Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"

You see an avatar right now, Jules?    Mine must all be wearing invisibility cloaks, then. 

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

No, right now -- 9:09 PM CDT -- they are gone again, but I did see them when I posted that earlier message.  Maybe it's windy out there on the net and their cloaks are blowing about????????????:smileyindifferent:

By the way, there is nothing to prevent female werewolves from existing.  I know, I've met some.  I expect that would make them (and I don't know if this will get thru monitoring s'ware) werewolfbitches.  That's a 15-letter word starting "werewolfb", and indicates the female of dog species.  

You know, the female of the species is more dangerous that the male.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

Kreacherteacher wrote:

Psychee wrote:

Also, after experiencing much rudeness on another B & N board, I just want to thank you profusely for doing such a great job at keeping our little community here so enjoyable and respectful of one another.   One never fully appreciates what one has until it is no longer there, I guess!  A good moderator makes all the difference in the world!   Two thumbs up for you!

That's too bad, Psychee. Sorry people feel the need to be rude, and especially to you as you help everyone all the time. Perhaps a few of us could run a stealth mission to that board and drop a few close but not quite unforgivable curses. Anyone else game?

Well, bless your heart! (You, too TB!)   (Added - and you, too, Jules!)    I'd be really careful, though. Based upon how my neck feels after one of these encounters, it seems like I'm being attacked by a female form of Fenrir Greyback over there who is uber-protected by .... hmmm -- maybe Tiggerbear can come up with the right character for the "protector"?  I'm thinking along the lines of Wormtail...    :smileyhappy:

Hmm.. More like Wormtongue, much more dangerous. The two of them together though, anyone remember what the names of those nasty siamese cat in 100 dalmatians? That board gets down right like being picked apart by buzzards at times.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

lol... you guys really tickle me!

OK, so we've identified the bad guys -- a werewolfbitch (we need a good name for her) and Wormtongue (very clever, TB!).  The werewolfbitch is a bit rabid, so be careful!

But what kind of spells to use?  Hmmmm....

TB -- are you thinking of Si and Am from Lady and the Tramp (going after the fish --"a head for you and a tail for me" )?  They got Lady in trouble, making her owner think that she was a nasty dog.

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

How about  "Meanellia Wasptongue"?

:smileysurprised:

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Ooooh... that's a good name!  :smileyhappy:   "Rabidia"  might be good, too, along the lines of a rabid dog with a bone.  :smileyhappy:

Rabidia Wasptongue with her sidekick Wormtongue? 

lol!

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

lol... you guys really tickle me!

OK, so we've identified the bad guys -- a werewolfbitch (we need a good name for her) and Wormtongue (very clever, TB!).  The werewolfbitch is a bit rabid, so be careful!

But what kind of spells to use?  Hmmmm....

TB -- are you thinking of Si and Am from Lady and the Tramp (going after the fish --"a head for you and a tail for me" )?  They got Lady in trouble, making her owner think that she was a nasty dog.

Yeah I think so, if it's the ones who sing the "We are siamese if you please. We are siamese if you don't please" song.

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Yes -- I like your idea better -- Rabidia Wasptongue.  Wish I'd a thought a that.  LoL

As far as spells go, 'Evanesco' and 'Finite Incantum' ought to do it, but how about "GoSoakYourHeadius" or "Incontinentum"?

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

TB, yes, those are the ones.  Here is a link to the Disney song you mentioned--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpPGE_SKtA4

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Jules934 wrote:

Yes -- I like your idea better -- Rabidia Wasptongue.  Wish I'd a thought a that.  LoL

As far as spells go, 'Evanesco' and 'Finite Incantum' ought to do it, but how about "GoSoakYourHeadius" or "Incontinentum"?

lol!  The last one is definitely "below the belt" -- literally and figuratively!  You're evil!  :smileyhappy:

I suppose we also could go the "good witch" route -- Empathius!  -- to get them to think about the feelings of the people they are posting to? 

What would be a good spell to get a chip off their shoulders? 

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

RE:  New changes

I just discovered something new.  Under profile, you can generate a list of every post you ever made.  My list is 248 pages long, and by clicking on 248, I was able to see my very first post, dated two and half years ago.    It was a simple post in a thread called "Questions for JKR?".    I had two questions, neither of which have ever been answered. 

KathyS

[ Edited ]

Psychee wrote:

Jules934 wrote:

lol!  The last one is definitely "below the belt" -- literally and figuratively!  You're evil!  :smileyhappy:

I suppose we also could go the "good witch" route -- Empathius!  -- to get them to think about the feelings of the people they are posting to? 

What would be a good spell to get a chip off their shoulders? 

You guys are killing me!  How I ended up on this board, was a fluke....Agatha put me on a trail of blood....it lead here. 

Mistress Wordsmith, Psychee, you have now reached a higher step in the ranking system, and soon you will understand the true meaning of the title "Wordsmith".  You will continue to gain rank by numerous ways, none of which have anything to do with times you have 'spoken'...aka "Chatty Cathy" Hm....  You will be Inspired, and distinguished in due time.  At those times you will climb higher still, into the rank of Scribe.....beyond that point is by hook or croak....step by step, hand over hand....until you reach Bibliophile. Then more steps to climb to become a three laurel giver within this rank. 

After you have reached this highest rank, you may then take your wand and wave your spells over these unpleasant maliciusmouthevildoers.  I know for whom you speak.  I have the ability to read minds, even in the darkest of nights.  But, beware,

of your spells.  They don't all work.

When I was a Wordsmith, I tried to rid that board of all evil, but time and again I was slammed onto the ground, and stepped upon by the powerful wands that be.  I was applauded for my efforts, by the lowly plebeians....I had courage, and stood, once again.... I took beating after beating, defending the innocent, protecting the lowly, the hurt, the shamed......until I was defending myself.... and it was to no avail.  My wand was taken from me and broken in two, and tossed to the ground.  I picked the broken ends up, and shoved what was left, up, and into all of the orifices I could reach of my enemy....The Large Toll creature was not daunted.  No fear came to this Troll's eyes.  The only resource I found, was to leave them alone to fight amongst themselves, and hopefully destroy themselves in the process.  I am sorry that you had to come into this sorry state and witness these things.....  I will not step foot onto those evil grounds, again.  I made that very clear when I left.... There are some powers I will never have, even as a Bibliophile.

I wish you all well in your future quests.

Stay safe, and stay well.

Kathy S.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

RE:  New changes

I just discovered something new.  Under profile, you can generate a list of every post you ever made.  My list is 248 pages long, and by clicking on 248, I was able to see my very first post, dated two and half years ago.    It was a simple post in a thread called "Questions for JKR?".    I had two questions, neither of which have ever been answered. 

Brave. The last time I look there was 171 pages of my posts. A few had gotten over 6000 views. Kinda scary to me.

Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Psychee, I'm desperately trying to catch up on all these posts.

first, I believe you have been promoted, not demoted, by losing your adjective and have gained by being awarded a new noun.  Seems to me in the B & N parlance, Wordsmith trumps Correspondent.  Next step will be (adjective) Wordsmith.

Second, I'm horrified that you, of all posters, would experience rudeness on another B&N board.  It did happen to me, too, (albeit under a different nomme de plume) but for you to have that happen is simply not on.  I believe I will develop a personal (Snape-like spell) for those curmudgeons who stalk other boards.  SemperDipstickulati!

Psychee wrote:

Connie, is there any chance that you could un-anchor the old OFF Topic thread so that it falls back to page 2?  I keep clicking on it by mistake!

Also, after experiencing much rudeness on another B & N board, I just want to thank you profusely for doing such a great job at keeping our little community here so enjoyable and respectful of one another.   One never fully appreciates what one has until it is no longer there, I guess!  A good moderator makes all the difference in the world!   Two thumbs up for you!

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

TB, yes, those are the ones.  Here is a link to the Disney song you mentioned--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpPGE_SKtA4

Yep thanks, that's the troublesome pair. Funny how my brain merged 2 childhood dog movies.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:

first, I believe you have been promoted, not demoted, by losing your adjective and have gained by being awarded a new noun.  Seems to me in the B & N parlance, Wordsmith trumps Correspondent.  Next step will be (adjective) Wordsmith.

Second, I'm horrified that you, of all posters, would experience rudeness on another B&N board.  It did happen to me, too, (albeit under a different nomme de plume) but for you to have that happen is simply not on.  I believe I will develop a personal (Snape-like spell) for those curmudgeons who stalk other boards.  SemperDipstickulati!

Psychee wrote:

Connie, is there any chance that you could un-anchor the old OFF Topic thread so that it falls back to page 2?  I keep clicking on it by mistake!

Actually is a double jump over scribe status and a loss of her adjective addition, she experianced. Nothing to worry about though.

Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Mollywobbles wrote:

Psychee wrote:

So this is a good thing!  Don't know about you TB, but I'm hating this "posted 3 minutes ago" thing. 

Actually is a double jump over scribe status and a loss of her adjective addition, she experianced. Nothing to worry about though.

B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

I just thought it might be amusing to post this. It is a link to a post by Connie almost two years ago about how we may not have a moderator all that much longer... Congratulations to the people here for keeping this board so busy that Connie has had to stick around for this long :robbery-happy:

I know I tend to be sporadic, but I thought I would say Hi, and "Yippy Skippy" The dark countess has returned! She will reward her faithful servant with cupcakes!

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Yay! Shadow has returned! Shadow you may want to check your cupcake tattoo. It is apparently a bit slow to work. You were summoned weeks ago. The Countess is a bit miffed with you, though I think she will forgive you quickly enough.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee

KathyS wrote:

You guys are killing me!  How I ended up on this board, was a fluke....Agatha put me on a trail of blood....it lead here. 

Mistress Wordsmith, Psychee, you have now reached a higher step in the ranking system, and soon you will understand the true meaning of the title "Wordsmith".  You will continue to gain rank by numerous ways, none of which have anything to do with times you have 'spoken'...aka "Chatty Cathy" Hm....  You will be Inspired, and distinguished in due time.  At those times you will climb higher still, into the rank of Scribe.....beyond that point is by hook or croak....step by step, hand over hand....until you reach Bibliophile. Then more steps to climb to become a three laurel giver within this rank. 

After you have reached this highest rank, you may then take your wand and wave your spells over these unpleasant maliciusmouthevildoers.  I know for whom you speak.  I have the ability to read minds, even in the darkest of nights.  But, beware,

of your spells.  They don't all work.

When I was a Wordsmith, I tried to rid that board of all evil, but time and again I was slammed onto the ground, and stepped upon by the powerful wands that be.  I was applauded for my efforts, by the lowly plebeians....I had courage, and stood, once again.... I took beating after beating, defending the innocent, protecting the lowly, the hurt, the shamed......until I was defending myself.... and it was to no avail.  My wand was taken from me and broken in two, and tossed to the ground.  I picked the broken ends up, and shoved what was left, up, and into all of the orifices I could reach of my enemy....The Large Toll creature was not daunted.  No fear came to this Troll's eyes.  The only resource I found, was to leave them alone to fight amongst themselves, and hopefully destroy themselves in the process.  I am sorry that you had to come into this sorry state and witness these things.....  I will not step foot onto those evil grounds, again.  I made that very clear when I left.... There are some powers I will never have, even as a Bibliophile.

I wish you all well in your future quests.

Stay safe, and stay well.

Kathy S.

Dame Kathy S, we are humbled by your visit to our lowly, but always safe, board.    I am especially humbled by your kindness of sharing with us your own bloody experiences with those evildoers on that OTHER board.   Athough it is sad to learn of so many people having been hurt, it is nevertheless comfort to know that I am in very noble company! 

Hey!  Do you think there is a chance that Rabidia has gotten hold of another Elder Wand / Deathstick ?

I've never met Agatha -- tell her to drop by!  We'll offer her a cuppa tea!

Thanks also for explaining my new title, lol...  though I have to admit that it's difficult for me to figure out how these rankings are determined simply by searching for other titles and checking their statistics.   They must use a complicated spell -- something created by Hermione, perhaps, using Arithmancy and Ancient Runes.  :smileyhappy: