Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Harry on Film

I don't think the deaths will matter much in the ratings -- beyond giving the movies a PG-13 anyway. None of these deaths are bloody, and none come with an excessive amount of violence in them -- pointing a wand at a person and watching them keel over is almost cartoonish in a way, it can't happen in real life. It is similar to the kinds of deaths you see in Star Wars and Stargate and Startrek; a person could imitate those killing actions as much as they wanted to and nothing bad would happen to their intended victim.

The "bitch" word will just get a "mild strong language" note tacked on the rating. They HAVE to keep it in -- it is Molly's finest character-defining moment!
Frequent Contributor
amm1
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:The "bitch" word will just get a "mild strong language" note tacked on the rating. They HAVE to keep it in -- it is Molly's finest character-defining moment!

Is it Molly's defining moment because she stood up to Bella or because of 'the word' she used?
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

Because it was the moment you stopped seeing a sweet frumpy Mum whose job in the OotP was organizing dinner, and saw her as Dueling witch battling Belatrix, one of the worst of Voldy's people. It elevated her to the same level as hero the others for those that would not see a sweet house wife as that heroic. (Which I fully respect stay at home moms and all the hard work they do, so please, please, do not think I meant she was any less then the others.)

amm1 wrote:

Psychee wrote:The "bitch" word will just get a "mild strong language" note tacked on the rating. They HAVE to keep it in -- it is Molly's finest character-defining moment!

Is it Molly's defining moment because she stood up to Bella or because of 'the word' she used?

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Frequent Contributor
amm1
0 Kudos

ShadowCougar wrote:
Because it was the moment you stopped seeing a sweet frumpy Mum whose job in the OotP was organizing dinner, and saw her as Dueling witch battling Belatrix, one of the worst of Voldy's people. It elevated her to the same level as hero the others for those that would not see a sweet house wife as that heroic. (Which I fully respect stay at home moms and all the hard work they do, so please, please, do not think I meant she was any less then the others.)

amm1 wrote:

Yes, but it is Molly's fight to the death, not 'that word', that make this a great scene. I'm glad it was Molly that did away with such an evil woman.
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

I'm sorry if I was unclear, as that was the point I was making, was that her actions to step up and fight was what makes it a great moment, not the language. The language is just the topper on the scene.

amm1 wrote:

Yes, but it is Molly's fight to the death, not 'that word', that make this a great scene. I'm glad it was Molly that did away with such an evil woman.

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

I am not even the slightest bit offended by language, unless of course someone is cursing at me. Anyway, language is healthy and words are just a means to express yourself. If it fits, it fits. I would argue it was a bit mild for Bellatrix. I wouldn't insult a female dog by placing them in the same category.
Frequent Contributor
amm1
0 Kudos

Kreacherteacher wrote:
I am not even the slightest bit offended by language, unless of course someone is cursing at me. Anyway, language is healthy and words are just a means to express yourself. If it fits, it fits. I would argue it was a bit mild for Bellatrix. I wouldn't insult a female dog by placing them in the same category.

Personally, I don't believe the language adds anything to the scene but as usual I know I'm in the minority. On various boards I've noticed so many people are excited and love this scene but for some it's more about the word used then it is about Molly's actions.
Frequent Contributor
BnBookworm
0 Kudos

amm1 wrote:

How can it be "mild strong language?"
Ninety percent of who you are is invisible
Imagination...is a form of seeing
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

amm1 wrote:

Kreacherteacher wrote:

Personally, I don't believe the language adds anything to the scene but as usual I know I'm in the minority. On various boards I've noticed so many people are excited and love this scene but for some it's more about the word used then it is about Molly's actions.

I'd say that her actions were what defined her, but the "b" word indicated that she had lost her temper in a way that totally put her into the "lioness on a rampage protecting her cub" state of mind. Because Molly was always, throughout the books, the kind of mother who chastised her children for such things as making rude hand gestures, when that word came out her mouth, the reader knew that this was a side of Molly that they had never ever seen before and the reason was clear -- she'd go to hell before she'd allow Bellatrix to take yet another child away from her...

That word says a A LOT, coming from her. Coming from anyone else, it would not be so defining...
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

BnBookworm wrote:

amm1 wrote:

How can it be "mild strong language?"

Good question! Substitute the word "profanity" for what I wrote as "Strong Language"...

Actually, what they have in the way of content ratings is "L" = Language for mild to moderate use of profanity and "SL" = Strong Language for explicit or frequent use of profanity.

This would only get an "L"...
Frequent Contributor
Half-Blood_Canadian
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
The thing is...i don't really care what rating it is given because whatever the US rating, it will be one level less in Canada...which i find quite amusing. I'm going to bet that it'll receive a PG rating in Canada because the next level up is 14A (which was the original rating given to Knocked Up...*it didnt change to R until a month and a half after release*). Well, my point is that no matter what word Molly uses and no matter how many deaths there are, there is no way Harry Potter will get the same rating as Knocked Up.

Message Edited by Half-Blood_Canadian on 08-16-2007 09:37 AM
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I didn't know that about the differences in the rating systems here in Canada being less restrictive-I never pay any attention to them anyway, interesting.

I hope that they leave the line as it is. As someone else posted, it is such a departure for Molly to use this language, you just know her maternal, protective instincts have gone into transwarp drive. It isn't the word she uses, but the fact that she uses it that makes it meaningful.

Originally, I had thought that Neville might get to administer the Coup de Grace to Bellatrix, but it worried me. Neville, no matter how much he had improved, grown etc. was going to be really outmatched when it came to a duel with Bellatrix, one on one. I didn't want to see another Longbottom fall prey to Bella.

I wonder what parts they will be forced to cut from the film, to make it manageable in length. I expect they'll ditch a lot of the mucking about in the woods, and they'll probably have to simplify all the wand switchey changey stuff (it was a little hard to follow in text). Probably they will delete the apparation to London right after the wedding, and I'm afraid that the Pirate Broadcast scene will be eliminated.

Do you think they will have Ron leaving and returning, or will he stick it out.

I've just realized that I've gone from speculating on what will be in the book, to what will be in the film. Definitely time to drag out the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

Half-Blood_Canadian wrote:
The thing is...i don't really care what rating it is given because whatever the US rating, it will be one level less in Canada...which i find quite amusing. I'm going to bet that it'll receive a PG rating in Canada because the next level up is 14A (which was the original rating given to Knocked Up...*it didnt change to R until a month and a half after release*). Well, my point is that no matter what word Molly uses and no matter how many deaths there are, there is no way Harry Potter will get the same rating as Knocked Up.

Message Edited by Half-Blood_Canadian on 08-16-2007 09:37 AM

Contributor
garage366
0 Kudos

Ok, maybe I'm weird, but I liked the movie OotP! I didn't like the book as much actually. The book was my least favorite of all and I'm not sure why. I do hope they hurry up and make the last movies before the actors are way too old to play the parts!!!
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

"Quidditch on Ice"--ha--good one, KT! :smileywink:

~ConnieK

Kreacherteacher wrote, in part:
Quidditch on Ice would be the best! :-P

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

a. i was kinda disappointed when i saw mad eye. he;s supposed to have ths rotating disgusting blue eye right? in the movies, kinda cartoonish. but its cool cuz it's for the kids anyway.
b. did you guys notice that neville is always the one telling the solutions to harry when in the books, it was dobby? (i mean, gilyweed, room of requirement)
c. i wished neville didnt lose weight --he looked cute in the books.
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
tonkshermione
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I didnt like the OOTP movie that much...It had good parts but I was disappointed that they changed and cut soooo much...I was really looking forward to a St.Mungo's scene with Professor Lockhart! lol :smileyvery-happy: ...BTW What happened to Colin! In the 4th movie they started using some random kid named Nigel thats not even in the books! Anyway, over all i was disappointed but I still thought it was a pretty good movie. :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by tonkshermione on 08-17-2007 08:36 PM
Frequent Contributor
iheartbooks
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
I don't know much about the Film rating system..PG etc. But do you suppose when filming DH, they will change Molly's line to "not my daughter, you witch?"

i REALLY hope they dont do that. it would completely ruin the whole scene. it shows molly stepping up and showing another side of her that you haven't seen and which most likely will only come out if her children are purposely being harmed.
your heart is my pinata
Frequent Contributor
iheartbooks
0 Kudos

garage366 wrote:
Ok, maybe I'm weird, but I liked the movie OotP! I didn't like the book as much actually. The book was my least favorite of all and I'm not sure why. I do hope they hurry up and make the last movies before the actors are way too old to play the parts!!!

well actually harry potter and the half-blood prince is scheduled to hit theaters november 2008. so imagine how old the characters are going to be in the deathly hallows, which will probaly come out some time in 2009. "/
your heart is my pinata
New User
e_rivera
0 Kudos

Dice wrote:
I am very curious to see whether I am the only one feeling this way, but were any of you bothered by the visual change to the look of Hogwarts between the beginning and the third. The grounds and the whomping willow were so different that it was sort of a turnoff for me with the third movie (which i was rather excited to finally see on film). Maybe I'm nuts, but then again this is the place to ask this sort of a question.

I was very bothered by the last 2 movies. many of the important characters where not shown and some of the important parts of the book were not included. how lame! but i think helena bonham carter was a fabulous belatrix lestrange. did anyone ever noticed how they never showed the important scene where serious gives the mirror to harry? because that was a very important part of deathly hollows. we will see how this plays out. im counting down the days until the next movie comes out.

by the way did anyone see how handsome daniel radcliff is growing up to be! but i think rupert is cuter! check daniel out in some upcoming films that he is making. LETS SUPPORT HARRY POTTER..OR SHOULD I SAY DANIEL RADCLIFF. hes going to forever be known as the boy who lived. lol :0
Frequent Contributor
Socratea
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
I don't know much about the Film rating system..PG etc. But do you suppose when filming DH, they will change Molly's line to "not my daughter, you witch?"

ConnieK wrote:
FYI: Discussion from the "Harry on Film" board will be moved to this board beginning Wednesday, 8/15/07. For those interested, you may begin posting on this subject in this thread beginning now.

EnJOY!

~ConnieK

Try praying that they get it right and don't cut the scene out entirely!! :smileywink:

All joking aside, let's hope Mollywobbles, that by the year 2010, the Ratings Board will have come to its senses, and will allow the final installment of HP to be told truthfully. They've had a time of it trying to hold onto the PG-13 rating. I say it's time to let that go. Harry is 17 in DH, the same age theatres allow for adult material to be viewed without a parental guardian. Let's hope they don't get cold feet and stay true to the story.

Then again, this may not be a problem. You can see all the gore and violence and hear all the swear words you want, according to the US Rating System, but throw in a teensy sexual situation, and it's a big problem. Since none of the sex stuff happened in DH, then it should be cool.

I'm looking forward to a realistic final battle and the duel b/t Molly and Bella--UNCUT! :smileyvery-happy:

Slytherin, Noblest of the Hogwarts Four
§ Slytherin, Noblest of the Hogwarts Four §

“oh no a Lethifold’s got me I’m suffocating.”