Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

If you could change one thing in the books...

There WAS a thread for this before, I just can't find it! Here's what I would do

When Harry goes to the graveyard, have him see Petunia laying flowers on Lily and James' graves, then have a confrontation with Harry. She's secretly been doing this every year! That would be so cute...
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

Re: If you could change one thing in the books...

I would have given Snape the Elder Wand for awhile, and made him more of a villain.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Scene: OOTP, Dudley and Harry on  their way home. Dudley provoked Harry and Harry pulled his wand out and pointed it, threateningly to Duds face

“PUT THAT THING AWAY!” Dudley screamed at Harry.

Harry sneered, “How would it be,” he said, almost in a whisper,”if I sent you home, sprouting feelers…on all fours—“

“I SAID PUT THAT THING AWAY!” Dudley suddenly grabbed Harry’s wand and pointed it at Harry instead, and suddenly a red jet of fire blasted through it, missing Harry by inches, hitting the ivy roped around a fence behind Harry, which suddenly turned to dust.

“Wha-Dudley…..”

“No….no…” Dudley looked as if  he was going to throw up … “H-harry… what happened? No…” but Dudley already knew what he had done.. he looked at Harry fear in his eyes..

“Dudley… I think you just did magic.” Harry confirmed.

And that.

Is what.

I want.

To happen,.

o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
the_mad_chatter
0 Kudos

Mrs. RW- You are wicked.

There are so many things I would change for sentimental reasons-Sirius's death, Hagrid's wand not being reinstated to him, Hedwig's death (talk about foreshadowing!, it was just so quick-I didn't have a chance to say goodbye :smileysad:) and no smoldering scenes between Ron and Hermione.  As for things that would have truly improved the series:  I would change a few of Dumbledore's scenes so that he wasn't so Socratic all the time.  A few clear explanation before the terror starts would have been nice!
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

*gives mad a lil curtsey

thank you thank you… well you see, it would be a great twist if Dudley’s worst memory was knowing he had magic in him all along, and the two (with Harry finding out about it) keeps it a secret from the Dursleys… :smileytongue:

I actually love DDs being so I dunno, all-knowing.. I like it.

What ii would change are the snape scenes..  I would love nothing better but snape declaring his allegiance to DD in front of Vody and the whole school. But he died a secret double agent. I wanted him to be seen differently by everyone. Again.i am no snape supporter, but I think it would be fair for him,. He didn’t have to die that way.

Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I've said this somewhere else, but if I could change one thing, I would like to see Frank and Alice Longbottom healed.  It just seems such a shame that people who were Imperiused came back to themselves, while poor Frank and Alice were permanently damaged.  It would have been a nice ending for Neville.

agnijay wrote:
There WAS a thread for this before, I just can't find it! Here's what I would do

When Harry goes to the graveyard, have him see Petunia laying flowers on Lily and James' graves, then have a confrontation with Harry. She's secretly been doing this every year! That would be so cute...

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

I definitely agree. :c it was so sad. Seeing them in St Mungo’s like that… I think id be mad at Neville too if I found out my Grandson doesn’t tell the truth about his parents….

Although  I really understand Neville’s part. I know its definitely not easy being in his shoes.

But im getting the feeling that Frank was really close to Gran, hearing her talk that way…. Im thinking he was an adorable momma’s boy when he was younger. :smileytongue: lol!

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

This may seam silly, but Hediwig's death just seamed so much of a topcast waste. Too much like a lets reakup the body count. That I would definitely change.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Well I definitely don’t want her dead! She was a good pet! Harry’s first best friend I think.

I love hedwig’s character.

I love that part where she met Pig for the first time, twittering little bird zooming around the place, Harry was having a hard time fastening  a reply to Ron’s letter because Pig was overly excited. Then when it was time to send Hedwig for a letter, harry noticed she was so still as if to show him how a proper owl should behave. Hehe!

B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

If I could add one thing, it would be to learn more about James' time in School, specifically when and why he chanced dso drastically from the annoying popular jock to a man that could win Lily, and would fight for the Order.
"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Yes id love more stories about James Potter, but not because I need more ‘convincing’ or anything. I just think James is a very exciting, interesting character. I always thought he’s nice to everyone, a bit of a show-off especially to girls, and he knows how to show his principles by punishing people who love the Dark arts which in his book, is unacceptable.

Remind me again, in James and Snape’s time in Hogwarts,was Voldemrort notorious at the time already?  Or were the Death Eaters just beginning the recruitment?
Frequent Contributor
the_mad_chatter
0 Kudos

I thought Hedwig's killing was a major foreshadowing element.  That's the moment I knew all hell was REALLY going to break loose-like we've never seen before.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Ugh! Hedwig died and thank you so much Arthur Weasley for tinkering with the bike! (just kidding just kidding) HEDWIG HAD TO DIE!  She’s my favorite pet, see?

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

mrsronaldweasley wrote:

Yes id love more stories about James Potter, but not because I need more ‘convincing’ or anything. I just think James is a very exciting, interesting character. I always thought he’s nice to everyone, a bit of a show-off especially to girls, and he knows how to show his principles by punishing people who love the Dark arts which in his book, is unacceptable.

Remind me again, in James and Snape’s time in Hogwarts,was Voldemrort notorious at the time already? Or were the Death Eaters just beginning the recruitment?

I think he was already famous, because in the Pensieve, Harry sees Lily upset at Snape for wanting to be a death eater. Plus, many people in James' year are sons of the original death eaters.
☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

I would really love it if Snape and the truth about him was revealed before he died. That would make such a beautiful twist. :smileytongue:

Frequent Contributor
Starlet
0 Kudos

mrsronaldweasley wrote:

I would really love it if Snape and the truth about him was revealed before he died. That would make such a beautiful twist. :smileytongue:

I don't think that Snape would willingly tell someone about that... Too personal. I agree it would be a nice twist.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

"I cannot live without books."
Thomas Jefferson
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

Hedwig's death was definitely unneeded, depressing and... just unneeded.  :robotsad:
   An interesting twist would be if Ron had saved Hogwarts, killed Voldemort, resurrected everyone on Harry's side who had died, and married MrsRonaldWeasley instead of Hermione. :robotsurprised:   Then Harry would marry Hermione, Ginny would marry Neville and Luna would stay at Hogwarts as a Care of Magical Creatures professor.   For once, Ron really should have been the hero in HP&DH.
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
dianaprince
0 Kudos

mrsronaldweasley wrote:

Scene: OOTP, Dudley and Harry on  their way home. Dudley provoked Harry and Harry pulled his wand out and pointed it, threateningly to Duds face

Harry sneered, “How would it be,” he said, almost in a whisper,”if I sent you home, sprouting feelers…on all fours—“

“I SAID PUT THAT THING AWAY!” Dudley suddenly grabbed Harry’s wand and pointed it at Harry instead, and suddenly a red jet of fire blasted through it, missing Harry by inches, hitting the ivy roped around a fence behind Harry, which suddenly turned to dust.

“Wha-Dudley…..”

“No….no…” Dudley looked as if  he was going to throw up … “H-harry… what happened? No…” but Dudley already knew what he had done.. he looked at Harry fear in his eyes..

And that.

Is what.

I want.

To happen,.

And MrsRW...  That was an amazing twist.  Simply amazing.
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -- Amelia Earhart
May the Force of Fashion Sense be With You!! :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
hihi
0 Kudos

mrsronaldweasley wrote:

“Wha-Dudley…..”

And that.

Is what.

I want.

To happen,.

That would stick it to Uncle Vernon.

Frequent Contributor
blinkgirl89
0 Kudos

i would have liked Luna to stay with Dean. and of coures that Sirius wouldn't have died, or maybe died but until later in the series, he went to soon.
LAKERS 2009 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

"PIGFARTS, IS ON MARS"