Reply
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Harry on Film

FYI: Discussion from the "Harry on Film" board will be moved to this board beginning Wednesday, 8/15/07. For those interested, you may begin posting on this subject in this thread beginning now.

EnJOY!

~ConnieK
~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Reader 2
Dice
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎08-08-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Harry on Film

I am very curious to see whether I am the only one feeling this way, but were any of you bothered by the visual change to the look of Hogwarts between the beginning and the third. The grounds and the whomping willow were so different that it was sort of a turnoff for me with the third movie (which i was rather excited to finally see on film). Maybe I'm nuts, but then again this is the place to ask this sort of a question.
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
Posts: 3,319
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Harry on Film

It doesnt bother me that much, but I liked it better in the first movie. Then again, I have problems with the DANGED SCRIPT! Not so much the settings. However, I just keep wondering why they rebuild the set for every movie?! Its wasting time HP movie making-people...the kids are growing, could we leave the setting similar and work on the actual script and mumbling?! : )



Dice wrote:
I am very curious to see whether I am the only one feeling this way, but were any of you bothered by the visual change to the look of Hogwarts between the beginning and the third. The grounds and the whomping willow were so different that it was sort of a turnoff for me with the third movie (which i was rather excited to finally see on film). Maybe I'm nuts, but then again this is the place to ask this sort of a question.


Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
Posts: 1,234
Registered: ‎07-24-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Harry on Film

Are you calling us nuts? If so, well said.

I can't say I noticed a difference, but then again I wasn't looking. However, when you have different directors maybe that's one of the things that happens. I think it may have been changed due to the tone of the movie needing to be darker. Interesting question though.



Dice wrote:
I am very curious to see whether I am the only one feeling this way, but were any of you bothered by the visual change to the look of Hogwarts between the beginning and the third. The grounds and the whomping willow were so different that it was sort of a turnoff for me with the third movie (which i was rather excited to finally see on film). Maybe I'm nuts, but then again this is the place to ask this sort of a question.


Frequent Contributor
Half-Blood_Canadian
Posts: 118
Registered: ‎06-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Harry on Film

i actually much preferred the school grounds in the third movie...it had alot more depth and just looked alot more...well...magical. The hogwarts of the first two years was very flat and boring. for example, in 1 &2 Hagrids hut is about 20 steps away from the school, but in the later movies, it's at the bottom of a hill...much cooler.



Dice wrote:
I am very curious to see whether I am the only one feeling this way, but were any of you bothered by the visual change to the look of Hogwarts between the beginning and the third. The grounds and the whomping willow were so different that it was sort of a turnoff for me with the third movie (which i was rather excited to finally see on film). Maybe I'm nuts, but then again this is the place to ask this sort of a question.


Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
Posts: 1,041
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Harry on Film

I remember reading that JKR said the third movie had the grounds much like she pictured them and is appararently more like the real Scottish landscape.

Half-Blood_Canadian wrote:
i actually much preferred the school grounds in the third movie...it had alot more depth and just looked alot more...well...magical. The hogwarts of the first two years was very flat and boring. for example, in 1 &2 Hagrids hut is about 20 steps away from the school, but in the later movies, it's at the bottom of a hill...much cooler.



Dice wrote:
I am very curious to see whether I am the only one feeling this way, but were any of you bothered by the visual change to the look of Hogwarts between the beginning and the third. The grounds and the whomping willow were so different that it was sort of a turnoff for me with the third movie (which i was rather excited to finally see on film). Maybe I'm nuts, but then again this is the place to ask this sort of a question.





Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
BnBookworm
Posts: 93
Registered: ‎06-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Harry on Film

Patty, I agree completely.
Ninety percent of who you are is invisible
Imagination...is a form of seeing
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
Posts: 3,319
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Harry on Film

I'm expecting Harry Potter the play to show up on Broadway or in London one of these days.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Harry on Film

I've thought that for some time, too, Patty. And the ice show a few years after that! :smileywink:

~ConnieK



PattyBNUChick wrote:
I'm expecting Harry Potter the play to show up on Broadway or in London one of these days.


~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
Posts: 3,319
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Harry on Film

Oh that's FRIGHTENING lol.


ConnieK wrote:
I've thought that for some time, too, Patty. And the ice show a few years after that! :smileywink:

~ConnieK



PattyBNUChick wrote:
I'm expecting Harry Potter the play to show up on Broadway or in London one of these days.





Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Harry on Film

Now, wouldn't you pay good money to see "Harry On Ice?" Take the kids. :smileyvery-happy:

~ConnieK



PattyBNUChick wrote:
Oh that's FRIGHTENING lol.


ConnieK wrote:
I've thought that for some time, too, Patty. And the ice show a few years after that! :smileywink:

~ConnieK



PattyBNUChick wrote:
I'm expecting Harry Potter the play to show up on Broadway or in London one of these days.








~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
Posts: 3,319
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Harry on Film

Well, first off, an ice rink would NOT be the kind of place my cats (my childrens) would enjoy as they like heat, heat and more heat : ) Secondly, I wouldn't go if YOU paid ME lol.



ConnieK wrote:
Now, wouldn't you pay good money to see "Harry On Ice?" Take the kids. :smileyvery-happy:

~ConnieK



PattyBNUChick wrote:
Oh that's FRIGHTENING lol.


ConnieK wrote:
I've thought that for some time, too, Patty. And the ice show a few years after that! :smileywink:

~ConnieK



PattyBNUChick wrote:
I'm expecting Harry Potter the play to show up on Broadway or in London one of these days.











Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
Posts: 1,041
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Harry on Film

Not even to see Snape perform a triple Salchow?

PattyBNUChick wrote:
Well, first off, an ice rink would NOT be the kind of place my cats (my childrens) would enjoy as they like heat, heat and more heat : ) Secondly, I wouldn't go if YOU paid ME lol.



ConnieK wrote:
Now, wouldn't you pay good money to see "Harry On Ice?" Take the kids. :smileyvery-happy:

~ConnieK



PattyBNUChick wrote:
Oh that's FRIGHTENING lol.


ConnieK wrote:
I've thought that for some time, too, Patty. And the ice show a few years after that! :smileywink:

~ConnieK



PattyBNUChick wrote:
I'm expecting Harry Potter the play to show up on Broadway or in London one of these days.














Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
Posts: 3,319
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Harry on Film

lol. Not even that. I'm going to have enough trouble with some of the 'disneyish' things at the theme park, I just can't punish myself that much to grind my teeth through an ice show : ) I imagine the theme park may have a Filch exhibit : ) Wow, can you imagine the merchandise that will sell at that place. I'm really surprised someone hasn't built a scaled down version of Diagon Alley in their backyard yet or redone their house into Hogwarts castle. Maybe someday on the travel channel on that one program where they have all the odd houses, that we'll see a mini-Hogwarts : )



dcsbelle wrote:
Not even to see Snape perform a triple Salchow?

PattyBNUChick wrote:
Well, first off, an ice rink would NOT be the kind of place my cats (my childrens) would enjoy as they like heat, heat and more heat : ) Secondly, I wouldn't go if YOU paid ME lol.



ConnieK wrote:
Now, wouldn't you pay good money to see "Harry On Ice?" Take the kids. :smileyvery-happy:

~ConnieK



PattyBNUChick wrote:
Oh that's FRIGHTENING lol.


ConnieK wrote:
I've thought that for some time, too, Patty. And the ice show a few years after that! :smileywink:

~ConnieK



PattyBNUChick wrote:
I'm expecting Harry Potter the play to show up on Broadway or in London one of these days.

















Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
Posts: 1,234
Registered: ‎07-24-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Harry on Film

[ Edited ]
Oh, heck yeah! I am so there. Any "accio..." scenes would be well worth it. How the heck would they catch anything?! Hehe!

We could cast Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding in some meaty roles. Alright, so that was uncalled for. I digress.

Oops, one last thing...Quidditch on Ice would be the best! :-P



ConnieK wrote:
Now, wouldn't you pay good money to see "Harry On Ice?" Take the kids. :smileyvery-happy:>



Message Edited by Kreacherteacher on 08-15-2007 03:00 PM
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
Posts: 1,041
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Harry on Film

Bella and Cissy?

Kreacherteacher wrote:
We could cast Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding in some meaty roles. Alright, so that was uncalled for. I digress.

Oops, one last thing...Quidditch on Ice would be the best! :-P



ConnieK wrote:
Now, wouldn't you pay good money to see "Harry On Ice?"
Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
Posts: 3,319
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Harry on Film

Quiddich on ice lol, only with Dementors : )


Kreacherteacher wrote:
Oh, heck yeah! I am so there. Any "accio..." scenes would be well worth it. How the heck would they catch anything?! Hehe!

We could cast Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding in some meaty roles. Alright, so that was uncalled for. I digress.

Oops, one last thing...Quidditch on Ice would be the best! :-P



ConnieK wrote:
Now, wouldn't you pay good money to see "Harry On Ice?" Take the kids. :smileyvery-happy:>



Message Edited by Kreacherteacher on 08-15-2007 03:00 PM


Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
Posts: 2,931
Registered: ‎06-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Harry on Film

I don't know much about the Film rating system..PG etc. But do you suppose when filming DH, they will change Molly's line to "not my daughter, you witch?"



ConnieK wrote:
FYI: Discussion from the "Harry on Film" board will be moved to this board beginning Wednesday, 8/15/07. For those interested, you may begin posting on this subject in this thread beginning now.

EnJOY!

~ConnieK


Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
Posts: 1,041
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Harry on Film

If they did it wouldn't have the same impact. Better they leave it as it is and take the more mature rating.

Mollywobbles wrote:
I don't know much about the Film rating system..PG etc. But do you suppose when filming DH, they will change Molly's line to "not my daughter, you witch?"



ConnieK wrote:
FYI: Discussion from the "Harry on Film" board will be moved to this board beginning Wednesday, 8/15/07. For those interested, you may begin posting on this subject in this thread beginning now.

EnJOY!

~ConnieK





Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
Posts: 1,234
Registered: ‎07-24-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Harry on Film

Nah. The HP movies lately have been PG-13, and I think DH will get this rating as well. The thing I would be more concerned with is the amount of violence. There are some harsh scenes, Snape's death, Bellatrix cursing Hermione, everyone that gets it by moldy Voldy, and others.

It's increasingly interesting to me to think as well about the idea that Harry goes into death rather easily, in my opinion anyway. I think if you take a child younger than that, you'd better be willing to talk about death and suicide to the young'ns. I cannot see it getting an R rating. I think the screenwriters will really push the envelope to see what they can do and get away with, but I think it will be okay. I also thought about assisted suicide with relation to Snape and Dumbledore. Though Dumbledore knew he was dying, he essentially put Snape into a Kevorkian role. Which in a weird way, was what many of us were hoping for, that Snape was loyal and somehow helping Dumbledore. He couldn't possibly be evil.

On a sidenote, I think the LOTR movies all scored PG-13 and there were very violent scenes in at least the 2nd and 3rd movies. Frodo, I think, knew it would be dangerous, but had hope or felt he would still somehow survive. He did not walk so consciously into death's arms.

That could be an interesting discussion. Not about Frodo necessarily, but about how death is used in the literary world overall, or simply in the Potter series. People have died in every one of the books, and increasinly so.

On that lovely note, I leave you to your thoughts.