Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
blinkgirl89
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"

[ Edited ]

i didn't really know where to put this so i will just put it here. its this fanfiction i found in one of the many Harry Potter related sites called immeritus.org and i just thought it was really funny and i thought i would share it with you guys.

Sirius Black and the Mother's Day Essay

"Mr. Black," said Professor McGonagall in a sharp tone, handing a parchment to Sirius.

After glancing down at the paper, Sirius looked up earnestly, "That's my homework for Muggle Studies."

Grinning, he added, "I even turned it in on time, Professor."

"Be that as it may, Mr. Black," Professor Fluffles is beside herself with its content.

"But Professor," protested Sirius, his grey eyes filled with innocence, "I followed her instructions exactly."

"For heaven's sake, Mr. Black! You cannot possibly believe 'I Used to Love Her, but I had to Kill Her' is an appropriate topic for a Mother's Day essay."

i found it funny cuz i think Sirius would really do something like that.
Message Edited by blinkgirl89 on 07-29-2009 09:21 PM
LAKERS 2009 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

"PIGFARTS, IS ON MARS"
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee

Did he kill her by calling her a Muggle??? :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
blinkgirl89
0 Kudos

i almost forgot that today is Harry Potter's birthday and JK's

LAKERS 2009 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

"PIGFARTS, IS ON MARS"
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Hum.  I see I have been changed from Inspired Contributor to Correspondent-is this a promotion?
Mollywobbles wrote:

I popped over to the Community Board, a place I rarely go, and found a thread on how you earn your rank.  This new system seems to be causing quite a snit in certain quarters, and quite a bit of humour as well.

Apparently, as you say, it has to do with the number of posts, numbers of laurels given and received, number of threads started, number of posts viewed, and time logged on-however, the formula is still a mystery. 

Psychee wrote:

I'm not all that sure how it works, but I'm guessing the noun part (e.g. Correspondent, Contributor, Scribe) comes from how many posts we make while the adjective part (distinguished, inspired, etc.) comes from the number of laurels we've received.   Other boards hand out laurels more freely than this one, but then the conversations on other boards (especially Current Events) tend to be a lot more serious. 

I think it might have started around the time the laurels system started. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
Hum.  I see I have been changed from Inspired Contributor to Correspondent-is this a promotion?
Mollywobbles wrote:

I popped over to the Community Board, a place I rarely go, and found a thread on how you earn your rank.  This new system seems to be causing quite a snit in certain quarters, and quite a bit of humour as well.

Apparently, as you say, it has to do with the number of posts, numbers of laurels given and received, number of threads started, number of posts viewed, and time logged on-however, the formula is still a mystery. 

Psychee wrote:

I'm not all that sure how it works, but I'm guessing the noun part (e.g. Correspondent, Contributor, Scribe) comes from how many posts we make while the adjective part (distinguished, inspired, etc.) comes from the number of laurels we've received.   Other boards hand out laurels more freely than this one, but then the conversations on other boards (especially Current Events) tend to be a lot more serious. 

Yep, next scribe, then wordsmith

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

LOL! I humbly bow before the two of you.

You guys should have access to special avatars. Seriously. You should be able to design yer own.

I do have this image of a correspondent reporting from the field for CNN. The inspired scribe, well that just conjures images of a someone with writer's block. :-)

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Kreacherteacher wrote:

LOL! I humbly bow before the two of you.

You guys should have access to special avatars. Seriously. You should be able to design yer own.

I do have this image of a correspondent reporting from the field for CNN. The inspired scribe, well that just conjures images of a someone with writer's block. :-)

(nod) It would be nice to be able to import images for avatar choice.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Yes, Mollywobbles, I do believe you have been promoted!  I wonder what happened to your "inspired" adjective, though...  have you been feeling uninspired?  :smileyhappy:

Mollywobbles wrote:

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
Mollywobbles wrote:

Psychee wrote:

Hi, Molly--I haven't reviewed the rankings in awhile, but the titles usually come from the number of posts.  Did you just cross over a big number?

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick2
0 Kudos

Good one lol. : )

Sirius Black and the Mother's Day Essay

"Mr. Black," said Professor McGonagall in a sharp tone, handing a parchment to Sirius.

After glancing down at the paper, Sirius looked up earnestly, "That's my homework for Muggle Studies."

Grinning, he added, "I even turned it in on time, Professor."

"Be that as it may, Mr. Black," Professor Fluffles is beside herself with its content.

"But Professor," protested Sirius, his grey eyes filled with innocence, "I followed her instructions exactly."

"For heaven's sake, Mr. Black! You cannot possibly believe 'I Used to Love Her, but I had to Kill Her' is an appropriate topic for a Mother's Day essay."

Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick2
0 Kudos

Yes, where are my followers?  I've pressed my tongue  wand to the Cupcake Mark on my arm but ShadowCougar isnt here - he will pay.  As well as the other two missing Cupcake Eaters....  ; )

Mollywobbles wrote:

I had rather hoped that ShadowCougar might drop in after the release of HBP.  Since the Countess turned up, I thought her devoted follower might put in an appearance too. 

Yo!  ShadowCougar, the cupcake supply is running low.:smileywink:

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Ah, Patty, I do love to have you back in the lists!

Perhaps your icing has worn off?  I do wish ShadowCougar would answer your summons, however, I miss him-I guess sweet wears off quicker than salty!

PattyBNUChick2 wrote:

Yes, where are my followers?  I've pressed my tongue  wand to the Cupcake Mark on my arm but ShadowCougar isnt here - he will pay.  As well as the other two missing Cupcake Eaters....  ; )

Mollywobbles wrote:

I had rather hoped that ShadowCougar might drop in after the release of HBP.  Since the Countess turned up, I thought her devoted follower might put in an appearance too. 

Yo!  ShadowCougar, the cupcake supply is running low.:smileywink:

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Isn't there a punishment for those who do not answer the summons?
Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick2
0 Kudos

Yes, its usually death, although I may cut certain Cupcake Eaters a break based on their past loyalty to my Evil MG theory.

Kreacherteacher wrote:

Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick2
0 Kudos

What I miss most of course is that there is no 'next book', but another thing I really miss are the updates to JKR's website.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

I miss that, too.  She really let that go prematurely, I think. 
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Well, you see Patty, that was the fatal flaw in your McEvil theory all the way along-it's no wonder your followers have moved on.  McGonagall was salty, not sweet.  She did have her semi-sweet moments, but for the most part, she belonged to the salty snack queen movement.

QED.

PattyBNUChick2 wrote:

Yes, its usually death, although I may cut certain Cupcake Eaters a break based on their past loyalty to my Evil MG theory.

Kreacherteacher wrote:

Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick2
0 Kudos

Merlin's beard why didn't you point that out 3 years ago!  :smileyhappy:

Mollywobbles wrote:

Well, you see Patty, that was the fatal flaw in your McEvil theory all the way along-it's no wonder your followers have moved on.  McGonagall was salty, not sweet.  She did have her semi-sweet moments, but for the most part, she belonged to the salty snack queen movement.

QED.

PattyBNUChick2 wrote:

Kreacherteacher wrote:

Frequent Contributor
Lalo
0 Kudos

a completely Off the Topic topic...

I know everyone (or I assume everyone) within this board has at least reread the whole series. And I know we have a thread for what to read after Potter. However I'm mor einterested in what other books people make a habit of rereading, be it at a special time of year or just a book you have to reread between every new novel...

I for example reread Pride and Prejudice at least twice every year! I've just embarked on my 19th read and was wondering if anyone else had this sort of habit????

Frequent Contributor
PattyBNUChick2
0 Kudos

Other than Harry Potter, I can't seem to get into anything enough to re-read it.    I just can't get into reading.   Everything people seem to recommend are magical kinds of books, but in my opinion everything out there is just not like the Harry Potter series, it just lacks something and sorry, but several of them lack a heck of a lot. 
 Also one of the reasons I liked the HP series was that for the first time I found a series that was magical without all the wierd names.  I mean yes, Deddelus Diggle or however you spell it and Helga Hufflepuff are odd names, but they're pronounceable and not so hard to remember, vs something like L'laylaran of R'wafleiq.
I hate series where the names are so bizarre like that... So alas, woe is me, I can't really find anything to sink my eyes into and its a bummer.

Lalo wrote:

a completely Off the Topic topic...

I know everyone (or I assume everyone) within this board has at least reread the whole series. And I know we have a thread for what to read after Potter. However I'm mor einterested in what other books people make a habit of rereading, be it at a special time of year or just a book you have to reread between every new novel...

I for example reread Pride and Prejudice at least twice every year! I've just embarked on my 19th read and was wondering if anyone else had this sort of habit????