Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
killercactus
0 Kudos

New way for Dumbledore to talk to Harry in Deathly Hallows

I believe, if he got the chance, Harry (or someone else) could perform Priori Incantantem on Snape's wand, and he could speak to Dumbledore. In GoF, Cedric, Frank Bryce, Bertha Jorkins, and his parents all came out of Voldy's wand and spoke with Harry, even helped him! Maybe we will get to see Dumbledore again in Book 7 after all....
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

Re: New way for Dumbledore to talk to Harry in Deathly Hallows

Priori Incantatem is EXTREMELY rare though...and we don't know of anyone who shares a wand core source with Snape... so I seriously doubt it.

Sent a letter in the mail in braille to Johnny Quest
Send me back my Etch-a-Sketch!
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Madelia wrote:
Priori Incantatem is EXTREMELY rare though...and we don't know of anyone who shares a wand core source with Snape... so I seriously doubt it.

No, that isn't true exactly. There are two kinds... the kind we saw in the beginning of GoF, when Crouch checked Harry's wand for the last spell it cast, and the kind that happened at the end of GOF when the two brother wands interacted.

The thing is, though, I would think you would need the second, more difficult one, to get the image to talk, and even then, it would not be really Dumbledore, just a spectral representation of him.
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

Psychee at this point you'd have to have the 2nd one happen to see DD since the other spell only shows the last spell cast by that wand. Snape deflected several spells of Harry's with his wand so if you did the last spell cast all you would see is the shield charm he used to deflect Sectumsempra and those spells.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

allenctynimrod wrote:
Psychee at this point you'd have to have the 2nd one happen to see DD since the other spell only shows the last spell cast by that wand. Snape deflected several spells of Harry's with his wand so if you did the last spell cast all you would see is the shield charm he used to deflect Sectumsempra and those spells.

Very true!
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

allenctynimrod wrote:

Very true!

Yes, sorry, that's the one I meant.

Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

It would have to be extremely extremely rare.....we know for sure that the phoenix tail feathers for Harry and LVs wands both came from Fawkes. We first off don't know for sure what core for a wand Snape has (pretty sure there are only 3 kinds but can't remember them off the top of my head) and then we'd have to find someone with the same kind of core that came from the same "donor" so to speak.
Frequent Contributor
killercactus
0 Kudos

I think there are actually more than 3 (Fleur used veela hair). However, if you assume Good Snape, he could purposely find a wand with the same core. It's the only way we've seen dead people actually talk to the living without being a ghost.
Frequent Contributor
allenctynimrod
0 Kudos

Good point let me rephrase then....I think there are only 3 cores that Ollivander uses and he seems to be the supplier of most wands to Hogwarts.

Did Fleur have something else aside from Veela Hair?
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

allenctynimrod wrote:
Good point let me rephrase then....I think there are only 3 cores that Ollivander uses and he seems to be the supplier of most wands to Hogwarts.

Did Fleur have something else aside from Veela Hair?

Fleur's wand: rosewood, 9 1/2 ", inflexible, veela hair

That veela hair actually came from her grandmother's head.

I wonder if Fleur turns into the same kind of thing that the veelas turned into at the World Cup when they got mad... or some watered-down version of it..?
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Dobby told Harry (i can't remember what book) that Dobby knows some of Dumbledore's secrets and keeps them or something like that. Perhaps Dobby can tell Harry some of Dumbledore's secrets that would help Harry in his hunt for the horcruxes or other things...
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

PattyBNUChick wrote:
Dobby told Harry (i can't remember what book) that Dobby knows some of Dumbledore's secrets and keeps them or something like that. Perhaps Dobby can tell Harry some of Dumbledore's secrets that would help Harry in his hunt for the horcruxes or other things...

This is a bit off-topic for this thread, but Dobby also knew things from the Malfoys, such as the fact that the diary had been made while Riddle could be "freely named", and that the Dark Lord had powers that no good wizard would ever use. I thnk Dobby could provide a wealth of information... as could Kreacher...
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick
0 Kudos

Yes, off topic, but good point. I will copy this to a Malfoy or Dobby thread and answer you (twice) : )

Psychee wrote:

PattyBNUChick wrote:

This is a bit off-topic for this thread, but Dobby also knew things from the Malfoys, such as the fact that the diary had been made while Riddle could be "freely named", and that the Dark Lord had powers that no good wizard would ever use. I thnk Dobby could provide a wealth of information... as could Kreacher...

Frequent Contributor
princesspotter
0 Kudos

okay, so here's another idea..
the prophecy was stored in some kind of sphere in the MOM.
What if DD did that for Harry? not make a prophecy.. but put all his thoughts in a little jar to help guide him..
i know he has the Pensieve, he might be able to use, to extract them.

He may have already given all the information to Harry in HBP but maybe there was more than what we were given.
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

I'm guessing we have been given everything needed straight from Dumbledore's mouth...but I'm sure there is plenty in the Pensieve that could be useful... I mean, even though Dumbledore didn't show Harry the Pensieve in the first place, he knew Harry would find it eventually and so a lot of important information was in there. He may have seemed like he didn't necessarily want Harry to know some of it, but he knew there was no way he couldn't eventually.

BN Editor
MattW
0 Kudos

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the correct thread - or even if what I'm saying has been discussed already in another thread - but I have a question about Dumbledore.

Okay, JK Rowling has already said that he's dead, but that doesn't mean that he can't still communicate with Harry in some way. In either SS or CoS, Dumbledore says that all of the past Hogwarts headmasters' portraits hang on his office wall. Since Dumbledore's no longer a headmaster, wouldn't he get a portrait in the office that McGonagall now occupies, and wouldn't he be able to move around/communicate like the other portraits can? Maybe pictures/portraits only have limited communiation, but I thought I'd throw that theory out there!
Matt
Teens Editor, B&N.com
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

Yep, Harry saw the portrait of Dumbledore appear in the Headmaster's office after his death, when he and McGonagall were in there together. If Hogwarts is still open next book, and if Harry has some kind of access to the Headmaster's office, I'm sure he'll try to communicate with Dumbledore through the portrait.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Since Dumbledore could, like any other person in a portrait, move from one picture to another in Hogwarts, he doesn't necessarily have to just talk to him in the Headmaster's office... He could ask another portrait person to ask him to join Harry anywhere...

Message Edited by Psychee on 06-21-2007 02:27 PM
Frequent Contributor
Madelia
0 Kudos

That is very true, I completely forgot about that.

Frequent Contributor
JPaulson
0 Kudos

These last comments are really right on, to my mind. Dumbledore is fond of reminding Harry that he will only be gone from Hogwarts when none there are loyal to him. Yes, I bet you are all correct, Harry will speak with DD thru his portrait, perhaps get permission to use the Pensieve, too. Next, does anyone know if Harry threw away the broken pocket mirror Sirius gave him? Might a "reparo" spell work on it? That might be a way to find out if Sirius is really dead, and perhaps if he and DD are together working for Harry's success they could all speak with one another.

Another wild thought, if DD isn't really dead as some here suspect, speaking thru the fire has been a popular occurance in several of the books and the movies so maybe DD will try that with Harry thereby not giving away his new location.