Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BnBookworm
0 Kudos

Is Harry Christian Or Not?

Just so you know, I am not of the opinion that Harry is/is not Christian, I was just wondering what you thought.

But also, the quotes on the graves in DH are out of the Bible. Just pointing this out.
Ninety percent of who you are is invisible
Imagination...is a form of seeing
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Is Harry Christian Or Not?

BnBookworm wrote:
Just so you know, I am not of the opinion that Harry is/is not Christian, I was just wondering what you thought.

But also, the quotes on the graves in DH are out of the Bible. Just pointing this out.

Actually, I think one could think of Harry as being of any religion one would want him to be assuming that that religion believed in the concept of a soul, in the idea that the souls of good people are immortal and "go on" to an Afterlife, and the concept that people should be kind to one another.

Pidgeonholing this character into one religion does the rest of the world an injustice, I think.

I would like to believe that any child (or any young-at-heart adult) anywhere in the world, of whatever faith, could identify with Harry and come away believing that his "goodness of heart" is an ideal worth striving for.
Frequent Contributor
Half-Blood_Canadian
0 Kudos

so,in a way, Harry is of all and yet none of the world's religions. That sounds just about perfect to me...in fact...he could be his own religion. I am seriously willing to bet that some crazy HP fanatic has started a Harry Potter church :smileytongue:lol

Psychee wrote:
I would like to believe that any child (or any young-at-heart adult) anywhere in the world, of whatever faith, could identify with Harry and come away believing that his "goodness of heart" is an ideal worth striving for.

B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

First, I think JKR did a very good job of keeping religion out of it in general, and for those that think that Harry sacrificing himself is a nod to christianity, it is, but also a nod to much older myths of sacrifice for the greater good. I think she rather deftly avoided the religion trap altogether.
Second, oh dear Father Above I hope no one starts a HP church, that will just give those that are against the series more amunition. And people would put these people in the same catagory as the "kooks" that claim that thier religion is the Force. (yes, I am a fan of Star Wars, but I disagree with the Jedi mindsets presented by George Lucas, nor do I personally think they can make an effective belief system, but that is just a comment, and as always, just my opinion).

Half-Blood_Canadian wrote:
so,in a way, Harry is of all and yet none of the world's religions. That sounds just about perfect to me...in fact...he could be his own religion. I am seriously willing to bet that some crazy HP fanatic has started a Harry Potter church :smileytongue:lol

Psychee wrote:

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

i think harry's christian.
1. he celebrates christmas.
2. he bears signs of being God/Jesus like
A) he's also fighting his own demons and temptations.
B) he has this mesiah-nic attitude.
C) he has to sacrifice himself for the wizarding world but has resurrected,
just like jesus dies for us to save us from sins.

so definitely, i think he's very much God-like to me.
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

Ok, First, I know quite a few people who are not religious in the least who celebrate Christmas, I do not find him to be God like in the least. And he did not die. he survived the attack from Voldemort in the forest, and for a short amount of time was in a spiritual situation, but DD told him then he was not dead.

mrsronaldweasley wrote:

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

So doesn't being a Christian also mean you believe that Christ is your savior? For that reason alone there is no proof in the books. However, there is no proof he's not a Christian. Maybe he does have faith in Christ, so for saying he's a Christian, I don't think we can prove it one way or another. As for your list, if these are true, then he seems to have Christian like 'qualities', but it wouldn't necessarily make him a Christian (imo) : )

mrsronaldweasley wrote:

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Actually, Harry lives in the UK, where there is no separation of Church and State. The Head (or "Chief Governor" ) of the Church is the Queen herself. I don't think this is a question that would even be raised there...

Message Edited by Psychee on 08-16-2007 02:27 PM
Frequent Contributor
phrodo41
0 Kudos

here's a few quotes from Jo on this:

(from the recent chat):

MV: Harry's also referred to as the Chosen One. So are there religious--

JKR: Well, there-- there clearly is a religious-- undertone. And-- it's always been difficult to talk about that because until we reached Book Seven, views of what happens after death and so on, it would give away a lot of what was coming. So ... yes, my beliefs and my struggling with religious belief and so on I think is quite apparent in this book.

MV: And what is the struggle?

JKR: Well my struggle really is to keep believing.

MV: To keep believing?

JKR: Yeah, I have-- I have-- Yes.

I am still trying to find the quote, but she has in other places said that yes, she is a Christian (Episcapalean) and that her faith is key to understanding the series. But she didn't want to discuss religious content in the series, because then people would be able to guess the ending. We have death/resurrection symbolism throughout the series. Buckbeak is "crucified" in book 3, and then he rescues Sirius when his death is reversed. We have Fawkes, the most blatant resurrection in the series. We have Lily's sacrifice, which protects Harry because of her BLOOD (the shedding of Blood as a sacrifice a HUGE theme in the Old Testament and ties in with Christ's atoning sacrifice in the NT.) Later Harry gives his Blood to enter Voldemort's cave. There has been tons of stuff written on this, for anyone interested I'd recommend John Granger (http:www.hogwartsprofessor.com)

It seems pretty obvious to me (I'm a Christian and have studied lots of religions), but it's fortunately not so blatant that it would alienate other readers. The Death/Resurrection motif in Christianity seems to play out nicely in alot of fantasy. Anyone remember Lord of the Rings? Narnia? The third Matrix film?
New User
eaglepatronus
0 Kudos

I totally agree phrodo1. I began reading the Harry Potter series this past spring because my 11 year old daughter was reading it and I was concerned because of all the controversy over the series that I had heard about. I knew that there were many Christian parents who had forbidden their children to read them. I felt it would be far better to read them together and discuss them than to ban them! And oh how glad I am to have made that choice. My daughter and I have had so much enjoyment, laughter and tears from Harry Potter. There are so many Christian/biblical themes throughout the series(as you pointed out)that we have been able to discuss. We have really had some great discussions all b/c of Harry Potter!
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Which question are you referring to Psychee?

Psychee wrote:
Actually, Harry lives in the UK, where there is no separation of Church and State. The Head (or "Chief Governor" ) of the Church is the Queen herself. I don't think this is a question that would even be raised there...

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
well i stand corrected,
maybe i stated it too directly?. actually im a catholic. and i think whatever harry potter's "religion" is, it's very similar to ours. So let me revise what i said .
i wouldnt know if all non catholics/christians celebrate christmas though -- so i apologize. anyway, as i understood the Deathly Hallows. Voldemort made 8 lives without him realizing it (of course, harry having the 8th part of the soul). harry's mother chose death in order to save harry. which is what Jesus Christ did. He died for mankind to save us from our sins. and he resurrected from the dead , as man, he is no longer visible but he lives in all of us for as long as we have faith. if you believe in him, or not. the key is to believe.-( accdg to catholic religion) ..Harry having 2 lives Voldemort's soul and his, which signifies him being human and him being possible to bethe savior of the wizarding world, chose to accept that he must sacrifice himself to save the wizarding world--means that a part of him died too. Remember JKR also said in an interview said that in the end Harry could no longer talk to snakes, and lost all voldemort similarities? to me, that symolizes a part of Harry died. remember when on book 6 when harry realized the diff of "being dragged into the arena to do battle and walking staright into that arena with his head held high"? the word is sacrifice. harry accepting his mission.
as for harry dying, there are all sorts of metaphor that a writer can use to convey what she means, to me that must be it. there are more symbolisms hidden here and there but that's the most obvious one i think. i love this book. and i hope we guys wont find over this thing. we may come from diff races, and literraly in different "houses" (haha!)( but our hearts beat as one. we all believe in one God. so the question on this is if Harry's a Christian or not? well with all the details in the book, although not directly stated-- to answer your question--he must be.

ps phrodo ! dont forget constantine!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, First, I know quite a few people who are not religious in the least who celebrate Christmas, I do not find him to be God like in the least. And he did not die. he survived the attack from Voldemort in the forest, and for a short amount of time was in a spiritual situation, but DD told him then he was not dead.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mrsronaldweasley wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message Edited by mrsronaldweasley on 08-16-2007 05:10 PM
Frequent Contributor
BnBookworm
0 Kudos

I'm so glad my topic is a hot thread, and I'm glad this is being discussed, because one of my classmates dad is "harry is anti christian" so my classmate can't read them, but he thinks HP sucks just cause his dad thinks it sucks.
Ninety percent of who you are is invisible
Imagination...is a form of seeing
Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
0 Kudos

i think hes a christian like so many here in america are. there are planty of ppl who celebrate christmas and easter, but havent the faintest idea of what those holidays are really for. they are comercial christians who "believe in God" but dont follow any of his teachings. they figure im not anything else, so i must be a christian. thats kinda the vibe I get from harry.
Julie
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

PattyBNUChick wrote:

Psychee wrote:

The question in the Thread title -- "Is Harry Christian Or Not?"
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Are you saying because there is no separation of church and state that everyone in England is a Christian? Or that no one would ever ask if Harry was a Christian because everyone is assumed Christian in England because the Church head is also the head of the Country?

Psychee wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:

Psychee wrote:

The question in the Thread title -- "Is Harry Christian Or Not?"

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

i actually read the book because i heard rumors that harry potter is being banned because it's anti-christ and i actually forgot, something bout demons.. it got my attention and just increased my curiosity. i mean it must be am interesting book if people are against it. i dont like people telling me what to do or what to believe in. thank god i read HP . otherwise.. i'll never get the chance to read one of the most wonderful pieces of literature ever written. plus i wont get a chance to meet people who's creative and imaginative like you guys. =)
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Just popping in to thank everyone so far for posting their thoughts in a carefully worded and respectful manner in this thread! You're a great group (but then, we all knew that already!). :smileywink:

~ConnieK

Message Edited by ConnieK on 08-17-2007 08:43 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

We were trained properly at Hogwarts, what more could you expect : )

ConnieK wrote:
Just popping in to thank everyone so far for posting their thoughts in a carefully worded and respectful manner in this thread! You're a great group (but then, we all knew that already!). :smileywink:

~ConnieK

Message Edited by ConnieK on 08-17-2007 08:43 AM

Distinguished Correspondent
PB684
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:
Actually, I think one could think of Harry as being of any religion one would want him to be assuming that that religion believed in the concept of a soul, in the idea that the souls of good people are immortal and "go on" to an Afterlife, and the concept that people should be kind to one another.

Pidgeonholing this character into one religion does the rest of the world an injustice, I think.

After reading all the posts on this thread I think I like your take on it the best Psychee. Being a Catholic myself I did notice quite a few references to religion, especially in later books, but I'm not the type to turn every discussion in that direction. I think that if a book...or an idea...can unite the world instead of dividing it then maybe we could be on a better path to understanding each other's beliefs and thus getting along. I think tolerance is probably a good lesson to take away from this series (i.e. Harry's dislike of the prejudice displayed by some of the pure bloods against the mudbloods).
PB684