Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Aren
0 Kudos

Re: Harry on Film

I am only halfway through Order of the Phonix, so haven't read all the books yet. But one thing that grabs me, is the differance between the Harry of the books, and the Harry of the movies.
Harry in the movies, is rather like an idealized kid. He's darn near perfect-ALWAYS loveable, nice, kind. Never gets out of the wrong side of the bed.
Harry in the books, is, well normal. He gets mad, miserable, mouths off to teachers, gets his selfish moments. As well as being a good friend, and a nice kid, he's, as I said, normal.
I applaud Ms Rowling for not making Harry a Mr Perfect. He's so much more interesting, now that I've been reading the books, than in the movies!
I kind of remember seeing on the extras from maybe the first DVD, a scene that got cut, that was in the first book. Its in Snape's class, and Snape keeps asking Harry questions he doesn't know the answer to. Harry very nastily tells Snape, he should ask Hermionie, who keeps raising her hand. I mean, what kid in the same situation, wouldn't want to react the same way? JK Rowling really knows her kids! I rather wish the movies had stayed more true to Harry's character, than they have.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Well, first off Aren, if you haven't read the books, be wary of this sight! it was after all "the ministry of spoilers"!
But yeah, i agree, i have always been somewhat disappointed in the movies for that reason . But what can i say? They are MOVIES. i have never seen a movie that captures the emotions and realism of its characters better than the book it was based on. Even in ootp movie, i found myself asking, what about the huge fit he (harry) throws at Grimauld place? He was much more awful in the book. One of the key reasons the movie disappointed me so.

And sorry, can't spell "Grimauld Place"
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
gniff
0 Kudos

[...] You can see all the gore and violence and hear all the swear words you want, according to the US Rating System, but throw in a teensy sexual situation, and it's a big problem. Since none of the sex stuff happened in DH, then it should be cool.
I'm looking forward to a realistic final battle and the duel b/t Molly and Bella--UNCUT!
Slytherin, Noblest of the Hogwarts Four
Actually, if you want to be sure of an R rating these days, you just have a few of the characters smoking tobacco. I don't know that waccy baccy would get the R rating, but the legal stuff will.
ABI
0 Kudos

I honestly like her using "b" for Bellatrix. And i do think it's somewhat mild in comparative to the subject its aimed at. I mean, this woman killed her cousin and then laughed, plus countless others, tortured into madness the Longbottoms, and so much more i don't even want to know. I can think of a few things much worse i wouldn't mind calling her myself.

I am pretty sympathetic to most evil (Snape, Malfoy, and so on---even sometimes Tom Riddle!), but i see nothing in Bella except complete and utter EVIL. She has no reason oncesoever for her actions.

I HOPE they put that scene in the movie, in all its glory.

Psychee wrote:
I'd say that her actions were what defined her, but the "b" word indicated that she had lost her temper in a way that totally put her into the "lioness on a rampage protecting her cub" state of mind. Because Molly was always, throughout the books, the kind of mother who chastised her children for such things as making rude hand gestures, when that word came out her mouth, the reader knew that this was a side of Molly that they had never ever seen before and the reason was clear -- she'd go to hell before she'd allow Bellatrix to take yet another child away from her...

That word says a A LOT, coming from her. Coming from anyone else, it would not be so defining...
Frequent Contributor
Socratea
0 Kudos

gniff wrote:

[...] You can see all the gore and violence and hear all the swear words you want, according to the US Rating System, but throw in a teensy sexual situation, and it's a big problem. Since none of the sex stuff happened in DH, then it should be cool.
I'm looking forward to a realistic final battle and the duel b/t Molly and Bella--UNCUT!
Slytherin, Noblest of the Hogwarts Four
Actually, if you want to be sure of an R rating these days, you just have a few of the characters smoking tobacco. I don't know that waccy baccy would get the R rating, but the legal stuff will.

Are you serious? Wow, I didn't know that. Sometimes the Ratings Board can be so backwards...
§ Slytherin, Noblest of the Hogwarts Four §

“oh no a Lethifold’s got me I’m suffocating.”
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Oh yes! I completely agree! They are so messed up! (rating boards, that is) I see nothing wrong with language, and saying f***, personally,when i was younger (like 11or whenever i started watching r ratings), it didn't "scar me for life" or anything. i didn't go around the house swearing at the top of my voice whenever i was upset just because i'd watched someone say it on tv. And just for smoking????? That's a bit over the top!

Do you think wizards smoke? never mentioned it...
Frequent Contributor
gniff
0 Kudos

What about Mundungus and his pipe, with the clouds of green smoke and the gagging fumes? We saw them in the first scene in the basement (servants') kitchen at #12 Grimmauld Place.
0 Kudos

These books are so fun to read, taht even thought I've peeked through the last one, and have a pretty basic idea of how it all turns out, I am in no way dissuaded from reading though Phoenix, Half blood prince and Deathly Hallows.

And, now that I'm into Phoenix, and see how Sirius is rather like a spoiled kid himself at times, I wish they'd put that into the movie. Again, it made him more realistic, rather than the altruisic hero he ended up being. I think Ms Rowling likes to write her characters as real people, with faults and qualities any of us would recognize in people we love and/or admire.

I agree...books are often SO much better than the movies made of them! Black Beauty is one of the best told stories-in book form, that is. Dracula, is much more than a vampire story, its one of the best novels ever written, great characters, descriptive, and suspenseful. Everytime I watch a Dracula movie, I wonder if I and the scriptwriter read the same book.
Frequent Contributor
Socratea
0 Kudos

ABI wrote:
Oh yes! I completely agree! They are so messed up! (rating boards, that is) I see nothing wrong with language, and saying f***, personally,when i was younger (like 11or whenever i started watching r ratings), it didn't "scar me for life" or anything. i didn't go around the house swearing at the top of my voice whenever i was upset just because i'd watched someone say it on tv. And just for smoking????? That's a bit over the top!

Do you think wizards smoke? never mentioned it...

Well, there was that one scene in OoTP when 'Dung is smoking a pipe in the kitchen at Grimmauld Place and Molly yells at him for it. Which makes me think only the maligned or "bad and/or shifty" characters smoke in HP's world (for the most part). So Voldy & Co.? Definitely. Slytherins sneaking a smoke in the bathrooms? Of course. :smileywink:

Then again, in OoTP when Harry takes Hedwig to the teacher's lounge, Prof. Grubby-Plank is smoking a pipe. I picture the teacher's lounge, with it's wood-paneled walls, filled w/ a smoky haze every time a teacher goes there for a break. Little known fact: Prof. McGonagall chain smokes to keep thin, and Snape enjoys a fine Dunhill (just one) after dinner with his nightcap of choice. :smileywink:
§ Slytherin, Noblest of the Hogwarts Four §

“oh no a Lethifold’s got me I’m suffocating.”
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Yeah, well, pipes completely slipped my mind, I just couldn't imagine Ron(example) stomping his cigarette butt into the ground...though i can definitely see Pansy Parkinson...")
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Got this from Veritaserum:
...the British Board of Film Classification has revealed the names and lengths of the deleted scenes that will be included on the Order of the Phoenix DVD. They are as follows:
00:02:31:17 TRELAWNY EATING
00:00:13:08 NEVILLE SPEAKS UP FOR HARRY
00:00:26:02 STEADY CAM AROUND
00:02:46:18 UMBRIDGE QUESTIONS TRELAWNY
00:00:17:21 MALFOY, CRABBE, AND GOYLE BULLY A STUDENT
00:00:21:06 FILCH BLOWS ON UMBRIDGE'S HAIR
00:01:47:14 HARRY, HERMIONE, AND UMBRIDGE - EXTENDED
00:00:37:22 HARRY ENTERS
00:01:07:23 HARRY AND RON PACKING
In total, the scenes last 10 minutes and 10 seconds. The release date of the DVD has yet to be announced, but will almost certainly be before Christmas.

Message Edited by PattyBNUChick on 08-30-2007 06:07 PM
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

"Filch blows on Umbridge's hair"? lol... I wonder what THAT is about! Is her hair on fire?
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Maybe he was putting the moves on her lol.

Psychee wrote:
"Filch blows on Umbridge's hair"? lol... I wonder what THAT is about! Is her hair on fire?

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

PattyBNUChick wrote:

Psychee wrote:

lol... like blowing in her ear? Hilarious! :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Yep, like blowing in her ear. : )

Psychee wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:

Psychee wrote:

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

PattyBNUChick wrote:
Yep, like blowing in her ear. : )

Psychee wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:

Psychee wrote:

not hilarious! disgusting!!!!! filch is one thing ...but umbridge? gag!

**mrs RW vomits on her firewhisky
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Well, I finally, today, got to see "Order of The Phoenix". I had promised my nephews that I would take them to an IMAX theatre for it, and although they saw it practically the first day it came out in a regular theatre, I waited for the chance to see it for the first time with them...

My reaction to it was ambivalent... there were so many changes to the story that I got a bit disoriented, and some things were just WRONG.

I think the depiction of Kreacher, though, probably was the thing that got to me the most. I guess most folks saw the movie before they read the seventh book and didn't react as strongly to it because they didn't yet know that Kreacher would turn out to be a good elf... but I DO know that. How are they ever going to turn that evil looking thing into the adorably funny Kreacher we know and love now?

They did introduce two new things into the dialog, though, which I thought were good... that scene where Her Pinkness tells Harry that "bad boys should be punished" was timed so well that I felt like reaching into the screen and strangling the woman.... and Dumbledore's words at the end "I care about you", is something that was never in the books but implied through actions and the words were necessary for Gambon to get across that message. I'm happy they made him verbalize it...

And I like Grawp's face... he was a LOT cuter than I had pictured him...
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:
Well, I finally, today, got to see "Order of The Phoenix". I had promised my nephews that I would take them to an IMAX theatre for it, and although they saw it practically the first day it came out in a regular theatre, I waited for the chance to see it for the first time with them...

My reaction to it was ambivalent... there were so many changes to the story that I got a bit disoriented, and some things were just WRONG.

I think the depiction of Kreacher, though, probably was the thing that got to me the most. I guess most folks saw the movie before they read the seventh book and didn't react as strongly to it because they didn't yet know that Kreacher would turn out to be a good elf... but I DO know that. How are they ever going to turn that evil looking thing into the adorably funny Kreacher we know and love now?

They did introduce two new things into the dialog, though, which I thought were good... that scene where Her Pinkness tells Harry that "bad boys should be punished" was timed so well that I felt like reaching into the screen and strangling the woman.... and Dumbledore's words at the end "I care about you", is something that was never in the books but implied through actions and the words were necessary for Gambon to get across that message. I'm happy they made him verbalize it...

And I like Grawp's face... he was a LOT cuter than I had pictured him...

I AGREE. I loathed the 5th movie. It was AWFUL. They left out too much (the "beyond the veil" chapter was cut up, spew, and ron were snubbed, as well as Harry's "emotional journey" I thought was just er---too heroic, too little yelling, too much apologizing), and put in things I thought a trifle too...Hollywood I suppose would be the proper wording. They were too soft on Cho---she was much more dislikable in the book, what with the "Madam Puddifoot's" scene, and the excessive Cedric-talk. The whole affair was less realistic, more romantic---which is the opposite of dating at that age.

But yeah, Umbridge was great. In the book I wanted to club her over the head, and wished the same during the movie. So thats all I care really.

Kreacher they'll manage. At some point I might have cared how he was portrayed, but now, disappointment is clogging expectance. If they make up for ootp in making hbp, I'll forgive them. but so far, I see movies going downhill from the books, which seem a mile away and furthering in distance as we speak...
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

I dunno, maybe they could make him look like Princess Diana. Sorry for the sarcasm, but I am sick of the coverage of her AGAIN.

Anywho, I grew to love him and I didn't picture him any differently than the way he appeared in OOTP the movie. He is aged and weary from all the wickedness that has surrounded him his whole life. His appearance is endearing considering how he turned out.

Psychee wrote:
I guess most folks saw the movie before they read the seventh book and didn't react as strongly to it because they didn't yet know that Kreacher would turn out to be a good elf... but I DO know that. How are they ever going to turn that evil looking thing into the adorably funny Kreacher we know and love now?

Frequent Contributor
snapessister
0 Kudos

The OOP movie was awesome! Well, at least, way better then the GOF. Surprisingly, most of the story was there, Umbridge was brought wickedly to life, and the climax was mind blowing.
I did miss the agony of loosing Sirius.
Another thing that sort of bothered me is that Snape's so darn calm after Harry breaks into his mind. In the book, Snape tries to hit him with a jar. I’m hoping that the climax for the next movie more emotionally charged, especially when Snape nails Harry for calling him a coward.
It didn't show much of Harry feeling sorry for Snape either and in the book, Harry relates to the way that Sev was bullied. In a way sets up the relationship between Harry and the Half-Blood Prince (even if Harry doesn't know it) and the devastation of loosing his "friend" who helped him through the school year.

They’re going to have a lot of explaining in the next movie to prepare for the finale.