Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
Super_Reader
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

MIDNIGHT MAGIC

hey people, has anyone else heard about the parties that Barnes&Noble will be having on July 20th? it's like a harry potter convention/celebration/booksell thing. its a costume party, too. anyone considering it? it sounds FUN, but im not sure if i should just go the next day.

ADVICE!!!!!!
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
Posts: 3,319
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: MIDNIGHT MAGIC

Actually I'm only interested in getting the book and high-tailing it out of there so I can go home and read all night BUT, I'm wondering, I've never gone to B&N at midnight before, is the parking lot absolutely packed and you have to park far away? My barnes and noble is fairly far away from anything else and so I wonder if Im going to be walking far at 1am...



Super_Reader wrote:
hey people, has anyone else heard about the parties that Barnes&Noble will be having on July 20th? it's like a harry potter convention/celebration/booksell thing. its a costume party, too. anyone considering it? it sounds FUN, but im not sure if i should just go the next day.

ADVICE!!!!!!


Contributor
Kristaren
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: MIDNIGHT MAGIC

I went to one when #6 came out (not in costume mind you) and it was pretty entertaining. It is interesting to see people from the many different walks of life that are all united under a common interest. It is REALLY interesting to see those who go “all out” in costume. I personally am not the costume-type but I may look into at least buying a “muggle” t-shirt or maybe a “Snape’s not evil” shirt :smileysurprised:) No matter what – it’s a fun time – I say go for it!
Frequent Contributor
gniff
Posts: 295
Registered: ‎06-08-2007
0 Kudos

Re: MIDNIGHT MAGIC


PattyBNUChick wrote:
Actually I'm only interested in getting the book and high-tailing it out of there so I can go home and read all night BUT, I'm wondering, I've never gone to B&N at midnight before, is the parking lot absolutely packed and you have to park far away? My barnes and noble is fairly far away from anything else and so I wonder if Im going to be walking far at 1am...


Well, the individual stores are probably free to do what they want, but last time out my B&N started handing out numbered bracelets starting at about 5 PM. The bracelets had to be cut off, and you only got one (they checked your name off the reservation list). But then you were free to find a chair (if there was one left) or a spot on the windowsill or on the floor in the stacks, or even to go for dinner next door. The numbers were random, so getting in early didn't get you a better spot. At about 20 minutes to midnight, they started getting people ready, bringing the first 50 into the 'labyrinth' of tables and ropes-on-poles. At the stroke of midnight, they cut the seals on the top layer of boxes stacked behind the registers and started selling. Of course, there was a countdown to Alohamora! and some other business.

I don't know when they actually closed. When I left at about 00:40, there were groups of kids sitting in circles on the floor, reading. I did have to walk halfway across the shopping center to get to my car; that was the closest I could park at about 21:45 that night.

This time I'm taking the day off work and getting there early in the hope of getting a seat that I can hold onto. My handle is short for greyniffler, which I've used elsewhere. I really do have grey hair, and while I might not have earned it, my back doesn't like me standing for several hours.
__________________________________________
... and then you just have to play algebra ...
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
Posts: 3,319
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: MIDNIGHT MAGIC

I called this B&N for book 6 and they said to come around 12:45, the line should be shorter then. I shouldn't have listedn to her, I called them at 12:30 and they said 'Oh we're done and already closed'. I was so bummed.



gniff wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:
Actually I'm only interested in getting the book and high-tailing it out of there so I can go home and read all night BUT, I'm wondering, I've never gone to B&N at midnight before, is the parking lot absolutely packed and you have to park far away? My barnes and noble is fairly far away from anything else and so I wonder if Im going to be walking far at 1am...


Well, the individual stores are probably free to do what they want, but last time out my B&N started handing out numbered bracelets starting at about 5 PM. The bracelets had to be cut off, and you only got one (they checked your name off the reservation list). But then you were free to find a chair (if there was one left) or a spot on the windowsill or on the floor in the stacks, or even to go for dinner next door. The numbers were random, so getting in early didn't get you a better spot. At about 20 minutes to midnight, they started getting people ready, bringing the first 50 into the 'labyrinth' of tables and ropes-on-poles. At the stroke of midnight, they cut the seals on the top layer of boxes stacked behind the registers and started selling. Of course, there was a countdown to Alohamora! and some other business.

I don't know when they actually closed. When I left at about 00:40, there were groups of kids sitting in circles on the floor, reading. I did have to walk halfway across the shopping center to get to my car; that was the closest I could park at about 21:45 that night.

This time I'm taking the day off work and getting there early in the hope of getting a seat that I can hold onto. My handle is short for greyniffler, which I've used elsewhere. I really do have grey hair, and while I might not have earned it, my back doesn't like me standing for several hours.


New User
Jessesmom
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: MIDNIGHT MAGIC

We've been to two now. We have a really good time. When OOTP came out, my son was 4 and he got a big kick out of all the people in costumes. They had all sorts of activities like trivia contests, wand making, scavenger hunts, pictures, "Magical" treats at the Starbucks. When we got there we all were put into a house, and they were for different areas of the store. Then you went to that area to get your book.

We got Harry Potter glasses (which my son, now 8 still loves to wear) and we play with them a lot. The last party was just as much fun with people in costumes, etc. Good thing my husband goes as a Wizard every Halloween, we've got the costume already! Jesse will have to get a costume this time! We talked with the folks at our local B&N and they are thinking about having a carnival in the parking lot! That would sure be fun. They have free pictures with the stand up cardboard characters with props that have the date and so on. Jesse got them all out recently. He is now about 20 chapters into HBP so he can finish in time for the next party! He wants his own copy! I can't believe we are going to have buy everyone in the house their own!

But, in the end, it is fun to go to parties. Even if you don't dress up (as I haven't yet) there are all sorts of people dressed up. It is worth going to watch all the fans getting excited. Just think, the last book will only be released once. You can tell your grandkids that you stayed up all night waiting for the book to come out and then read it all night. The books will be around for years to come. You don't want to miss the event!!!!
Frequent Contributor
amm1
Posts: 702
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: MIDNIGHT MAGIC

I've heard stories of people having the ending of HBP ruined for them by people buying the books and then blurting out what happend. I'm not taking a chance. I'll buy mine at midnight from a local store and just to be sure, I'll have my DH go inside and buy it for me.
Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
Posts: 474
Registered: ‎02-01-2007
0 Kudos

Re: MIDNIGHT MAGIC

im thinkin about going, just to get my book, not to be in costume or anything, no offense but i think ppl who go in costume are kinda lame, unless they r little kids then its cute, but when theres a 40 year old woman dressd as a 16 year old...thats a completely different thing all together. like i said i dont mean to offened if u wanna do it go head but im not.
Julie
Frequent Contributor
chococutedani
Posts: 68
Registered: ‎06-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: MIDNIGHT MAGIC

[ Edited ]
this is actually going to be my first midnight party things.i idnt kno they existed. it sounds reallyreally fun. besides, like someone else already emtioned, its fun to see ppl who have come together for the same reason as u. all im going to do, is try and buy some robes, and make my hair wavy. i dont have to worry about the poofy hair or brains thing, cause i already got it.....lol....

Message Edited by rkubie on 06-29-2007 12:05 AM
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
Posts: 510
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: MIDNIGHT MAGIC

I enjoy dressing in my Slytherin get-up and acting all sinister-like. :3
I also make a good Hermione.


Sent a letter in the mail in braille to Johnny Quest
Send me back my Etch-a-Sketch!
Frequent Contributor
Stacey_C
Posts: 121
Registered: ‎02-20-2007
0 Kudos

Re: MIDNIGHT MAGIC

each store has a bunch of activities that they are doing (check out the events page for your store, its on here some place, i dont remember where, maybe using store locater). the parties will be starting earlier in the evening and then at 12 they start selling the book, so if you havent pre-ordered your book (which i HIGHLY recomend you do, i have a "smaller" store in my town, and they were over 300 pre-ordereds a month back or so, and thats with at least 3 places in town taking pre-orders for the book) i'd get there as soon as the party starts to get your wrist band so you get a book. if you have pre-ordered, you can proabaly get there a little later, but the line is still going to be nuts. I think my store said they were done selling books by 12:30, so get there before 12 to get your book that first night. But it should be fun. I've seen some of the things my store is doing and i'm really excited :-D. But just ask your BN store, they will have details soon, if they dont already have them posted. but pre-order, its really the only way to make sure you get a book, and we all know we dont want to show up and not go home with one, not sure i could wait till Saturday morning to read it hehe.
Scribe
Kevin
Posts: 774
Registered: ‎09-23-2006
0 Kudos

Re: MIDNIGHT MAGIC

Hi, everyone ...

Thanks for the thread about our Midnight Magic Costume Parties. You're right that Barnes & Noble stores nationwide will be having parties on Friday night, July 20.

In fact, we just launched a new page that discusses the parties, and links to our store locator, which has information about the individual stores. (You'll also see that we're planning a live webcast of the party here at our Union Square store in New York.)

The parties are a lot of fun, and a great way to celebrate the release with other fans.

Find it here: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/midnightmagic/
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: MIDNIGHT MAGIC

Hey, People--

I went to the link Kevin provides here and put in my zip code to find out my local info. My local Midnight Magic festivities begin at 8 p.m., and I'm in the Eastern U.S. What about yours? Let us know!

~ConnieK

"30 today & going down to 29 tomorrow!" (nyahk, nyahk)



Kevin wrote:
Hi, everyone ...

Thanks for the thread about our Midnight Magic Costume Parties. You're right that Barnes & Noble stores nationwide will be having parties on Friday night, July 20.

In fact, we just launched a new page that discusses the parties, and links to our store locator, which has information about the individual stores. (You'll also see that we're planning a live webcast of the party here at our Union Square store in New York.)

The parties are a lot of fun, and a great way to celebrate the release with other fans.

Find it here: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/midnightmagic/


~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
Posts: 510
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: MIDNIGHT MAGIC

7:30 pm here- I'm in Central US.


Sent a letter in the mail in braille to Johnny Quest
Send me back my Etch-a-Sketch!
New User
jazzybabe7
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎06-20-2007
0 Kudos

Re: MIDNIGHT MAGIC

I'm definitely going
I'm Going to be Luna Lovegood
She rules!!
~*3Nirali*3~
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: MIDNIGHT MAGIC

[ Edited ]
What time does yours start, and in what part of the country, jazzybabe? (ED: Oh, and I love Luna, too--great character!). I've known a Luna or 2 in my time. :smileywink:

~ConnieK, "30"




jazzybabe7 wrote:
I'm definitely going
I'm Going to be Luna Lovegood
She rules!!



Message Edited by ConnieK on 06-20-2007 05:37 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Stacey_C
Posts: 121
Registered: ‎02-20-2007
0 Kudos

Re: MIDNIGHT MAGIC

My store's starts at 9, so a little later than most it looks like, but i think it'll be crazy enough as it is hehe. And i'm sooooooo excited, i just found out i'm "running" one of the events. I spent some time on it tonight and i think it'll work out well. I'll have to tell y'all all about it after the event.
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
Posts: 1,041
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: MIDNIGHT MAGIC

Mine's 7pm EDT. I'm sure your pary will turn out great, sec4582!



sec4582 wrote:
My store's starts at 9, so a little later than most it looks like, but i think it'll be crazy enough as it is hehe. And i'm sooooooo excited, i just found out i'm "running" one of the events. I spent some time on it tonight and i think it'll work out well. I'll have to tell y'all all about it after the event.


Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Frequent Contributor
Science-Faire
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎05-24-2007
0 Kudos

Re: MIDNIGHT MAGIC

My party starts at 7pm Central and I'm getting so excited! I am also a little nervous because I've also heard the rumors that people had the ending of HBP spoiled for them, and I don't want that to happen to me. I'll probably show up at about 11:30pm just to get my book, and I'll wear my iPod for extra security! :smileyhappy:
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: MIDNIGHT MAGIC

[ Edited ]
Yes, sec! You've got to tell us about the party at your store and especially the event you run (I know you won't spoil it first before the event)! I always think it looks like so much fun for the little kids (that's who I go to watch, to be honest), but the grown-ups have a good time, too! I think I just enjoy the atmosphere of the whole thing--and the fact that it's all in celebration of BOOKS. THAT'S the fun for me.

~ConnieK, "29--again--and lovin' it!"




sec4582 wrote:
My store's starts at 9, so a little later than most it looks like, but i think it'll be crazy enough as it is hehe. And i'm sooooooo excited, i just found out i'm "running" one of the events. I spent some time on it tonight and i think it'll work out well. I'll have to tell y'all all about it after the event.



Message Edited by ConnieK on 06-21-2007 08:17 AM
~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]