Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15

Harry Potter, now on NOOK!

The adventures of the beloved wizard and his friends are now available for reading on NOOK!  The product links on our pages will take you to the Pottermore Shop site.  Once the books are purchased through Pottermore you will have an opportunity to link your Barnes and Noble account with your Pottermore account - the ebooks will be "sent" to your NOOK account.  Just like magic!

I made my purchase this morning and I can tell you that it is quite easy to use.  I purchased all 7 ebooks as a bundle (saves a little money) and now they're on my NOOK.  Be sure to read the Terms and Conditions document carefully, as with any other purchase. 

Happy Reading!! :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Re: Harry Potter, now on NOOK!

Is the omnibus edition one (huge) file or is it 7 separate files?

Just curious, since I'm probably going to 1-by-1 them anyway.

RHWright

And am I the only one who see the inherent contradiction in these parts of the TOS:

"12.1 When you buy a downloadable book from us, what you are buying is the right to use that book in the way we explain below for your own personal, non-commercial use only:

You may download one (1) copy of each book you purchase for storage and use"

"You may not and may not permit others to do any of the following things in relation to any book or extract:

§ print-on-demand or copy or burn the book or extract to a device whose principal function is to act as a storage device, for example, a CD/DVD or USB stick;"

So, you can download the book you purchase for storage, but not on a storage device?

I know. They mean you can store it on your reading device (whatever it may be), but not put a copy on a non-reading device. So just so we're clear: they're saying you cannot make a back-up copy for your own protection against device loss or failure.

Guess what? I guarantee this will be violated intentionally or unintentionally by almost every user.

Heck, since they will put a copy in my B&N Library for my convenience, doesn't that copy technically violate the TOS? My NOOK is not the direct storage medium that my reader accesses, so it would seem to be non-compliant.

What about that valid copy on your computer that is backed up automatically to "the cloud" with your other files? Some people could easily unintentionally violate the TOS.

No back-up copy? Please, Pottermore. That's just dumb and naive. No sane person will abide by it.

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

The books are listed individually in the Pottermore account - I guess this is more like a "box set" version (7 separate files) than an "omnibus" (all books stuck into a single file).

RHWright wrote:

Is the omnibus edition one (huge) file or is it 7 separate files?

Just curious, since I'm probably going to 1-by-1 them anyway.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Contributor
FrenchGirl
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Quite disappointed for now...

We can only get the US versions of the ebooks due to copyright laws.

It quite upsets me because we have the UK & French versions at home, on the shelves and we would have liked having the ebooks in these versions

New User
Anon-E-Mouse
0 Kudos

Okay, I'm dying to know - how does the UK version differ from the American version, and would you recommend it over the Americanr?

On another note- the 'box set' for the Nook looks like a decent price. I think I'll pick it up soon.

Frequent Contributor
wisdombunny
0 Kudos

First time I have hear now that they are different... how ?

RHWright
0 Kudos

Other than the title on the first one, it's mainly changing some terms thought to be too "British" for American readers.

For example: http://www.hp-lexicon.org/about/books/ps/differences-ps.html

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Certain idioms and analogies were changed in the few books in the series.  For example, in the UK Hermione says (sarcatically) that she would "pop [her] clogs" if a scary character came for her, but in the US version it just says she'd fall over dead.  Not quite as interesting.

There is an excellent essay or two on this subject in the book The Ivory Tower and Harry Potter edited by Lana Whited.

Melissa W.