I was most touched by was Harry himself, the brief glimpse we get of him in the DH Epilogue.  We are instantly aware of his deep love for his children, how he sees and knows and relates to each of them as an individual.  He sounds like a fun dad, but clearly sets down the rules!  I especially loved his conversation with Albus Severus as he gets on the train, how he squatted down to look into his eyes (again, both with Lily's eyes!), gave Al comfort and strength by revealing his own fears and secrets.  After reading that, I had such a sense of almost parental pride in seeing the father he had become that I wept.

Who would I pick for a father..hmmmm, a harder question.  I think any of the Weasleys would make great dads, but my own dad would be a Hufflepuff:  very hard working, loyal and kind.  Not an Ernie MacMillan, too blustery.  Probably a grown up Cedric (tall & good looking, too!).

Frequent Contributor
hihi
0 Kudos

Re: Friday Trivia List: It is not flesh and blood but the heart which makes us fathers and sons.

ciproano wrote:

Puffy Griffinclaw

A few names come up, like Dumbldore, Lupin, and Sirius. They all gave their lives to help Harry, and they acted like a father should. Harry may have grown up without a father, but I feel like others made up for it later.  Ron seems like a great dad, and I'm sure George was a also. Malfoy, I'm sure, would be an......interesting father.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

if i had a Dad, i'd choose Sirius,.
i thought he was very self sufficient, adventurous, he had a bit of a mean streak, but deep down a warm hearted, loving person who fights for what he thinks is right, and not apologize for it. and im so thankful he truly is a good person. id love to have him as a parent, he doesnt seem like the type to dictate you how to live your life. for once, id love that experience.

my father is only my father, be he's no dad of mine. that's different.
i hate coming back on such a negative note.
i missed everyone, and i salute the fathers who always loved their wife and children. =p

i'd take my hat off to you, but im afraid i cant because it's part of the whole outfit, see♥
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

At my age, I think I'd choose Hagrid as my dad.  He's like a big shaggy dog;  a constant, uncomplicated, faithful and nurturing protector.
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I'm glad someone mentioned Hagrid, for all his size, he seems to get overlooked in our discussions.  I'm not sure I would like him as a Dad (although you would probably have some very interesting pets), but I think he'd make a delightful wayward cousin :smileyhappy:

Psychee wrote:
At my age, I think I'd choose Hagrid as my dad.  He's like a big shaggy dog;  a constant, uncomplicated, faithful and nurturing protector.

Frequent Contributor
hihi
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
I'm glad someone mentioned Hagrid, for all his size, he seems to get overlooked in our discussions.  I'm not sure I would like him as a Dad (although you would probably have some very interesting pets), but I think he'd make a delightful wayward cousin :smileyhappy:

Psychee wrote:

Yes, but I'm sure Hagrid would be a WAY better father than Voldemort if he was a father.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

My own father was a very big man.  One of my most cherished memories of him was when I was small and he took me out in the ocean, over my head, to catch the bigger waves to ride in on a raft.  One wave toppled me, and I thought I was drowning.  Then a big hand snatched me up out of the water by the straps of my bathing suit, like a big Atlas god.  I was saved!  It was, of course, my dad. 

Mollywobbles wrote:

Psychee wrote:

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Welcome back MrsRW, you've been gone ever so long.  I hope you have been doing something fun and exciting :smileyhappy:

Sirius would be a good choice, my second one after Lupin. I liked the way tried to help Harry through the Tri-Wiz, and came back from his safe (warm) hiding place to be near Harry.  Obviously James and Lily thought he would be a good godparent to their son. It's too bad they had such a short and difficult time after finding each other.   

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
if i had a Dad, i'd choose Sirius,.
i thought he was very self sufficient, adventurous, he had a bit of a mean streak, but deep down a warm hearted, loving person who fights for what he thinks is right, and not apologize for it. and im so thankful he truly is a good person. id love to have him as a parent, he doesnt seem like the type to dictate you how to live your life. for once, id love that experience.

my father is only my father, be he's no dad of mine. that's different.
i hate coming back on such a negative note.
i missed everyone, and i salute the fathers who always loved their wife and children. =p

i'd take my hat off to you, but im afraid i cant because it's part of the whole outfit, see♥