Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Bookfreak101
0 Kudos

Malfoys family

In the Chamber of Secrets the Draco Malfoy and his father go into Knockturn Alley to Borgon and Burkes shop to sell some poisons to the owner of the shop that would make him look bad if the ministry searched his house. What else do you think the malfoys have in there house that they could used to harm people?
Frequent Contributor
gealbhan
0 Kudos

Re: Malfoys family

I don't know, but I do think they've gotten rid of most of it by now. There's probably just creepy old Malfoy family heirlooms and stuff left, like in Grimmauld Place.
Frequent Contributor
Bookfreak101
0 Kudos

gealbhan wrote:
I don't know, but I do think they've gotten rid of most of it by now. There's probably just creepy old Malfoy family heirlooms and stuff left, like in Grimmauld Place.

yah thats true i would have gotten rid of most of the stuff by now too. I think they may still have a few tricks up there sleave though they may even have another one of voldomorts horocux in there place and not even no it but i doubt that. its still a possibility. sorry about my spelling i suck at spelling
Frequent Contributor
gealbhan
0 Kudos

That's an idea...but would V. still trust the Malfoys with one of his horcruxes? He's REALLY mad at Lucius right now. Another thing I'm wondering about the Malfoys is Draco's alignment as far as good vs. evil. As I've said elsewhere, he seemed really disillusioned with Dark magic by the end of HBP, and I think he was seriously considering Dumbledore's offer when the rest of the Death Eaters came in. Personally, I think he's gone to the good side and either he's going to have to kill his father or the other way around. Opinions?
Frequent Contributor
Bookfreak101
0 Kudos

yes i think that Malfoys going to be punished very badly by voldomort for failing to kill dumbledore himself and he may even have to kill a family member or he may even get killed himself. I dont like malfoy even if he does turn nice cuz he has always been mean to harry i think maybe in the last book he tryes and helps harry find the horocux or if he nos where one is get rid of one.
Frequent Contributor
lacalladita
0 Kudos

I think Lucius had more of Voldemort's school things. Dumbledore tells Lucius towards the end of COS that more of Voldemort's school things had better not fall into the public hands. And Borgin tells himself after Lucius leaves his shop in COS that there are rumors as to what Lucius is hiding in his home.

Bookfreak101 wrote:
In the Chamber of Secrets the Draco Malfoy and his father go into Knockturn Alley to Borgon and Burkes shop to sell some poisons to the owner of the shop that would make him look bad if the ministry searched his house. What else do you think the malfoys have in there house that they could used to harm people?

Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Psychee posted this in another thread, but I'm moving it here and continuing...

Any speculation about what Dobby would know about the Malfoys that would aid Harry in Deathly Hallows? I know at one point Draco said something (maybe it was in COS when Harry and Ron were Polyjuiced as Crabbe and Goyle?) about having a safe (or vault?) in their house. I know the ministry searched it twice in COS or HBP perhaps, but didnt find anything extra. But I wonder if Mr Weasley's dept didn't search their safe.

Psychee wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:
Dobby told Harry (i can't remember what book) that Dobby knows some of Dumbledore's secrets and keeps them or something like that. Perhaps Dobby can tell Harry some of Dumbledore's secrets that would help Harry in his hunt for the horcruxes or other things...

This is a bit off-topic for this thread, but Dobby also knew things from the Malfoys, such as the fact that the diary had been made while Riddle could be "freely named", and that the Dark Lord had powers that no good wizard would ever use. I thnk Dobby could provide a wealth of information... as could Kreacher...

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Harry told Mr. Weasley all he knew and Mr. Weasley checked that house twice, including the secret place... I don't think there is an object there.

I'm thinking more that Dobby might know where the Dark Lord hangs out; he might know how the DE's become invisible and what other powers they might have that no good wizard would ever use; he might know who is a DE undercover as a good guy or as a Ministry person.

Those dark powers are especially the kind of thing that Harry needs to know about -- even if he doesn't use them himself, he needs to prepare for them to be used against him.

He might also know where some of the Horcruxes are...
Frequent Contributor
princesspotter
0 Kudos

I agree that Dobby will help Harry in any way. Just as he did when he told Harry about the Room of Requirement.
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

By secret place, are you talking about the safe? Was that in the book? I must have missed it. At Christmas, Mr Weasley says "I checked Hary...I went and searched the Malfoy's house. There was nothing, either broken or whole, that shouldn't have been there. I don't remember there being a safe mentioned, but if you know which chapter or event Mr Weasley talked to Harry about it other than Xmas, I'll have a look in the books.

Psychee wrote:
Harry told Mr. Weasley all he knew and Mr. Weasley checked that house twice, including the secret place... I don't think there is an object there.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

My memory is fuzzy on this....

They took that polyjuice in 2nd year; at that time, the Ministry was looking for Dark Objects to confiscate and that was one of the reasons why Malfoy decided to use the diary at that time-- to get that object out of the house. I don't remember a safe -- wasn't it something like a secret place under the floorboards?

They searched the Malfoy home again after LV came back... but maybe we just saw a glimpse of a newspaper in the beginning of HBP... and then Harry told him about Draco and he searched the house again for Harry...

I think....
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

HBP page 234, Hermione reads from the newspaper, but it mentions nothing about where they searched within the house. And you were right about COS, its not a safe or at least its not specified like that via Draco. COS page 224 he says "Luckily they didn't find much. Father's got some very valuable Dark Arts stuff. But luckily, we've got our own secret chamber under the drawing-room floor". So I wonder, I don't know if the Ministry found it, but if they didn't, what's down there.

Psychee wrote:
My memory is fuzzy on this....

They took that polyjuice in 2nd year; at that time, the Ministry was looking for Dark Objects to confiscate and that was one of the reasons why Malfoy decided to use the diary at that time-- to get that object out of the house. I don't remember a safe -- wasn't it something like a secret place under the floorboards?

They searched the Malfoy home again after LV came back... but maybe we just saw a glimpse of a newspaper in the beginning of HBP... and then Harry told him about Draco and he searched the house again for Harry...

I think....

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

The Ministry also raided the house looking for objects when Lucius was put in Azkaban. Mr. Weasley told Harry that just before he got on the Hogwarts Express that year.

So Ron had three years to tell his father about the secret hiding place before the Ministry got there... I doubt he would forget...