Inspired Contributor
LittleDiva
0 Kudos

Harry Potter Menu...

[ Edited ]

I searched it on Bing, and found one of the coolest things!!!! They had a Harry Potter Halloween Menu!!!!

I thought I would give you one, and if ya'll found some, or made them up... We could swap recipes!

Do you remember when...

Prisoner of Azkaban:

Trewaly was telling people about her 'All Knowing' ability. It was here that McGonagall stuck a large spoon that was there in front of her, into the nearest bowl, and asked "Tripe Sibyll?"

Well here is that FAMOUS Recipe we've all been dying to know about.

Ingredients:
1/2 pound tripe
12 cups water
6 ounces ham diced
2 medium carrots thinly sliced
2 stalks celery halved and diced
3 cloves garlic crushed
1 dash pepper (to taste)
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1 dash ginger
1 dash salt (to taste)
1 teaspoon dried parsley
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped fresh chives

Instructions:
Make sure tripe is thoroughly washed in cold water. Place tripe in large soup pot and cover with water. Simmer for about 1 hour (until tripe becomes tender). Remove tripe and put in ice water to cool. Discard cooked water. Cut tripe into small strips resembling noodles.

Meanwhile, add 12 cups water to soup pot on high heat, along with the vegetables and spices (hold back on the ham, flour, butter and chives). Toss in the tripe as it is cut to pieces. When this comes to a boil, reduce to low heat and allow to cook until vegetables are tender.

In a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and stir until flour is completely moistened. Remove from heat and add mixture to soup pot along with the diced ham. Just before serving shake out the chives into the soup, stirring them in. Place soup in toureen and serve with a huge ladle and a wave of your magic wand.

~~~~Remember~~~~ This Is Not MY Recipe!!!! I found this on a different website!!!!

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Re: Harry Potter Menu...

Ermm. LD, do you know what "tripe" is?  It's the lining of one of a cow's stomachs.  And it looks really weird!  Never tasted it, but  my mother used to fix it for my grandfather.  He loved it, bit I never tasted it.  From all the ingredients in it, you can see the cook is really trying to get some flavor into it, berhaps enuf the kill the taste!!  (Big hint to the latter -- you discard the water it is first cooked it -- that "stock" usually has the richest/strongest flavor.)  LoL

But This is another great idea.  Let me see if I can find a recipe for treacle tart.

Laters............

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

One of the reasons why stomach is not on the typical American menu, is the length of time it takes to clean, soak, and cook it. Mixed with the yuck factor.

No worse than kidney, milder than liver in taste. But way too chewy if not cooked long enough.

BTW if you eat Dim Sum dumplings good chance you have already eaten it.

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well, I've had Dim Sum, so perhaps I have tasted tripe. 

Here's a recipe I found for Harry's Favorite. Treacle Tart.   It's from a site where "the last person on earth who has not read Harry Potter" lives.  LoL  Hope that condition has been remidied..  http://crookedtimber.org/2007/03/30/recipe-corner-treacle-tart/  and it certainly certainly sounds authentic. 

Apparently true authenticity depends upon using "golden syrup", a certain kind of English syrup, which they tell you how to obtain.  I checked Amazon.com and it is there.  There's also a "whole Foods" near me, so if the roads are passable, I'll see if I can find some there.  If so. I'll try the recipe and let you know. 

Recipe Corner: Treacle Tart

by Harry on March 30, 2007

Today’s recipe is Treacle Tart. Treacle Tart is completely familiar to our British readers, but unheard of by most of our US readers (and I don’t know about the rest of you). If you have a Whole Foods near you you can find Golden Syrup in the syrup section, or, amazingly and very cheaply, at amazon. (It’s also great on pancakes or, if you don’t care what the neighbours think, and I don’t, on toast).

Update: Of course, all our American readers have heard of treacle tart, I apologise. As the last person left in the world who has not read Harry Potter, I didn’t realise that treacle tart had become world famous. This is it, and golden syrup is the key. Now American CT readers can delight their children. Serve with heavy whipping cream, unwhipped. Or, if you dare, Bird’s Custard.

First, make enough pastry for a tart base in a 10 inch pan, plus a little more. Make the base, and bake it for about ten minutes at 325.

The filling uses the following ingredients:

9tbsp golden syrup
9tbsp fresh white breadcrumbs
juice of 1 lemon
(pinch of ground ginger is wanted)

Mix the filling ingredients together in a pot on a low heat. When it is well mixed, pour into the tart shell. With the remaining pastry make a lattice over the top. Bake at 375 (this time on a baking tray) for about 20 minutes.

There’s a huge variety of recommendations for the ratio of breadcrumbs to syrup. Some use much more syrup, others much more breadcrumbs. I prefer a roughly equal ratio. The lemon really cuts the sweetness nicely. Do not use Corn Syrup (tasteless, so a waste of effort) or Treacle (basically molasses, makes for too harsh a taste, though it can be nice to replace just one tablespoon of syrup with treacle). I’ve never tried to use maple syrup (it might be great but I tend to find maple syrup a bit too sweet).

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Update on the Golden Syrup for Treacle Tart.  Whole Foods may not carry it, at least the one in my neighborhood doesn't.  But I have found that Treasure Island stores do, at least the one nearest me does. 

Going on quests is so difficult without magic.  I could just Floo there, or apparate  (too wintery to fly), or maybe even Accio! or send my patronus.  But no, I've gotta drive.

Anyone know where/how Mead can be found/made?

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

You can order Golden Syrup from here

http://www.englishteastore.com/golden-syrup.html

Mead is easy to make. But the recipe takes a few months. If you want it and you are an adult, I'll give it to you. One used to be able to order Mead from Trader Joe's, worth a check.

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

I have succeeded in my quest for Golden Syrup.  (If anyone cares LOL  That's the trouble about quests -- most people think you are nutz, but...is guess there's a little Luna, and some Sir Cadogan, in me.)  Had to slog truu 4" of "snow flurries" to do it, but that's life here near the windy City.

I'ts a heavy cane sugar syrup ( only ingredient) that is a dark amber colour.   I does have more flavour than Kayro syrup -- corn syrup, and is a much milder than even light molasses.  And not much like honey except in thickness.  Quite good, actually, but it seems to make one speak as Ronald Colman speaks.  Will be giving it a go and reporting back.  I know you'll be on pins and needles waiting, but just concentrate on Christmas being so close and the time will fly. 

Yes TiggerBear. I am over 21, (giggle gigggle, it's been soooo long since anyone asked.)  Do you want to post the recipe on that messaging system here on the boards?  Thanks

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Jules934 wrote:

I have succeeded in my quest for Golden Syrup.  (If anyone cares LOL  That's the trouble about quests -- most people think you are nutz, but...is guess there's a little Luna, and some Sir Cadogan, in me.)  Had to slog truu 4" of "snow flurries" to do it, but that's life here near the windy City.

I'ts a heavy cane sugar syrup ( only ingredient) that is a dark amber colour.   I does have more flavour than Kayro syrup -- corn syrup, and is a much milder than even light molasses.  And not much like honey except in thickness.  Quite good, actually, but it seems to make one speak as Ronald Colman speaks.  Will be giving it a go and reporting back.  I know you'll be on pins and needles waiting, but just concentrate on Christmas being so close and the time will fly. 

Yes TiggerBear. I am over 21, (giggle gigggle, it's been soooo long since anyone asked.)  Do you want to post the recipe on that messaging system here on the boards?  Thanks

Ok will do.

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Got it -- thanks again.

New User
l-a-u-g-h-t-e-r
0 Kudos

hmm... interesting! i'll have to try it before I dog it! (: thanks for the cool recipie!  i can't believe you finally found it!!!(;

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

To tell you the truth it wasn't all that great.  It was totally sweet with a bit of lemon.  That recipe called for a little bit of ginger too.  If I were to make it again, I'd cut the lemon in half and add about a Tablespoon of grated ginger root.  That might help, but it still would be sooooooo sweet. 

But it was worth the excitement of a "Quest".

If that's Harry's favorite dessert, the poor kid is "dessert challenged".

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Umm well English deserts in general could well..... let's just say use a bit more exploration. I mean being in Europe after all you think they at least try a Belgian technique or a French or German.... (chuckle) you know what I mean. :smileytongue:

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well, don't want to cause an international incident, but the Brits are not famed for their cuisine (love them anyway).  The Hogwarts menu shows that -- "pork chops"  for the Twi-Wizard Ball (love them, but more homey than elegant)????  Heard a theory that anything the French (love them too) do , the Brits don't, and/or vice versa....

Brits prounce every letter in every word      French run them together and drop final consonnents.

Brits drive on the left.                                  French drive on the right

Brits drink beer, ale and stout                     French drink wine

and several more I won't go into.

:smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: