Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Kat-NE
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"

I have to say that if I like a book, I will read it over again, several times even.  Some books more than others: Pride and Prejudice, Twilight series, Harry Potter, The Hobbit.  I'm actually rereading Eclipse at the moment and then Breaking Dawn after that.  It's cheaper than buying new books I may not like.
Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Kat -- have you tried your local library?  Great place to experiment with books -- take a few off the shelves and see what they're like -- different authors, different subjects, maybe a whole different topic -- like mysteries or books about Titanic.  Many prob won't interest you at all (but that's OK), you'll find others you like and even love.  Then you can buy ones you really like.
Inspired Contributor
AlejandroOchoa
0 Kudos

I don't mean to interupt your chat or anything, but something important came up. I need to know where a link is located on a computer screen.
Frequent Contributor
Lalo
0 Kudos

as in the link in the URL bar so you can send to people to view the page your looking at?
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

PattyBNUChick2 wrote:
What I miss most of course is that there is no 'next book', but another thing I really miss are the updates to JKR's website.

I agree.  Her "team" ought to be able to think up something fresher to put up there by now!  It doesn't have to be about what she's working on now...just something new related to the Potterverse, theme park, etc.  It's pretty surprising, really, that it's not been kept up.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Jules934 wrote:
Kat -- have you tried your local library?  Great place to experiment with books -- take a few off the shelves and see what they're like -- different authors, different subjects, maybe a whole different topic -- like mysteries or books about Titanic.  Many prob won't interest you at all (but that's OK), you'll find others you like and even love.  Then you can buy ones you really like.

Excellent suggestion, of course--the library is great for exploring different authors, genres, series, classics, fantasies, etc.!  It's sometimes surprising how often people nowadays--with the Internet, our easy online book ordering, etc.--forget about the wealth of free resources at their local library.  Libraries are good! 

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

AlejandroOchoa wrote:
I don't mean to interupt your chat or anything, but something important came up. I need to know where a link is located on a computer screen.

Let us know if we can help you, Alejandro.  You can make a link in your posts here by using the "chain" icon in the row of tools.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Thanks for the link info.  these boards are great, there are so many features.

Is there a User's Guide anywhere?

Wordsmith
Kat-NE
0 Kudos

I used to live in the library.  In my town, the library is very "limited".  Even when I went there at least three times a week, returning and getting new books, It was hard to find anything interesting.  Hardly a go between, it was either really kiddy stuff or boring historical stuff, and I mean outdated boring stuff.  I usually ended rereading books anyway. Now that I'm in college, I do have access to a larger library, but I really don't like to browse for books anymore.  I'm not patient enough I guess.  Nowadays, I read reviews from others who have read them and if it sounds good I buy it.  I guess I'm just picky.  I enjoy reading books again, I usually read so fast the first time that I miss things. 
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Jules934 wrote:

The help threads have a few to show you the ropes.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: User's Guide

Jules934 wrote:

You know, it's been so long, I had to go looking for this.  I've spent several minutes and see several things like "User Guidelines" along the top of our screens, but these are not "how-to" guidelines about the features of the forum and how to use them but rather are more about the rules of engagement, site policies, that sort of thing.

Using the forums becomes intuitive after awhile, Jules, but if I see something all written down, I'll send it along.  If anyone else sees an instruction type of thing anywhere, could you let us know?  This is something I should be able to find!  Erg.  If all else fails and there is still a need, I can ask the 'man behind the curtain.'  :smileywink:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

The Man Behind the Curtain????  You mean The Wizard of B&N?:smileyvery-happy:
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Jules934 wrote:
The Man Behind the Curtain????  You mean The Wizard of B&N?:smileyvery-happy:

Yup; the backstage people who keep everything runnin'.  :smileywink:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Reader 2
cedeane
0 Kudos

This is sort of off topic, but it does apply to HP. Has anyone gone to either iTunes or the SQPN web site (Catholic web site) to listen to SQPN's podcats pertaining to HP? They originated with a priest in Holland and address some of the background to the books. While they do have a regious flavor for the most part they are quite interesting. I've been looking for info on where JKR got her ideas and to see where history and mythology have played a part is really neat. The SQPN site is www.sqpn.com. In iTunes you can do a search for the podcast.
Reader 2
cedeane
0 Kudos

I heard on the BBC where they had lost the majority of original footage from NASA on the Apollo flight. Somehow they found copies and are going to edit/enhance it for a DVD set to be released sometime this Fall. It might be something worth buying if it pans out.

Jules934 wrote:

Were any of you watching History Channel's replay of the Apollo 11 flight this evening?  Any of you around to see the original broadcasts????????   As far as I'm concerned, it was almost as exciting as the first time around.

----------

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

The history channel usually has DVD's of its broadcasts available.  Try http://www.history.com/content/space/history/apollo-11

B&N may have it or probablly can get it for you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

Hi Connie,  Did B & N do some updating recently (probably a silly question, they probably update the website continuously).  I had my HP page bookmarked, but when I tried to get in yesterday and today (and I haven't been able to post much lately), the bookmarked page wouldn't display.  Had to get in through the main account, then go to book clubs-very tedious.  Should I just re-bookmark, or do we have to go in through the main site now?

Mollywobbles

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:

Hi Connie,  Did B & N do some updating recently (probably a silly question, they probably update the website continuously).  I had my HP page bookmarked, but when I tried to get in yesterday and today (and I haven't been able to post much lately), the bookmarked page wouldn't display.  Had to get in through the main account, then go to book clubs-very tedious.  Should I just re-bookmark, or do we have to go in through the main site now?

Mollywobbles

Hi, Molly.  I got in today through my old bookmark, so I'm not sure what happened for you.  I'm not aware of a change.
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Your bookmark will work if you are already logged in.  If it is the first place you are going to, though, or have timed out on your last session, you will be redirected to the main page where you then have to log in, wait for the page to refresh, and then find the bookclub again.  It is much more tedious than it was in the past when we were automatically logged in.

This has been going on for months for me, Mollywobbles.  I don't know why the change has just reached you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Now they have changed everything!  We no longer get directed to the main page. They now provide two means of logging in.  The one in the top center is the same as the one to shop.  The one in the right top corner works better (more automatically) for me.