Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"

TiggerBear wrote:

Actually is a double jump over scribe status and a loss of her adjective addition, she experianced. Nothing to worry about though.

Huh???  I don't follow that. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

So this is a good thing!  Don't know about you TB, but I'm hating this "posted 3 minutes ago" thing. 

Actually is a double jump over scribe status and a loss of her adjective addition, she experianced. Nothing to worry about though.

Not sure if this is just another glitch, or a deliberate change. Yesterday it had me replying to every single thread, now that's a glich.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Huh???  I don't follow that. 

Okdoky. Despite Mods, authors, and book sellers; the ranking goes like this

Contributor

Scribe

Wordsmith

Bibliofile

so far that is, there may be higher ranks available

You went from C to W, 2 step levels.

But you lost your adjective- frequent, distinguished, ect..  when you did.

BTW if you haven't already visited come over to

The Kingdom of Wordsmithonia

and get your title.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

TiggerBear, I think you might be the one who skipped the Wordsmith rank (or went through it too quickly to notice?), based on what I can deduce from the Kingdom of Wordsmithsonia thread, where folks who entered as Wordsmiths are now Scribes.   I think your next promotion might be to the  revered title of Bibliophile!  (Bows to you  :smileyhappy:  )

Also, I had another thought about the comment I made above about the Elder Wand....  perhaps Rabidia doesn't have one, but instead has found the dreaded Death Quill!  This would be something related to Umbridge's blood quill, except that it causes the blood to spurt from the recipient of the message.... :smileyhappy:

KathyS
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

KathyS wrote:

You guys are killing me!  How I ended up on this board, was a fluke....Agatha put me on a trail of blood....it lead here. 

Mistress Wordsmith, Psychee, you have now reached a higher step in the ranking system, and soon you will understand the true meaning of the title "Wordsmith".  You will continue to gain rank by numerous ways, none of which have anything to do with times you have 'spoken'...aka "Chatty Cathy" Hm....  You will be Inspired, and distinguished in due time.  At those times you will climb higher still, into the rank of Scribe.....beyond that point is by hook or croak....step by step, hand over hand....until you reach Bibliophile. Then more steps to climb to become a three laurel giver within this rank. 

After you have reached this highest rank, you may then take your wand and wave your spells over these unpleasant maliciusmouthevildoers.  I know for whom you speak.  I have the ability to read minds, even in the darkest of nights.  But, beware,

of your spells.  They don't all work.

When I was a Wordsmith, I tried to rid that board of all evil, but time and again I was slammed onto the ground, and stepped upon by the powerful wands that be.  I was applauded for my efforts, by the lowly plebeians....I had courage, and stood, once again.... I took beating after beating, defending the innocent, protecting the lowly, the hurt, the shamed......until I was defending myself.... and it was to no avail.  My wand was taken from me and broken in two, and tossed to the ground.  I picked the broken ends up, and shoved what was left, up, and into all of the orifices I could reach of my enemy....The Large Toll creature was not daunted.  No fear came to this Troll's eyes.  The only resource I found, was to leave them alone to fight amongst themselves, and hopefully destroy themselves in the process.  I am sorry that you had to come into this sorry state and witness these things.....  I will not step foot onto those evil grounds, again.  I made that very clear when I left.... There are some powers I will never have, even as a Bibliophile.

I wish you all well in your future quests.

Stay safe, and stay well.

Kathy S.

Dame Kathy S, we are humbled by your visit to our lowly, but always safe, board.    I am especially humbled by your kindness of sharing with us your own bloody experiences with those evildoers on that OTHER board.   Athough it is sad to learn of so many people having been hurt, it is nevertheless comfort to know that I am in very noble company! 

Hey!  Do you think there is a chance that Rabidia has gotten hold of another Elder Wand / Deathstick ?

I've never met Agatha -- tell her to drop by!  We'll offer her a cuppa tea!

Thanks also for explaining my new title, lol...  though I have to admit that it's difficult for me to figure out how these rankings are determined simply by searching for other titles and checking their statistics.   They must use a complicated spell -- something created by Hermione, perhaps, using Arithmancy and Ancient Runes.  :smileyhappy:

Psychee,

It is my pleasure to be here.  I did not wish to cause a debate over titles, though!  There are times when people are skipped up, by-passing the three steps to each rank, as TiggerBear mentioned.  I do know that  everything is taken into account.  How many threads you have started;  how many tags you've made;  How many posts, etc.;  In my case, they probably counted how many liverspots on my left hand, I'm sure.  I am set at private on these boards, and do not use the 'amenities' that are offered.  They may take that into account, as well.  In which case,  I may never attain the rank of Distinguished.  (As far as I know, Ryan is the only one.  The highest on these boards.)  I have enough trouble getting around these boards, without adding more hurdles to jump over.  If anyone wants to know what I read, I will gladly tell them.  If you want to know what music I listen to....I'll sing you a few bars....if you want to know what movies I like....just ask.  If you want to know more about me....read the Garden Club board...So, you see, I'm pretty open.  Which reminds me, I need to brush my teeth, and head to bed....I'll soon turn into a pumpkin!

Kathy

p.s.

I only wish I had more background in the Harry Potter subject.  I'm afraid I am of no use to you, here.  I've only read the first book....seen the first three movies....so, for the most part,  the names of these things, and characters,  for which you speak, all allude me.    I do remember the three headed dog....the snot nosed Troll....boy, that guy was ugly!  I do remember Hermoine....she was good with a wand!  LOL

Now I will disappear behind Harry's cloak...nite-nite

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

TiggerBear, I think you might be the one who skipped the Wordsmith rank (or went through it too quickly to notice?), based on what I can deduce from the Kingdom of Wordsmithsonia thread, where folks who entered as Wordsmiths are now Scribes.   I think your next promotion might be to the  revered title of Bibliophile!  (Bows to you  :smileyhappy:  )

Also, I had another thought about the comment I made above about the Elder Wand....  perhaps Rabidia doesn't have one, but instead has found the dreaded Death Quill!  This would be something related to Umbridge's blood quill, except that it causes the blood to spurt from the recipient of the message.... :smileyhappy:

(scratching head)  Oh now I'm not sure.

(shrug) They make it difficult to tell. It's not as if ranks on older post stay, as soon as you title changes all your old post have your new title. And it all feels like anytime I bother to look my title isn't what it was last. Not exactly as in it really matters anyway, since all of us are guessing exactly how these ranks are added up. I got a up rank one day the first tag I used. Bibliophile, I'm either 1000 posts short or 150 laurels short. Don't know nor care, I'll get there one day. But I (bow to you). Come over and play in Wordsmithonia some day, it gets silly and quite fun.

I think that quill useage, quite apt. Make it a blood keyboard though.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

I have already visited the Realm of Wordsmithsonia, and it does seem fun.  One of these days, after I have finished reading all the pages, I will post and join for real.  Thanks for the invitation, TB.

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Kreacher, as our resident teacher lady, I have another question for you.

WHY, would you, as a teacher, place a girl in a group of all boys when numbers are even enough that you don't have to?

Why resort to the Anne of Green Gables-esque form of torture?

Seriously. Don't mean to sound rude at all though. Just wondering.

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Agnijay, that happened to me on several occasions when I was in elementary school -- for two different reasons, both of them complimentary.   The first reason was to form a group of the five kids with the highest grades.  The second reason was to group together the class clowns (four "lost boys") and put them together with a "Wendy" figure (me) who could get them to work.  Neither situation caused me any discomfort, but I was always more comfortable among boys than among girls. 

KreacherTeacher may need more information to guess what's going on in the teacher's head in the situation you are describing.

By the way, your post doesn't sound in the least bit rude.

agnijay wrote:

Kreacher, as our resident teacher lady, I have another question for you.

WHY, would you, as a teacher, place a girl in a group of all boys when numbers are even enough that you don't have to?

Why resort to the Anne of Green Gables-esque form of torture?

Seriously. Don't mean to sound rude at all though. Just wondering.

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

As Psychee said, I do need more info. And it isn't that it sounded rude, but at first, it sounded like you really were questioning me personally, and I was scared for a moment thinking that you were one of my kids and that I had done this to you. LOL!

It happens all the time in my class because I don't group kids by gender, typically. I am most comfortable changing seats numerous times throughout a school year. I will try to keep certain kids (friends) together if they aren't disruptive, also meaning if they work well together, but like Psychee said I do also try to see if certain students can "help" in certain situations. But this isn't always fair and can backfire against me. For lack of a better phrase, it's a crap shoot. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Makes sense I suppose.

If you are really bothered by it, tell your teacher that you are and the reasons. I listen to my kids, and depending on the situation, may move them.

Inspired Contributor
AlejandroOchoa
0 Kudos

Hey guys! I'm back! I'm so sorry that I wasn't here for a while but I make a vow to spend as much time here as possible from now on.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Welcome back, Alejandro!

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Psychee wrote:

Connie, is there any chance that you could un-anchor the old OFF Topic thread so that it falls back to page 2?  I keep clicking on it by mistake!

Also, after experiencing much rudeness on another B & N board, I just want to thank you profusely for doing such a great job at keeping our little community here so enjoyable and respectful of one another.   One never fully appreciates what one has until it is no longer there, I guess!  A good moderator makes all the difference in the world!   Two thumbs up for you!

Aw, thanks, Psychee.  Hmm.  I usually unfloat old threads when I put up a new one.  Check your own list of floated threads, too.  I think you can float threads for yourself if you like?  I'll check, though, just to be sure that I didn't leave it up by mistake.

And, yes--sorry, but the boards have been acting funny lately.  I think they've done some "remodelling" from the back room, but they really didn't tell us mods. much about it!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

RE:  New changes

I just discovered something new.  Under profile, you can generate a list of every post you ever made.  My list is 248 pages long, and by clicking on 248, I was able to see my very first post, dated two and half years ago.    It was a simple post in a thread called "Questions for JKR?".    I had two questions, neither of which have ever been answered. 

Maybe you thought she was going to drop by like many authors in the other clubs do--sorry she disappointed!

On the floating old chat thread issue--I remember now--there is something wrong with the thread.  It won't let me unfloat it and only has a button to float it--which it is already doing.   I'm sorry!  I think our old board has a few wrinkles in it by now that might not go away (not unlike its moderator!).

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

ShadowCougar wrote:

I just thought it might be amusing to post this. It is a link to a post by Connie almost two years ago about how we may not have a moderator all that much longer... Congratulations to the people here for keeping this board so busy that Connie has had to stick around for this long :robbery-happy:

I know I tend to be sporadic, but I thought I would say Hi, and "Yippy Skippy" The dark countess has returned! She will reward her faithful servant with cupcakes!

Wow--that was 2 years ago next month!  Thanks for the sentiments, Cougar, and I echo the hearty appreciation for all of our Harry Potter Book Club members!  I've added on several other book clubs here at BN.com since then, but the Harry Potter Book Club will always be special!  :smileyvery-happy:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:

Psychee wrote:

RE:  New changes

I just discovered something new.  Under profile, you can generate a list of every post you ever made.  My list is 248 pages long, and by clicking on 248, I was able to see my very first post, dated two and half years ago.    It was a simple post in a thread called "Questions for JKR?".    I had two questions, neither of which have ever been answered. 

Maybe you thought she was going to drop by like many authors in the other clubs do--sorry she disappointed!

On the floating old chat thread issue--I remember now--there is something wrong with the thread.  It won't let me unfloat it and only has a button to float it--which it is already doing.   I'm sorry!  I think our old board has a few wrinkles in it by now that might not go away (not unlike its moderator!).

Not sure if you're aware. But us humble users can't move or float ANYTHING anymore. How long this lasts? (shrug)

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Wow.  I just got adjecived!  I am so honored!  (Curtsies)

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Not sure if you're aware. But us humble users can't move or float ANYTHING anymore. How long this lasts? (shrug)

No; I didn't know that, Tigger.  Thanks for letting me know.  No; I don't know how long that will last, but if it's a recent change I wonder if it might stay that way for awhile.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Contributor
AlejandroOchoa
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I heard that Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince comes out on DVD on December 7th! I hope that they have release parties everywhere like they did for Twilight. If they do then I'd definetly be first in line.