Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"

Congratulations, Alejandro, our newly Inspired Contributor!!

Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Promised myself a little Pottering around-I've missed it.

Shadow!  Why did you get re-named?  How rude!  Somehow that's like re-naming Superman-Mike the mole.  Please keep signing your proper name so we know it's you!

Lots of non british people have been knighted, but members of the Commonwealth are allowed to call themselves "Sir".  Indeed, US citizens apparently are not allowed to do this (perhaps still a little cranky about 1776 and 1812?) 

Even here in Canada (pity!) we had a nasty little dust up about someone who wanted to be a Lord.  Now, becoming a Lord is considerably different than being knighted.  One of our prominent business people desperately wanted to join the peerage.  Our then Prime Minister moved to block the translation, great argy bargy ensued.  Finally, Mr. Black changed his citizenship and became a Lord.  He's now in jail in Florida, I believe, for fraud and other financial misdemeanors.

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Woo Hoo   Woo Hoo   Woo Hoo   Hoo Woo   Hoo Woo    Hoo Woo   HooHooHoo WooWooWoo   !

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

This is interesting news. I do not have a Kindle because they are rather expensive devices, but I think I would like one someday or something like it. B&N is launching it's e-reader tomorrow (10/20). Interesting article...http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/techtonicshifts/archive/2009/10/19/barnes-and-noble-wants-to-crush-am...

KT

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

They would be great for manuals and research and reference, but somehow, I don't think reading from a Kindle can be anything like curling up with a good book. 

P.S.

The WooHoo post was ment to be in celebration of our newly promoted friend.

Other than by being born to the peerage, how does one become a peer? 

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher

Jules934 wrote:

As far as I know, anyone can pee.

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

There is, as you say, the hereditary peerage-still primogeniture (first born son-very sexist!)  Then, HRH (not, in this case, Harry, Ron & Hermione, but Her Royal Highness) can confer a title.  In the olden days, the title came with "all the lands and appertenances thereto", but these days, it's just the title.  The recommendation is made by Parliament, with regard to the number of seats in the House of Lords, then presented to HRH, and if She agrees, the title is granted.  Usually there have been significant contributions to some facet of society, or galleons have changed hands. Sad but true-like buying a Senate seat, I guess.
Jules934 wrote:

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info.

Alas, you are right.  In the state of Illinois, vacant Senate seats were (hopefully) for sale.  Seen the gov on reality TV?

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

OH MY GOD. I live in one of the most influential parts of Illinois, and you cannot imagine how many parents of kids in my high school got in trouble for that scandal. It was a terrible scandal for MONTHS after, and Rod Blago made most radio hosts' lists of "People Who Need to See Someone." Also included are Chrisitan Bale and Drew Peterson. You may not have heard of Drew Peterson, but look him up and I can guarantee that you will be amazed by how ridiculous this man is.

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Well, I grew up in Chicago's 23'rd ward/Lawndale district, where the motto was vote early, vote often, and don't be shy.  Also, the saying "The best government money can buy." was literally true -- $5 would get the street light or a parking ticket fixed, your sidewalk repaired or just about anything else.  Jobs were more expensive tho.  Favors were "thanked" with nylons for my mom, booze for my dad and a puppy (Queenie) for me. 

It was sortta like an informal "tax"/"special assessment" for those who needed something  But, you know, it worked.  LoL:smileywink:  Better that nothin' workin' no how.  And the money didn't all land in the fat cat's pocket. 

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

lol!  I lived in Chicago for ten years, starting while Richard Daley (the first one) was still mayor and continuing for about 8 years beyond that.  I was mesmerized by the political goings-on in the City Council and elsewhere, as reported in the news-- it was the best drama show on TV!

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

OMG  Do you remember --- ...The police are not here to create disorder.  The police are here to preserve disorder."?

...And one councilman speaking of another saying something like -- he does not like what that gentleman and others of his ilk were doing, and the spoken-of-gentleman leaping to his feat in anger objecting to "being called and 'ilk'."?

Not to mention a discussion about the propriely of installing pay toilets at O'Hare airport and another councilman stating that such a fee was "a tax, and people in that position should not be taxed!"?

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee

Jules934 wrote:

OMG  Do you remember --- ...The police are not here to create disorder.  The police are here to preserve disorder."?

...And one councilman speaking of another saying something like -- he does not like what that gentleman and others of his ilk were doing, and the spoken-of-gentleman leaping to his feat in anger objecting to "being called and 'ilk'."?

Not to mention a discussion about the propriely of installing pay toilets at O'Hare airport and another councilman stating that such a fee was "a tax, and people in that position should not be taxed!"?

Oh, lord.  I remember the first two, but the last one I missed.  It's hilarious!  :smileyhappy:

I also remember the early post-Daley years, when suddenly, due to a real freak of a huge snow storm on New Year's Eve, the whole city came to a standstill and stayed that way for days.  Everybody keenly missed Mayor Daley then -- his minions didn't get anything done without his leadership.

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Love the word minion!  Take a laurel!  Minion is right up there on my favourite word list, along with smitten and vexed!

As to snowstorms...several years ago, before I retired and was living Mon-Fri in Toronto, coming home on weekends, a big storm (even by Toronto standards) hit, and the mayor called in the army! 

Psychee wrote:

Oh, lord.  I remember the first two, but the last one I missed.  It's hilarious!  :smileyhappy:

I also remember the early post-Daley years, when suddenly, due to a real freak of a huge snow storm on New Year's Eve, the whole city came to a standstill and stayed that way for days.  Everybody keenly missed Mayor Daley then -- his minions didn't get anything done without his leadership.

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Gah! When I was coming back from Quebec from my eighth grade field trip in APRIL nonetheless, we got held up not because of snow in Canada, where it's supposed to snow (no offense with the stereotype thing, Molly) but because it was snowing in Chicago! We were very upset with Quebec's airport management... they had all people on the flight sleep in the little kid waiting area. A few of my friends spent the night on a slide! Needless to say, NEVER again am I taking United...

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Jaya, I'll bet you and Mollywobbles get close to the same amount of snow -- you have that "lake effect" thing going on there in Chicago.  You guys ought to compare notes this winter.

Just don't send any of your infernal snow east (and in Mollywobbles case, south) to me!  :smileyhappy:

Mollywobbles -- thanks for the laurel!  I'll bet you remember old Mayor Daley well -- boy, did he have minions!

New User
kendall56
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

mrs._brightside that band,harry and the potters are out of there minds.i also heard draco and the malfoys on itunes but i didn't like there songs u should hear it thanks, kendall56

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Snow in April is pretty normal, Jaya, and Montreal gets more than its fair share of the neige. Many is the time I've been stuck at the airport because there were snowstorms elsewhere and they couldn't cycle the aircraft through to Montreal. 

I'll bet you flew out of Mirabel, not Dorval.  Dorval is generally pretty good at handling stranded passengers, not so Mirabel.

agnijay wrote:

Gah! When I was coming back from Quebec from my eighth grade field trip in APRIL nonetheless, we got held up not because of snow in Canada, where it's supposed to snow (no offense with the stereotype thing, Molly) but because it was snowing in Chicago! We were very upset with Quebec's airport management... they had all people on the flight sleep in the little kid waiting area. A few of my friends spent the night on a slide! Needless to say, NEVER again am I taking United...

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think Chicago and Toronto have similar climates, give or take a few degrees of temperature.  Where I live, some 75 miles northwest of Toronto, I get a double whammy because of the same lake effect which hits from both Lake Huron and Georgian Bay-gets me coming and going! 

I'll do my best to keep the white stuff away from your part of the world, Psychee, if you'll try and keep the tornados south of the border.

I do indeed remember the stories of Mayor Daley and his minions, those were turbulent times in many ways.  What surprised me was that Daley's influence was so blatantly wielded by those same minions.

Psychee wrote:

Jaya, I'll bet you and Mollywobbles get close to the same amount of snow -- you have that "lake effect" thing going on there in Chicago.  You guys ought to compare notes this winter.

Just don't send any of your infernal snow east (and in Mollywobbles case, south) to me!  :smileyhappy:

Mollywobbles -- thanks for the laurel!  I'll bet you remember old Mayor Daley well -- boy, did he have minions!