Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
Posts: 793
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Off Topic Cafe

Voldy wanted six horcruxes for a seven part soul (Six hurcruxes + Voldy)
He got seven Horcruxes, for an eight part soul.
And yeah, the idea of an accidental horcrux still sounds insane to me, even with her explanation.



ABI wrote:
I thought Harry was the 7th accidental horcrux...he made six right? And Harry was a mistake...maybe he was looking for a 7th before he died...




BnBookworm wrote:

Hey, I just thought of something. LV wanted 7 Horcruxes, but he made 8 accidentally. Maybe If he had had only seven he would have had more luck. I need to think about this for a while...


"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
Posts: 2,577
Registered: ‎07-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: New Off Topic Cafe

Yeah, your right, of course! I suppose Dumbledore at King's Cross kinda through me off (just reread that chapter), as he said "Harry, you're the 7th horcrux" or something alike to that...
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
Posts: 2,577
Registered: ‎07-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: New Off Topic Cafe

rkubie wrote:

Okay, time to take a breath, pull up a chair, and remember life outside of HP!


Er...do I have a life outside of HP? It just sort of amazes me how many people make the time to post all this...is everyone as pathetic as me? I mean, I should be out with friends at my age (i'm not even 17 yet) and yet i'm beside the computer... Ha, who am i kidding, I love doing this!!!!! HP NEVER GET'S OLD!!!

---iris---or, more commonly known, ABI
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
Posts: 3,319
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Off Topic Cafe

I saw a theory on John Granger's site about maybe Voldemort possessed the victim before he killed them and so maybe Harry's horcrux was just that when the AK backfired, Voldemort was stuck possessing Harry. That seemed actually plausible to me, but having an explosion and a piece of soul chunk fly across the room and jam into his head seems a bit much even for the Dark Countess : ) It almost seemed Hollywoodish vs Rowlingish.



ShadowCougar wrote:
Voldy wanted six horcruxes for a seven part soul (Six hurcruxes + Voldy)
He got seven Horcruxes, for an eight part soul.
And yeah, the idea of an accidental horcrux still sounds insane to me, even with her explanation.



ABI wrote:
I thought Harry was the 7th accidental horcrux...he made six right? And Harry was a mistake...maybe he was looking for a 7th before he died...




BnBookworm wrote:

Hey, I just thought of something. LV wanted 7 Horcruxes, but he made 8 accidentally. Maybe If he had had only seven he would have had more luck. I need to think about this for a while...





Frequent Contributor
hihi
Posts: 573
Registered: ‎06-12-2007
0 Kudos

Re: New Off Topic Cafe

Well, you know the letter I sent to Orlando Florida Resorts? Well, I got a letter back. They cannot use anything unless they suggested it. But, they sent me a dragon. I named it Luna Lovedragon, after my favorite character in the book.
Frequent Contributor
Solitud
Posts: 185
Registered: ‎02-06-2007
0 Kudos

Re: New Off Topic Cafe

Hello!!!! I'm back!

The first thing I want to say is that I am totally annoyed with myself for misspelling my username. It should be Solitude (I missed that 'e' at the end), I realized that as I was reading Deathly Hollows!!!

Second, I can tell you all that I could start reading the book while on vacation. However, I got the book delivered late (the 24th) and when we left to come back home I had read up to the 24th chapter. I read the rest yesterday when we finally got our mail delivered. I believe I partially neglected my duties as a mother and housewife for all day yesterday. I did feed them and played a little with them, but in between all I read the book- I just could not stop!!! My husband had been able to finish it before we traveled back home (I had told you he reads faster than me) so I could not wait any longer to be able to discuss the events with him.

****SPOILER FROM HERE ON!!********

I was beaming after I read it, it was phenomenal!!! How Voldemort was horcrux for Harry and that kept him alive!

I want to congratulate all those who believed Snape to be good. You all had me convinced, since I always thought he was really evil. Yet, I started reading this last book thinking of him as evil, just in case- I did not want to have my hopes up of him being good and end up dsiappointed. Now I feel sad at the way he ended, not even dueling, just there, alone like he lived, betrayed- in a way- by both sides.

Also I congratulate those (including myself) who believed Harry was a horcrux, albeit unintended.

Sorry Patty your McGonagal idea did not happen. I was glad to see her duel to her fame. I also loved to see Molly dueling!

I did not think I would cry while reading, but I did. It was when I read about Neville's grandmother and how proud she was of him.

Well, I must get back to real life, today is all laundry day. Perhaps, sometime during the weekend I'll get to read all the comments you have all posted throughout these days.

BYE!
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
Posts: 3,319
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Off Topic Cafe

Ah well. I saw clues, just didn't go anywhere : ) I always thought maybe there was a solitude userid already in use, so you took the e off : )



Solitud wrote:
Hello!!!! I'm back!

The first thing I want to say is that I am totally annoyed with myself for misspelling my username. It should be Solitude (I missed that 'e' at the end), I realized that as I was reading Deathly Hollows!!!
Sorry Patty your McGonagal idea did not happen.

ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
Posts: 2,577
Registered: ‎07-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: New Off Topic Cafe

You know, i'm reading again HBP, and my love for teacher-snape is renewed! I love him! Especially his voice, so dripping with sarcasm: "You're late, Potter---10 points from Gryfindor(can't spell!)." ---frankly, i think what's his face who played him in the movies was just brilliant!
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
Posts: 2,577
Registered: ‎07-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: New Off Topic Cafe

Oh, yeah, i know this has already been mentioned, but another really good movie featuring what's-his-face (guy who plays snape) is Love Actually. He is always such a lovable git!
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
Posts: 474
Registered: ‎02-01-2007
0 Kudos

Re: New Off Topic Cafe

im leavin for good, good bye to u all!!! especially those who were in teh original possey, u know who u are: patty, bobbieann, pychee...the others who i cant remember how to spell yalls names n i dont wanna mess them up...bye bye!
Julie
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: New Off Topic Cafe



jftapia88 wrote:
im leavin for good, good bye to u all!!! especially those who were in teh original possey, u know who u are: patty, bobbieann, pychee...the others who i cant remember how to spell yalls names n i dont wanna mess them up...bye bye!




Bye, Julie! We'll miss you!
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
Posts: 3,319
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Off Topic Cafe

By Julie and Thanks : ) I keep meaning to leave too, but part of the reason I'm staying is I keep hanging on, hoping there will be a post some day that says "Rowling has answered 5,000 questions - go to this website' ; ) Maybe we'll see you again some day when the encyclopedia Potter comes out : )



jftapia88 wrote:
im leavin for good, good bye to u all!!! especially those who were in teh original possey, u know who u are: patty, bobbieann, pychee...the others who i cant remember how to spell yalls names n i dont wanna mess them up...bye bye!


B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
Posts: 793
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Off Topic Cafe

Aww Patty, you can't leave us! No one leave! Stay till they kick us out!



PattyBNUChick wrote:
By Julie and Thanks : ) I keep meaning to leave too, but part of the reason I'm staying is I keep hanging on, hoping there will be a post some day that says "Rowling has answered 5,000 questions - go to this website' ; ) Maybe we'll see you again some day when the encyclopedia Potter comes out : )



jftapia88 wrote:
im leavin for good, good bye to u all!!! especially those who were in teh original possey, u know who u are: patty, bobbieann, pychee...the others who i cant remember how to spell yalls names n i dont wanna mess them up...bye bye!





"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
Posts: 3,319
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Off Topic Cafe

... Um...OK! : )



ShadowCougar wrote:
Aww Patty, you can't leave us! No one leave! Stay till they kick us out!



PattyBNUChick wrote:
By Julie and Thanks : ) I keep meaning to leave too, but part of the reason I'm staying is I keep hanging on, hoping there will be a post some day that says "Rowling has answered 5,000 questions - go to this website' ; ) Maybe we'll see you again some day when the encyclopedia Potter comes out : )



jftapia88 wrote:
im leavin for good, good bye to u all!!! especially those who were in teh original possey, u know who u are: patty, bobbieann, pychee...the others who i cant remember how to spell yalls names n i dont wanna mess them up...bye bye!








ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
Posts: 2,577
Registered: ‎07-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: New Off Topic Cafe

The problem is, our topics are seriously becoming scarce. What we need is some really ignorant person to come over and ask ridiculous questions...or a rumor to start that she's writing another HP book. Ha...i wish.
Well, i'm staying for now---might leave and return after the airing of the encyclopedia... unless this board closes down before then...





PattyBNUChick wrote:

... Um...OK! : )


ShadowCougar wrote:
Aww Patty, you can't leave us! No one leave! Stay till they kick us out!


PattyBNUChick wrote:
By Julie and Thanks : ) I keep meaning to leave too, but part of the reason I'm staying is I keep hanging on, hoping there will be a post some day that says "Rowling has answered 5,000 questions - go to this website' ; ) Maybe we'll see you again some day when the encyclopedia Potter comes out : )


jftapia88 wrote:
im leavin for good, good bye to u all!!! especially those who were in teh original possey, u know who u are: patty, bobbieann, pychee...the others who i cant remember how to spell yalls names n i dont wanna mess them up...bye bye!
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
Posts: 3,319
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Off Topic Cafe

I'm fairly ignorant at times lol. Actually, Ive read the book twice and I can't remember how they got the sword back?!



ABI wrote:
The problem is, our topics are seriously becoming scarce. What we need is some really ignorant person to come over and ask ridiculous questions...or a rumor to start that she's writing another HP book. Ha...i wish.
Well, i'm staying for now---might leave and return after the airing of the encyclopedia... unless this board closes down before then...





PattyBNUChick wrote:

... Um...OK! : )


ShadowCougar wrote:
Aww Patty, you can't leave us! No one leave! Stay till they kick us out!


PattyBNUChick wrote:
By Julie and Thanks : ) I keep meaning to leave too, but part of the reason I'm staying is I keep hanging on, hoping there will be a post some day that says "Rowling has answered 5,000 questions - go to this website' ; ) Maybe we'll see you again some day when the encyclopedia Potter comes out : )


jftapia88 wrote:
im leavin for good, good bye to u all!!! especially those who were in teh original possey, u know who u are: patty, bobbieann, pychee...the others who i cant remember how to spell yalls names n i dont wanna mess them up...bye bye!


Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: New Off Topic Cafe



PattyBNUChick wrote:
I'm fairly ignorant at times lol. Actually, Ive read the book twice and I can't remember how they got the sword back?!





"They" didn't get the sword back. Neville pulled it out of the Sorting Hat after he fulfilled the two requirements -- he showed VALOR and had NEED of it to kill the snake. Presumably, it just apparated out of the goblin's possession when it felt itself called to duty.
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
Posts: 2,577
Registered: ‎07-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: New Off Topic Cafe

You know, i really, really hate Griphook. The sword didn't belong to him anyway; it belonged to generations of "true" Gryfinndorrs in need of it, whatever twisted convictions the goblins have gotten into their heads: "Only a true gryffindor could pull that sword out of the hat, Harry." Ahhh, i love dumbledore. Hope the Griongotts goblins realized who he was and fed him to the dragon (when/if they found him)...
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
Posts: 3,319
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Off Topic Cafe

That's right, thanks : )


Psychee wrote:


PattyBNUChick wrote:
I'm fairly ignorant at times lol. Actually, Ive read the book twice and I can't remember how they got the sword back?!





"They" didn't get the sword back. Neville pulled it out of the Sorting Hat after he fulfilled the two requirements -- he showed VALOR and had NEED of it to kill the snake. Presumably, it just apparated out of the goblin's possession when it felt itself called to duty.


Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
Posts: 474
Registered: ‎02-01-2007
0 Kudos

Re: New Off Topic Cafe

i know thats why i prolly wont be getting on anymore, not really for good but rarely will you see me. plus classes are about to start up again and i really need to concentrate on school this semester. i got really lazy last spring, with all the excitement of the boards and stuff, i let my gpa drop and i need to bring it back up.

ABI wrote:
The problem is, our topics are seriously becoming scarce. What we need is some really ignorant person to come over and ask ridiculous questions...or a rumor to start that she's writing another HP book. Ha...i wish.
Well, i'm staying for now---might leave and return after the airing of the encyclopedia... unless this board closes down before then...





PattyBNUChick wrote:

... Um...OK! : )


ShadowCougar wrote:
Aww Patty, you can't leave us! No one leave! Stay till they kick us out!


PattyBNUChick wrote:
By Julie and Thanks : ) I keep meaning to leave too, but part of the reason I'm staying is I keep hanging on, hoping there will be a post some day that says "Rowling has answered 5,000 questions - go to this website' ; ) Maybe we'll see you again some day when the encyclopedia Potter comes out : )


jftapia88 wrote:
im leavin for good, good bye to u all!!! especially those who were in teh original possey, u know who u are: patty, bobbieann, pychee...the others who i cant remember how to spell yalls names n i dont wanna mess them up...bye bye!

Julie