Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Re: Friday Trivia List: Jail House Rock

Kreacherteacher wrote:
Thanks, Diana and Tigger. I probably could also close a few windows prior to posting. I multitask so I usually have three or four windows open.

Actually, my computer freezes with one extra window.  Of course, that could be only caused by the fact that I leave windows up for hours on end...

And MrsRW, how could anyone have forgotten or forsaken you?!?  Just don't leave us again, okay???

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy:
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Your "welcome backs" are spread over a few different threads. Mum. There are many and you must find them all and respond to each. This is your HP duty over the next few days. Perhaps we could even add this as a bonus on the Friday trivia: for all who haven't, they should post a welcome back to mrsronald. We could even call it "Where in the world are the 'welcome backs'"? You shall be a busy poster. For shame for leaving us for so long.

mrsronaldweasley wrote:

Hi guys! Yes yes yes, I have to punish myself for not being herr for sooo long. I bet you couldn’t get through the day without me. WHAT AWFUL SUFFERING WOULD ZAT BE! But now I am here to grace you all with my presence. Hem, hem.

I kreacher and Diana!my daughters, I see you have not forsaken moi.

Mollybubbles, one reason why the dementors cannot detect the difference between Barty jr. and Mrs. Crouch is because one was left dying in the cell, literally suffering—while Barty Jr was feeling euphoric because he’s finally free. We all know he’s one obsessed Death Eater. ‘Male counterpart of Bella’ I think.

So the Death Eaters felt/ sensed one weak and one energetic, happy person. The PJ I think are for the prisoners’ benefit. I remember Sirius mentioning he ‘saw’ the Crouch’s visiting their son, and the son being buried, so they must’ve had a cell with just bars on it…..did I say that right? Lol.

But poor Me and Mrs Crouch, I really pity what happened to them. =c

Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Yes, I can see Mrs. Crouch dying in spirit, she must have been worried about her only son being in Azkaban-don't we see her weeping at his trial? 

Barty Sr. must have been a pain, but I think he loved his wife.  Somewhere I seem to remember reading that he loved his wife, and ignored his son entirely.  I think he only risked the swap of his wife for his son because he did love her.  I can't see him agreeing to thwart the law for any trivial reason.

I guess the effectiveness of the Dementors really lay in people's fear of them.

Psychee wrote:

Ummm..  Perhaps Mrs. Crouch was dying in spirit as well as in body.  She must have been exceedingly depressed over her son's rejection of his family (which included her) and the effect this had on her husband as well, not to mention the fact that he must have been a really depressing husband to begin with. 

If we think of the Dementors as just soulless entities who can only sense souls of others, it makes a certain amount of sense that they couldn't tell the difference between Barty Jr and his mother at the time of exchange.  Their emotions might have seemed very similar.

But you're right... not being able to see people or keep track of them make the Dementors pretty awful guards.  They seem more like another form of prison wall, a kind that traps people into themselves in misery, as opposed to actual "guards"... and they are another form of punishment for crimes committed.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

More than that, I think.  If Dementors make a person depressed, and wizards can lose their ability to do magic if they are depressed enough, Dementors can be a powerful control device on wizards -- they would just wind up being depressed Squibs.

I think Bella must have used some kind of serious mind protection control to still be so powerful after so many years in Azkaban -- either that, or seeing Voldemort again provided her with a means to recuperate quite rapidly.

Mollywobbles wrote:

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Fair enough.  However, since Dementors can be chased away by the Patronus, and deceived by Polyjuice and by animagi, they seem to be most useful or effective on people who are already imprisoned and are presumably depressed to begin with.

Perhaps Bella's skill in Occlumency (she taught Draco) helped her ward off the effects of the Dementors. Perhaps that skill let her close out her supposedly happy memories giving the Dementors nothing to feed on.  Does that work?

Psychee wrote:

More than that, I think.  If Dementors make a person depressed, and wizards can lose their ability to do magic if they are depressed enough, Dementors can be a powerful control device on wizards -- they would just wind up being depressed Squibs.

I think Bella must have used some kind of serious mind protection control to still be so powerful after so many years in Azkaban -- either that, or seeing Voldemort again provided her with a means to recuperate quite rapidly.

Mollywobbles wrote:

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Yes, I was thinking the same thing about Bella using mind skills related to Occlumency to keep her mind intact.  

If Snape had told Harry that that would work against Dementors he might tried harder to master the skill!

Mollywobbles wrote:

Perhaps Bella's skill in Occlumency (she taught Draco) helped her ward off the effects of the Dementors. Perhaps that skill let her close out her supposedly happy memories giving the Dementors nothing to feed on.  Does that work?

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Nah!  I think Harry liked his stag Patronus too much-he'd never choose to fend off a Dementor using Occlumency rather than conjuring his Patronus:smileywink:  Still, it might have come in handy if he didn't have his wand close by-might have at least bought him some time to find his wand.

Psychee wrote:

Yes, I was thinking the same thing about Bella using mind skills related to Occlumency to keep her mind intact.  

If Snape had told Harry that that would work against Dementors he might tried harder to master the skill!

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

True, but in DH, the Dementors zapped him before he could get his Patronus out and Luna et al had to help him regain his mojo, remember?  If he had had Bella-type mental defenses, he would always be able to produce his Patronus when the dementors got close.

Come to think of it, maybe that is what Snape had been trying to teach the kids as his way of fighting Dementors.  We never did find that out...

Mollywobbles wrote:

Nah!  I think Harry liked his stag Patronus too much-he'd never choose to fend off a Dementor using Occlumency rather than conjuring his Patronus:smileywink:  Still, it might have come in handy if he didn't have his wand close by-might have at least bought him some time to find his wand.

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

And he had dropped his wand when the Dementors caught up to him in Little whinging.  I didn't think that mental defenses such as those required in Occlumency, would help him produce a Patronus.  Or do you just mean that learning some mental discipline would help him concentrate on his happy memory and thereby enable him to do the ordinary Patronus charm more quickly and successfully? I do agree with that, and if Snape had explained it that way, Harry might have taken more interest in Occlumency (possibly, but I'm still convinced that Harry wasn't really interested in anything Snape had to say at that point.)

You're right, we never did learn why Snape disagreed with Harry on the best way to deal with Dementors.  Maybe he was thinking that Occlumency was a different way of dealing with them.  However, it seems to me that while Occlumency might put up mental defences to a Dementor, it couldn't chase them away like a corporeal patronus could.  A Dementor might just continue to hover around trying to break through your mental defences, rather than being charged down by a Patronus, so wouldn't you have to concentrate longer with Occlumency?

Psychee wrote:

True, but in DH, the Dementors zapped him before he could get his Patronus out and Luna et al had to help him regain his mojo, remember?  If he had had Bella-type mental defenses, he would always be able to produce his Patronus when the dementors got close.

Come to think of it, maybe that is what Snape had been trying to teach the kids as his way of fighting Dementors.  We never did find that out...

Mollywobbles wrote:

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Yes, I think the Occlumency would only work as a temporary block of the Dementors' "happy thought removal", allowing the person a bit more time to either get out a Patronus or else run away. 

Harry disagreed with whatever Snape was trying to teach the kids as a Dementor block and I think you've hit on the reason he thought the Patronus was better.  But Snape did not believe that the kids could produce a Patronus at that age and perhaps this was the best defense he thought they were capable of?

I think it would be impossible to learn how to conjure a Patronus from Snape, anyway.  Could you imagine him demanding that they think happy thoughts?  lol!

Mollywobbles wrote:

And he had dropped his wand when the Dementors caught up to him in Little whinging.  I didn't think that mental defenses such as those required in Occlumency, would help him produce a Patronus.  Or do you just mean that learning some mental discipline would help him concentrate on his happy memory and thereby enable him to do the ordinary Patronus charm more quickly and successfully? I do agree with that, and if Snape had explained it that way, Harry might have taken more interest in Occlumency (possibly, but I'm still convinced that Harry wasn't really interested in anything Snape had to say at that point.)

You're right, we never did learn why Snape disagreed with Harry on the best way to deal with Dementors.  Maybe he was thinking that Occlumency was a different way of dealing with them.  However, it seems to me that while Occlumency might put up mental defences to a Dementor, it couldn't chase them away like a corporeal patronus could.  A Dementor might just continue to hover around trying to break through your mental defences, rather than being charged down by a Patronus, so wouldn't you have to concentrate longer with Occlumency?

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
Um, Connie, any help at your end for the slow loading after the changes?

I'm not experiencing that, Mollywobbles.  Is it still happening at your end?

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Yes, several people have mentioned that it has been slow since the new changes.  Remember, though, that I have dial up, and anything new that scrolls, has colours etc. slows things down.  TiggerBear is helping me do some cleanup on my computer, though, and I think things are improving. 

ConnieK wrote:

Mollywobbles wrote:

~ConnieK

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Ok.  Well, I'll chalk it up to dial-up slowness unless you tell me differently, Molly.  I can always report technical snafus to the folks out back running the cables and switches.  It does sound like any enhancements will naturally slow dial-up users' abilities.  I had dial-up myself until just last year sometime, so I completely understand!

~ConnieK

Mollywobbles wrote:

Yes, several people have mentioned that it has been slow since the new changes.  Remember, though, that I have dial up, and anything new that scrolls, has colours etc. slows things down.  TiggerBear is helping me do some cleanup on my computer, though, and I think things are improving. 

ConnieK wrote:

Mollywobbles wrote:

~ConnieK

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

You know who I think is in a ‘prison?' Lupin.

Who agrees and why?

o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o