Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
PageTurner12
0 Kudos

Harry and Voldemort related?

I think that Harry and Voldemort were related, but I'm not sure.

From Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows it says, I quote:

"Marvolo Gaunt said he was descended from the Peverells!"
-Harry Potter in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, page 428

Voldemort's grandfather was Marvolo Gaunt.

Plus Harry is descended from the Peverells, the Invisibilty Cloak was passed down to him.

So wouldn't that make Harry and Voldemort really distantly related?
~I'm with Bellatrix~
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Re: Harry and Voldemort related?

You're right Page, we're pretty sure Voldemort and Harry are related via the Peverell and Gaunt lines, with Voldemort having a dash of Slytherin thrown into the mix for good measure.

PageTurner12 wrote:
I think that Harry and Voldemort were related, but I'm not sure.

From Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows it says, I quote:

"Marvolo Gaunt said he was descended from the Peverells!"
-Harry Potter in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, page 428

Voldemort's grandfather was Marvolo Gaunt.

Plus Harry is descended from the Peverells, the Invisibilty Cloak was passed down to him.

So wouldn't that make Harry and Voldemort really distantly related?

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

The good thing is JKR didn’t make it such a big deal as wizards descending from a pureblood clan are all interrelated! :smileysurprised: HP and Voldy did have things in common, but they
Are absolutely different when it comes to using their powers. And tahts what makes HP my hero!
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Contributor
marla16
0 Kudos

Yes they are related. It is mention in the book that both of the descended from two different family branches. They are cousins, I think.
Frequent Contributor
hprocks2121
0 Kudos

Also, its like half bloods are interelated like purebloods.only 2, though.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. --Ferris Beuller
Frequent Contributor
Kate_b
0 Kudos

I see your point but if that's true why didn't voldamort  get it? I think if they are relate dit's though maraggie (lol not harry and voldy)
A verey merry un-birthday to you and you. and you is it your un -birthday too?
Frequent Contributor
BookFan21
0 Kudos

u may be right rember when he could have bin a slytherin? maybe thats because of voldy? or r we over thinking things i mean itz just a book right?
"May your swords stay sharp"
-Christopher Paolini
Eragon & Eldest

"No, Draco." Dumbledore said quietly, "It is my mercy, not yours, that matters now."
New User
dumbledore1998
0 Kudos

of course thy are related because they share the same prophecy and marvalo gaunt is voldemorts grandfather and voldemort and harry are related.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dan21

I would say very, very, very distantly. Sirius said in OotP that all pure blooded wizards are related sometimes distantly. Harry's father was pure blood and so was Voldy's mother, so yes, I would say they are related.

Wordsmith
Sheripie55

Yes they are definitly distantly related. I visited another Harry Potter website where J.K Rowling answered some questions. One of them was if Harry and Voldemort were related, and the answer is yes.

don't look back, there is a reason why your past is the past. so if someone didn't make it into your future. that just means that you will find someone better.
dobys_girl_55
0 Kudos

Haha, well there is the answer to our question I suppose.

You gotta hurt in order to know, fall in order to grow, lose in order to gain, because most of lifes lessons are learned because of pain
New User
the_kats_nook
0 Kudos

Harry descended from 3rd Peverell brother (hence the invisibility cloak) & Voldemort from the 2nd Peverell brother ( hence the resurrection stone that Gaunts made into a ring) - so yes, they trace back to the same family tree
Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Interesting!  What was the source for that?

Voldy being related to the "resurrection-stone brother" also accounts for his death-fear. 

Was there anything about who was related to the "wand-brother"? 

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

I doubt it. The story never said anything about that brother being married when he made the wand, and he was killed the same night that he gained possession of it. I doubt he had any descendants.

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
dobys_girl_55

very true.  the wands ownership changes too quickly most of the time for it to have reached any decsendants.  but it could be possible.  perhaps the first brother had children before he aquired the wand.

You gotta hurt in order to know, fall in order to grow, lose in order to gain, because most of lifes lessons are learned because of pain