Author
ConnieAnnKirk

OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"

[ Edited ]

Thanks to all those who made suggestions for the new Off-Topic Cafe thread.  This thread is, as it suggests, a place for news, information, and discussion of topics that may be of interest to Harry Potter fans but does not seem to fit in a thread category directly related to the books, films, or theme park, etc.

Thanks to twilightfann for the suggested name.  twilightfann gives this reason for the choice:

"It could be The Pensieve because it played a huge part in HBP, plus The Pensieve allows people to see thoughts and memories, and everyone can read our thoughts in the thread."

I was looking for something that did play a large part in HBP, and I agree with twilightfann's other comment about memories.  It made me think that much of what we write about the series now has to do with our own memories of encountering Harry Potter and what we remember about the books and other films as we watch the series come to a close.

We'll leave this cafe up for awhile now as we move closer together to the conclusion of the final 2 films.

Look at all the memories we've shared together already--and we're still not done!

Message Edited by ConnieK on 07-09-2009 02:03 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Re: OFF TOPIC Cafe: "The Pensieve"

[ Edited ]

I think it is far easier to get off topic in a thread where I am not supposed to get off-topic. I feel too much pressure in here. I figured I would come in and get it started, but all I can think of is HP stuff to talk about. Maybe that's because the movie is right around the corner. I will let someone else begin the fun.

As I was proofreading my writing (which is not always successful), I did find something off topic (kind of) to discuss:

Do you think Hewlett Packard people are ticked off at Harry Potter because people refer to it as HP? They should throw in HP books with every computer purchase.

There you go. Have at it.

KT

p.s. - I had to edit because I found an error on my second proofing.

Message Edited by Kreacherteacher on 07-09-2009 10:51 PM
Frequent Contributor
mrs_brightside

Yes, Kreacherteacher, that would be awesome: "And with your brand new computer, you also receive the entire works of J.K. Rowling!"
"love is handing someone a gun, and letting it point to your head, believing that he won't pull the trigger."

oliver wood: he's a keeper :smileywink:

make love, not horcruxes.
Wordsmith
twilightfann
0 Kudos

Haha, that would definitely increase computer sales :smileyhappy:
The persons of their world lived in an atmosphere of faint implications and pale delicacies, and the fact that he and she understood each other without a word seemed to the young man to bring them nearer than any explanation would have done.
-The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
Frequent Contributor
mrs_brightside
0 Kudos

I was on my friend's computer the other day, and we were listening to music on Itunes, and her brother had music from this band called Harry and the Potters. I listened to it, and I thought it was hilarious! Their albums include Voldemort Can't Stop the Rock and Priori Incantatem. Some of the songs are Save Ginny Weasley (from the Basilisk), Gryffindor Rocks, The Wrath of Hermione, Save Ginny Weasley from Dean Thomas, In which Draco Malfoy Cries like a Baby, and Cornelius Fudge is an A*s. The song Accio Hagrid made me laugh out loud. 
"love is handing someone a gun, and letting it point to your head, believing that he won't pull the trigger."

Contributor
bookluver22
0 Kudos

haha those bands made me laugh as well :smileyhappy:

iv'e always wanted to go and see them live because iv'e heard that once a year all the harry potter bands get together and have a huge performance! 

" just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doen't mean we all have."

"Hermione drew herself to her full height; her eyes were narrowed and her hair seemed to crackle with electricity, "No", she said, her voice quivering with anger,"but I will write to your mother"
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Just in case anyone's wondering--the old cafe is still at the top of our screens because the button that will let me drop it down is broken, somehow.  I'll have to ask the guys out back if they can fix it.....

Sorry for the inconvenience.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Well, I guess the Off Topic Cafe is the place for this, if anything is.

I was just reading the flurry of posts on the Introduce Yourself thread, and noticed that you guys were talking about a theory that Minerva McGonagall was evil.  I LOVE fan theories.  Is that one still here somewhere/can s'one  tell me about it?  Thanks.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

PattyBNUChick laid out her entire theory of McGonagall's evilness in the second post of this page:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=HarryPotter&message.id=12643&query.id=... 

Scroll down to the part where she says "My McGonagall Theory"...  Bear in mind that this was written just before Deathly Hallows came out.

Jules934 wrote:

Well, I guess the Off Topic Cafe is the place for this, if anything is.

I was just reading the flurry of posts on the Introduce Yourself thread, and noticed that you guys were talking about a theory that Minerva McGonagall was evil.  I LOVE fan theories.  Is that one still here somewhere/can s'one  tell me about it?  Thanks.

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Spent a good deal of time over there -- Thanks.  A lot of really good reasoning and logic -- and, if just one thing had been different --------------------
Message Edited by Jules934 on 07-18-2009 06:41 PM
Frequent Contributor
mrs_brightside
0 Kudos

This is as good a board as any to announce that I will be on vacation in Vermont for the next 2 weeks and I will not have internet access (the horror, I know). So, farewell for a little while!

And after reading Patty's assessment of McGonnagal, I am convinced that she's right. (Although I still believe that Barty Crouch Sr. is not dead and is in Cahoots with Voldemort, but this is not the place or time for that!)

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher

[ Edited ]

mrs_brightside wrote:

This is as good a board as any to announce that I will be on vacation in Vermont for the next 2 weeks and I will not have internet access (the horror, I know). So, farewell for a little while!

And after reading Patty's assessment of McGonnagal, I am convinced that she's right. (Although I still believe that Barty Crouch Sr. is not dead and is in Cahoots with Voldemort, but this is not the place or time for that!)

WHAT! You can't make pronouncements like that and then say you'll not have internet access for 2 weeks. How on earth am I, are we, to argue with yer faulty reasoning? I dunno that I will remember my argument in two weeks. Oh well, have a great vacation. Perhaps we should rename this thread "Off yer rocker cafe".

Sheesh, what's the world coming to? Next thing you know, someone's gonna say Dumbledore was gay.

Message Edited by Kreacherteacher on 07-18-2009 10:38 PM
Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

LoL  Dumbledore gay?  That is out of the question!  Who would ever say that?  LoL

Totally off topic ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Were any of you watching History Channel's replay of the Apollo 11 flight this evening?  Any of you around to see the original broadcasts????????   As far as I'm concerned, it was almost as exciting as the first time around.

When the module was coming in for its landing and they were reading off the down and forward numbers ~~~~~~~ I could feel it move and then land.  Silly. but, like parallel parking a car for the 1st time, which is as close to landing on the moon as I'll ever get.  And then when the lander took off . . .  A bunch of us were watching it in front of a TV at work and we were all cheering and dancing around!

Any comments? 

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Yes, I saw it on the History Channel and I also saw it when it originally happened.  In fact, I have a bunch of photos of what we saw on the TV set back in 1969 -- my dad went through two rolls of films capturing the landing and later walk.

Walter Cronkite did a fantastic job of commentary -- he really captured the awe and wonder, letting the story unfold pretty much all by itself.  I don't think any anchorman today could have done the same -- they would have filled in all the silences with discussion of sordid behind-the-scenes events, pushing the sensational, and missing the moment of innocent wonder, I think.

Jules934 wrote:

Totally off topic ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Were any of you watching History Channel's replay of the Apollo 11 flight this evening?  Any of you around to see the original broadcasts????????   As far as I'm concerned, it was almost as exciting as the first time around.

When the module was coming in for its landing and they were reading off the down and forward numbers ~~~~~~~ I could feel it move and then land.  Silly. but, like parallel parking a car for the 1st time, which is as close to landing on the moon as I'll ever get.  And then when the lander took off . . .  A bunch of us were watching it in front of a TV at work and we were all cheering and dancing around!

Any comments? 

Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I haven't been able to post as often lately, but I just noticed that new titles have been given to people...for example Psychee is "Distinguished Correspondent"-how true!  Others are Inspired Contributor, Wordsmith etc.  When did this start?  Kind of nifty.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

I'm not all that sure how it works, but I'm guessing the noun part (e.g. Correspondent, Contributor, Scribe) comes from how many posts we make while the adjective part (distinguished, inspired, etc.) comes from the number of laurels we've received.   Other boards hand out laurels more freely than this one, but then the conversations on other boards (especially Current Events) tend to be a lot more serious. 

I think it might have started around the time the laurels system started. 

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I popped over to the Community Board, a place I rarely go, and found a thread on how you earn your rank.  This new system seems to be causing quite a snit in certain quarters, and quite a bit of humour as well.

Apparently, as you say, it has to do with the number of posts, numbers of laurels given and received, number of threads started, number of posts viewed, and time logged on-however, the formula is still a mystery. 

Psychee wrote:

I'm not all that sure how it works, but I'm guessing the noun part (e.g. Correspondent, Contributor, Scribe) comes from how many posts we make while the adjective part (distinguished, inspired, etc.) comes from the number of laurels we've received.   Other boards hand out laurels more freely than this one, but then the conversations on other boards (especially Current Events) tend to be a lot more serious. 

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:

I popped over to the Community Board, a place I rarely go, and found a thread on how you earn your rank.  This new system seems to be causing quite a snit in certain quarters, and quite a bit of humour as well.

Apparently, as you say, it has to do with the number of posts, numbers of laurels given and received, number of threads started, number of posts viewed, and time logged on-however, the formula is still a mystery. 

Psychee wrote:

Yes, Mollywobbles and Psychee--the system started some time ago--about the time of the institution of the Laurels.  I've copied/pasted Jon_B's posting about all of this, plus more.  It's dated February 19, 2009, in the Community Room.  You can see the thread, including discussion and questions following his original post, here.

From Admin. Jon_B:

Hello Everyone!

I am pleased to announce the release of a number of new features for the Book Clubs and the Barnes&Noble.com community at large.   Here’s a list of what’s new, which I will explain in greater detail below.

• Over 150 new avatars
  • My Library expanded to hold up to 5,000 titles
  • Laurels – a voting system for Book Clubs posts
  • Q&A – a special “question and answer” system for use in certain Book Clubs boards
  • A new, more extensive and dynamic ranking system for the Book Clubs
  • Ability to post images of book covers on the Book Clubs using the “Add Product” button
  • Book Clubs statistics now show up on your My B&N profile page
  • Signing in and out of the Book Clubs is now smoother and simpler
  • Search results for CDs and DVDs when adding to lists are more accurate
  • Suggested titles are now randomized daily
  • New Book Clubs boards that take advantage of these new features

New Avatars 

We are now offering a much larger and substantially more diverse collection of avatars.  Since the avatars are now so numerous and varied, we’ve created categories for them. 

In order to see the new avatar selection (and to change your avatar), click on the red “My B&N” button up on the top of the page.   This will take you to your M y B&N profile – you should see your avatar on the top left side of the page, with a button below to change it.   This brings up a window with all the avatars you can choose from.  When you are looking at the available avatars, simply click on the list of avatars on the left-hand side of the window to see all the different kinds we have to offer.

My Library 

In response to the amount of reading our community has been doing, My Library has now been expanded to hold a total of 5,000 books, movies, and DVDs.

Laurels 

Laurels – the new green buttons that you see on the right side of every message - are a way of showing your appreciation for a post that you’ve read here on the Book Clubs.   Did someone say something that you think is insightful, funny, or profound; something that made you look at a book in a new way, or helped you learn something?  Simply click on the green button to reward that post with laurels.  Getting laurels  from other users – and giving them out yourself – contributes to your rank here at the Book Clubs and will eventually grant you the ability to give larger numbers of laurels – as well as access to special features.

Q&A 

Q&A is a new feature that is designed to make certain boards more efficient.  Since this feature will have slightly different uses in the different boards where it appears, I’ll post detailed explanations in those boards.

Tags 

Tags are a new feature that helps you keep track of information in the way that makes the most sense to you.  If you see a lot of different posts in different boards that are all about a certain genre of fiction, you can give all of those posts the same tag – and then use that tag to pull up all of those posts in different areas.  You can use a tag to indicate a subject of interest in a post, a particular author, a note that you’d like to  see more information on the topic, or anything you like.  And other users’ tags are visible to you as well, so if you see that someone’s tagging posts in a useful way, you can use those same tags and add posts to them yourself as well.

Ranks 

While we’ve had ranking system here on the Book Clubs for quite some time, the community has long since outgrown it – most regular poster became “Frequent Contributors” some time ago. 

We are now introducing more ranks to accounts for the growth of our community as well as many of the new features we’ve introduced. 

The newer ranks aren’t based only o n your post count – they’re based on your overall community activity.  This includes not only your post count but things like the number of threads you’ve initiated, the number of laurels that you’ve received and that you’ve given to other users, the tags that you’ve contributed to the community and so on.   As you advance in rank you’ll not only be able to give out larger numbers of laurels, but you’ll have access to special features and posting privileges. 

Expanded “Add Product” Button 

We’ve expanded the functionality of our “Add Product” button so that you can now include images of book covers in your Book Clubs posts.

My B&N 

Your My B&N profile now includes data about your Book Clubs activities, including your rank, number of posts, number of laurels, and the last three threads that you posted.  This information appears in the “My B&N Book Clubs” section of your profile once you have been active in the Book Clubs.

Signing In and Signing Out

We’ve made some technical changes that make the process of signing in to Barnes&Noble.com and the Book Clubs simpler and faster.   For more detailed discussion of this issue please see the “Signing In and Signing Out” thread in our Help board.

My Favorite DVDs and CDs

When you search for DVDs and CDs to add to My Library, to your favorites, or to an EssentiaList, the results are now substantially more accurate.

Suggested Titles 

The Suggested Titles appearing at the top of your  My B&N profile are now changed daily.

New Boards 

Last but not least – we’ve started a couple new boards which put some of these great new features into practice.  They’re still in “beta” right now – but please jump in and check them out!  More details on how these new boards work and what they are all about will be posted in the boards themselves.

We hope you enjoy all of these new features we’ve worked hard to bring to you!  If you have any questions or comments, please post them in this thread.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I had rather hoped that ShadowCougar might drop in after the release of HBP.  Since the Countess turned up, I thought her devoted follower might put in an appearance too. 

Yo!  ShadowCougar, the cupcake supply is running low.:smileywink:

Wordsmith
Kat-NE
0 Kudos

I thought that I would put on here that I just got back from seeing the American Idols concert in Memphis.  If anyone here is going, I wanted to say that it was great.  There is nothing like seeing it live.  Adam Lambert is #1.