Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
amm1
0 Kudos

Re: New way for Dumbledore to talk to Harry in Deathly Hallows

[ Edited ]
Portrait

All the paintings we have seen at Hogwarts are of dead people. They seem to be living through their portraits. How is this so? If there was a painting of Harry’s parents, would he be able to obtain advice from them?

That is a very good question. They are all of dead people; they are not as fully realised as ghosts, as you have probably noticed. The place where you see them really talk is in Dumbledore’s office, primarily; the idea is that the previous headmasters and headmistresses leave behind a faint imprint of themselves. They leave their aura, almost, in the office and they can give some counsel to the present occupant, but it is not like being a ghost. They repeat catchphrases, almost. The portrait of Sirius’ mother is not a very 3D personality; she is not very fully realised. She repeats catchphrases that she had when she was alive. If Harry had a portrait of his parents it would not help him a great deal. If he could meet them as ghosts, that would be a much more meaningful interaction, but as Nick explained at the end of Phoenix—I am straying into dangerous territory, but I think you probably know what he explained—there are some people who would not come back as ghosts because they are unafraid, or less afraid, of death.

http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/en/news_view.cfm?id=80

Two Way Mirror

Kelpie_8: Will the two way mirror Sirius gave Harry ever show up again?

JK Rowling replies -> Ooooo good question. There's your answer.

http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/2004/0304-wbd.htm

Section: F.A.Q.
(SPOILER WARNING)
Why did Harry have to forget the mirror he had been given by Sirius in 'Order of the Phoenix'?

I can’t give a full answer to this, because it is relevant to books six and seven. However, the short answer is that Harry was determined never to use the mirror, as is clearly stated in chapter 24: ‘he knew he would never use whatever it was’. For once in Harry’s life, he does not succumb to curiosity, he hides the mirror and the temptation away from himself, and then, when it might have been useful, he has forgotten it.

The mirror might not have helped as much as you think, but on the other hand, will help more than you think. You’ll have to read the final books to understand that!

http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/en/faq_view.cfm?id=22

MA: And perhaps, being Sirius’s brother, he had another mirror –

JKR: [drums fingers on soda can]

MA: Does he have the other mirror, or Sirius’s mirror —

JKR: I have no comment at all on that mirror. That mirror is not on the table. [Laughter from all; Jo's is maniacal.]

MA: Let the record note that she has drummed her fingers on her Coke can in a very Mr. Burns-like way.
http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/2005/0705-tlc_mugglenet-anelli-2.htm

----------

Dumbledore

Dumbledore is DEAD. It's time to move on.

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by amm1 on 06-21-2007 04:56 PM
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

Amm1 you're great with the quotes for me here lately....I'm at work and B&N is about the only worthwhile site I can pull up.

The coke can quote seem to give a glimmer of hope on my Regulus still lives theory :smileyhappy:.
Contributor
KickedAbyss
0 Kudos

MattW wrote:
Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the correct thread - or even if what I'm saying has been discussed already in another thread - but I have a question about Dumbledore.

Okay, JK Rowling has already said that he's dead, but that doesn't mean that he can't still communicate with Harry in some way. In either SS or CoS, Dumbledore says that all of the past Hogwarts headmasters' portraits hang on his office wall. Since Dumbledore's no longer a headmaster, wouldn't he get a portrait in the office that McGonagall now occupies, and wouldn't he be able to move around/communicate like the other portraits can? Maybe pictures/portraits only have limited communiation, but I thought I'd throw that theory out there!

Ohho! Indeed I say!!! BUT as others have mentioned here, they have limited speech... Then again, that's all we've seen, aside from the fact that a couple of times in the office (no books on hand, so I cannot quote it) Harry and others have almost seemed to sense/hear the portraits talking... Such as when they all listen to conversations.

Another thing is that we should not underestimate Dumbledore. He'd known from the time he found the Ring that he was going to die, and there is no way on God's Green earth (Or JK's world) that he would not have left something behind to help. He was never that near sighted, IMHO.

"Surprising what you can dig out of books if you read long enough, isn't it?" -- Rand Al'Thor