Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Hp and thE Series of unfortuNate events, starring tom olaf

this was being discussed on the 'questions left unanswered' thread. that if it seems that voldemort is the last living wizard relative of potter, why didnt dumbledore made the connection, then we concluded that it would make a good ' harry potter and the series of unfortunate events" and voldy would make a good count olaf. omy was that funny. just wanna share! harhar. maybe it deserves its own thread.
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

Re: Hp and thE Series of unfortuNate events, starring tom olaf

[ Edited ]

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
this was being discussed on the 'questions left unanswered' thread. that if it seems that voldemort is the last living wizard relative of potter, why didnt dumbledore made the connection, then we concluded that it would make a good ' harry potter and the series of unfortunate events" and voldy would make a good count olaf. omy was that funny. just wanna share! harhar. maybe it deserves its own thread.

"Gleap!" said Grawp, which meant something along the lines of, "What a mildly amusing premise!" Premise, of course, is a word which here means, "idea for a thread." But Hermione already knew this as she had read it in the dictionary just last week.

Message Edited by phrodo41 on 09-10-2007 07:14 PM
Frequent Contributor
snapessister
0 Kudos

I thought that pretty much everyone was related in the wizarding world. Tom and Harry are related on the maternal line of the Perverells, but both of them are probably distantly related to most other wizarding families.

Hermione Probably wouldn't tell Harry he was related to Lord Voldemort even if she did know, in the books she wants to downplay any connection between LV and Harry.

Evidently Dumbledore knew, but he didn’t tell Harry because he believed that It is not who you are born, it is who you grow up to be that really matters.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

"I'm the most handsome wizard in the world!" said Olaf-Mort, as he appraised himself in a mirror. "Don't you agree Nagini?"

"Hsssafrisss", said Nagini.

Harry, who was hearing this all in his head in a dream, felt Olaf-Mort's rage in his scar. Harry did not have to consult a book to know that Nagini had replied "Yeah, you've got some interesting facial features going on there, but to me, you still look pretty stupid walking around on those things you call legs".
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

snapessister wrote:
I thought that pretty much everyone was related in the wizarding world. Tom and Harry are related on the maternal line of the Perverells, but both of them are probably distantly related to most other wizarding families.

Hermione Probably wouldn't tell Harry he was related to Lord Voldemort even if she did know, in the books she wants to downplay any connection between LV and Harry.

Evidently Dumbledore knew, but he didn’t tell Harry because he believed that It is not who you are born, it is who you grow up to be that really matters.

yea i knew it was you!
voldemort seriously needs a noselift.
mr jackson would make a good voldemort without effort in terms of make up time that is
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

Remember, there are far less Wizards walking around than Muggles, and most pure-blood Wizarding families are going to be distantly related if you trace their lineage back far enough. Harry being related to Voldy isn't really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things (although the Perevel connection is certainly interesting).
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

phrodo41 wrote:
Remember, there are far less Wizards walking around than Muggles, and most pure-blood Wizarding families are going to be distantly related if you trace their lineage back far enough. Harry being related to Voldy isn't really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things (although the Perevel connection is certainly interesting).

And the Peverells lived way way back... the ring was in the Gaunt family alone for more than two centuries.

Very few of us know our second cousins; and the relationship between Voldemort and Harry could be like 28th cousins -- there could be millions of other people equally related.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

but seriously you guys, im really glad jkr didnt have to make the moldy harry connection such a big deal. i mean, it would be so star wars cliche if voldy turned out to b harry's... brother, or father. that would be a total disapointment.

i can imagine voldemort, in ridiculous disguises, trying in vain to kill harry. voldemort in a wig. golden brown curls... noseless and stinky....
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

I really, really love the Snicket series. I think they surpass Harry in some ways. (Snikett's prose is a little more 'fresh' and distinct than Jo's, I think)

Did anyone else ever make it all the way to The End?
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

i love the movie, but i never got around to reading the books, ill have to buy one to read one though. my cousin is the real book freak, not me. how many series are teher anyway about the series of unfortunate events?
most people dont like the movie. i seriously thought jim carey would mke a good voldemort. or an argus filch! LOL!
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

phrodo41 wrote:
I really, really love the Snicket series. I think they surpass Harry in some ways. (Snikett's prose is a little more 'fresh' and distinct than Jo's, I think)

Did anyone else ever make it all the way to The End?

Yes, I finished the last book. I recall being a bit disappointed in it, though. Can't really remember why. I think it had to do with an unsatisfying ending. And for the life of me, I can't remember if they ever found that sugar bowl, lol... refresh my memory!

I loved all the rest of them, though. His writing was terrific (and you have his style down pat!) and yes, very original. I loved how each book had a theme "word" that kept popping up over and over again in a new context. Would you have a list of each of those words? I ask because I've given my whole set to one of my two reluctant reader nephews and I'd love to find a way to test him on whether or not he has read them. I know he got to the third one and stopped...
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

ho w does the series end anyway?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
ho w does the series end anyway?

We'll have to wait for phrodo to answer that question, as I have totally forgotten the ending!
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

grab a butterbeer, let's wait for odo (phrodo)... zzzzz....
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
ok, since you asked, I guess I'm gonna blow the ending for some of you, so beware of spoilers:

The book ends with the Baudelaires sailing off into the distance, having raised Kit Snickett's baby (Kit died in childbirth) on an island that was once inhabited by their parents. The boat (and the baby) are named after Beatrice. The VFD remains as morally ambiguous as ever, we never learn how Lemony Snickett fits in with the VFD or the extent of his relationship to the Baudelaires ... and we never find out what's in the damn sugar bowl!

I remember being a little confused over how many loose ends were left, but after thinking about it for awhile I believe this was part of the message in the story. The fact that the orphans BURNT DOWN the Hotel Denoument, means that there is no real denoument for the series; which is often the case in life.

While we are comparing the various merits of Snicket vs. Potter, I think both writers are coming from completely opposite places philosophically and you can tell by the ways they resolve their plotlines. Jo favors traditioinal Judeo-Christian values such as courage, loyalty, social justice, and the power of sacrificial love, Snicket seems incredibly absurdist, especially towards the end. The message: life is full of bad things happening and people who will always let you down, and there's nothing you can do about it but rely on your own skills at either reading, inventing things, or finding things to bite. Nihilism for kiddiess! I think this was rather depressing for alot of readers, which explains why ppl were disappointed. But it was certainly well written and consistent, despite the darker and more philosophical turn towards the end there. Great series!

For further entertainment, rent the DVD and watch it with the commentary. It is Snicket himself (in character) scolding the director for putting such horrible things in a children's film. It's downright hilarious and much better than the actual movie.

Message Edited by phrodo41 on 09-13-2007 05:25 PM
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

you got me intersted. i think ill buy a book myself. what the hell's that sugar bowl?
like i said i liked the movie. even by just watching, im already sooo frustrated at tom olaf! and the stupid chubby guy who can't figure out that he's giving the children to the wrong guy! arrghh...=( ah hate him ya'll
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

the sugarbowl comes into play I think around books 10-12 and then is never mentioned again in 13.

I was disappointed in the film, for the most part. It was too 'Nickelodeon' for my taste and failed to capture the tone of the books. The commentary was much more faithful to the spirit of Snicket.

Mr. Poe was perfect though - did you recognize him as the guy who plays Wormtail?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thanks for the reminder / recap of the end, phrodo.

Was the banker played by the actor who plays Mr. Weasley (see edit below)? I haven't seen the movie yet, but when I do, I will take your advice about getting the edition with Lemony. His constant reminder not to read the books because they were so depressing always gave me the giggles.

How many volumes of the books were covered by the movie?

Edit... sorry, I meant Vernon Dursley...

Message Edited by Psychee on 09-13-2007 06:30 PM
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

gotta watch the movie again. maybe its because i didnt read the books that i liked the movie??

mr poe?? the chuby guy?? wormtaiL??my oh my...
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
gotta watch the movie again. maybe its because i didnt read the books that i liked the movie??

mr poe?? the chuby guy?? wormtaiL??my oh my...

No, sorry, I just edited my note above... the banker looks like Vernon Dursley to me... I thought it might be the same actor. Have to look it up...