Reply
Inspired Scribe
Jules934
Posts: 1,581
Registered: ‎06-21-2009
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"

I was taken speechless.  A real Bibliophile.  Here.  In the black pixels, or whatever it is folks are here in, in this medium.  

 

But what are these boards up to?  What?  What?  What?  I just went to edit my post on another thread and instead of opening my text, they shamelessy and rudely threw a whole page of HTML right in my face!!!!!!! 

 

 

I ask you, is Bellatrix haunting us?

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"


Jules934 wrote:

I was taken speechless.  A real Bibliophile.  Here.  In the black pixels, or whatever it is folks are here in, in this medium.  

 

But what are these boards up to?  What?  What?  What?  I just went to edit my post on another thread and instead of opening my text, they shamelessy and rudely threw a whole page of HTML right in my face!!!!!!! 

 

 

I ask you, is Bellatrix haunting us?


 

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, Jules.  We've not really been notified much about what's happening.  We've all run into problems at one time or another.  They're obviously tinkering with the software in the back room.  Hopefully, it will all settle down soon!

~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
Posts: 5,472
Registered: ‎06-14-2007
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"


AlejandroOchoa wrote:

I heard that Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince comes out on DVD on December 7th! I hope that they have release parties everywhere like they did for Twilight. If they do then I'd definetly be first in line.


 

You know; I hadn't thought of it that way, AO.  That would be fun if they did!

~ConnieAnnKirk




[CAK's books , website.]
Frequent Contributor
Lalo
Posts: 54
Registered: ‎11-27-2008
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"

Has anyone read, started or planning to read 'the Lost Symbol'?

 

I've just started it, and am interested to know what others think of it so far?

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"

I just bought it, Lalo, but haven't yet opened it. 

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"


Lalo wrote:

Has anyone read, started or planning to read 'the Lost Symbol'?

 

I've just started it, and am interested to know what others think of it so far?


 

Finished it last night, and am very surprised to not find any discussion about it on the B & N boards yet.  It was un-put-downable, keeping me on the edge of my seat, from cover to cover.

 

More than that, though, I really appreciated the theme of the book.  Whereas "The Da Vinci Code" fueled conspiracy theories, "The Lost Symbol" has addressed a popular conspiracy theory about the Masons by taking the wind out of its sails. 

 

In these days, it is typical of thrillers to leave the reader a bit more paranoid about the world.  But this book is different.  The last word in it is "hope" and that is exactly the emotion I was left with as I completed the volume. 

 

Ron Howard ought to have fun making a movie out of this, and Washington D.C. is likely to have a whole new bunch of tourists looking for hidden symbols in our nation's capital.

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
Posts: 1,234
Registered: ‎07-24-2007
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"


Psychee wrote:

 

Finished it last night, and am very surprised to not find any discussion about it on the B & N boards yet.  It was un-put-downable, keeping me on the edge of my seat, from cover to cover.

 

More than that, though, I really appreciated the theme of the book.  Whereas "The Da Vinci Code" fueled conspiracy theories, "The Lost Symbol" has addressed a popular conspiracy theory about the Masons by taking the wind out of its sails. 

 

In these days, it is typical of thrillers to leave the reader a bit more paranoid about the world.  But this book is different.  The last word in it is "hope" and that is exactly the emotion I was left with as I completed the volume. 

 

Ron Howard ought to have fun making a movie out of this, and Washington D.C. is likely to have a whole new bunch of tourists looking for hidden symbols in our nation's capital.


 

 

Hmm, I wonder if Brown is a member of the Freemasons. I look forward to reading it soon.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"

Someplace on the cover of the book is a code for a phone number to call to get a signed edition, but although I've decoded some of the things on that cover, I haven't yet found anything like a phone number!

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"

OK. decrypted the phone number, called it, got a message to send an email to the publisher, and followed the directions.  I thoroughly doubt that I'm one of the first lucky 33, but I just had to do it!   :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
AlejandroOchoa
Posts: 111
Registered: ‎08-01-2009
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"

Wow. I studied the cover for 2 hours and came up with 3 different phone numbers but none of them were right.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"

Across the front, back, and spine of the dustcover, you will find, in reddish color ink, 10 codes that take the form of a capital letter and a number, such as "H5".  You might need a magnifying glass to really see them well fom amongst all the symbols on the sheet.  Find all 10 and then figure out how to use them (or arrange them) in order to get a phone number. 


AlejandroOchoa wrote:

Wow. I studied the cover for 2 hours and came up with 3 different phone numbers but none of them were right.


 

Inspired Contributor
AlejandroOchoa
Posts: 111
Registered: ‎08-01-2009
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"

[ Edited ]

Found 'em all exept for one. But wrong order. Here they are because I want to help everyone.

 

A2 B1 C2 D7 F2 G9 H5 I1 J5

 

There might be more clues to the order on the cover. On the back I saw a box with letters.

 

 

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"

You still have to find E.  The box with letters on the back cover just decodes (using a key that is part of the text of the book) to read a saying that is also in the book.  So do the symbols in red that are on the back in two rows.  I got those two first.  On the front you will also find some black numbers forming an arc of a circle.  That also decodes to something funny.

B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
Posts: 793
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"

Look I just got a new title too! (Ok, got it a few days ago, got to find a way to be less busy so I can visot more) I should be getting a new avatar soon as well, so you guys can see what I accually look like... eeek.

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"

Congratulations, ShadowCougar!  Will seeing what you actually look like pose a danger to us?  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
Posts: 2,931
Registered: ‎06-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"


Psychee wrote:

Congratulations, ShadowCougar!  Will seeing what you actually look like pose a danger to us?  :smileyhappy:


 

NEVAH!  My little swampduck would never pose a threat to anyone -well, except perhaps to the McGood gang...oops, I'm in danger.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"

Look who's "inspired" again!  Congrats Mollywobbles!

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
Posts: 1,581
Registered: ‎06-21-2009
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"

When I was posting earlier I noticed that the buttons that embellish out text with bold and Italic and Smileys etc are missing. I guess that the admins took those features down to stop those HTML problems. I do hope they can get the problems solved. But I would rather have plain vanilla boards than no boards at all. Go to it folks!!!!!
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"

Yes, the board has become "plain vanilla". However, there is a way to insert paragraph spacing if you use the HTML tab to write your posts.

This is done by typing "br" without the quotes. "br" stands for "break". Before the "br", type a "less than" caret sign, and after the "br" type a "more than" sign. I can't show you what that looks like because the system won't let me.

To get a space between the paragraphs, type that twice, eg. (less than)br(more than)(less than)br(more than).

To bold something, use the tag "b" to start and "/b" to end. Both of these have to be enclosed with those left and right caret marks.

To italicize something, use the tag "i" to start and "/i" to end.

Hopefully, we won't have to do this for long!
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"

Our avatars have taken off their Invisibility Cloaks in the Firefox browser...  but IE must be unplottable for them, because they haven't yet found their way!