Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Re: Question

I wonder what happened to percy after the Battle and after he realized how wrong he was for choosing his ambition over his family? I wont think him a bad person if he still pursued his career, although I would thinkhe became a lot more humble and helpful to others after everything that happened.
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Distinguished Correspondent
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I think Percy redeemed himself and reconciled with the family. I always suspected he would come to his senses at the eleventh hour, and certainly Fred's death was a real shock to him. From what little we hear of him in the epilogue, he is still holding forth, and I don't know that Percy will ever cease to be ambitious, but that doesn't make him a bad person, as you say. He's still going to be a pretty pompous guy, but at least he has made up with his family. It would be interesting to know what kind of a job he has and whether Ron "outranks" him.

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
I wonder what happened to percy after the Battle and after he realized how wrong he was for choosing his ambition over his family? I wont think him a bad person if he still pursued his career, although I would thinkhe became a lot more humble and helpful to others after everything that happened.

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

I can bet you my fairyfeather-dusterbuster that percy will create the oddest WWW products for brainy crazies like him!
I can just imagine eyeglasses with wipers and stuff like that.
He can definitely be in charge of the financial planning and promotion of the ‘company’! but I suppose he wen t on with something more suited for his personality. I mean, Hermione went on and became head of magical law enforcement. (so much more mature than writing to the criminals mothers! Remember fred and george?) lol!

Percy’s story is relatable too (is that the right word?)…kids being ashamed of their parents…and all that
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
hprocks2121
0 Kudos

the ministry should have just said to hell with the NEWTs-- just be an Auror because he defeated the most evil wizard of all time. why would you make him take them; he's gone through more in 7 years than multiple people have in their whole lives.

"I love Sirius!"
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. --Ferris Beuller
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I think it would have been great for the kids to go back for their final year, and their N.E.W.T.s It would be a way of putting the previous year behind them and focusing on their futures. Besides, as I believe Psychee said, Harry had a lot of magic to learn if he wanted to be an Auror. Throughout his adventures, he had a lot of help from Hermione and Ron, as well as creatures like Fawkes and Buckbeak, and other beings like Firenze and Dobby. He should have the opportunity to finish his education and start off on the same footing as other auror candidates.

hprocks2121 wrote:
the ministry should have just said to hell with the NEWTs-- just be an Auror because he defeated the most evil wizard of all time. why would you make him take them; he's gone through more in 7 years than multiple people have in their whole lives.

"I love Sirius!"

Frequent Contributor
halfscripts
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mollywobbles wrote:
I wonder how much work there was for Aurors in the post-voldemort world? Pretty well all of the death eaters were identified because they came to the fight-some were killed, of course, or rounded up immediately following the battle. Would the surviving death eaters go into hiding, and the job of the aurors would be to track them down? I suppose if they were really good at concealment, it could take a while, but would there be enough death eaters in hiding to justify a big department? Would there be other jobs the aurors would take on? Seems that Harry might just work himself out of a job in time.

Remember, too, that just because Voldemort has been defeated, doesn't mean that a) the Death Eaters were completely wiped out b) there aren't still dark wizards out there. Take WWII for example: yes, Hitler died, the war ended, the Nazis were apprehended... but here we are in 2007 and there's still quite a bit of crime. The same is true for the wizarding world.

Message Edited by halfscripts on 12-16-2007 11:20 AM

Oh, how wrong we were to think that immortality meant never dying.
Proud B&N Musicseller since 2005!
myspace.com/railroadsounds
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I think the death eaters were pretty much either killed, rounded up, or at the very least identified, and your analogy to the search for Nazis is a good one. However, leaderless and in hiding, the escaped death eaters probably didn't pose much of a threat. The search would go on, but there wouldn't be much of an imminent threat unless some other leader came out of the woodwork to rally the remaining wizards.

I wonder what other dark wizards are? We've always tended to define dark wizards, or witches, in terms of being Voldemort supporters, just not necessarily in the inner circle of death eaters. What would other dark wizards do that would be a hazzard to the wizarding world? If they lacked a leader like Voldemort, wouldn't they be just ordinary criminal types-perhaps worse than petty criminals like Mundungus, but just individuals acting contrary to the rules of the wizarding world?

halfscripts wrote:

Mollywobbles wrote:
I wonder how much work there was for Aurors in the post-voldemort world? Pretty well all of the death eaters were identified because they came to the fight-some were killed, of course, or rounded up immediately following the battle. Would the surviving death eaters go into hiding, and the job of the aurors would be to track them down? I suppose if they were really good at concealment, it could take a while, but would there be enough death eaters in hiding to justify a big department? Would there be other jobs the aurors would take on? Seems that Harry might just work himself out of a job in time.

Remember, too, that just because Voldemort has been defeated, doesn't mean that a) the Death Eaters were completely wiped out b) there aren't still dark wizards out there. Take WWII for example: yes, Hitler died, the war ended, the Nazis were apprehended... but here we are in 2007 and there's still quite a bit of crime. The same is true for the wizarding world.

Message Edited by halfscripts on 12-16-2007 11:20 AM

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
I wonder what other dark wizards are? We've always tended to define dark wizards, or witches, in terms of being Voldemort supporters, just not necessarily in the inner circle of death eaters. What would other dark wizards do that would be a hazzard to the wizarding world? If they lacked a leader like Voldemort, wouldn't they be just ordinary criminal types-perhaps worse than petty criminals like Mundungus, but just individuals acting contrary to the rules of the wizarding world?

Any anti-social wizard with revenge in his heart, especially if he or she is imagining that many people have thwarted him in some way, could turn very dark... don't you think?

I imagine that things would have been pretty quiet along those lines for a few years at least after Voldemort died, but twisted people don't control their impulses for very long...
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

But surely there were anti-social wizards in the days before Voldemort. I don't expect the wizarding world is much different in that respect. But tell me why they should be dealt with any differently than other wizard criminals? Wasn't Voldemort's leadership the unifying factor?

Psychee wrote:

Mollywobbles wrote:

Any anti-social wizard with revenge in his heart, especially if he or she is imagining that many people have thwarted him in some way, could turn very dark... don't you think?

I imagine that things would have been pretty quiet along those lines for a few years at least after Voldemort died, but twisted people don't control their impulses for very long...

Inspired Wordsmith
Kreacherteacher
0 Kudos

I may be getting into a convo that's over my head, but they had aurors prior to Voldy. They also had all that weird stuff in the MoM headquarters. So surely there were bad witches and wizards all along. But Voldemort definitely took it to another level with his horcruxes and ganglike leadership skills.

They said Heil (sp?) Hitler to salute Hitler. I wonder what they said to salute Voldy. "Vile Voldemort"?
Frequent Contributor
macross
0 Kudos

wasnt it just a bow and a "My lord"
On a wing and a prayer.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Mollywobbles wrote:
But surely there were anti-social wizards in the days before Voldemort. I don't expect the wizarding world is much different in that respect. But tell me why they should be dealt with any differently than other wizard criminals? Wasn't Voldemort's leadership the unifying factor?

Psychee wrote:

Are you wondering why some bad wizards are dealt with by the Aurors and others are handled by men like Mr. Weasley?

I think the difference might be along the lines of the difference between felony and misdemeanor -- muggle-baiting with regurgitating toilets would be a kind of misdeamenor... it isn't really hurting anyone, just confusing and annoying them...

There could also be a line drawn as to what kind of magic the bad wizard is using... casting a charm on a toilet isn't Dark Magic, but murdering someone with an AK would be the kind of thing that someone specially trained to protect himself while arresting the criminal (Aurors) would have to deal with...
Frequent Contributor
macross
0 Kudos

I think Aurors are like the SWAT the police use. Specialized and trained in defense and attack.
On a wing and a prayer.
Frequent Contributor
chana56
0 Kudos

Of course there were dark or bad wizards before Riddle......Grindelwald being the first who comes to mind. He became so much of a menace that DD finally had to stop him. We need only to look around our own world to see that some people abuse power in the most frightening ways. And there are always those who follow that power...whether they call themselves Death Eaters or not. While Riddle may have delved deeper into the ways of magic than many, he wasn't the first, he won't be the last.

I would only hope that Harry (with his revolutionized department) does the best job possible so that none can wreak the devastation that Riddle managed.
Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

On the other hand, if serious evil breaks out again in the wizarding world, we might get another Harry book :smileyhappy:

While Riddle may have delved deeper into the ways of magic than many, he wasn't the first, he won't be the last.

I would only hope that Harry (with his revolutionized department) does the best job possible so that none can wreak the devastation that Riddle managed.

Frequent Contributor
hihi
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I wonder why none of the true Death Eaters never used a time-turner to go back in time to stop Voldemort from trying to kill Harry.

Message Edited by hihi on 01-11-2008 09:14 PM
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
That time-turner device is problematic on so many levels, I think, if readers allow themselves to think about it (which JKR is crafty at moving readers' attentions away from). Why wasn't it used in any number of scenarios to turn back unfortunate events, you know what I mean--to go back before Harry's parents were even killed, for instance?

~ConnieK

hihi wrote:
I wonder why none of the true Death Eaters never used a time-turner to go back in time to stop Voldemort from trying to kill Harry.

Message Edited by ConnieK on 01-11-2008 09:17 PM
~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

The time turners were under ministry control-remember McGonagall had to write and get special permission for Hermione to have one-not likely the death eaters would get one. After the battle in the MOM in OOTP, all the time turners were destroyed, so they couldn't get them after the takeover of the ministry.

hihi wrote:

Mollywobbles
0 Kudos

I think it is problematic, but it's probably a leap of faith we are used to. Thinking back to the Star Trek series (I was an avid trekkie-fan of the original series) we accepted that the space/time continuum could be breached. The risk was that you could, by the smallest action, change the future in ways that you couldn't imagine. If somebody had used a time turner to go back and prevent the Potter deaths, Voldey's Ak wouldn't have rebounded, making the accidental horcrux which linked Harry and Voldey, thereby providing the way to defeat Voldey. Complicated, isn't it?

ConnieK wrote:
That time-turner device is problematic on so many levels, I think, if readers allow themselves to think about it (which JKR is crafty at moving readers' attentions away from). Why wasn't it used in any number of scenarios to turn back unfortunate events, you know what I mean--to go back before Harry's parents were even killed, for instance?

~ConnieK

hihi wrote:
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Oh, that's right. I forgot about that, MW! That's JKR's built-in limitation for readers who may have wondered why it couldn't be used more often. Fantasy writers have to think of these things, eh? :smileywink:

~ConnieK

Mollywobbles wrote:
The time turners were under ministry control-remember McGonagall had to write and get special permission for Hermione to have one-not likely the death eaters would get one. After the battle in the MOM in OOTP, all the time turners were destroyed, so they couldn't get them after the takeover of the ministry.

hihi wrote:

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]