Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Pottermore

So it's official now. Rowling plans to unveil her e-books, but in an interactive way and under her own website. Very interesting, Potter fans. It begs the questions: how many websites like this one will survive when she opens the site in October? I wonder what this will do to Mugglenet, Leaky Cauldron, etc. She will have the ultimate interactive place for the "literary experience".

Chime in with your opinions.

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

Re: Pottermore

One other question that I think is worthy of discussion here was also discussed in the article..."how should books be in a digital world?"

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'd say it depends on how interactive it is.  jkrowling.com is interactive, but there's no way to respond/comment/etc.  I don't think she'd want to assume the responsibility of an open board like this.

But the fad is fading.  don't know how much longer B&N will keep this going. 

How should internet-books be?  IMHO they must be as profitable to the

• authors who write them,
  • editors who edit them,
  • artists who illustrate them,
  • typesetters and press men who manufacture them.
  • publishers who publish them,
  • and booksellers that make them available.etc., as they are now. 

There are many jobs in the publishing industry and you just shouldn't pull the rug out from the folks who have made their living providing them.

New User
biblaxer12
0 Kudos

I'm still confused as to what exactly Pottermore is. Will is be a game as well as a reading experience?

Reader 4
chefdave46

Well I think because she lost too much control over the movies, she has no intention of losing control of the print and ditigal media I am quite looking forward to it's arrival
Chef Dave 46
New User
rondaisy
0 Kudos

I'm wondering if these eBooks will be compatible with the Nook?

Rondaisy

"Dobby never meant to kill, Dobby only meant to main--or seriously injure."
Dobby, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows--Part1"
Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

biblaxer12 wrote:

I'm still confused as to what exactly Pottermore is. Will is be a game as well as a reading experience?

Try to relax.  JKR will little bits of information out at  times of her choosing  to keep people interested.   The more confused people are, the more interested they will be.:smileysurprised: 

Reader 4
Lvquilting
0 Kudos

My understanding is that JK Rowlings will make the book compatible to all e-readers

Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

The news is totally exciting. Although the website will be interactive its not going to be anything like Facebook or Twitter. The interactive part of it will be more in the sense that we as readers get to be part of the story. We get to be sorted into a house and collect points for our house, and compete for the house cup. We will be able to read all the books online as well as purshase things right from there.
LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

I read about the ebooks in Publishers Weekly. It wasn't known if other products will be on the Pottermore site along with the ebooks. They said that the site should have the books available in October.

I didn't know she hadn't had control over the movies.

This is great that the Potter books will be ebooks.

Wordsmith
Sheripie55
0 Kudos

dayrenm wrote:
The news is totally exciting. Although the website will be interactive its not going to be anything like Facebook or Twitter. The interactive part of it will be more in the sense that we as readers get to be part of the story. We get to be sorted into a house and collect points for our house, and compete for the house cup. We will be able to read all the books online as well as purshase things right from there.

so we get to get sorted into houses?! that is soo cool. I wonder how that's going to work out. and I really love the idea of this website. I, along with other obviously, had been quite a bit confused as to what this website was going to be like. After reading this description of it though, I am even more excited to get onto it.

don't look back, there is a reason why your past is the past. so if someone didn't make it into your future. that just means that you will find someone better.
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

Has everyone gotten a chance to register for the early registration into Pottermore?

LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

I am loving Pottermore!! Got sorted into Ravenclaw! Has anyone else gotten there Welcome Email?

LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!
Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

I have not.  It's quite frustrating.

Inspired Contributor
dayrenm
0 Kudos

awe hang in there, October is right around the corner. You will love the site, it is sooooo wicked. 

LONG LIVE HARRY POTTER!!