Frequent Contributor
Solitud
0 Kudos

Re: Is Harry Christian Or Not?

Wow, someone said this is a bad thread. I beg to differ. Not because HP series was a Christian book but for all the commotion that it has stirred in some sects; Christian sects.

I am a Christian, I go to church, I have deep believes based on the Bible and I am glad that those beliefs do not blind me for the fact that this book series is a fictional story. To me it has a lot of christian influence weather because the author is a christian or because the society in which she (and the intended audience) has grown and lived revolves in some way around christian believes and values. Some of you have put it very well: it does not matter whether Harry is a christian because the intention of the series isn't to christianize or convert. It is just a story.

Going to the book, of course, it isn't mentioned as such but perhaps Harry has never set a foot in church. Do any of you visualize Uncle Vernon sitting by Harry in church listening to a message about the Golden Rule or loving your neighbor like you love yourself? Even if the Dursleys were hypocritical enough to go to church and listen to all of the teachings of Jesus they would have never taken Harry along since he was such an "abnormality". Another scenery would have been that they would have tried to exorcise him!!! Say, if they would have been Catholic, they would have been excomunicated after so many confessions of wanting to kill their nephew and all those ill feelings they openly demonstrated to Harry. That is if they actually confessed them to their priest! I believe they never set foot on a church.

As a writer it is smart not to mix religion because then it would cease to be fiction. Second, I wonder how far did she think her book would be read? I bet she never thought HP would reach other countries the way it has done.

I guess as a reader I can use the values that she portrays in the story as aids in the religious education of my children. My oldest is almost 8 years old and she has seen all the movies. Of course the movies are a little more shallow on this department than the books but she'll read the books some day and will get a better idea on the whole...

My humble opinion!
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

I do not think it entirely irrelevant. I just think it is too specific to make meaningful. I feel we are missing the point when we have such a narrow focus. I do understand the need for discussion on this, but I would rather it be more generalized as a discussion of religion as a whole, and not so focused in on Christianity specifically. I think you have to ask yourself, why do you want Harry to be Christian? Ultimately, my point is that it doesn't matter what specific religion he is as that is not a theme in the book, not do I think Rowling wanted us to think too much about this. But you are all free to do whatever you want of course. I just wanted to add my two cents.

And Solitud, I do believe the Dursleys would go to church. I have known a few people like them. They are all about appearances. As for taking Harry along with them, you are right, he would not be allowed to go along.

And by the way, you can still have religion in a book and it remain fiction. Case in point, The DaVinci Code.
Frequent Contributor
Craig_Dressler
0 Kudos

The Witchcraft Found In Harry Potter Is Not Christian

God makes clear in the Bible that witchcraft in any form is wrong.  We have a choice whether to use the power of God he provides in the Holy Spirit or to choose demonic powers found in witchcraft.  Faith in what Jesus did on the cross to take away our sins opens the door to God and the power of the Holy Spirit and witchcraft leads down the road to the evil spirits, the demonic and devils.  The choice is quite clear.

http://christianbook2.webs.com/
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee

Re: The Witchcraft Found In Harry Potter Is Not Christian

Craig, if you had read any of the Harry Potter books, you would quickly realize that there are no demons involved in the magic contained in the books.  

The so-called "witches" are merely persons who are born with special supernatural abilities and they don't need to pray to some unholy being to get powers to do things (like the witches in the Bible allegedly did) anymore than Superman does.  

The whole saga is about the importance of maintaining a pure and intact soul.   There is nothing whatsoever in these books that conflicts with any Christian teachings, and, in fact, they deliver a similar message. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear

Craig_Dressler wrote:

God makes clear in the Bible that witchcraft in any form is wrong.  We have a choice whether to use the power of God he provides in the Holy Spirit or to choose demonic powers found in witchcraft.  Faith in what Jesus did on the cross to take away our sins opens the door to God and the power of the Holy Spirit and witchcraft leads down the road to the evil spirits, the demonic and devils.  The choice is quite clear.

Besides the fact that this is very off topic.

You really need to do you biblical studies more. A better understanding of how the modern bible was written would serve you well. That particular section of Leviticus is one of the most commonalty mistranslated sections. Go ask any Aramaic scholar the original wording to modern language. It should read - Suffer not a poisoner to live. Original error during the King James revision.

Secondly Harry Potter is not a religious book, it's secular. Is there morality within yes. But there's morality in a episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as well. And one would look foolish comparing that to religious texts too.

And lastly all you have shown is a complete lack of religious and spiritual exploration. IF you had any, you would be well aware Witchcraft (paganism) has zero nothing nada ziltch to do with devils, the devil, demons, deamons, ect...

Go to Wikipedia and learn something.

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Just thought I'd check the etymology of potion and poison.....

Look at this

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/poison

Main Entry: 1poi·son

Pronunciation: \ˈpȯi-zən\

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French poisun drink, potion, poison, from Latin potion-, potio drink — more at potion

Date: 13th century

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/potion

Main Entry: po·tion

Pronunciation: \ˈpō-shən\

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English pocioun, from Anglo-French poisun, pocioun drink, potion, from Latin potion-, potio, from potare to drink — more at potable

Date: 14th century

Interesting!

Contributor
SushiLuver
0 Kudos

Honestly, i dont really think it matters. Harry Potter has so many hidden meanings to it. People think Harry Potter is evil because of there is 'witchcraft' in it. Some of those spells are just made up! plus, harry is fighting dark magic.

People misinterpret JK Rowlings vision of harry potter because they see what they want to see. of course everyone does that when they read a book. but some people see it as evil, and its not even like that. HP talks about love, friendship, family, loss, happiness, hope- all the things that make us people.

And magic gives people hope.if we didnt believe in magic, who knows how the world would be.

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Make that "etymnology".:smileysurprised:

Suer wish my problem was typing rather than not being able to tell what Psychee's thinking. :smileyindifferent:

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Actually, Jules, you were correct with "etymology". There is no -n- in the word.

Sushi, I agree with you in that people will always see what they want to see. It is nice that we have a forum where we can all express ourselves. I have, many times, not necessarily agreed with someone, here and elsewhere, but come to understand their viewpoint. I don't necessarily agree, but I think I can understand where it comes from.

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

:smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Dan21

I think Harry's Christian because he talks about christmas and gets presents for christmas in all the books.