Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"

Thanks, have a laurel.

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee

Thanks!  You know what I've recently discovered?  Our ranks not only depend on how many laurels we receive, but on how many we GIVE as well!  And apparently there are no limits on how many you can give.  Lately, while the board has been slow, I've been going through the "tiny questions" thread, where most of our laurel-worthy posts are, and giving out laurels along the way.  It is such a cool thread!

B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

Jules934 wrote:

Hey, Tom, thanks for the clarification.  Aren't we at least a tiny bit know-it-alls?  LoL :smileywink: LoL

Know where I could look to find more on the medal? ....  Anything about the JKR situation?       I'm finding this interesting.

I figure if Bill Gates can get knighted, then JK should be allowed to get a Medal of Freedom.

On a small note. Please don't call me Tom. :smileyvery-happy: I have a bit of a pet peeve about my name being shortened... but feel free to call me Thomas, ShadowCougar (My username before it was changed becuase of me being a bookseller) or Shadow.

ShadowCougar

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Certainly Shadow Cougar.  I have some name preferences too, so I concur.

Bill Gates got knighted?  Didn't realize that.  But I do know a lot of "front line" MS users that would like to crown him.  LoL

I think I'm going to check into things and see what I can come up with on JKR's medal.  The HP phenom has certainly made a great impact. 

One front on which I saw a lot of action which is not getting attention, is related to the number of sites that were created, and followed. 

• They extended computer literacy, esp with adults -- know some who would barely email pre-HP who hit the net constantly.
  • They also increased, are you ready? -- WRITING skills. 
  • And, with theories flowing thick and fast and being expanded and disagreed with -- reasoning and expression  i.e.. THINKING.  Not to mention the Fan Fiction.
  • Art work and illustration...  

Maybe this administration would have a different view.

D'ya think?. 

Any ideas on avenues to explore?

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Jules, for your first point, how about just literacy alone? I know SO many kids that were like "I never liked reading until I read Harry Potter," or "I never liked reading until I saw how hot Fred & George were in the movies and then I thought I'd read the books and now I like reading." I know TOO many girls that have been reeled in on this last one!

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Inspired Contributor
AlejandroOchoa
0 Kudos

Would any of you happen to know how you identify a first edition?

B&N Bookseller
Thomas_T
0 Kudos

Couple of things to say:

You could try and get a group of HP fans to start a letter writing campaign to President Obama to encourage him to give her a medal.

And yes, Bill gates was knighted by the Queen of Great Britain, but can't call himself Sir Bill Gates as he is not a "Subject of the Crown". He can however put  "KBE" After his name (For "Knight of the British Empire")

As to a first edition, I may be wrong, but it should say on the copyright page I think... Which is generally the page just prior to the title page.

"I aim to misbehave" Malcolm Reynolds Serenity
" To die will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
Proud Cupcake Eater in service to the Dark Countess
"Live with Honor, act with Integrity, No Regrets"
Inspired Contributor
AlejandroOchoa
0 Kudos

Thomas_T wrote:

Couple of things to say:

You could try and get a group of HP fans to start a letter writing campaign to President Obama to encourage him to give her a medal.

And yes, Bill gates was knighted by the Queen of Great Britain, but can't call himself Sir Bill Gates as he is not a "Subject of the Crown". He can however put  "KBE" After his name (For "Knight of the British Empire")

As to a first edition, I may be wrong, but it should say on the copyright page I think... Which is generally the page just prior to the title page.

Thanks for that, Shadow. I couldn't find it on google!

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

ShadowCougar wrote in part :

. . .

. . .

Yes, perhaps.  Need to do some research first.    Thanks

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

AlejandroOchoa wrote:

Yes; definitely start with the year of publication and look at the copyright page.  That doesn't solve it, though.  After that you need to look at the string of little numbers at the bottom.  Usually, there needs to be a one in the list there for it to be a first edition.  Also, sometimes the words "First Edition" will be printed above the numbers.

If you bought a Harry Potter book at a midnight book release party, you should have a first edition.  You can look at that one as a model for searching through other copies.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Contributor
AlejandroOchoa
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:

AlejandroOchoa wrote:

Yes; definitely start with the year of publication and look at the copyright page.  That doesn't solve it, though.  After that you need to look at the string of little numbers at the bottom.  Usually, there needs to be a one in the list there for it to be a first edition.  Also, sometimes the words "First Edition" will be printed above the numbers.

If you bought a Harry Potter book at a midnight book release party, you should have a first edition.  You can look at that one as a model for searching through other copies.

Thanks! I ordered a copy of the philosopher's stone from the U.K and wasn't sure whether it was a first edition or not. It had some weird cover art!

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

ConnieK wrote:
in part . . .  

. . . 

Thanks for the info.  I've wondered what those numbers are.  Any other interesting information there?

Inspired Contributor
AlejandroOchoa
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I don't know if anyone knows this already but Harry Potter 1 and 2 ULTAMATE EXENDED EDITIONS are coming and they look awesome! Here is the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0&feature=fvsr

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the link, Alejandro.

But does anyone else besides me get really annoyed at new packaging?  I've purchased those two first films twice already -- once on VHS and then again on DVD -- and now they are trying to tempt me again?  Greedy little suckers, aren't they?

CORRECTION:  I've purchased them three times if you count the in-theatre movie tickets!

Inspired Contributor
AlejandroOchoa
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Psychee wrote:

Thanks for the link, Alejandro.

But does anyone else besides me get really annoyed at new packaging?  I've purchased those two first films twice already -- once on VHS and then again on DVD -- and now they are trying to tempt me again?  Greedy little suckers, aren't they?

I totally agree! I'm still thinking whether it's worth it or not to buy it. It could be a waste of money or it could be something that's not worth missing out on! 5 hours of extras!

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

The DVD's already had several hours of extras, though, didn't they?  Lots of deleted scenes, lots of behind the camera stuff, and on the second DVD it even had a computer game.  So I'm wondering how much of the "new" extras are actually new.

One might easily see whatever new stuff there is on YouTube, don't you think?  Surely, someone will upload them.

Inspired Contributor
AlejandroOchoa
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

The DVD's already had several hours of extras, though, didn't they?  Lots of deleted scenes, lots of behind the camera stuff, and on the second DVD it even had a computer game.  So I'm wondering how much of the "new" extras are actually new.

One might easily see whatever new stuff there is on YouTube, don't you think?  Surely, someone will upload them.

Yeah. That makes sense. I guess I'll save my money for HBP when it comes out on DVD!

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Well, they'll keep re-releasing it as long as enuf folks buy it.  As to how much stuff is totally "new"  ?????????????

Why didn't they just put it in the movie in the 1st place?  

I'm still watching the VHS version, should stand to gain quitea bit from the new one. 

I just wonder if there won't be a "grand finali" when/after all 8 movies are out -- before the xth anniversary editions, that is.

LoL

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Jules934 wrote:

ConnieK wrote:
in part . . .  

. . . 

Thanks for the info.  I've wondered what those numbers are.  Any other interesting information there?

Only interesting info. if you're looking for it, I suppose, Jules!  I can't think of anything off the top of my head.  Ha.  :smileyhappy:  It would be funny if an author buried some kind of code there, like for a mystery, or something.  With everything else that went on, it's almost surprising that JKR and Scholastic didn't think of something like that during the crazy HP days.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Contributor
AlejandroOchoa
0 Kudos

Woo hoo! I think it's time to do the promotion dance!