Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Harry & Oscar

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince has been nominated for 1 Oscar.  I write about it here.

What do you think about the questions I ask in the article?  Is there an "evil spell" cast on these movies that keeps Oscar away?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Re: Harry & Oscar

Award shows for me are a guilty pleasure. I enjoy watching the Oscars, but I give no creedence to the show for its awarding of talent. There so much political stuff going on and campaigning for the movies that it's just a big popularity contest. In addition, they typically do not award shows that cater to a mostly young teenage demographic. It also seems like movies that rake in the most money aren't usually awarded either. This year is an exception with Avatar and Blind SIde. Over the years, the Academy has given more clout to indie-type films.

I usually hate the Academy's choice. They are usually very violent with murderous plots. I also hate the scenes actresses choose for themselves because they overvalue crying. As a female, I am disgusted by this.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

I think the movies receive no Oscars for two reasons --

1.  Although they have gotten some nominations for some technical things, at the time they got these nominations, there was always a competing film that did that thing somewhat better.  I am guessing that this year's category will probably go to Avatar for that same reason.

2.  The movies just are not that good.  

-The best actors in the films only have very small scenes.  Those actors who are in front of the camera more often, with the most dramatic scenes, simply aren't that good to get Oscars for their performances.  I don't think those roles have been very challenging.

- The last two movies have been quite bad in terms of script, direction, lack of transitioning, lighting and sound.

But I agree with kreacherteacher about what kinds of movies generally get the best recognition from the Oscar folks --  I think they generally prefer emotionally "disturbing" stuff unless it is a break out high grossing film like Avatar. 

I was happy to see that Star Trek got four technical-type Oscar nominations -- Makeup, Sound Direction, Sound editing, and Visual Effects.  Star Trek was a much better film.

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Connie, that link isn't working for me.  Could you post the actual site URL?  Thanks Luv.

ConnieK wrote:

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince has been nominated for 1 Oscar.  I write about it here.

What do you think about the questions I ask in the article?  Is there an "evil spell" cast on these movies that keeps Oscar away?

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Jules934 wrote:

Connie, that link isn't working for me.  Could you post the actual site URL?  Thanks Luv.

ConnieK wrote:

Oh, sorry, Jules.  Certainly:

http://www.examiner.com/x-11613-Books-on-Film-Examiner~y2010m2d2-Harry-Potter-and-the-HalfBlood-Prin...

Thanks for your interest!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
New User
JonLock
0 Kudos

thanks for the share
Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Yes, thanks.  Been spending too much time working on Psychee's 20 Q's .  I do hope for the best, but up against Avatar~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

1.  Although they have gotten some nominations for some technical things, at the time they got these nominations, there was always a competing film that did that thing somewhat better.  I am guessing that this year's category will probably go to Avatar for that same reason.

I'm sorry to say it, but I guessed correctly on that one!

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

(shrug) What did you expect? The acadamy is notorious for snubbing anything they consider a sequil. Remeber LOR lots of award noms for 1, less and less for the other 2. HP had it's best chance movie 1, and is going to get the shaft for the rest.

But hey Star Trek did win best makeup, pleasent surprise. And it's only nomination, much better film than Avatar.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

We had a bit of drama up here with ABC shutting off its feed to Cablevision all day.  Lots of arguments about money, but they finally switched it back on 15 minutes after the Oscars began.  For awhile there, we thought we weren't going to be able to see it on TV.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

We had a bit of drama up here with ABC shutting off its feed to Cablevision all day.  Lots of arguments about money, but they finally switched it back on 15 minutes after the Oscars began.  For awhile there, we thought we weren't going to be able to see it on TV.

Well that sucks, holding the Oscars hostage!

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Yes, it does.  But I guess it made Radio Shack happy -- a whole lot of people went out to purchase digital converters for use with antennas today, hoping to catch the show the old-fashioned way.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

Psychee wrote:

I'm sorry to say it, but I guessed correctly on that one!

So did I.  I thought AVATAR would get most of the technical and special effects awards.  I also didn't think HBP would win anything.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TiggerBear wrote:

(shrug) What did you expect? The acadamy is notorious for snubbing anything they consider a sequil. Remeber LOR lots of award noms for 1, less and less for the other 2. HP had it's best chance movie 1, and is going to get the shaft for the rest.

Most sequels usually mark a step down in quality (not to mention originality), which is why there tend to be diminishing nominations for sequels. Lord of the Rings was certainly an exception, and in general, the Harry Potter films have been as well. If the Academy were that dead-set against sequels, Return of the King would never have won Best Picture, nor would The Godfather, Part II. But a little hyperbole goes a long way. :smileywink:

As far as LOTR goes, just to set the record straight, Fellowship won four of the 13 Oscars for which it was nominated; Two Towers won two of its six nominations, and Return of the King won all 11. The 11 Oscars for Return were largely viewed as being bestowed upon the entire trilogy.

Much as I like the Harry Potter films, they really aren't deserving of Oscars outside of the technical categories. They're decent films, and they've certainly gotten better as Radcliffe, Grint, and Watson matured into better actors, but there's no acting in any of these films that stands out as a great performance worthy of a gold statuette.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

I agree wholeheartedly, JL_Garner.

The acting in LOTR was good enough to move me to tears toward the end of the saga, but thus far, no tragedy in the HP films has evoked such a reaction.

Perhaps the very last installment will have enough in the way of tragedy to inspire some terrific acting?   Hope springs eternal!

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

Perhaps the very last installment will have enough in the way of tragedy to inspire some terrific acting?   Hope springs eternal!

Whether or not he gets any acting nominations, I'm dying to see Radcliffe perform Chapter 34: "The Forest Again." It was quite possibly the single best chapter in the entire series.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Yes, I'm looking forward to that,too, but not as much as I'm looking forward to Julie Walters aka Molly Weasley saying "Not my daughter, you b*tch!"   After seeing her shake her booty in Mama Mia!, I'm convinved she is going to go hog wild in that dueling scene!

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

JL_Garner wrote:

Whether or not he gets any acting nominations, I'm dying to see Radcliffe perform Chapter 34: "The Forest Again." It was quite possibly the single best chapter in the entire series.

I'm looking forward to this scene, too.  I hope they set it up the way it deserves, but I'm thinking they will.  They know how important it is to the entire series.  I'm eager to see Alan Rickman perform that scene.  I already know, though, that I'll probably be a mess watching it the first time so I'll have to see it again - ha!  :smileysad:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Add my vote for that one.  I hope it's as good as in CoS, where Dobby bounced Luscious Lucius Malfoy on his baroque butt.

As far as acting goes, I do have to agree, but I think the David Thewlis has done a wonderful portrayal of Lupin.  Especially the PoA scene where Harry is screaming in an agony of grief after Sirius' fall and Lupin is struggling to holding the boy back, while Lupin himself is suffering his own unbelievable agony for Sirius' loss.

Plus credit to David Yates for playing that scene with only John Williams' score and no dialog.

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

I am hoping beyond hope that they add the humorous scenes to DH. I really want to see Kreacher hit Mundungus with the copper pot. No, I need to see this.

I also hope they give generous screen time to Fred and George. They have some of the best jokes. My faves:

When Auntie Muriel tells George (sans ear) that his ears are lopsided.

When Fred and George are broadcasting on the radio.

Classic scenes!