Inspired Contributor
Spero

James Potter books

Has anyone read the James Potter books? So far I have seen three of them. They are written by G. Norman Lippert. Has the same people from HP and Hogwarts. First book starts as James gets on the train to Hogwarts for the first time, even has Harry in the book. The first one is as good as the Harry Potter books.
Spero
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy

Re: James Potter books

My daughter and I read them. Great books.

I do wonder if they would seem as good if I had not read HP and was not familiar with the characters.

Like to hear from people that have not read HP and see what they think.

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:

My daughter and I read them. Great books. 

I'm reading them now.  So far enjoying them, but it's clearly a different voice from JK's.  A different sense of humor, different descriptive language and even different details than she might have highlighted.  You don't know Rowling is a woman when you read HP, but you know Lippert is a man when you read JP, if that makes sense...

Impressive interpretation of her same world, though.  As Lippert himself points out, it's not pure canon, but it's a fantastic new chapter in the world she created; it could easily have been a good book written about the world she created without ever feeling like it was in that world...

RHWright
0 Kudos

I saw these and they seem like they might be worth a go.

However, I hesitate because of their nebulous status. Does anyone know JKR's feelings on such efforts? Admittedly, it kind of falls under fan fiction, but it has a much wider circulation than that story just being one obscure lace online.

Don't know why JKR's opinion on it matters to me; if she hasn't commented I would take it as fine, but if she has said she would prefer fan fiction not be widely circulated in general or called out this particular string of stories for some reason, that would probably turn me away from them.

Anyone more deeply involved in the various HP communities heard anything on this?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

However, I hesitate because of their nebulous status. Does anyone know JKR's feelings on such efforts? Admittedly, it kind of falls under fan fiction, but it has a much wider circulation than that story just being one obscure lace online.

From alll reports she approves of these.  

I don't generally point to wikipedia as a reliable source, but their coverage is pretty thorough on this one...

RHWright
0 Kudos

Thanks, Ya_Ya, that puts my mind at ease. Guess I'll have to add a few more books to the pile...

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

Guess I'll have to add a few more books to the pile...

I'm about 2/3 through the first book (dratted work getting inthe way of my reading!) and I have to say, if Lippert were representative of self-publishing authors, I'd read self-pubbed stuff.

I've had enough bad experiences trying out self-published stuff that I generally won't even read free self-pubbed stuff any more, but I made an exception for these.

I'm really, really impressed.  

Inspired Contributor
Spero
0 Kudos

In between the second and third book, he wrote a short book that ties into the third book titled The Girl on the Dock. It's a good short book that ties the second book to the third book together. I'm reading the third book of James Potter. I'd recomend reading The Girl on the Dock inbetween the second and third book. You can find The Girl on the Dock on B&N site by doing a search fo it.
Spero
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Spero wrote:
In between the second and third book, he wrote a short book that ties into the third book titled The Girl on the Dock. It's a good short book that ties the second book to the third book together. 

I really enjoyed the first two books.

I thought The Girl on the Dock   was a good book, not a great book, and now that I'm into the third JP, I'm not as excited about it as the first two.  I'm not sure I care enough about the character of Petra Morgan to enjoy this book...

I'll keep reading; it is well-written, just focused on characters, events and setting that leave me feeling "eh."

I do fully intend to purchase more of Lippert's books, though.  

Inspired Wordsmith
Intrigued_by_Romance
0 Kudos

Thanks for pointing out these books for James Potter.  I didn't even knew they existed.

I will have to add them to my collection.

Inspired Wordsmith
Intrigued_by_Romance
0 Kudos

I have read 2 of the 3 books out there. At first I was a bit skeptical but once I started reading them I was intrigued. It is really interesting the way the story is written, because it feels like it is the missing story before Harry Potter. I agree, the books are really good! I can't believe the books were free. I understand why he did it, and I would be interested in reading more from the author.